Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Distance spraying from house

• 18-05-2019 9:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if there is any exclusion zone around houses when it comes to spraying, local farmer has two fields of barley beside the house and in the case of one, the distance is barely fifty metres.

Beit planted shrubs, trees or children out playing, you wonder how safe it is to come that close?

He currently has winter barely planted and sprays every two weeks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Your grand, buffer zones are generally 5 to 10m. 50m will be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Mooooo wrote: »
    Your grand, buffer zones are generally 5 to 10m. 50m will be fine.

I'm not the farmer with the barley, I'm the house dweller with trees, shrubs and children out playing

I've a beech hedge half dead this spring, do some cereal growers use extra potent pesticides, as I said earlier, this man sprays every fortnight, other farmers locally think he's mad, that three times max from sowing to harvesting is enough?

The hedge and trees are much less than 10 metres, the house is around 40 m

I understand that. Not a tillage farmer but it's possible one of those sprays may be liquid fertiliser and not a fungicide. There are new regs in with the last number of years where training is required to spray and equipment inspected, which would have been done by a tillage farmer. If you're worried talk to him, as I said 5 to 10 m is the exclusion zone and those sprays he is putting on the plant wouldn't kill the hedge

I understand that. Not a tillage farmer but it's possible one of those sprays may be liquid fertiliser and not a fungicide. There are new regs in with the last number of years where training is required to spray and equipment inspected, which would have been done by a tillage farmer. If you're worried talk to him, as I said 5 to 10 m is the exclusion zone and those sprays he is putting on the plant wouldn't kill the hedge

Would they kill trees if the wind was blowing, spray doesn't always fall straight down, I keep a small flock of sheep around the house as well so they are grazing the grass adjoining this barley ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Herbicides would be out in March/April if concerned as what killed your hedge take a sample to a lab to find traces as most herbs will have a little residual action. Some actives are just very potent to some plant families and affected by the barest whiff.
    Fungicide/growth reg(firebrigade run of terpal or moddus)/liquid fert(likely if spraying so often) or micronutrients this time of year. Likely just an ear wash left. Modern nozzles used right are very consistent with droplet size so easy enough to manage drift . Usually just knock of outer section off near a house

• Advertisement

Herbicides would be out in March/April if concerned as what killed your hedge take a sample to a lab to find traces as most herbs will have a little residual action. Some actives are just very potent to some plant families and affected by the barest whiff.
    Fungicide/growth reg(firebrigade run of terpal or moddus)/liquid fert(likely if spraying so often) or micronutrients this time of year. Likely just an ear wash left. Modern nozzles used right are very consistent with droplet size so easy enough to manage drift . Usually just knock of outer section off near a house

I just measured from the front door of the house to the boundary of the tillage man's field, 40 metres exactly, any risk to human health? , should children be inside if spraying taking place?, should all windows be shut?, came home yesterday and the woman didn't realise the guy was out spraying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I just measured from the front door of the house to the boundary of the tillage man's field, 40 metres exactly, any risk to human health? , should children be inside if spraying taking place?, should all windows be shut?, came home yesterday and the woman didn't realise the guy was out spraying

Have exactly the same situation - less than 40m i’d imagine...

I would bring the kids in whilst spraying is taking place, that’s it, just in case of any drift. But that’d only be for 20min maybe...
    Windows, ah, I wouldn’t be too worried... like, the days he’d be spraying would be very still anyways...

Never seen any issues with any of the sprays affecting any other plants... wish they did something for the briars... :)

Edit - I have sheep too, and they’d be just a fence between the tillage field and the sheep, so could be just a few feet... The sheep would generally move away, but wouldn’t be too worried...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

It always amazes me how people get put out about sprays and fertilizers but are quiet happy to drive around in cars or hop into planes spewing out fumes .sprays these days are mega safe to the point where they are nearly not doing the job.

