Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What next for Alan?

Options
  • 18-05-2019 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭

Well, I think the time has come. The e46 has served me very well over the last 7 years but I think its done. Really my main trouble is only 2 doors, and the questionable reliability. So here's what I think my list is for wants:

4 doors: The practicality of the 2 door e46 is non-existant, and now need 4 doors. As for size, I'd be thinking 3 series saloon or that kind of class.
    Engine: Petrol is a must, and really I would like power similar/better than what I have. Tax is maybe a bit of a question mark, I don't think I'd like to pay much more than I do now at 1080 per annum.
    Budget: Sub 5k. I cover little mileage so I can't justify spending a whole pile.
    Age: Ideally 10 years old or so, but I think that might be difficult, I'd go to something from 2007 I'd say.

Thoughts so far:

Mazda 6 MPS: There's only a few in the country that I can find for sale. It ticks the box in terms of size/power. And they are relatively reliable. I've read of chain rattle at higher mileage which I'd keep an ear out for. Could be a good option if I found the right car.

Octavia VRS Petrol: There are a few around in petrol guise, but they're rare enough. I would assume the reliability is decent here. The power might be a bit lacking, but it's not something I'm too concerned with. Not sure between auto and manual in terms of gearbox.

Golf GTI: Perhaps a bit on the small side, but also hard to find a good one at this price/age. So not too sure how I feel about them.

Lexus IS250: A bit left of field. Not as performance orientated as the rest, much more a cruiser. But very reliable and can be had for very cheap considering what you get. As far as I know the engines are reliable, and they are relatively tight to drive.

So what do we think? Any other cars I've not thought of? I think I'd like to steer clear of the BMW options. There's not many I6 BMWs around, and they have their issues at this age, and I reckon I've had enough BMW for now.

Comments

Advertisement