Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to start, what to budget...

Options
  • 18-05-2019 7:52am

...buying an old house on a secluded site about a km out of a town. House set back from the road, so for the first time in my life I'm going to have to consider home security. House wouldn't have much of value, no cash lying around, so not sure an expensive CCTV system is appropriate. But with 2 small girls I want something that goes off like an air raid siren if there's an intruder.

Scrolling through threads here, I'm getting a bit lost. Is there any thread or page that strips it all down and would enable us plan and budget?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Presuming this is a complete renovation it's best to wire for everything.
    Wire for cameras also at this stage. Even if you don't go with it the job in the future would be much easier and tidier.
    Get a few companies out to do a survey. They would do you out a proper system design proposal that would help you with what wiring etc is required.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Presuming this is a complete renovation it's best to wire for everything.
    Wire for cameras also at this stage. Even if you don't go with it the job in the future would be much easier and tidier.
    Get a few companies out to do a survey. They would do you out a proper system design proposal that would help you with what wiring etc is required.

Thanks. It was renovated extensively in the past, so don't envisage rewiring, but guess a survey is best rather than doing it by Google.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

All good systems are hybrid these days so you would also have the option of mixing between wired and wireless if need be.

Advertisement