K.G. wrote: »
    It always amazes me how people get put out about sprays and fertilizers but are quiet happy to drive around in cars or hop into planes spewing out fumes .sprays these days are mega safe to the point where they are nearly not doing the job.
    It’s commercial veg and fruit that uses the nasty insecticide and herbs to prevent pest damaging the finish on final product or nematodes in root crops. Never mind the obliteration soils receive to make them fine enough maximize seedling germination.
    Or the push for backdoor population control by reducing western output of commodity produce pushing the jams back into food poverty as wealthier countries supplement their own domestic output and fudge the rest.
    Least folk can virtue signal on insta or Twitter with their new apple xR or xs

No issues with fertiliser, didn't know it might be liquid fertiliser being applied..

Pesticides are dangerous,much more so than exhaust fumes,you don't even use a knapsack without wearing a mask, every year another product ends up banned so it's not something you can be relaxed about, my young fella has asthma, as do i

• Advertisement

You asked for opinions so we gave it.if you're really panicking give your number to farmer and tell him you d like to make yourself scarce when hes coming spraying

You asked for opinions so we gave it.if you're really panicking give your number to farmer and tell him you d like to make yourself scarce when hes coming spraying

Just correcting your incorrect assumption

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Just wondering if there is any exclusion zone around houses when it comes to spraying, local farmer has two fields of barley beside the house and in the case of one, the distance is barely fifty metres.

Beit planted shrubs, trees or children out playing, you wonder how safe it is to come that close?

He currently has winter barely planted and sprays every two weeks

Buffers and exclusions mean fook all when it comes to you and your families health. The drift from sprays can travel much further during a windy day.
    The farmer is not supposed to spray during windy conditions.
    If I was that farmer there is no way I'd dream of spraying like that when its so close to a house.
    You should set up a camera and record his activities, then if anyone gets sick from the spray you can take action against him

Buffers and exclusions mean fook all when it comes to you and your families health. The drift from sprays can travel much further during a windy day.
    If I was that farmer there is no way I'd dream of spraying like that when its so close to a house.
    You should set up a camera and record his activities, then if anyone gets sick from the spray you can take action against him

I'll approach him about it, not sure who you might report him to however? as I doubt he takes much notice of a complaint

I don’t know if we know for sure the farmer is spraying in windy conditions to be fair...

What would you do so close to a house?

Would you not recommend talking to the farmer first, rather than the first reaction to put up a camera?

I don’t know if we know for sure the farmer is spraying in windy conditions to be fair...

What would you do so close to a house?

Would you not recommend talking to the farmer first, rather than the first reaction to put up a camera?

He was spraying in windy conditions on Friday!, ideally he would not plant at all so close to a dwelling, its not even his field, he has it rented

Ah.... country life

He was spraying in windy conditions on Friday!, ideally he would not plant at all so close to a dwelling, its not even his field, he has it rented

He wouldn’t plant so close to a house? Are you for real? Clearly you shouldn’t be living in the county with rubbish talk like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

A lot of beech hedges took a hammering with the late frost this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

A lot of beech hedges took a hammering with the late frost this year.

Lots of plants did.

I see leaves on established ivy burnt black here.

• Advertisement

He wouldn’t plant so close to a house? Are you for real? Clearly you shouldn’t be living in the county with rubbish talk like that.

I'm afraid it's you who are talking rubbish!

Do you think someone can ride roughshod over all and any health concerns? , some farmers really do have an awful sense of entitlement to do what they like regardless of the effects on others, people like you would happily plant and spray outside someone's window and not an ounce of consideration either

Those days are numbered and the sooner its realised, the better for everyone.

Do you think someone can ride roughshod over all and any health concerns? , some farmers really do have an awful sense of entitlement to do what they like regardless of the effects on others, people like you would happily plant and spray outside someone's window and not an ounce of consideration either

No one should ride roughshod over health concerns. It's whether those health concerns are (un)founded or not is the issue. You've asked for advice, it has been given. Talk to the man if you've any questions or if you want him to give you prior notice. He is most likely doing nothing wrong from the descriptions you've given so you complaining to anyone is unlikely to do anything. You can try and get on with your neighbours as much as possible and that would normally give the best results all round.

No one should ride roughshod over health concerns. It's whether those health concerns are (un)founded or not is the issue. You've asked for advice, it has been given. Talk to the man if you've any questions or if you want him to give you prior notice. He is most likely doing nothing wrong from the descriptions you've given so you complaining to anyone is unlikely to do anything. You can try and get on with your neighbours as much as possible and that would normally give the best results all round.

