Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What next for Alan?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

7 previous owners?! :eek:

Common enough at that age and engine size I'd have thought. Mine had 11 before I bought it:pac:. But worth checking out properly all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

tenor.gif?itemid=10898740

This may not apply to you Alan as it may not happen but I got bored of my 6 MPS after about 8 months. "old man" feel kind of took over the novelty of it.

If I were in your situation I'd be putting the GTi at the top of my list and introducing the petrol Octavia vRS into the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Lexus GS 300? I have decided to sell mine even though it kills me!

• Advertisement

Going to take a look at an IS250 this week. This one in particular:

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/lexus/is250/used-2008-lexus-is250-sport-4dr-dublin-fpa-201902285404920

There's good and bad here. Fresh NCT, only one previous owner (need to make sure of that), lowish mileage. But it's a manual. Which is not ideal on this car, but I've only read about it so I'll have to see what it's like. There's a fair few of these about anyway, so I'll start with that and take it from there.

And Truckermal, the GS300 is a lovely machine, but I've never been a huge fan of the looks and I don't know if I'm ready for a barge just yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I went from a very high spec IS250 to a MK5 GTI, and now in an E60 530d. I miss the IS, genuinely a great car once it has all electrics (heated/cooled leather included) and the sat nav/Mark Levinson system. Also, if going for an IS250 then stick with auto as manual should not be used in such a big cruiser. I test drove a manual, and within 30 seconds I knew I hated it and needed auto. It was easily the comfiest car I've ever driven for sub 3k. The GTI, to me, was the most boring car I've owned (and it's touching on 35 cars since 2009) and just didn't sit well with me knowing how temper-mental they are. I only went E60 because it's one to scratch off the list, and will be going ST Focus to also scratch that itch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

I had an '06 250 previously - loved the car. Very (very!) comfortable and surprisingly quick.

I changed in the end though as mine was manual and I really didn't like the gearbox. It was fine when cruising but just felt 'wrong' in lower gears. They 250's of that era have a reputation for the manual gearbox being sh*te in general.

I changed for an Astra OPC afterwards, so chalk and cheese.

I went from a very high spec IS250 to a MK5 GTI, and now in an E60 530d. I miss the IS, genuinely a great car once it has all electrics (heated/cooled leather included) and the sat nav/Mark Levinson system. Also, if going for an IS250 then stick with auto as manual should not be used in such a big cruiser. I test drove a manual, and within 30 seconds I knew I hated it and needed auto. It was easily the comfiest car I've ever driven for sub 3k. The GTI, to me, was the most boring car I've owned (and it's touching on 35 cars since 2009) and just didn't sit well with me knowing how temper-mental they are. I only went E60 because it's one to scratch off the list, and will be going ST Focus to also scratch that itch.
    IrishZeus wrote: »
    I had an '06 250 previously - loved the car. Very (very!) comfortable and surprisingly quick.

I changed in the end though as mine was manual and I really didn't like the gearbox. It was fine when cruising but just felt 'wrong' in lower gears. They 250's of that era have a reputation for the manual gearbox being sh*te in general.

I changed for an Astra OPC afterwards, so chalk and cheese.

Really appreciate the input lads. I'm looking for something with a bit of power, but with some comfort and reliability as well. Which the IS250 seems to fit. Good to know RE manual vs auto, I've read the manual is like a truck gearbox. I'll post back after a couple of test drives.

I went from a very high spec IS250 to a MK5 GTI, and now in an E60 530d. I miss the IS, genuinely a great car once it has all electrics (heated/cooled leather included) and the sat nav/Mark Levinson system....

That reminds me and no doubt a few others of the infamous Mark Levinson equipped IS250 posts a couple of years back. :)

Also can’t believe that 2006 BMW 325i still hasn’t sold - now asking €2400

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2006-bmw-325i-touring/21830835

Alan, I think you’d be mad to buy that car with a manual gearbox!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

JayZeus wrote: »
    That reminds me and no doubt a few others of the infamous Mark Levinson equipped IS250 posts a couple of years back. :)

I'd love to know why that hasn't sold?! Is it the tax or is the something up with the car that's revealed when it's test driven? I want it :mad:

JayZeus wrote: »

Yeah I'm surprised by that one as well. Thought it would go reasonably quick at that money. The 5 series wheels are a bit bizarre, and I'd wonder if there's other issues not apparent from the photos. That gen 2.5 litre has it's issues at that age and mileage, and it's not something I want to deal with really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Isn’t the engine these a bit fragile?

Yes, very. A 320si should be avoided at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RootX

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/seat-leon-fr-dsg/22359973

if low mileage, service history checks out

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Ah man, it's manual! Very rare! Ford focus drivers will be all over your arse!!!

On serious note. Why don't you go for auto? Those were very good and better then manuals. Specially in a car like this. Is250 is not a car to do donuts in, so manual not really needed.

Ah man, it's manual! Very rare! Ford focus drivers will be all over your arse!!!

On serious note. Why don't you go for auto? Those were very good and better then manuals. Specially in a car like this. Is250 is not a car to do donuts in, so manual not really needed.

Haven't bought anything yet! Just going to check out the manual, but I feel that it's a car better suited to the autobox.

(Classic reference btw...)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Going to take a look at an IS250 this week. This one in particular:

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/lexus/is250/used-2008-lexus-is250-sport-4dr-dublin-fpa-201902285404920

There's good and bad here. Fresh NCT, only one previous owner (need to make sure of that), lowish mileage. But it's a manual. Which is not ideal on this car, but I've only read about it so I'll have to see what it's like. There's a fair few of these about anyway, so I'll start with that and take it from there.

