Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate Agent / Auctioneer games?

• 17-05-2019 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi All,

I'm bidding on a house for the past 4 weeks and each time I bid the auctioneer lets the underbidder take a week before coming back to me to say they've upped their bid. Am I just being impatient or is the auctioneer up to something? Surely the underbidder knows how much they're prepared to go up to and doesn't need to take a week in between each of their bid increases :(

Has anyone got any advice on this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

It’s up to the seller whether to accept your offer or not, the auctioneer is doing their job by getting higher bids.

It does sound annoying but the auctioneer works for the seller, not you, and is trying to squeeze every penny out of you or the other bidder.

Maybe ask the auctioneer to ask the seller what it would take to take the house off the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

You can say that there is a time frame on your offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 WhichCar

Thanks amcester. My bid is over the asking price already, so I suppose the vendor is just going to just wait and see how high it goes. Do you think it would be worth putting a time limit on my offer, or is the other bidder hoping I'll get frustrated and bow out?

Thanks mickuhaha. That's what I'm thinking at this stage. Is it just me or does a week between bids seem a bit ridiculous?

Auctioneer I was dealing with tried to run it like that ,gave my final offer and said was on the table for a week then I am looking elsewhere . Rang up the last day and ask what the seller said. He then called and asked ( for the first time I suspect) and came back with a number which I accepted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

WhichCar wrote: »
    Thanks amcester. My bid is over the asking price already, so I suppose the vendor is just going to just wait and see how high it goes. Do you think it would be worth putting a time limit on my offer, or is the other bidder hoping I'll get frustrated and bow out?

Over the asking doesn’t really mean anything. The asking might have been 20% below their minimum price.

If they’re willing to wait a week between bids then I don’t think a time limit will work, they’re obviously not in a rush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

The auctioneer is literally paid for one thing, to get the highest possible price for their client. They can take as long as they want, as inconvenient as it may be.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Is it just me or does a week between bids seem a bit ridiculous?

Not for the vendor if the offers keep going up and they're under no pressure for a quick sale.

That's pretty much the answer to the why, and the 'what are they up to'.

Would you accept a time limited offer if the offers on your house kept going up? You probably have a better idea of the demand for the property/area.

Oh congratulations - glad it all worked out for you!

I think I'll wait it out for now, but in the meantime, they're running the risk of me finding another house just as suitable elsewhere... If that happens, then I'll happily play the time limit card ;)

Thanks again.

Fair point Graham :|

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭StoptheClocks

The owners might not be in a rush to sell. If they're in a chain, then they would be under pressure to sell in a time frame. They might have no where to move onto yet.
    It's in the auctioneers interest to sell the house quick. They're probably getting 1% of sale price. So for every 1000 bid they make 10. The longer it drags out, the more they will have to show the house to people. More work not much of a reward.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭Crusty Jocks

Hi All,

I'm bidding on a house for the past 4 weeks and each time I bid the auctioneer lets the underbidder take a week before coming back to me to say they've upped their bid. Am I just being impatient or is the auctioneer up to something? Surely the underbidder knows how much they're prepared to go up to and doesn't need to take a week in between each of their bid increases :(

Has anyone got any advice on this?

Thanks.

It's all just a poker game, nobody knows whats going on in the background but it is the vendor/dealer that has control. For any property you should really just ask yourself what its worth and what you would be willing to pay for it. Forget about all the asking and bids. Try and retake control by saying you're done with x amount, which i would suggest is below what you are willing to pay particularly due to recent market trends.

If you feel you are being played, get a friend to enquire about a viewing and find out what kind of response agent gives, as in if its complete bollocks in terms of the information you've been given. If so maybe get them to subsequently lowball a bid and see what the response is.

It's not a great position to be in, who knows what they are at...dont get emotionally attached or involved to something when you are playing with tens of thousands.

just my tuppence worth.

..dont get emotionally attached or involved to something when you are playing with tens of thousands.

Great advice - thanks.

Re. retaking control, I'm at my maximum bid now, but the auctioneer doesn't know that :)

Next offer you put in ask if the property is registered and are the sellers waiting on probate ie anything that would hold up the sale if your price was accepted. It's a question that would help mark the end of the sale process in the auctioneers mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,669 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

mickuhaha wrote: »
    Next offer you put in ask if the property is registered and are the sellers waiting on probate ie anything that would hold up the sale if your price was accepted. It's a question that would help mark the end of the sale process in the auctioneers mind.

How?

If the vendor isn’t in a rush, (not sure what “registered” means) then they are willing to let the bidding play out. The fact that they are willing to wait means a time limit on an offer is useless.

Op if you are at the limit of your finance and the offer hasn’t been accepted, you have to look at other properties.

Dav010 wrote: »
    How?

If the vendor isn’t in a rush, (not sure what “registered” means) then they are willing to let the bidding play out. The fact that they are willing to wait means a time limit on an offer is useless.

Op if you are at the limit of your finance and the offer hasn’t been accepted, you have to look at other properties.

