Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Gate automation

Options
  • 18-05-2019 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

Well,

Has anybody tried to automate their gates with something like sonoff rf/wifi relays and remote rf switches with electric actuators?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

Well,

Has anybody tried to automate their gates with something like sonoff rf/wifi relays and remote rf switches with electric actuators?

Simples: https://youtu.be/K7Hw6hRzEwE

Not my vid btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Nice video

Spent some time today doing something similar, coincidence.

With Sonoff remotes RF switching. But used as a parallel switching path not primary.

The remotes like this with a 20V battery have a good range

I have a lightwaverf rf hub.

I have a lightwaverf single channel relay fitted into the intercom phone acting as a parallel button press on the gate open

Then in the lightwaverf app I create an Event named open gate

It's look like

Gate relay "on" + delay 3 seconds + Gate relay "off"

That event is a single command and Alexa and Google assistant can interface with it. No soldering just 220 V to the relay and lv cabling to the push button

OWSOO eWeLink USB DC5V Wifi Switch Wireless Relay Module Smart Home Automation Modules Phone APP Remote Control Timer Switch Alexa Voice Control for Access Control System Inching/Self-Locking https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DS3FKP8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_HVj4CbDDXH19B

OWSOO eWeLink USB DC5V Wifi Switch Wireless Relay Module Smart Home Automation Modules Phone APP Remote Control Timer Switch Alexa Voice Control for Access Control System Inching/Self-Locking https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DS3FKP8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_UXj4Cb8H2RBPJ

The cheaper units above will juice up from a small dc voltage.

The output has a timed out put, inching etc. These are adjustable and would not require that you butcher a remote.

Simply fit this so that you have access to the terminals that open the gate.

In my case at the controller or the intercom.

At the controller you could power this device and wired it to open the gate in the one place.

Heres a sonoff one.

SONOFF D12V/5V Long Distance Remote Timing WiFi Wireless Switch Module for iOS/Android Smart Home Arisesun https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07KSZHMXH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_54j4CbNNAR43S

Inching is a required feature

You need the app like the Sonoff app or the lightwaverf app, or a mechanical adjustment to control and copy a button press and release

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    The cheaper units above will juice up from a small dc voltage.

The output has a timed out put, inching etc. These are adjustable and would not require that you butcher a remote.

Simply fit this so that you have access to the terminals that open the gate.

In my case at the controller or the intercom.

At the controller you could power this device and wired it to open the gate in the one place.

Soldering two wires is not butchering a remote. Let's be clear about that.

Any competent person could do it easily.

Soldering two wires is not butchering a remote. Let's be clear about that.

There is no need to waste the remote.

I've bought sonoff remotes for 2.50 and soldered them up, agreed that's not butchering them, cheap and purchased for the job, I did not repurpose them.

The remote used in the video is a paired unit with a rolling RF connection paired with the access control unit, not a sonoff universal unit. Generally people need all the ones supplied with the gate/door, probably came off someone's keyring.

You'd need to know how to set this up with your gate. They are generally more expensive. It's a layer not needed for this application, it also requires a battery

There is no need for a four channel Sonoff Pro R 2 lighting unit, possibly no need for a psu and no need waste a remote control on it, no need to introduce RF, or a battery change into the equation at all.

It's like suggesting that's someone use a
    Toyota bus to carry one person around when the same company have car ready to go designed for exactly for that application. The guy in the video is aware there are other videos.

There is no need to waste the remote.

I've bought sonoff remotes for 2.50 and soldered them up, agreed that's not butchering them, cheap and purchased for the job, I did not repurpose them.

The remote used in the video is a paired unit with a rolling RF connection paired with the access control unit, not a sonoff universal unit. Generally people need all the ones supplied with the gate/door, probably came off someone's keyring.

You'd need to know how to set this up with your gate. They are generally more expensive. It's a layer not needed for this application, it also requires a battery

There is no need for a four channel Sonoff Pro R 2 lighting unit, possibly no need for a psu and no need waste a remote control on it, no need to introduce RF, or a battery change into the equation at all.

It's like suggesting that's someone use a
    Toyota bus to carry one person around when the same company have car ready to go designed for exactly for that application. The guy in the video is aware there are other videos.

Sonoff 4channel pro V2 and and cheap remote to use as in the videos for less than €25 say from some of the Asian sellers. I'll have all the Toyota buses going thanks.

Sonoff 4channel pro V2 and and cheap remote to use as in the videos for less than €25 say from some of the Asian sellers. I'll have all the Toyota buses going thanks.

Incorrect sonoff pro R2 with the required latching and inching is 22 euro plus 11 postage from the Chinese sites or 33 pounds from Amazon. All the Chinese sites have high postage costs.