And Truckermal, the GS300 is a lovely machine, but I've never been a huge fan of the looks and I don't know if I'm ready for a barge just yet!

MTIwMzk0ODM1ZDY4Y2U3MzFiNzMzNzM5MGUxOGNlNjS-MXmWLshiC9rF-KiIy5xHaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjgxMTU2NzJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg
    What about something like this ? Seems to be similar spec and low owners too. Although Tax/NCT till Sept

marko93 wrote: »
    MTIwMzk0ODM1ZDY4Y2U3MzFiNzMzNzM5MGUxOGNlNjS-MXmWLshiC9rF-KiIy5xHaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjgxMTU2NzJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg
    What about something like this ? Seems to be similar spec and low owners too. Although Tax/NCT till Sept

I had that exact colour, and that's the only reason I sold it...it's dreadful :o:pac:

I had that exact colour, and that's the only reason I sold it...it's dreadful :o:pac:

There's a bit of that about it alright! And those wheels are a bit crap too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Subscribing to see where this goes!

I think we got our E46 in or around the same time, only yours had two extra cylinders! Mine is parked up about two years and I went to an E92 N53 engined 325i MSport. I like the car, it has given me some hefty bills but I'm already thinking about the next move after driving a mate's M4 last weekend, utterly epic but completely unobtainable unfortunately!

Just curious, I've never found either the E46 or E92 to be particularly impractical. Granted I don't have kids or need to move elderly people around regularly but they've both moved house with me a few times and comfortably taken passengers and their luggage to various occasions.

• Advertisement

There's a bit of that about it alright! And those wheels are a bit crap too!

I convinced myself I could deal with it because the car had EVERY optional extra...but alas it made me throw up :pac: I do miss the cooled seats on a day like today though :cool:

Subscribing to see where this goes!

I think we got our E46 in or around the same time, only yours had two extra cylinders! Mine is parked up about two years and I went to an E92 N53 engined 325i MSport. I like the car, it has given me some hefty bills but I'm already thinking about the next move after driving a mate's M4 last weekend, utterly epic but completely unobtainable unfortunately!

Just curious, I've never found either the E46 or E92 to be particularly impractical. Granted I don't have kids or need to move elderly people around regularly but they've both moved house with me a few times and comfortably taken passengers and their luggage to various occasions.

Yeah, I've had my e46 over 7 years now. Really the lack of rear doors is annoying, not due to family, but even bringing friends about. And at the age of the car, niggles are constant and I'm honestly a bit afraid to bring it on a road trip. And sure 7 years is enough for any car!

And really I do drive so little, so I'm unwilling to spend heaps on a replacement, hence this thread. And the Lexus might just suit me, so I'll see what I make of them in the next while when test driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Would you consider a 159?

I had the 150bhp diesel for 3 years; lovely to drive, great interior, gorgeous lines, but I was constantly fixing something, mostly small niggly things. But this could quite possibly have been due to the mileage and age of the car though. However if you're doing low mileage, might be worth a punt?

This 2.2 Ti looks smashing, low miles too.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-159/22484846

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Agree 100%. The manual in these isn't that pleasant, plus the auto box makes it feel like a shrunken luxobarge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

eljono wrote: »
    Would you consider a 159?

I had the 150bhp diesel for 3 years; lovely to drive, great interior, gorgeous lines, but I was constantly fixing something, mostly small niggly things. But this could quite possibly have been due to the mileage and age of the car though. However if you're doing low mileage, might be worth a punt?

This 2.2 Ti looks smashing, low miles too.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-159/22484846

I've had a petrol 1.9 JTS for 7 years without much issue - except the dreaded M32 box; Also, whomever had it before me REALLY treated it badly.

Anyway, for the 159 I'd look at the 1750 Turbo engine, probably impossible to find here, may need to take a look in UK. Might be a bit over the 5k budget however.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭mr c

Left field I know
    but this is a lovely car and meticulously minded bye its current owner
    insurance not too bad on em , quick car and should hold its money and be fairly reliable if looked after

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/subaru-legacy-gt-turbo/22448450

Mentioned over on ISDC

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Alan, my brother has a Mk5 Golf estate at the minute with a 2 litre turbo lump and DSG, he took it as a trade in last week and will be advertising it again soon enough. Its black, Jap import, nice spec (full length glass roof, nav etc)

Can send you on proper details if you're interested

Drove this today:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-is-2008-automatic/22335957

Executive spec car, clean on the outside and with 170,000km on the clock. No marks on the paint at all, but the front bumper was dipping slightly. As if it had gotten a bit of a shunt and broke some of the retaining plastic.

Car was tired shall we say, had been sitting a long time. Was jump started and ran smooth enough. Engine management light on, traction control light on, complaining about keys out of range when car was running etc etc. Took it for a spin and despite the tyres not being pumped correctly it actually drove well enough. I liked the steering, the driving position was good. It wasn't a wallow-y car in the bends at all and had good acceleration. Auto-box was smooth.

But ultimately the car needed work, a wiff of oil came through the air vents on my return. I reckon rocker cover or something. Needed front discs and pads, and tyres all round. Not even worth 2K in my opinion. He offered it for 2800, didn't push at all as I didn't want it.

Take aways are that I do like the IS250. Looks well, goes well, handles well and generally does what I think I want it to do. Just need to find the right one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

At least you know what you want. The UK may be a better option, not for saving cash but just for choice. I drove one few years ago, a diesel, belonging to a garageman friend and I would have bought only I knew how crap the diesels were.

Advertisement