Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safer cycling with pool noodles

Options
  • 19-05-2019 12:18am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Interesting idea, looks silly but can certainly see how effective it might be. Most motorists won't want to take the chance that it might some how damage their car.

Imagine the fun of everyone started using these to ensure motorists gave more space

https://qz.com/1620913/the-best-cycling-hack-is-a-pool-noodle/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Interesting. I wonder what emotional reaction it engenders in drivers.

"Bloody triathletes!" hopefully.

Slightly reminds me of the mind hack of looking up as you walk against the flow through a crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Wouldn't it make it more difficult to cycle six abreast though?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭gavinoontheweb

I don't see it lasting too long when I'm stopped at the lights by the five lamps or meandering down the beaver row bottleneck. Might work for the yanks and their wide roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Nice idea, but I'd expect when a very small minority of drivers realise it's a foam tube, it will spawn a new sport, noodle clipping.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It would defo become a target

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

coastwatch wrote: »
    noodle clipping
    That's actually the current best practice when it comes to harvesting spaghetti. Traditionally you'd take the whole noodle, but clipping ~3 cm from the branch promotes regrowth.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,378 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

anyone misread that as Pot noodles?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭cletus

That's actually the current best practice when it comes to harvesting spaghetti. Traditionally you'd take the whole noodle, but clipping ~3 cm from the branch promotes regrowth.

Sorry, but noodles and spaghetti are absolutely not the same thing. Noodles don't grow on trees, they are actually runner shoots of the noodle plant, a sort of low bush

cletus wrote: »
    Sorry, but noodles and spaghetti are absolutely not the same thing. Noodles don't grow on trees, they are actually runner shoots of the noodle plant, a sort of low bush
    Balderdash!
    Everyone knows they're related to worms!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

cletus wrote: »
    Noodles don't grow on trees, they are actually runner shoots of the noodle plant
    The technical term is "ryezome".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

coastwatch wrote: »
    Nice idea, but I'd expect when a very small minority of drivers realise it's a foam tube, it will spawn a new sport, noodle clipping.

Stick a couple of wire scouring brushes around the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Wouldn't it make it more difficult to cycle six abreast though?

Makes it much easier. You simply bungee your noodle to the end of your companion's and so on for all six...

main-qimg-00bdc03098c224967dbc86275854b575-c

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

• Registered Users Posts: 29,059 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Duckjob wrote: »
    Stick a couple of wire scouring brushes around the end of it.

And a nice, firm aluminium pole through the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

And a nice, firm aluminium pole through the middle.

And how long before car's will have their own versions!!!

Missile launchers are the answer!!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

And how long before car's will have their own versions!!!

these are already being sold. Never mind what demented animal buys them, who the hell goes taking a photo of their kid with them!

main-qimg-8a3067b88c1fb81d560dd3f16091d1d4

http://newscoverage.org/index.php/2013/10/23/police-on-lookout-for-spiked-wheel-nuts/
    Montreal police and their counterparts elsewhere in the province are on the lookout for trucks equipped with long, dangerous wheel nuts that can shred small cars and seriously injure pedestrians.

Though illegal, the lugs—known as scythed chariot wheel nuts—are easily purchased online and increasingly popular on trucks that ply Montreal’s streets and highways. They take their name from the knives that Roman warriors used to attach to the wheels of their chariots to cut down enemy infantry, like the ones seen in the movie classic Ben Hur.

Scythed chariot wheel nuts serve no mechanical purpose. Their only use is aggressive: to harry other motorists sharing the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

rubadub wrote: »
    these are already being sold. Never mind what demented animal buys them, who the hell goes taking a photo of their kid with them!

main-qimg-8a3067b88c1fb81d560dd3f16091d1d4

http://newscoverage.org/index.php/2013/10/23/police-on-lookout-for-spiked-wheel-nuts/

Little Girl: "Daddy, are you one of those f**ked up tossers that think they're part of a Mad Max film when they go out driving on the roads"

Daddy: "I am indeed, my love"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Leaving aside the noodle thing, which I can't gainsay, because I haven't tried it and in no conceivable universe will I try it, the article is pretty loose with statistics:
    According to the World Health Organization, over half of international traffic deaths involve vulnerable road users such as cyclists.

The linked article, as you might expect, lists VRUs as pedestrians, motorcyclists and cyclists, and pedestrians are almost certainly the largest group in there.
    And because Americans are among the least avid cyclists in the world, they’re among the most likely to get killed by a car.
    The linked article is about the OECD, not the world. I suspect you're more likely to be killed on the road in quite a few countries that aren't in the OECD than you are in the USA.

Then there's the bit about her life being saved twice by a different foam-based safety device, which belongs in another thread, and I'm not going there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

"over half of international traffic deaths involve vulnerable road users"

well, the fact that they're dead proves they were vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

Her mate ran over her head?

• Advertisement

Because she didn't like her head!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Finnrocco wrote: »
    Her mate ran over her head?

That's how Meatloaf got his name, allegedly.

Because she didn't like her head!

If anyone knows what I am alluding to here, I will send them a free gift in the post!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

No body else thinking of Pot Noodles when they skim down through the thread titles!
    They certainly stand out alright!
    Dd4opAbXUAAOwzh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

If anyone knows what I am alluding to here, I will send them a free gift in the post!

Kind of paraphrasing the Aladdin theme song? "I am Aladdin, from a wonderful place, Where they cut off your hands if they don't like the face"?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,397 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Never eaten a Pot Noodle in my life and certainly won't try when I'm cycling. Sounds incredibly dangerous.....

Beasty wrote: »
    Never eaten a Pot Noodle in my life and certainly won't try when I'm cycling. Sounds incredibly dangerous.....
    Nigh on impossible to boil the water!

Deagol wrote: »
    Kind of paraphrasing the Aladdin theme song? "I am Aladdin, from a wonderful place, Where they cut off your hands if they don't like the face"?

Nah man that's not it.

I never knew name for these yokes, even if there was a name for them.

I said to the wife you know those things kids use in the pool, long foam things, yeh pool noodles she says.

Women really do know everything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement