Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealing with noisy neighbours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭lilywhitearmy

If you can't hear a thing through the walls then you are extremely lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Housing estates are a pain sometimes, luckily I don’t mind noise, currently listening to loud cheesy music from above, sounds like a bit of a session, different music from next door, people out the back talking, and then kids from another side :-D

but can understand how kids repeatedly bouncing balls off your window is annoying. It’s just rude and most people would tell there kids to be more careful just to keep peace. They sound like Morans but I’d keep friendly with them otherwise you’ll be targeted by other kids!

You should just start being annoying at the time they are using your garden, Start weeding your garden listening to Joe Duffy on your iPhone and just hang out in your front garden and they’ll probably not want to be there

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭argolis

D3V!L wrote: »

Anyway, I have the entire thing recorded on my CCTV and I'm going to the Gardai with it. Going to your neighbours door and accusing them of harassing little girls is a serious accusation.

Isn't technology great :D

Don't know for sure, but I think you have to have a warning up that there's CCTV in operation e.g. sticker on the porch/livingroom window, otherwise you may not be allowed to use the footage in court/legal proceedings. Maybe someone else can confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Since I've clearly been tagged as a "grumpy old man" , I'm going to try and save face and elaborate.

Our house was vacant for about a year so there was as far as we can tell they were football playing in front of it for a long time unchallenged and in our back garden.

In the past month we're here we had a basketball hit the living room window (which is 2 meters from the path) 3 times in total. The same kids also decided that our driveway which runs along the side of our house is a great place to play football. It starts 3 meters from the road, so they had to walk up it. They were perplexed when they were told not to play there. One also fell in our driveway and hurt herself.

I have zero problems with the noise of children playing. I love kids, we dont and can't have our own so I love to hear them around. I'm also not a stranger to noise having lived in a very busy estate beside a hospital previously in a very old house with no sound proofing or insulation.

Thanks for all the comments.

I had this situation!
    Bought a house that had been unoccupied for at least a year. it's a problem. Local kids had taken to playing outside it and near to it as it was empty. I also moved in to the constant sound of ball banging, etc and, while I was happy enough that kids had somewhere to play, it was driving me bananas that it was focused so much near my house.
    Here's how it was eventually solved for me:

1. In my case, the kids weren't doing anything wrong. They were just playing. I used to try to spend a good amount of time in my garden. Cleaning out the car or doing the grass or hedges or whatever. It was just to kinda make my presence known. It took time but eventually the kids kinda learnt that the house was occupied now and wasn't part of their play area.

2. My property was my property was my property. They played hide and seek in the garden once and I moved them on. Politely. And I didn't have to explain myself to anyone. My property. No one there if I didn't want them.

It took a while but now kids just play generally on the road. My house is no longer the focus.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

argolis wrote: »
    Don't know for sure, but I think you have to have a warning up that there's CCTV in operation e.g. sticker on the porch/livingroom window, otherwise you may not be allowed to use the footage in court/legal proceedings. Maybe someone else can confirm.

I think that’s only of the cctv has the impact on your privacy or your expected privacy. If it’s only recording the OP’s site then they may be ok.

*im open to correction on that btw

Edit - small article on cctv
    https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/legal-advice/why-your-cctv-system-could-be-breaking-the-law-36543060.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

argolis wrote: »

Not for private use. Recording your own property for security isn't a data protection issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

kceire wrote: »
    I think that’s only of the cctv has the impact on your privacy or your expected privacy. If it’s only recording the OP’s site then they may be ok.

*im open to correction on that btw

Edit - small article on cctv
    https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/legal-advice/why-your-cctv-system-could-be-breaking-the-law-36543060.html

Terrible article, not a surprise from the indo though! Op isn't a data controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

Mousewar wrote: »
    I had this situation!
    Bought a house that had been unoccupied for at least a year. it's a problem. Local kids had taken to playing outside it and near to it as it was empty. I also moved in to the constant sound of ball banging, etc and, while I was happy enough that kids had somewhere to play, it was driving me bananas that it was focused so much near my house.
    Here's how it was eventually solved for me:

1. In my case, the kids weren't doing anything wrong. They were just playing. I used to try to spend a good amount of time in my garden. Cleaning out the car or doing the grass or hedges or whatever. It was just to kinda make my presence known. It took time but eventually the kids kinda learnt that the house was occupied now and wasn't part of their play area.

