Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What next for Alan?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Key out of range is generally due to the battery in the key - happened me a few times. Easy battery to replace obviously and it sorts the problem.

Worst case, hold the key touching the start button and it’ll work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

If we were willing to go a bit older

2001 BMW 728i

YWE4MDM0NGQwNzk2ODBlMzEyZmQwMTljYjU5ZWNkMDQqsf_y4MCSs6GqUAUGlrbIaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjkwNTcwOTl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Anoteher old but interesting car:
    Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4

MTA3NWZlZTNhMzNhYjQxNmFmMmViZWMzZmY1NmQ2YjjasPE-K-RgWvn8YSaTeBEHaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjQwNzIyMTd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Older again and you would need to be willing to do some work:
    Mercedes 190E Cosworth:

YjhhNmFmNzExNDg1YzZjNjA4MTU2ZjFhMDJlMmNjOTEzmHO7frMk6DVpRXOgr2yaaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjgwMzQyMTZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

The 7 could be nice but wow is it basic even by the standards of the day, manual seats in a luxury car:eek:? About the only extras it has are the M steering wheel and dual zone climate control (unbelievably, Irish spec 7s only has basic air conditioning as standard back then).

Also, those wheels look like ones that were only available in the E32 (the 88-94 generation 7 series) and E34 5 series, they don't suit the car either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Absolutely no interest in anything 'older', really I'd like to have something that's 10 years old, with a bit of wiggle room. Not jumping from one 01 BMW into another. Really the goal here is a car that I won't have to fix every few months. While still being a bit quick and decent looking (4 doors is a must too).

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

1.8 Avensis really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

Drove this today:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-is-2008-automatic/22335957

Executive spec car, clean on the outside and with 170,000km on the clock. No marks on the paint at all, but the front bumper was dipping slightly. As if it had gotten a bit of a shunt and broke some of the retaining plastic.

Car was tired shall we say, had been sitting a long time. Was jump started and ran smooth enough. Engine management light on, traction control light on, complaining about keys out of range when car was running etc etc. Took it for a spin and despite the tyres not being pumped correctly it actually drove well enough. I liked the steering, the driving position was good. It wasn't a wallow-y car in the bends at all and had good acceleration. Auto-box was smooth.

But ultimately the car needed work, a wiff of oil came through the air vents on my return. I reckon rocker cover or something. Needed front discs and pads, and tyres all round. Not even worth 2K in my opinion. He offered it for 2800, didn't push at all as I didn't want it.

Take aways are that I do like the IS250. Looks well, goes well, handles well and generally does what I think I want it to do. Just need to find the right one.

200 quid off considering whats at least a grand of work you're buying (if you went with ditch finders for tyres)....he really broke his heart for you

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

GavMan wrote: »
    200 quid off considering whats at least a grand of work you're buying (if you went with ditch finders for tyres)....he really broke his heart for you

"I'll get those lights turned off for you if you pay full price" he said. Good luck mate. Going to look at a few more. Slim enough pickings though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If you like the IS I know this car from brand new, the owner bought a 191 lexus, I'd see it a few times a week, I've been in it a few times. I don't think you'll find a cleaner one. https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-lexus-is250/22494406

If you like the IS I know this car from brand new, the owner bought a 191 lexus, I'd see it a few times a week, I've been in it a few times. I don't think you'll find a cleaner one. https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-lexus-is250/22494406

That’s the best interior/exterior colour combo and transmission in the 250 IMO.

Cradle for Nokia 6680 is so period correct for the thrusting junior exec of 2008

This one was minded like a baby, kids all gone, Mrs has her own car. It looks very fresh. He's not heavy i'd say the drivers seat isn't even creased too much, rest of the seats should be nearly new.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Cradle for Nokia 6680 is so period correct for the thrusting junior exec of 2008

He was about 65 when he bought it. Nobody's been hammering this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

He was about 65 when he bought it. Nobody's been hammering this one.

How much commission are you getting :pac::pac::pac:

Ah, I assumed he was the second owner because of the ad, ownership probably just changed.

Hopefully the dash isn’t drilled into for that cradle, usually they wouldn’t dare on a higher end car and splash out for the bracket!
    it seems to have Bluetooth as well so the cradle could be taken off.

I thought he bought it new, maybe he didn't, it's been around long enough though, he's not selling it himself said it's gone up the country to be sold. Could have easily sold it here if he wanted.
    Yea has Bluetooth, hasn't had a Nokia in years..

That lovely Lexus (The Japanese Mercedes) has dropped in price to €2000.
    Get on it.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That lovely Lexus (The Japanese Mercedes) has dropped in price to €2000.
    Get on it.

I thought the reg was obsecured when I looked at the ad, wrong car the minter sold last week was chatting with the owner. Still that ones a lot of car for the money if it's correct. Stick an android head unit in and it's more modern than the new one.

Would you buy a 250 before the budget, I'm interested to see where car tax ends up?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Drove this today:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-is-2008-automatic/22335957

Executive spec car, clean on the outside and with 170,000km on the clock. No marks on the paint at all, but the front bumper was dipping slightly. As if it had gotten a bit of a shunt and broke some of the retaining plastic.

Car was tired shall we say, had been sitting a long time. Was jump started and ran smooth enough. Engine management light on, traction control light on, complaining about keys out of range when car was running etc etc. Took it for a spin and despite the tyres not being pumped correctly it actually drove well enough. I liked the steering, the driving position was good. It wasn't a wallow-y car in the bends at all and had good acceleration. Auto-box was smooth.

But ultimately the car needed work, a wiff of oil came through the air vents on my return. I reckon rocker cover or something. Needed front discs and pads, and tyres all round. Not even worth 2K in my opinion. He offered it for 2800, didn't push at all as I didn't want it.

Take aways are that I do like the IS250. Looks well, goes well, handles well and generally does what I think I want it to do. Just need to find the right one.

Alan, these are very common for carbon buildup on the pistons as they aren't direct injection. They cause the engine light to come on, which turns on the traction control light too. Also look out for clunky rear diff, you'll only hear it over 100.

Advertisement