The op isn't dealing with the vendor the op is playing the game with the auctioneer. The vendor will either wait for the amount they believe they will get for the house or compromise on advice of the auctioneer. The op needs to convince the auctioneer that the biding is coming near an end and begin saying as much to the vendor. Registered property with land registry is the easiest and fastest way to transfer property title and would be for a fast purchase from sale agreed to sale date. As for the opposition they will either keep bidding until they run of of funds or until they think you will never stop biding above them but you have no control over that only the reaction of the auctioneer and when they think all parties have reached their max. You could bring your mortgage approval amount. And say that's it no more, no further. If you try all the banks you will have a variety of amounts to show off. You could chance asking if the opposition has their approval with the hope they don't. I am not telling the op what to do just info on the game afoot.

More excellent advice @mickuhaha. Do you mean registered with the land registry? Thanks :)

Thanks @Dav010 and @mickuhaha (didn't see your replies til after I asked if you meant the land registry). I appreciate both of your advice. I am still looking @Dav010, as I've been outbid before, but I agree with @mickuhaha too - hopefully having all my ducks in a row and showing the auctioneer I'm ready and know what I'm talking about, will make me the more attractive prospect.

Thanks again - fingers crossed :)

More excellent advice @mickuhaha. Do you mean registered with the land registry? Thanks :)

Yes check if it has a folio here

https://www.landdirect.ie/index

If it is registered on a folio cost €5 to see it ,only info in it is current owner and burden (like mortgage etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,809 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Thanks @Dav010 and @mickuhaha (didn't see your replies til after I asked if you meant the land registry). I appreciate both of your advice. I am still looking @Dav010, as I've been outbid before, but I agree with @mickuhaha too - hopefully having all my ducks in a row and showing the auctioneer I'm ready and know what I'm talking about, will make me the more attractive prospect.

Thanks again - fingers crossed :)

One thing is to remember that the auctioneer really wants this to end, maybe even more than you do. He doesn’t get any money until the sale actually closes. The difference an extra 5 grand will make to his commission is very small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Currently selling.

My advice is to put a time limit on your bid if it's your max.

Seller is also just a normal person trying to get money tor their house and worrying about every connotation therein.

We almost accepted asking price last week. Our EA reckoned there were more bids to come but bidder had a time limit of Friday at 5. Another bid came in at that stage but if not I would have happily taken it.

In my experience the EA is not the one giving a week for underbidder to return, the seller is. 10k more is worth 100 to 200 to EA and a ball more work.

How long would you allow bidding to continue if at the end of each week a new higher bid came in?

Graham wrote: »
    How long would you allow bidding to continue if at the end of each week a new higher bid came in?

We wanted asking. Now that we are gone past it we are closing Tuesday evening if no new bids.

Estate agent emailing all previous bidders last night and ringing all on Monday to let them know same.

I suppose it all depends on circumstances. Our EA has been grouping viewings. We had 4 on Wednesday and 3 yesterday. If no new viewings or interest you'd be mad to leave a bidder hanging once they have offered what you want/need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,809 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

We wanted asking. Now that we are gone past it we are closing Tuesday evening if no new bids.

Estate agent emailing all previous bidders last night and ringing all on Monday to let them know same.

I suppose it all depends on circumstances. Our EA has been grouping viewings. We had 4 on Wednesday and 3 yesterday. If no new viewings or interest you'd be mad to leave a bidder hanging once they have offered what you want/need

Sellers are not really rational animals. Mostly they are not professionals. They will behave in odd ways because there is a lot of sentiment. This is not just business, it is their whole life's savings quite often. You will never be able to predict what a seller will actually do pre-contract.

So you'll keep going if there are new bids.

It does sound like the OP is going through the counterpart of that process.

That's not meant to sounds like an accusation btw, it's exactly what I'd expect of any sensible vendor that is not under pressure.

Equally I'd agree you need to think carefully if you only have one bidder that has made a time limited offer.

Graham wrote: »
    So you'll keep going if there are new bids.

It does sound like the OP is going through the counterpart of that process.

That's not meant to sounds like an accusation btw, it's exactly what I'd expect of any sensible vendor that is not under pressure.

Equally I'd agree you need to think carefully if you only have one bidder that has made a time limited offer.

Yeah I really think the circumstances are going to dictate. ie The offer last night was 10k jump.

If bids were a week apart and 1k at a time I'd not be holding on for fear of losing a nice "quality" purchaser.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ning sudnaen

chances are they are fake bids. Property sales in ireland are corrupted and the PSRA know this and allow it to happen, and it is no good going to the media they are very good at keeping corruption a secret....I forgot to mention boards ie keep corruption a secret so this post will probably by deleted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

chances are they are fake bids. Property sales in ireland are corrupted and the PSRA know this and allow it to happen, and it is no good going to the media they are very good at keeping corruption a secret....I forgot to mention boards ie keep corruption a secret so this post will probably by deleted

What you make of them Chemtrails?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,669 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

It would certainly help your cause if you could provide some evidence of fake bids and corruption. Otherwise they are uncorroborated allegations.

• Advertisement

Mod Note

ning sudnaen, that's the 2nd time you've thrown about unsubstantiated allegations of corruption. Unless you have some sort of evidence relevant to the thread you are responding to, take it somewhere else.

Advertisement