Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a property in Marino

Options
  • 17-05-2019 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

I'm looking at some houses in Marino, and interested in possibly buying in this area.

From walking/driving around, the area seems peaceful and settled. I've read numerous positive comments about the area on this site, though some going back a number of years. I also rented there for a short while 12 years ago, and very much liked it. Accessibility to the city centre is another major plus.

However, am very interested in hearing more current opinions from anyone who lives in Marino now, or has relatives there. In particular:
    - Are there any issue with anti-social behaviour? A huge consideration for me.
    - Are there any issues with noise carrying between adjoining houses? (I hope not, as understand they are concrete walls).
    - Any other thoughts (positive or negative).

I have noticed that there are quite a lot of properties in the area being put on the market currently, and over the last few months. Would there be any reason for this?

A separate, but related question would be, what would you see as the risks in buying a property dating from the 1920s/1930s? I'm only looking at the houses that have been modernised. My thoughts include:
    - Get a good surveyor to do a thorough review;
    - Make sure that all documentation/planning is in order regarding any extensions;
    - Look for a reasonable BER. Also, check how old is the heating system?

Would appreciate any further thoughts. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 LittleWhiteDog

I live in the estate. Have been here over a decade. It really is a gem of a place to live & there is very little anti-social behaviour at all. The parks (called the circles if you don't know already!) sometimes have local teenagers gather there but it's quite rare & if they do hang out there if a summers night they always tidy up after themselves & don't really cause a nuisance.

There are countless amenities in the local area & you can have a very nice quality of life here. The sense of community is lovely but you can keep to yourself too if you prefer so it is handy like that.

structurally the houses are very well built but they do have asbestos in the ceilings which is fine as long as it is untouched. Most people here do not have it removed unless doing a large job such as an extension. A lot of people simply skim over the original ceiling instead of removing.

Anecdotally I have heard that some of the houses that are in need of refurbishment have been brought back to market because the costs of refurbishing in Dublin is too expensive at the moment. I would imagine a lot of the houses for sale at the moment are as the result of the owners moving to a larger house.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Citygirl1

Thanks LittleWhiteDog - all sounds good! Great to hear from someone living in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 LittleWhiteDog

No problem, let me know if you have any questions I might be able to help you with

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Marino is a much sought after area these days.
    Very walk-able to town and good transport links and facilities nearby.

I'd be conscious of the location you work if you need to drive however.
    traffic volumes are getting worse and you could be ages just getting though town / east link / onto the M50 if required.

Car parking is an issue in Marino. Very few houses have car parking driveways, and many of the roads are cluttered with cars.

You mention a lot of properties put on the market - I reckon those are just sellers making hay while the market is good. I feel prices in the area have plateaued, perhaps because of Brexit and the CB rules.

Best of luck!

Advertisement