The remote that he pairs with the gate, it's not a cheap remote, you need to know how to pair, he didn't do that in his video. He sacrificed one he had, many remotes for gates/doors cost between 20 to 80 euro it's only very cheap controllers that use a fixed RF signal

Power supply for Sonoff in that video 6 euro

If SONOFF is the selected hardware for this project then the correct Sonoff unit should be used imo

The solution in the video for this job is over engineered, takes longer, more expensive, more maintenance uses up a socket point, bulky and has too many layers

Versus the Sonoff unit that the same manufacturers have designed for the job that's far smaller, no need for a battery, works on wifi not rf, no battery etc

Look it's a discussion forum, trashing these things out is what it's all a out, that's why it was set up.

As the video says there are many ways to do this. For examples those Sonoff units did not exist when I did mine

Incorrect sonoff pro R2 with the required latching and inching is 22 euro plus 11 postage from the Chinese sites or 33 pounds from Amazon. All the Chinese sites have high postage costs.

The remote that he pairs with the gate, it's not a cheap remote, you need to know how to pair, he didn't do that in his video. He sacrificed one he had, many remotes for gates/doors cost between 20 to 80 euro it's only very cheap controllers that use a fixed RF signal

Power supply for Sonoff in that video 6 euro

If SONOFF is the selected hardware for this project then the correct Sonoff unit should be used imo

The solution in the video for this job is over engineered, takes longer, more expensive, more maintenance uses up a socket point, bulky and has too many layers

Versus the Sonoff unit that the same manufacturers have designed for the job that's far smaller, no need for a battery, works on wifi not rf, no battery etc

Look it's a discussion forum, trashing these things out is what it's all a out, that's why it was set up.

As the video says there are many ways to do this. For examples those Sonoff units did not exist when I did mine

Meh, toys out the pram springs to mind. Good luck.

• Advertisement

Meh, toys out the pram springs to mind. Good luck.

:) Happy to help

:) Happy to help

Didn't ask for it, got all the help I need from the video that I posted to help the op.

But whatever you think yourself there..

Anyway op I hope you got some common sense info from the video link.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭samdeluxjones

Yes I did thanks, from both angles..

Why and what are you soldering the remote buttons to?

Yes I did thanks, from both angles..

Why and what are you soldering the remote buttons to?

Have a look at the video, haven't done it yet myself. But plan to shortly. It's very straight forward, but then again I can solder so it's no big deal etc. Essentially, the relay once triggered on the sonoff is mimics a button press on the gate fob thus opening/closing the gates.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Simples: https://youtu.be/K7Hw6hRzEwE

Not my vid btw.

An over complicated solution in my opinion.
    The Sonoff solution is far more straight forward, robust and easier to fault find in the event of an issue. In addition any mobile phone can function as a remote control.

I don't like the idea of modifying a remote to be honest, it can only be justified if there was no affordable alternative.

2011 wrote: »
    An over complicated solution in my opinion.
    The Sonoff solution is far more straight forward, robust and easier to fault find in the event of an issue. In addition any mobile phone can function as a remote control.

I don't like the idea of modifying a remote to be honest, it can only be justified if there was no affordable alternative.

Not really complicated when the individual is competent in their abilities. If they are not then I see your point about compilation and all that craic.

Have my Sonoff 4ch pro V2 and generic cloned remote waiting to go. Will have it up and running in less than thirty minutes. All for less than €20. Really it's not rocket science.

Q.E.D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Not really complicated when the individual is competent in their abilities.

I was referring to the unnecessary modification of the remote.
    Why bother?
    I am still struggling to see the advantage.
    All for less than €20

Great price. Do you have a link?

Even at that twice than the Sonoff D12V/5V option.
    Really it's not rocket science.

Yup, you could use a sledge hammer to crack a nut :)

I was referring to the unnecessary modification of the remote.
    Why bother?
    I am still struggling to see the advantage.

Great price. Do you have a link?

Even at that twice than the Sonoff D12V/5V option.

Yup, you could use a sledge hammer to crack a nut :)

Why bother? Because I can.

Regards price, no I don't have a link but hey you can Google that yourself surley?

Sledge hammer/wall nut? Not really.

This thread is now more about splitting hairs and sh*te talk tbh. But hey what your having yourself.

As I said before ...good luck. When you get to bridge give me a wave..

Op, if you want links to the item (s) I procured feel free to pm me and I will pass them on.

Regards price, no I don't have a link but hey you can Google that yourself surley?

I thought so.
    I did Google the price, many times you are way off.
    This alone is reason enough to go with the more straight forward option.

I thought so.
    I did Google the price, many times you are way off.
    This alone is reason enough to go with the more straight forward option.

Straight forward for simple, your right. Best off really.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Guys stop the back and forth bickering last and final warning.

And..... done. Total time 15 min and €21.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

dingdong if you have links to the item (s) you procured please post them in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭samdeluxjones

Ah ok,

The WiFi relays nowadays have the rf built in no no need for that step I reckon?

I did watch the video and also most of SuperHouseTVSuperHouseTV

If that guy can't do stuff with sonoff then it can't be done..

Advertisement