I've gotten useful advice from a few contributors and that is appreciated,( Dinzee is of the view that spreading in windy conditions is wreckless) others however have not offered advice but reductive sarcasm

As for getting on with neighbours, that's a two way street and if the price from my end is accepting health risks, then I won't be keeping quiet just so others can do what they please

Clueless.
    With Lerap 3 compliant nozzles that most high use applicators will have drift isn't much of an issue these days just use a slightly more coarse mist with boom control that can keep within 50cm of target height. You general want a small breeze as it forces moisture down where as dead calm and hot conditions can cause vapourisation to float away on the wind. Products are scented the same as seed coatings are coloured to warn fookwits and animals away from the chem until it's been disapated.
    40m is not close by a dwelling house, and you all but admited your clueless on what he's used in his crop care programme other than chems are bad. Sounds more like a bad grudge with the bloke looking for a reason for a moan at this stage.

I've gotten useful advice from a few contributors and that is appreciated,( Dinzee is of the view that spreading in windy conditions is wreckless) others however have not offered advice but reductive sarcasm

As for getting on with neighbours, that's a two way street and if the price from my end is accepting health risks, then I won't be keeping quiet just so others can do what they please

What health risks. Your making assumption on no knowledge. Talk to him. Ask for a heads up when he is spraying. You don't know what he is spraying or what it does. The man spraying does and is trained in its use. Neighbours here have land here rented to tillage and veg farmers with years field 10 metres from the back door. No issues at all in their 90s and one still driving

Clueless.
    With Lerap 3 compliant nozzles that most high use applicators will have drift isn't much of an issue these days just use a slightly more coarse mist with boom control that can keep within 50cm of target height. You general want a small breeze as it forces moisture down where as dead calm and hot conditions can cause vapourisation to float away on the wind. Products are scented the same as seed coatings are coloured to warn fookwits and animals away from the chem until it's been disapated.
    40m is not close by a dwelling house, and you all but admited your clueless on what he's used in his crop care programme other than chems are bad. Sounds more like a bad grudge with the bloke looking for a reason for a moan at this stage.

This is the kind of ( turd like) reductive stuff I was referring to

Guess what genius? , my three year old son can't recognise the scent of cereal spray

This is the kind of ( turd like) reductive stuff I was referring to

Guess what genius? , my three year old son can't recognise the scent of cereal spray

Ye you can, it stinks.
    Or have you a chronic lack of supervision and unable to contain them in a safe area of the property?

What health risks. Your making assumption on no knowledge. Talk to him. Ask for a heads up when he is spraying. You don't know what he is spraying or what it does. The man spraying does and is trained in its use. Neighbours here have land here rented to tillage and veg farmers with years field 10 metres from the back door. No issues at all in their 90s and one still driving

Yes I'm aware how cavalier that generation is about all things health and safety.half of them died from working with aspestos etc

Ye you can, it stinks.
    Or have you a chronic lack of supervision and unable to contain them in a safe area of the property?

So it's all on us, the tillage guy has no responsibility?

Classy by the way, questioning someones parenting ability.

• Advertisement

So it's all on us, the tillage guy has no responsibility?

Unless you can give evidence he's done anything wrong and not worked to the regs other than your uninformed and ignorant opinion on the subject, yes. Yes it is. :)

Yes I'm aware how cavalier that generation is about all things health and safety.

You've your opinion made, you obviously only came here to get someone to agree with you which isn't the case. The poster above you gave out about has more technical knowledge than most others would have combined and you've written off his opinion because you didn't like it.
    As for that generation being cavalier, there children are doing a house swop with them to raise their kids there as house more suitable and have no issues. Best of luck

You've your opinion made, you obviously only came here to get someone to agree with you which isn't the case. The poster above you gave out about has more technical knowledge than most others would have combined and you've written off his opinion because you didn't like it.
    As for that generation being cavalier, there children are doing a house swop with them to raise their kids there as house more suitable and have no issues. Best of luck

Aren't we very selective, he calls me a fcukwit and calls me a bad parent yet your all aggrieved about my taking him to task

Room full of hypocrites who don't give a damn about anything outside their narrow focus

Talk to the man...

