Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batwoman - The CW *Spoilers*

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It'd be a good choice but she might struggle to film a sitcom in LA, then juggle a shoot in Canada for a superhero show.

Plus; because the American progressive movement is eating itself, while Beatriz is Bisexual she's married to a man so perversely, may not be "gay" enough for the role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,134 ✭✭✭✭Penn

pixelburp wrote: »
    It'd be a good choice but she might struggle to film a sitcom in LA, then juggle a shoot in Canada for a superhero show.

Plus; because the American progressive movement is eating itself, while Beatriz is Bisexual she's married to a man so perversely, may not be "gay" enough for the role.

Yeah, think Ruby was dragged over the coals for it because she's gender-fluid so isn't a full lesbian or something or other. Then again, people like Beatriz, so they might give her more of a pass.

I'd say she'd give up Brooklyn 99 though if she got it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Ruby Rose also got flack for not being Jewish. I'm really hoping the CW don't pander to these idiots and choose someone good for the role rather than limiting the acting pool. Stephanie Beatriz would be a good choice - she's great at doing deadpan humour, which is the sort of thing you'd expect from the Bat franchise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Seems WWE's Sonya Deville has tweeted her interest as well.

I think Stephanie wouldn't get it because then they may have to explain how she must've been adopted. Or the surgery was so intense they went crazy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They probably wouldn't explain anything and just have the Legends make a joke about in some episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,599 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Seems WWE's Sonya Deville has tweeted her interest as well.

I think Stephanie wouldn't get it because then they may have to explain how she must've been adopted. Or the surgery was so intense they went crazy with it.

I can count on one finger WWE actors who can actually act

To be fair, she'd be replacing Ruby Rose

To be fair, she'd be replacing Ruby Rose

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

https://tvline.com/2020/05/20/ruby-rose-batwoman-season-2-departure-scoop/

Looks like she couldn't get used to the long working hours
    sources confirm to TVLine that the split was — at best — a mutual one.

“It wasn’t 100-percent her decision,” concedes a source close to the show. “It was a breakup. She wasn’t happy working on the show, and did that make her fun to work with? No. So everyone decided it would be in the best interests of the show, and for all concerned, if they parted ways. It just wasn’t a good fit.”

According to an insider, Rose — coming off the features John Wick: Chapter 2 and The Meg — was distressed by the long hours demanded of a lead TV role and did not acclimate well to life in Vancouver (where the show shoots). Batwoman marked the actress’ first full-time series gig, following her debut as the Scarlet Knight in the Arrowverse’s December 2018 “Elseworlds” crossover and a short arc on Orange Is the New Black

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Not the first time the issue has arisen with actors reluctant to commit to a long, 22 episode shoot in Vancouver. It's a lot to ask of anyone, especially for a US resident (doubly so if living in LA)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wouldn't be shocked if they went with another charisma vacuum who can't act like Cara Delevingne.

Not the first time the issue has arisen with actors reluctant to commit to a long, 22 episode shoot in Vancouver. It's a lot to ask of anyone, especially for a US resident (doubly so if living in LA)

The crossover probably didn't help either. I wonder if they are better off getting a stunt person even if they are an unknown or somebody who has worked in TV.

I wouldn't be shocked if they went with another charisma vacuum who can't act like Cara Delevingne.

She's currently busy with Carnival Row.

On a side note I was checking to see if season 2 of that had finished filming and seems it was suspended due to the virus but getting ready to go back into production.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Odd that the arrowverse producers that have been so good at choosing the leads for their show that they get it so wrong with Batwoman. I think Ruby Rose fit better into the role as she went along but obviously not cut out for working long hours in a tv series.
    Hopefully they don't get someone to mimic her performance like they did with Spartacus:Blood and Sand a few years ago.
    Wouldn't be a fan of Stephanie Beatriz replacing her.

Jade Tailor (Kady) from The Magicians has dropped her name in the hat
    https://twitter.com/JadeTailor/status/1263307641196965888?s=19

Jade Tailor (Kady) from The Magicians has dropped her name in the hat
    https://twitter.com/JadeTailor/status/1263307641196965888?s=19

Hmmm...nope

And why is she wearing a padded arse?

fritzelly wrote: »
    Hmmm...nope

And why is she wearing a padded arse?

The stunt work, presumably. The guy has a codpiece himself.

She's got previous with Canadian shot TV shows, CW might prefer someone used to the hectic schedule then a more famous face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Do actresses usually so publicly advertise themselves for jobs? It makes alot of them look desperate!

