Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Healthy baby aborted at 15 weeks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

Can you correct your post its not a baby at 15 weeks.

I don't get what the fuss was about?

Good grief. Only a person who is either;

a. Not a parent
    b. Incapable of being a parent
    c. Completely devoid of empathy
    d. Utterly lacking in humanity
    e. Sh1t stirring
    f. Naive to the point of stupid
    d. An absolute cnut

Or any mixture or all of the above could allow their mind to work this way.

And how do you think bereaved parents feel who’ve lost a child at 10, 12, 15 weeks?

Absolute sh1tshow of a comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

Something tells me Vibes didn't read the opening post, or anything posted in this thread..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Healthy baby / unhealthy baby... why does it matter?

It's nobody else's business really. It's a private matter, and everyone should have the right to abort a pregnancy if they wish!

It seems a lot of people think it's their right, to poke their nose into the affairs of other people around the issue of abortion. It's not your body or your baby... it's not a national issue. It's a private issue! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

“We did not take the steps to terminate lightly and we were not scared of the prospect of caring or loving a very sick child. We were told this was a fatal foetal abnormality,” the couple told RTÉ News on Thursday.

In the current case, the couple terminated a pregnancy in the hospital after a CVS test (chorionic villus sampling) showed their baby had an abnormality known as trisomy 18, or Edwards Syndrome.
    A later, more comprehensive, test showed the baby was healthy, but these results arrived after the termination was carried out.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/woman-who-had-abortion-after-misleading-test-calls-for-an-inquiry-1.3916959

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

You wouldn't want to put too much faith in those tests though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

It's nobody else's business really. It's a private matter, and everyone should have the right to abort a pregnancy if they wish!

It seems a lot of people think it's their right, to poke their nose into the affairs of other people around the issue of abortion. It's not your body or your baby... it's not a national issue. It's a private issue! ;)

Awwwww hope you have a grrrreat day :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

You wouldn't want to put too much faith in those tests though.

Really? They went to the national MATERNITY hospital and had tests. One of many tests a woman has , if memory serves me right. What you are saying is don't put any faith in medical science.!
    Pure anti vaxer logic.
    It wasn't a decision by a pregnant woman to abort her foetus.Womans perogitive blah blah ( one which has been discussed and legislated for by repealing the 8th adenment) They were told their baby , and to the mother and father it was their baby, was going to die. Totally different issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

The issue isn't that the couple had an abortion. The issue is a misdiagnosis of FFS that lead to that decision. That is a national issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

This would be a useful line to remember if ever I should witness a domestic assault

"Its not your wife and not your kitchen, so don't poke your nose in..."

or a parent battering a child...
    "Its not your kid, not your house, not your webcam...mind your own business"

We do have a right - even a duty - to object when there is a victim.
    For an abortion to be successful, the foetus must die - either by poison or surgery - so it may certainly be called a victim. Ergo, we may protest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the people voted for abortion. the people got abortion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

54and56 wrote: »
    I have direct experience of a baby being born with Triosomy 13 over 20 years ago. It was badly deformed and lived for less than a month.

It?? Are you serious?

You mean he or she. A child is a human being, not an "it".

Like many others, this couple may well have just gone to England for a termination, adding further to their trauma through stigma and isolation.

Child prostitution is common in some jurisdictions too, by the same logic should we legalise that here too to prevent the need for people travelling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/woman-who-had-abortion-after-misleading-test-calls-for-an-inquiry-1.3916959
    A later, more comprehensive, test showed the baby was healthy, but these results arrived after the termination was carried out.
    From this it sounds like they didn't wait the two weeks.
    cjmc wrote: »
    The issue isn't that the couple had an abortion. The issue is a misdiagnosis of FFS that lead to that decision. That is a national issue
    A previous article (that I quoted another post) stated that the two day results may not be accurate, but the results after the two weeks is. Perhaps in future the doctors force everyone to wait the extra two weeks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,756 ✭✭✭volchitsa

the_syco wrote: »
    From this it sounds like they didn't wait the two weeks.

A previous article (that I quoted another post) stated that the two day results may not be accurate, but the results after the two weeks is. Perhaps in future the doctors force everyone to wait the extra two weeks?