By the sounds of if he isn’t doing anything wrong - he is in his right to plant whatever he wants in his field, and to spray it with what he wants as long as it’s licensed and he is following best practices... without talking to him, you don’t know what he is spraying or when or why... so again - talk to the man...

I think you have gotten as much advice as you going to get here.

Edit : I don’t know if you follow all the threads on here, but there is a lad out there somewhere that goes off spraying mad things - sea water and seaweed water... Maybe he’s your neighbour and you’re getting worked up over nothing :):)

Talk to the man...

By the sounds of if he isn’t doing anything wrong - he is in his right to plant whatever he wants in his field, and to spray it with what he wants as long as it’s licensed and he is following best practices... without talking to him, you don’t know what he is spraying or when or why... so again - talk to the man...

Edit : I don’t know if you follow all the threads on here, but there is a lad out there somewhere that goes off spraying mad things - sea water and seaweed water... Maybe he’s your neighbour and you’re getting worked up over nothing :):)

Thanks, appreciate your advice

It's a matter of being neighbourly and you don't take chances with kids, his sheep broke out into his crop earlier in the year on two occasions and I alerted him through a third party, as you said earlier, wind strength means all else goes out the window, doesn't matter if NASA designed the sprayer, at the end of the day, weed killer is a toxic substance

If he reacts like most on this thread, il go to the department of agriculture

Thanks, appreciate your advice

It's a matter of being neighbourly and you don't take chances with kids, his sheep broke out into his crop earlier in the year on two occasions and I alerted him through a third party, as you said earlier, wind strength means all else goes out the window, doesn't matter if NASA designed the sprayer, at the end of the day, weed killer is a toxic substance

If he reacts like most on this thread, il go to the department of agriculture

Lots of things are toxic, it’s all about quantities...

Don’t approach the chat with ‘i’ll go to the dept’, you might not get far... understand what he is doing first...
    Plus - I am not sure what you have to go to the dept with, you don’t know what the man is spraying, or when, or why... the only thing you can say is you don’t like it, and that’s not really a valid complaint...

• Advertisement

Aren't we very selective, he calls me a fcukwit and calls me a bad parent yet your all aggrieved about my taking him to task

Room full of hypocrites who don't give a damn about anything outside their narrow focus

My definition of a fookwit is someone who walks through a footpath in afield of tall osr when they know a sprayer is working in it as they were walking down the hill the field over while on a grass margin not following footpaths. Gets them selves dowsed in chem as driver couldnt see them and decides to wait next to the next tramline in a 6/7 ft crop and nearly gets driven over waiting to complain.
    Or the people who let their dogs off the leash(repeatedly told not to and signs) and moan when their Jack russel starts munching the slug pellets.

My definition of a fookwit is someone who walks through a footpath in afield of tall osr when they know a sprayer is working in it as they were walking down the hill the field over while on a grass margin not following footpaths. Gets them selves dowsed in chem as driver couldnt see them and decides to wait next to the next tramline in a 6/7 ft crop and nearly gets driven over waiting to complain.
    Or the people who let their dogs off the leash(repeatedly told not to and signs) and moan when their Jack russel starts munching the slug pellets.

Is english your first language?

Is english your first language?

Sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Lots of things are toxic, it’s all about quantities...

Don’t approach the chat with ‘i’ll go to the dept’, you might not get far... understand what he is doing first...
    Plus - I am not sure what you have to go to the dept with, you don’t know what the man is spraying, or when, or why... the only thing you can say is you don’t like it, and that’s not really a valid complaint...

Op what you're not grasping is that the farmer is probably doing nothing wrong
    Each spray has buffer zones from ditches and waterways that need to be observed, that can then be reduced through the use of anti drift nozzles on the sprayer.

Waffle would be dealing with sprays everyday so he is in the best position to answer your questions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Talk to the man...

It's good to talk.
    To your neighbours that is and to the op maybe give your neighbour your mobile number so that when he/she goes to spray he/she can send a text message/whatsapp warning in advance.
    Your neighbour is legally doing nothing wrong so get the above done for yourself and juniors health if you're concerned.