2. My property was my property was my property. They played hide and seek in the garden once and I moved them on. Politely. And I didn't have to explain myself to anyone. My property. No one there if I didn't want them.

It took a while but now kids just play generally on the road. My house is no longer the focus.

I would take this advice op. Also you mentioned about the flower bed needing flowers so get some plants and next time they are out you get out and start working on it, they won't want to be playing next to an adult doing their gardening!. They'll get the idea soon enough. If your genuinely worried about them breaking a window just politely tell them it has hit off the window a few times and if they break it they are paying for it, they hopefully won't want to risk their parents forking out for a new window. My friend actually had this problem where kids were playing football basically in her driveway, she was also worried they would break a window and politely but firmly told them they couldn't play there because if they broke a window she'd have to get their parents to pay for any damage, seemed to work, they moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Thestones wrote: »
    I would take this advice op. Also you mentioned about the flower bed needing flowers so get some plants and next time they are out you get out and start working on it, they won't want to be playing next to an adult doing their gardening!. They'll get the idea soon enough. If your genuinely worried about them breaking a window just politely tell them it has hit off the window a few times and if they break it they are paying for it, they hopefully won't want to risk their parents forking out for a new window. My friend actually had this problem where kids were playing football basically in her driveway, she was also worried they would break a window and politely but firmly told them they couldn't play there because if they broke a window she'd have to get their parents to pay for any damage, seemed to work, they moved on.

I did and what happened next sparked this whole thing. They lied to their parents and made me out to be the big bad wolf. Of course the parents believed them because the kids are incapable of lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Erm... noise cancelling headphones?

• Advertisement

MrVestek wrote: »
    Erm... noise cancelling headphones?

I'll drop them in a couple of pairs. My wife loves Axis of Perdition and we're getting some new speakers soon :D

The relentless drumming of the ball outside our window has continued and is actually them just sitting on a little wall and banging the ball repeatedly. Turns out they aren't even playing with it.

It went into the flower bed again and this time I kept it. That didn't go down too well and after dealing with the father again we realised that it's simply the parents that are the issue. There was no compromise and he refused to see the issue from our point of view at all. No matter how it was broached.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

The relentless drumming of the ball outside our window has continued and is actually them just sitting on a little wall and banging the ball repeatedly. Turns out they aren't even playing with it. ..

is it your wall or a wall beside your property that the ball is hitting?

If it's your wall could you attach a bit of trellis so the ball won't bounce back so easily. if it's not your wall then what can you do? Not sure keeping their ball will stop it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Once it's not going on late at night then that's just the price of city living. Not to take away from your problems but I had Alcoholics who inherited a house beside me. They partied all night and the only respite came from 10am until about 4pm. They frequently fought with each other and played blaring trad music all night and into the morning. Sometimes they'd be passed out and the music would stay on all day. I had to move because Guards did nothing to stop it. It really effected my sleep - stress levels and my children's lives so we just decided to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

It went into the flower bed again and this time I kept it. That didn't go down too well and after dealing with the father again we realised that it's simply the parents that are the issue. There was no compromise and he refused to see the issue from our point of view at all. No matter how it was broached.

Why did you bother interacting with the father again?

Ball comes into your flowerbed, take it inside and dont answer the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

if you have it on camera then I would say so to the parents.

Kids lie all the time, it is no doubt a trick picked up by the parents, kids learn really quick how to work a situation to their advantage.
    We have a kid in our estate who cant get along with other kids, hits them all, kicks balls away etc, but every time he sees an adult coming and is fighting he just bursts out in tears, actors couldnt do it as good.

Que parents getting involved and his parent think he is being bullied.

Thankfully it was pattern noticed by a few and the parent was spoken to on it. getting better but kids can be dangerous if they want, and parents who believe them to the point of excluding other views is as bad

....... wrote: »

We had no choice after he came onto our property , up our side driveway and started banging on our garden gate. He decided to bring another neighbour with him who he told we were shouting at their kids too.

To top it off he actually tried to stop my wife from closing the gate. We've decided at this point to talk to a solicitor and then the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

....... wrote: »

This is against the law:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2001/act/50/section/4/enacted/en/html#sec4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Fian wrote: »

Actually, cleaning rubbish out of your flowerbed cannot be construed as being against the law.

How would the OP know where a ball came from that he removed from his flowerbed?