From what I remember being reported at the time, the couple's objection is not that the doctors should have forced them to wait, but that they themselves would have preferred to wait for the final results and were actively discouraged from doing so by the medical staff who said there was no point, that the results were unequivocal.

If that is what happened, then it seems like yet another example of Irish doctors wanting to make the decisions. Perhaps their traditional objection to abortion rights was really against the "rights" part of it more than the "abortion" part?

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Crock Rock wrote: »
    Child prostitution is common in some jurisdictions too, by the same logic should we legalise that here too to prevent the need for people travelling?

How is that the same logic?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I think the issue is that they actually did want their baby.

the people voted for abortion. the people got abortion.

So everyone voted for abortion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Titclamp wrote: »
    So everyone voted for abortion?

You beat me to it; "some" of the people voted for abortion.

Graces7 wrote: »

I think over 30℅ of the people who voted went out of their way to go and vote on the day for no abortion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Someone ****ed up royally here. Of course each side is blaming the others and the pro lifers are out in force

• Advertisement

Gael23 wrote: »
    Someone ****ed up royally here. Of course each side is blaming the others and the pro lifers are out in force

About 30℅ of them is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

About 30℅ of them is it?

yes. the minority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I think over 30℅ of the people who voted went out of their way to go and vote on the day for no abortion

67%,,voted to repeal. 33% voted against.
    Not sure what you mean about "going out oftheir way" means. Looking for sympathy?

yes. the minority[/q

Like an ethnic minority is it?

Igotadose wrote: »
    67%,,voted to repeal. 33% voted against.
    Not sure what you mean about "going out oftheir way" means. Looking for sympathy?

Yes a sympathy vote it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The vote was to repeal the 8th, for or against abortion was not a choice on the ballot.

Not quite true though: by their own admission, none of the anti abortion campaigners were interested in actually stopping Irish women from having abortions were they?

(And please, don't bother pretending to believe that doing this would require Ireland interfering with British law - it didn't convince people at the time so it won't convince them now.)

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

They actually voted for the status quo which included abortion in certain circumstances.

Even the anti-choice crowd are pro-abortion at times.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

It?? Are you serious?

You mean he or she. A child is a human being, not an "it".

It says it all that you care more about the use of “it” rather than how poorly the actual baby was.

• Advertisement

How is that the same logic?

Both are equally abhorrent acts.

BTW, the referendum wasn't to legalise abortion on demand.

We don't have referenda to pass legislation here. That's done in the two tiers of the Oireachtas. This was done AFTER the referendum. At most we'd have an advisory referendum to see if the people would want the legislation.

Any future government could easily reverse the legislation permitting abortion on demand. Personally, I'd LOVE to see this.

BTW, the referendum wasn't to legalise abortion on demand.

We don't have referenda to pass legislation here. That's done in the two tiers of the Oireachtas. This was done AFTER the referendum. At most we'd have an advisory referendum to see if the people would want the legislation.

Any future government could easily reverse the legislation permitting abortion on demand. Personally, I'd LOVE to see this.

Why are certain pro life people only concerned with "murder" when it's someone unborn

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112616628&postcount=1

What if your intruder is pregnant?

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Why are certain pro life people only concerned with "murder" when it's someone unborn

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112616628&postcount=1

What if your intruder is pregnant?

An unlikely scenario. My thread was a tongue in cheek joke anyway.

Besides, a pregnant woman getting involved in high risk activities such as burglary is harming her own baby, no one else is.

Besides, abortion is being used as a contraceptive by some.

Besides, a pregnant woman getting involved in high risk activities such as burglary is harming her own baby, no one else is.

Going on your second comment i dont think it was as tongue in cheek as you claim.

• Advertisement

You do know that's impossible right?

bubblypop wrote: »
    You do know that's impossible right?

If they regret getting pregnant, they terminate.

Pick at my words if you want but everyone knows what I mean.

Life has become disposable.

I'm sure there are cases where a woman gets pregnant and regrets it. that regret can have many reasons. Thankfully the woman now has an outlet to resolve her problem instead of being forced to carry a child she doesnt want

The vote was to repeal the 8th, for or against abortion was not a choice on the ballot.

