Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quote for Services Incl VAT?

Options
  • 17-05-2019 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

I have recently quoted for providing some training services (on an email), I neglected to note whether the quote includes or excludes VAT. We are VAT registered and the training was for a large company, can we still add VAT to the invoice? I am concerned that I may annoy the company which may loose us future work, but as we are VAT registered we would still need to pay the VAT.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭CiboC

When quoting B2B it is very common to quote a ex vat price, if you didn't specify in the quote one way or the other I would just add it to the invoice, if they are vat registered or won't really make any difference to them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭kig

Thanks, They are big enough to be VAT registered so it should be OK so.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

CiboC wrote: »
    When quoting B2B it is very common to quote a ex vat price, if you didn't specify in the quote one way or the other I would just add it to the invoice, if they are vat registered or won't really make any difference to them anyway.

unless the OP's prospective client is in financial services. In which case there will be a big difference because they don't charge their customers VAT so the VAT they pay on suppliers' invoices is a direct cost which they have to bear because they can't claim it back.

But you are correct in saying that in general terms, a B2B quote is assumed to be ex-VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

kig wrote: »
    I have recently quoted for providing some training services (on an email), I neglected to note whether the quote includes or excludes VAT. We are VAT registered and the training was for a large company, can we still add VAT to the invoice? I am concerned that I may annoy the company which may loose us future work, but as we are VAT registered we would still need to pay the VAT.

I would usually assume quotes for services would be net of VAT - Maybe get back on to them to see if they are happy with quote and then confirm there is to be VAT charged on top of if you want to be sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

messrs wrote: »
    I would usually assume quotes for services would be net of VAT - Maybe get back on to them to see if they are happy with quote and then confirm there is to be VAT charged on top of if you want to be sure

I wouldn't expect B2B quotes to be VAT inclusive at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I don't think anyone quotes us price including vat, we would assume quote was ex vat. The only place who would quote us price including Vat is local hardware but a lot of their customers are not vat registered.

We always quote ex vat and it is assumed by customers the price is ex vat. We deal almost exclusively b2b.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to E&BM

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Jim from Cork

kig wrote: »
    I have recently quoted for providing some training services (on an email), I neglected to note whether the quote includes or excludes VAT. We are VAT registered and the training was for a large company, can we still add VAT to the invoice? I am concerned that I may annoy the company which may loose us future work, but as we are VAT registered we would still need to pay the VAT.[/QUOTE

Most structured business training is VAT exempt. You need to investigate and satisfy yourself that this is the case.

Advertisement