Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy baby aborted at 15 weeks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

Can you correct your post its not a baby at 15 weeks.

I don't get what the fuss was about?

Good grief. Only a person who is either;

a. Not a parent
    b. Incapable of being a parent
    c. Completely devoid of empathy
    d. Utterly lacking in humanity
    e. Sh1t stirring
    f. Naive to the point of stupid
    d. An absolute cnut

Or any mixture or all of the above could allow their mind to work this way.

And how do you think bereaved parents feel who’ve lost a child at 10, 12, 15 weeks?

Absolute sh1tshow of a comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

Something tells me Vibes didn't read the opening post, or anything posted in this thread..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Healthy baby / unhealthy baby... why does it matter?

It's nobody else's business really. It's a private matter, and everyone should have the right to abort a pregnancy if they wish!

It seems a lot of people think it's their right, to poke their nose into the affairs of other people around the issue of abortion. It's not your body or your baby... it's not a national issue. It's a private issue! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

“We did not take the steps to terminate lightly and we were not scared of the prospect of caring or loving a very sick child. We were told this was a fatal foetal abnormality,” the couple told RTÉ News on Thursday.

In the current case, the couple terminated a pregnancy in the hospital after a CVS test (chorionic villus sampling) showed their baby had an abnormality known as trisomy 18, or Edwards Syndrome.
    A later, more comprehensive, test showed the baby was healthy, but these results arrived after the termination was carried out.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/woman-who-had-abortion-after-misleading-test-calls-for-an-inquiry-1.3916959

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

You wouldn't want to put too much faith in those tests though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

It's nobody else's business really. It's a private matter, and everyone should have the right to abort a pregnancy if they wish!

It seems a lot of people think it's their right, to poke their nose into the affairs of other people around the issue of abortion. It's not your body or your baby... it's not a national issue. It's a private issue! ;)

Awwwww hope you have a grrrreat day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,849 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

You wouldn't want to put too much faith in those tests though.

Really? They went to the national MATERNITY hospital and had tests. One of many tests a woman has , if memory serves me right. What you are saying is don't put any faith in medical science.!
    Pure anti vaxer logic.
    It wasn't a decision by a pregnant woman to abort her foetus.Womans perogitive blah blah ( one which has been discussed and legislated for by repealing the 8th adenment) They were told their baby , and to the mother and father it was their baby, was going to die. Totally different issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,849 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

The issue isn't that the couple had an abortion. The issue is a misdiagnosis of FFS that lead to that decision. That is a national issue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

This would be a useful line to remember if ever I should witness a domestic assault

"Its not your wife and not your kitchen, so don't poke your nose in..."

or a parent battering a child...
    "Its not your kid, not your house, not your webcam...mind your own business"

We do have a right - even a duty - to object when there is a victim.
    For an abortion to be successful, the foetus must die - either by poison or surgery - so it may certainly be called a victim. Ergo, we may protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the people voted for abortion. the people got abortion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

54and56 wrote: »
    I have direct experience of a baby being born with Triosomy 13 over 20 years ago. It was badly deformed and lived for less than a month.

It?? Are you serious?

You mean he or she. A child is a human being, not an "it".

Like many others, this couple may well have just gone to England for a termination, adding further to their trauma through stigma and isolation.

Child prostitution is common in some jurisdictions too, by the same logic should we legalise that here too to prevent the need for people travelling?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/woman-who-had-abortion-after-misleading-test-calls-for-an-inquiry-1.3916959
    A later, more comprehensive, test showed the baby was healthy, but these results arrived after the termination was carried out.
    From this it sounds like they didn't wait the two weeks.
    cjmc wrote: »
    The issue isn't that the couple had an abortion. The issue is a misdiagnosis of FFS that lead to that decision. That is a national issue
    A previous article (that I quoted another post) stated that the two day results may not be accurate, but the results after the two weeks is. Perhaps in future the doctors force everyone to wait the extra two weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,320 ✭✭✭volchitsa

the_syco wrote: »
    From this it sounds like they didn't wait the two weeks.

A previous article (that I quoted another post) stated that the two day results may not be accurate, but the results after the two weeks is. Perhaps in future the doctors force everyone to wait the extra two weeks?

From what I remember being reported at the time, the couple's objection is not that the doctors should have forced them to wait, but that they themselves would have preferred to wait for the final results and were actively discouraged from doing so by the medical staff who said there was no point, that the results were unequivocal.

If that is what happened, then it seems like yet another example of Irish doctors wanting to make the decisions. Perhaps their traditional objection to abortion rights was really against the "rights" part of it more than the "abortion" part?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Crock Rock wrote: »
    Child prostitution is common in some jurisdictions too, by the same logic should we legalise that here too to prevent the need for people travelling?

How is that the same logic?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I think the issue is that they actually did want their baby.

the people voted for abortion. the people got abortion.

So everyone voted for abortion?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Titclamp wrote: »
    So everyone voted for abortion?

You beat me to it; "some" of the people voted for abortion.

Graces7 wrote: »

I think over 30℅ of the people who voted went out of their way to go and vote on the day for no abortion

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Someone ****ed up royally here. Of course each side is blaming the others and the pro lifers are out in force

• Advertisement

Gael23 wrote: »
    Someone ****ed up royally here. Of course each side is blaming the others and the pro lifers are out in force

About 30℅ of them is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,406 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

About 30℅ of them is it?

yes. the minority

• Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I think over 30℅ of the people who voted went out of their way to go and vote on the day for no abortion

67%,,voted to repeal. 33% voted against.
    Not sure what you mean about "going out oftheir way" means. Looking for sympathy?

yes. the minority[/q

Like an ethnic minority is it?

Igotadose wrote: »
    67%,,voted to repeal. 33% voted against.
    Not sure what you mean about "going out oftheir way" means. Looking for sympathy?

Yes a sympathy vote it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Graces7 wrote: »

The vote was to repeal the 8th, for or against abortion was not a choice on the ballot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,320 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Not quite true though: by their own admission, none of the anti abortion campaigners were interested in actually stopping Irish women from having abortions were they?

(And please, don't bother pretending to believe that doing this would require Ireland interfering with British law - it didn't convince people at the time so it won't convince them now.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

They actually voted for the status quo which included abortion in certain circumstances.

Even the anti-choice crowd are pro-abortion at times.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Crock Rock wrote: »
    It?? Are you serious?

You mean he or she. A child is a human being, not an "it".

It says it all that you care more about the use of “it” rather than how poorly the actual baby was.

• Advertisement

How is that the same logic?

Both are equally abhorrent acts.

Advertisement