Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily rate for Stonemason

Options
  • 18-05-2019 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Am based in Mayo and am hoping to get an old byre rebuilt and reroofed.Around half of the byre is still intact including one full gable end and fortunately there is plenty of good building stone around the byre to use to restore it.

Have seen the work of one good stonemason who has one labourer who works with him....before approaching him I would like to have a rough idea what a good stonemason and labourer would cost per day. Roughly?

Thanks for any replies....I’m guessing a stonemason could be well over 150 euro cash a day as it is a skilled job?....is that anywhere right as a ballpark figure?

Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Hi all,
    Am based in Mayo and am hoping to get an old byre rebuilt and reroofed.Around half of the byre is still intact including one full gable end and fortunately there is plenty of good building stone around the byre to use to restore it.

Have seen the work of one good stonemason who has one labourer who works with him....before approaching him I would like to have a rough idea what a good stonemason and labourer would cost per day. Roughly?

Thanks for any replies....I’m guessing a stonemason could be well over 150 euro cash a day as it is a skilled job?....is that anywhere right as a ballpark figure?

Thanks for any replies.

Hi all,
    Just bumping this,really appreciate any replies on my query.

Hi all,
    really appreciate any replies on rough idea of costs per day for a stonemason and his labourer,

thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭pajosjunkbox

A good stone Mason who is in demand could be double that ! 100 - 130 per sqm I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Most stone masons work to a sq metre price and not a day rate. Best bet is too ring a few and ask for quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Hi WesternPromise
    I know nothing of stone-masoning but there is a facebook group about restoring traditional cottages in the traditional way, with the original crafts, trades etc
    It is facebook group Cottageology - a good place to ask this question.

There's a company based in Newry (I think) that re-points and renews old stonework
    Its called "-snip-" and they have a facebook page too, some impressive restorations

(I know you said a Byre, but a building is a building. Probably they could advise if they don't do it themselves)

[snip]

• Advertisement

A good stone Mason who is in demand could be double that ! 100 - 130 per sqm I think.

Probably hard to answer but if the stone was there near at hand and was good quality how many sqm would a good stonemason build in a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭enricoh

Would be a nice job for a retired fella. Ask in the local coop or builders providers.
    My in laws are farming in mayo n they n any locals I've met are very handy at any building work. Most have done a stint in England years ago.
    Would be fairly reasonable price wise too.

Advertisement