Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit question

Options
  • 17-05-2019 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

I've a lodger staying with me at the moment who told me on the 15th that she'd be leaving at the end of June - no problem.

She's already paid for this month and would be owed her deposit too obviously.

She's this morning come and told me that she's now actually leaving next weekend (on the 24th).

No month's notice etc - so do I withhold the deposit or give back a portion of it or give it all back. This sort of thing has never been my strength! :-/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I've a lodger staying with me at the moment who told me on the 15th that she'd be leaving at the end of June - no problem.

She's already paid for this month and would be owed her deposit too obviously.

She's this morning come and told me that she's now actually leaving next weekend (on the 24th).

No month's notice etc - so do I withhold the deposit or give back a portion of it or give it all back. This sort of thing has never been my strength! :-/

dont think as a lodger living with you she would need to give you notice. a bit of common sense her , if they want to go, give the deposit back when they move end off

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Me personally - I'd refund any rent she's not used, and the deposit - assuming no damage - and leave it at that. However I'd be looking for her to facilitate viewings.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Do you have an agreement re notice? I have with mine and it's 4 weeks but if they move out sooner and I can get a replacement quickly I'll refund the balance of their deposit. Both lodgers to date have been happy with that.

Last one bought their own place (cash, divorce settlement) in a week so I got no notice at all due to record speed of purchase. I filled the room in 8 days so they got back 3 weeks of their deposit (4 weeks) as there was no overpayment of rent.

Advertisement