I see Wallis Day from the show Krypton has also put her name forward. I dont know the sexuality of any of the candidates but I guess its easy to say they were bisexual at one point in their life.

Also if it was a new series all these actresses of mixed heritage might have a chance, but they've already established Kate and her family. So basically the show is limited to white, LGBTQ actresses who are in decent shape and willing to put in the hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I just couldn't get into Arrow when it started (Maybe I'm missing out I might retry it someday) so I'm very much out of the loop and a very quick google didn't throw anything up but why is there such an insistence on the actress being LGBTQ? It doesn't bother me by any means but very much from the outside looking in its bizzare....

• Advertisement

The character is lesbian and they were sure to let people know they cast a LGBTQ actress in the role.

It's hard not to rationalise the CW are simply doing it for some Twitter slackivists' kudos. Representation is important IMO, but unlike race, sexual orientation shouldn't really be a factor in an actors suitability - plenty of straight actors play gay, plenty of gay actors play straight. Not to mention sexuality is ultimately a private, intimate aspect; a person's ethnicity is fairly obvious - there's simply no way to know their orientation though. And most of us don't announce it either, unlike some Hollywood actors that are related to this thread :D

The argument is probably made that a prominent gay actor would add further normalcy to the role - but as said, it's already an empowered role in the first place, so there's an element of gilding the lily. And it also opens up the uncomfortable reality that the LGBTQ+ community is far from unified; bisexuality is often looked down on, and Bi actors won't be gay enough.

I do reckon in the Age of Trump, American progressives feel the need to over-compensate with their liberal credentials; social media has driven everyone over there (and here, to certain extents) into extreme corners of their belief system, be they conservative or liberal.

Then again, I'm a straight white European male so wouldn't know hardship if it bit me in the ass:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

In my opinion the Arrowverse in my opinion is a great way of a TV keeping a comic book universe together while also being fun, I'd almost say that it's the MCU of the TV, they get the balance right and the crossover events are well (most of the time) well done as well as getting the actors/actresses for the roles perfectly, I can't imagine anyone else but Stephen Amell as the Green Arrow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It's hard not to rationalise the CW are simply doing it for some Twitter slackivists' kudos. Representation is important IMO, but unlike race, sexual orientation shouldn't really be a factor in an actors suitability - plenty of straight actors play gay, plenty of gay actors play straight. Not to mention sexuality is ultimately a private, intimate aspect; a person's ethnicity is fairly obvious - there's simply no way to know their orientation though. And most of us don't announce it either, unlike some Hollywood actors that are related to this thread :D

The argument is probably made that a prominent gay actor would add further normalcy to the role - but as said, it's already an empowered role in the first place, so there's an element of gilding the lily. And it also opens up the uncomfortable reality that the LGBTQ+ community is far from unified; bisexuality is often looked down on, and Bi actors won't be gay enough.

I do reckon in the Age of Trump, American progressives feel the need to over-compensate with their liberal credentials; social media has driven everyone over there (and here, to certain extents) into extreme corners of their belief system, be they conservative or liberal.

Then again, I'm a straight white European male so wouldn't know hardship if it bit me in the ass:D

I'd be the same as you Pixelburb but if the CW doesn't cast someone from the LGBTQ+ community for the role they might as well cancel production now because of the backlash.

Yeah I think people were complaining about Ruby being cast for being bi or gender fluid or something.

But it's not back until January at the earliest so they have time to look around.

Clareman wrote: »
    I can't imagine anyone else but Stephen Amell as the Green Arrow.

*Justin Hartley cries in the corner*

*Justin Hartley cries in the corner*

I lost interest in Smallville by the time he was in it but I must go back to it now that I've time

Yeah I think people were complaining about Ruby being cast for being bi or gender fluid or something.

But it's not back until January at the earliest so they have time to look around.

It's gotten to the stage where if you don't give people something to complain about that they'll complain about the lack of complaining, it's getting the balance right which is they key

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Clareman wrote: »
    I'd be the same as you Pixelburb but if the CW doesn't cast someone from the LGBTQ+ community for the role they might as well cancel production now because of the backlash.
    They faced a backlash when they killed off a bisexual character in 'The 100' despite the show often killing characters and the small fact that the actress in question was leaving...
    These backlashes are from some die-hard groups but I doubt they represent the larger audience.

• Advertisement

I remember the 100 backlash thinking the people clearly knew nothing about the series or the actress moving on. No mention of all the other characters that died

giphy.gif

Advertisement