And no one answers the door to strange callers.......

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yup. I have to put up with hundreds of birds singling outside my house all the time.
    They just won't shut up :D

The skylark here starts now around half past 3 am.. Actually I often get up then anyways,,,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The ball was gifted to the OP. Which of that which is in the link would apply to the OP?

Maybe balance that against trespass by the ball on your property and damage done by said ball..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Anyway, I have the entire thing recorded on my CCTV and I'm going to the Gardai with it. Going to your neighbours door and accusing them of harassing little girls is a serious accusation.

Isn't technology great :D

Calm down OP. You'll look a right tool if you go reporting kids kicking a ball around to your Gardai.

Kids need freedom but at the same time should be brought up with manners and borders. Hitting someone's window is not right, you have every right to complain to your neighbor about it. You need some balance though, it would be a hard life if there is disharmony on your doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

the problem imo lies with these kids parents. if the parents dont teach them respect for those around them the kids are going to behave like that.
    maybe the gardai wont ne interested in badly behaved kids but they should ne interested in an adult that knocks on your door, and also stops ypur wife from closing her own gate. even a little chat might put some manners on this obnoxious person.
    putting up with kids like this is no joke and only those who've never experienced it can say 'kids will be kids etc'.

the problem imo lies with these kids parents. if the parents dont teach them respect for those around them the kids are going to behave like that.
    maybe the gardai wont ne interested in badly behaved kids but they should ne interested in an adult that knocks on your door, and also stops ypur wife from closing her own gate. even a little chat might put some manners on this obnoxious person.
    putting up with kids like this is no joke and only those who've never experienced it can say 'kids will be kids etc'.

amen to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

I don't know if this is a good idea but it's only something to think about.
    Years ago I was living in a housing estate where every evening from 9 ISH onwards there used to be s crowd of teenagers who would converge sitting on our wall outside the house. They were rough & loud, shouting, fighting & cursing.
    <SNIP>

OP here, you're dead right.

I could have swore I mentioned this a while back. With regards to the CCTV recording I mentioned it was the accusations of harassment that I recorded from the parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭rondog

OP,I could have written your story myself but it was worse.

Our neighbours also had a dog that barked at 3am/4am while my wife was 8 month spregnant.

I had war with the neighbours.One night the dog barked at 4am and i banged the neighbours door down telling them to bring it in.After threats of a dog warden and the district court it stopped.It happens againthe odd time but i keep sending texts to their phone and reocrding it if it happens again.

the Kids also played loud music at night .I asked them to stop and they didnt.So,When i was going out at night i put a CD on repeat of the loudest hip hop i could find and directed the stereo speakers at their walls.

As for people saying you have to accept the constant bouncing of balls,you certainly do NOT.You are entitled to peace and quiet and this is a form of torture having to listen to that sound every evening.For the Mother theresas who say you should just accept it i challenge them to sit in their sitting room trying to relax and ill happily bounce a ball beside their head for an hour non stop every evening.Lets see how understanding they are about it.

Everyone has the right to peace and quiet in their own homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

rondog wrote: »
    OP,I could have written your story myself but it was worse.

Our neighbours also had a dog that barked at 3am/4am while my wife was 8 month spregnant.

I had war with the neighbours.One night the dog barked at 4am and i banged the neighbours door down telling them to bring it in.After threats of a dog warden and the district court it stopped.It happens againthe odd time but i keep sending texts to their phone and reocrding it if it happens again.

the Kids also played loud music at night .I asked them to stop and they didnt.So,When i was going out at night i put a CD on repeat of the loudest hip hop i could find and directed the stereo speakers at their walls.

As for people saying you have to accept the constant bouncing of balls,you certainly do NOT.You are entitled to peace and quiet and this is a form of torture having to listen to that sound every evening.For the Mother theresas who say you should just accept it i challenge them to sit in their sitting room trying to relax and ill happily bounce a ball beside their head for an hour non stop every evening.Lets see how understanding they are about it.

Everyone has the right to peace and quiet in their own homes.

See the dog at 3am and the loud music at night is different to kids playing with a ball during the day imo. If the kids were hopping the ball off the wall in the early hours you'd sort it out but in the day you have fairly little expectation of quiet.

• Advertisement

Just a little update....

It's all been quiet on the northern front. However my wife was approached by another neighbour and it would appear that the parents are known bullies and have been at this for years.

Advertisement