As for Dinzee. Ya langer.
    I'll have you know I've lovely new flood nozzles fitted that you could now spray in a hurricane. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Mod note. Lads lay off it a bit please.

OP you're guessing here what's being sprayed. Go talk to the man. I'm surrounded by corn here on two sides of the house , we've bees right on the boundaries. The neighbours sprays at dusk when the bees are in. He's under no obligation to do so but he's a reasonable man , as am I. It works both ways. Talk to your neighbour in a reasonable fashion. He might do you a favour.

ganmo wrote: »
    Op what you're not grasping is that the farmer is probably doing nothing wrong
    Each spray has buffer zones from ditches and waterways that need to be observed, that can then be reduced through the use of anti drift nozzles on the sprayer.

Waffle would be dealing with sprays everyday so he is in the best position to answer your questions

As dinzee pointed out, all irrelevant when the wind is strong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

As dinzee pointed out, all irrelevant when the wind is strong

I very much doubt if the farmer is spraying when there is a strong wind blowing, after all, he is trying to get the best coverage on his crop, not the crop in the neighbouring field.

Mod note. Lads lay off it a bit please.

OP you're guessing here what's being sprayed. Go talk to the man. I'm surrounded by corn here on two sides of the house , we've bees right on the boundaries. The neighbours sprays at dusk when the bees are in. He's under no obligation to do so but he's a reasonable man , as am I. It works both ways. Talk to your neighbour in a reasonable fashion. He might do you a favour.

Only took the time to read the title of my property this evening, turns out he is in actual fact trespassing, he rents this particular field but it turns out the last stretch of this ( peculiar) road is private and only one person along with ourselves have a right away, he can still use the field but access is from the other side across fields so no combine getting in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

These disagreements are always the best ones.

I can't wait to read about it in The Independent.
    Just be aware op how some of them end up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Mad_maxx wrote:
    Only took the time to read the title of my property this evening, turns out he is in actual fact trespassing, he rents this particular field but it turns out the last stretch of this ( peculiar) road is private and only one person along with ourselves have a right away, he can still use the field but access is from the other side across fields so no combine getting in

What exactly is your beef with the farmer? I can only speak for grassland but the amount of any one product that can be sprayed in a particular piece of ground is limited year on year. I can imagine that the same would apply for tillage. With the current margins in tillage I would also think that less is more in terms of spending on expensive chemicals.
    Can you not make it your business to speak to the farmer directly? That is the only way in my eyes that you can air your worries about sprays etc.
    I message or speak to all my neighbours directly before starting at slurry, I'm sure he will oblige you with something similar if you make contact with him.
    As for stopping the combine, if it was me I wouldnt be making an enemy of anyone without at least airing a grievance beforehand and letting him know that he actually doesn't have a right of way on the driveway to the field.
    After all if he is renting it the owner might not have told him this and he is unaware.
    Talk to the man and sort it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Keep us informed on how that works out

PoorFarmer wrote: »
    What exactly is your beef with the farmer? I can only speak for grassland but the amount of any one product that can be sprayed in a particular piece of ground is limited year on year. I can imagine that the same would apply for tillage. With the current margins in tillage I would also think that less is more in terms of spending on expensive chemicals.
    Can you not make it your business to speak to the farmer directly? That is the only way in my eyes that you can air your worries about sprays etc.
    I message or speak to all my neighbours directly before starting at slurry, I'm sure he will oblige you with something similar if you make contact with him.
    As for stopping the combine, if it was me I wouldnt be making an enemy of anyone without at least airing a grievance beforehand and letting him know that he actually doesn't have a right of way on the driveway to the field.
    After all if he is renting it the owner might not have told him this and he is unaware.
    Talk to the man and sort it out

I don't mean I was going to stop the combine this year, harvest is only few months away, he has no right of way, he only uses this route for heavy machinery, only his second year growing barley, used to put in and take out cattle from the other side

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭Kickstart1.3

It's a worry for any parent to see spraying so close to your home. Just look at the what is happening Monsanto. They are getting sued every other day now.
    If the op children or themselves get sick from the spray they need to do more than informing the department. They need to take legal action against him too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Would you not grow a high boundary hedge around your property? I'm sure that would help.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement