Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batwoman - The CW *Spoilers*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

And the 100 had lesbian/bisexual characters without any need for the actresses to be same. Just shows how ridculosu the outrage mob has become.

Its pity because Batwoman got really good in the second half of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I suppose with the 100 the characters were all pretty much unknown. Not sure what sexuality they are in the book.
    With Kate her sexuality is part of her character. That and she's really pale with red hair. So I guess they only focused on 1 part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

ixoy wrote: »
    They faced a backlash when they killed off a bisexual character in 'The 100' despite the show often killing characters and the small fact that the actress in question was leaving...
    These backlashes are from some die-hard groups but I doubt they represent the larger audience.

This is a bit misleading - the reason that one blew up was because the showrunners went out of their way to reassure them they were sensitive to Dead Lesbian Trope and make them think the character would survive to at least the end of the season. Then killed her off.

I didn't watch the show but I did my homework on it because I was curious why that one blew up rather than others, and this characterisation is unfair. They were extremely justified in being cranky about it, for a number of other reasons besides that that would bring us into the weeds. I don't think it was even a particularly good show, but if ever a backlash was justified, it's a fine candidate.

Regarding Batwoman, I didn't actually see anybody clamouring for it to be a gay actress before RR's casting, it was generally interpreted as stunt casting intended as a slightly clumsy peace offering.

Personally the one thing I wanted the character to retain from source was her red hair. It's tied into a chunk of her mythology and I think she's a poorer, more generic character without the folklore stuff.

Redheads are the ones who should really be complaining. So many comic redheads are changed. Like Wally West. Or casting non redheads as redheads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

CastorTroy wrote: »
    The character is lesbian and they were sure to let people know they cast a LGBTQ actress in the role.

Ah I see, Thank You. I still Don't get it mind, Short of Blackface I very much come from the school of thought that the best Person for the Part should do it. I think about Benedict Cumberbatch in the Imitation game for example.

It just seems to be the only show I remember to really push this, Like almost as soon as I heard Ruby Rose left the project they announced that her replacement would also be LGBTQ I don't think anyway that many argue that "Hollywood" has a prejudice against the community although to be fair I do vaugely remember When Anne Heche was with Ellen DeGeneres that it hurt her career so maybe I have that one completely wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

ixoy wrote: »
    They faced a backlash when they killed off a bisexual character in 'The 100' despite the show often killing characters and the small fact that the actress in question was leaving...
    These backlashes are from some die-hard groups but I doubt they represent the larger audience.

Shoot first, think later.....doesn't sound like Twitter to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Redheads are the ones who should really be complaining. So many comic redheads are changed. Like Wally West. Or casting non redheads as redheads

I didn't let it get to me, until they recast Triss for the Netflix's Witcher. That annoyed me, but mostly because I'm #TeamTriss. But yeah, us Redheadians are severly outcast on tv, always playing the dork role, not even a main one, and always being expectedly picked on. Now we're just being recast completely*. If I was younger I'd probably start a movement.

* Darker hair and skin for both Wally West and Triss... hmmmm... Literal complete 180 in both cases.

Edit: I'm not being serious btw, in case someone thinks I am. Couldn't give a rats arse at this stage!

Sure maybe Lindsay Lohan will get the role.

Madelaine Petsch is too busy for the role

Instagram post from Ruby
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CAteoRApFte/
    Thank you everyone for coming on this journey. If I mentioned everyone it would be 1000 tags.. but Thank you to the cast, crew, producers and studio. It wasn’t an easy decision but those who know, know.. I didn’t want to not acknowledge everyone involved and how big this was for TV and for our community. I have stayed silent because that’s my choice for now but know I adore you all. I’m sure next season will be amazing also. Xxx *hangs up cowl and cape

https://tvline.com/2020/06/02/batwoman-recast-season-2-new-character-replaces-kate-kane/

Guess they want to give themselves more options.

She's nothing like Kate Kane. But don't worry, she is a lesbian. So why bother?

Reminds me of the trailer for XXX2 when Vin Diesel didn't return. "We need someone more extreme"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

That makes a bit more sense than just replacing the actress, replace the person under the cowl, bit like the different Robins down through the years, or in MArvel the different Captains, ideally if Ruby left on good terms she might do a handover type scene or something, no need to kill her off just have her head on holidays or something.