Semantics do not impress; quite the opposite.

I'm sure there are cases where a woman gets pregnant and regrets it. that regret can have many reasons. Thankfully the woman now has an outlet to resolve her problem instead of being forced to carry a child she doesnt want

So that which is living has to die?

Outlet? This is a human life being ended.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Semantics do not impress; quite the opposite.

You can claim semantics if you wish, but the referendum was to repeal or keep the 8th amendment that is fact. Emotive language is irrelevant. Abortion wasn't on the ballot. Although even those that voted to keep the 8th were still voting to allow abortion, just in very restrictive circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Same as before the referendum
    The only difference is now you're not forcing women bleeding in toilets onto ferries or boats

So that which is living has to die?

Outlet? This is a human life being ended.

I thought you didn't want mere semantics being used here - but it seems it's grand when it's you doing it.

And, for about the millionth time, abortion was effectively already legal up to 24 weeks for all these human lives, and not one of the anti choice organisations was prepared to say they wanted to remove that right from our constitution. So what people voted for was as much an end to that hypocrisy as a right to abortion.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Same as before the referendum
    The only difference is now you're not forcing women bleeding in toilets onto ferries or boats

All of that is irrelevant to the pro-lifers. they only care what happens in ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

I remember some goon on boards.ie telling me that if you agree with a person having a choice of their own on what to do with their body you agree with abortion.

And this cuck was all for abortion, I was under a different username at the time.

I was trying to explain that its up to people to choose what they want to do with their body.
    And in certain circumstances say if the mother life was in danger, she's being raped or the baby won't survive then it's better to do what has to be done.
    Im a parent myself and love kids, so I can't see why it's logical to get rid of a kid for the sake of a career or thinking it'll ruin one's future.

My exe had a baby at 19, she's from Clare got pregnant in college in Carlow, had the baby girl and studied away through pregnancy, took a year out and stayed in Carlow and worked hard and finished college.
    Went and did her doctorate afterwards and now she's highly successful and has a great life and her daughter is nearly finished her doctorate.
    Where there's a will there's a way.

But no that answer wasn't applicable, for these numpties it was black or white.

I was pushed out of the debate, but sure look at the end of the day her body her choice.

No problem there.

nthclare wrote: »
    I remember some goon on boards.ie telling me that if you agree with a person having a choice of their own on what to do with their body you agree with abortion.

And this cuck was all for abortion, I was under a different username at the time.

I was trying to explain that its up to people to choose what they want to do with their body.
    And in certain circumstances say if the mother life was in danger, she's being raped or the baby won't survive then it's better to do what has to be done.
    Im a parent myself and love kids, so I can't see why it's logical to get rid of a kid for the sake of a career or thinking it'll ruin one's future.

My exe had a baby at 19, she's from Clare got pregnant in college in Carlow, had the baby girl and studied away through pregnancy, took a year out and stayed in Carlow and worked hard and finished college.
    Went and did her doctorate afterwards and now she's highly successful and has a great life and her daughter is nearly finished her doctorate.
    Where there's a will there's a way.

But no that answer wasn't applicable, for these numpties it was black or white.

I was pushed out of the debate, but sure look at the end of the day her body her choice.

No problem there.

You dont have to agree with abortion to support somebody elses choice to have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

nullzero wrote: »
    After seven years of training a doctor should be capable of waiting for test results before advising a woman to get an abortion.
    She didn't have a toe amputated here, a healthy baby was aborted when it shouldnt have been.

What benefit is it to society to have an incompetent doctor making mistakes of this magnitude?
    Every apprentice carpenter learns to measure twice and cut once on their first day.

Thanks for fixing it for me BTW, you really set me straight.

To be fair, she can have another baby no bother. She couldn't re-grow a severed toe.

Well that's a crock of something, but expected nothing less.

More bs that didn't wash before the referendum and just looks even more stupid now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

You dont have to agree with abortion to support somebody elses choice to have one.

You're absolutely right, but sometimes people don't want hear that.

They'll twist everything into knots and they'll dig their heels in so far that there's no point in debating or having a discussion.

I suppose when ones open minded it's easier to see the woods from the trees.

• Advertisement
Advertisement