Yeah a handover would be a better idea. And Alice can still be her enemy sue to Kate leaving her again and so take it out on her replacement.

Of course we'll see if anyone in Gotham is smart enough to figure things out. Batman disappears the same time as Bruce Wayne and now a new Batwoman the same time his cousin disappears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Do actresses usually so publicly advertise themselves for jobs? It makes alot of them look desperate!

I see Wallis Day from the show Krypton has also put her name forward. I dont know the sexuality of any of the candidates but I guess its easy to say they were bisexual at one point in their life.

Wallis Day could work , she is stunningly beautiful while still has that androgynous look Ruby had.
    her fight scenes in Krypton were decent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Some good points on why creating a new character is a bad idea

https://tvline.com/2020/06/03/batwoman-season-2-kate-kane-gone-new-character-added/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Not sure why simply recasting isn't on the cards: not like it has never been done before, and Ruby Rose was hardly a beacon of charisma to compete with in the first place.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Not sure why simply recasting isn't on the cards: not like it has never been done before, and Ruby Rose was hardly a beacon of charisma to compete with in the first place.

Exactly. Creating a new character is asking for trouble especially with the relationships current characters have with Kate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I love the description.

“She’s likable, messy, a little goofy and untamed,” the casting notice reportedly went on to read. “She’s also nothing like Kate Kane, the woman who wore the batsuit before her. With no one in her life to keep her on track, Ryan spent years as a drug-runner, dodging the GCPD and masking her pain with bad habits. A girl who would steal milk for an alley cat could also kill you with her bare hands, Ryan is the most dangerous type of fighter: highly skilled and wildly undisciplined. An out lesbian. Athletic. Raw. Passionate. Fallible. And very much not your stereotypical All-American hero.”

Yes, that bit fits perfect with the rest, and we really, really want you to know she's a lesbian, so like, don't lose your shyte at us again please. We're woke!

Sounds desperate tbh.

yeah must agree creating a new character would just seem a bit iffy. Alice would only be interested in finding out what happened to her sister and the storyline is just too similar to the plot of Batman going missing. Nearly everyone in the show is related to Kate.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

Creating a brand new character is a lot more work than simply recasting Kate. Everything in the show is based around Kate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

As someone who only watched the first episode and the crossover and just read about the rest I must ask what happens Alice now wasn't the whole season about them being sisters and I'm guessing a huge part of next season would have been the same.

Also after reading that Bruce will will be there in one form or another next season why not just turn it into a Gay/Bi Batman with a Robin as his underage ward ;) :P

• Advertisement

Like I suggested, Alice could blame the new Batwoman for Kate abandoning her again

Ah now it makes sense why they are not having a new Kate and that actress is a lesbian. Would be brave having the shows now lead by four minorities.
    I still think it is a bad idea to write out Kate and will just kill the show.

Response from the show runner on the recast. I Still think it's a bad idea

https://tvline.com/2020/06/06/why-batwoman-isnt-recasting-kate-kane-adding-new-character-season-2/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Absolutely baffled at that decision. Honestly can't understand who they expect to win over with it. Rose was a grin-and-bear-it casting, nobody wanted her for it, comic fans just lived with it for the sake of the character. Now what?

They should've just recast her to show her they don't need her.
    Going by that statement they think people won't get over the change. As if characters haven't been recast before.
    Spartacus was recast in that show and that wasn't from the actor leaving voluntarily.

And as you said, I doubt there are many rushing to defend Ruby's take on the character.

All they have to do is either say nothing and move on or have a wee dig from Alice or someone saying "Did you change your hair?"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Kinda reads a bit patronising TBH, like the producers don't believe its audience don't have the intelligence to deal with a simple recast.

Some clarification from the showrunner after reports yesterday that they were going to kill off Kate Kane

https://tvline.com/2020/06/10/batwoman-kate-kane-dies-season-2-ruby-rose/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,301 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Do actresses usually so publicly advertise themselves for jobs? It makes alot of them look desperate!

I see Wallis Day from the show Krypton has also put her name forward. I dont know the sexuality of any of the candidates but I guess its easy to say they were bisexual at one point in their life.

I was sure I read at some stage Wallis Day was dating a Hollyoaks co star

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I was sure I read at some stage Wallis Day was dating a Hollyoaks co star

Wasn't she on Hollyoaks herself?

Advertisement