Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia 2019 - Stage 9 Riccione - San Marino (ITT) 19-May **unmasked spoilers**

Options
  • 19-05-2019 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭

From INRNG: 4.8km and all on wide, open roads. After leaving the seaside resort of Riccione it’s 22km to the second time check in Faetano and here the road starts to climb with 5.3km at an average of 6.6% and the slope nudges 8% for the first kilometre, then for the most part it’s regular but a tighter section as it twists through the village of Montegiardino. Once over the top there’s an exposed section of false flats before the slope kicks up into San Marino and a sustained climb of 6% for the final two kilometres.

G19_T09_San_Marino_alt_jpg.jpg

G19_T09_S01_San_Marino_SAL_jpg.jpg

Start times (Irish time):
    Rafal Majka 14:22
    Superman Lopez 14:25
    Vincenzo Nibali 14:28
    Simon Yates 14:31
    Tony Gallopin 14:34
    Davide Formolo 14:37
    Primoz Roglic 14:40
    Pello Bilbao 14:43
    Sam Oomen 14:46
    Andrey Amador 14:49
    Pieter Serry 14:52
    Fausto Masnada 14:55
    Amaro Antunes 14:58
    Valentin Madouas 15:01
    Nans Peters 15:04
    Giovanni Carboni 15:07
    Jose Joaquin Rojas 15:10
    Valerio Conti 15:13

Current GC:
    1 Valerio Conti (Ita) UAE Team Emirates 35:13:06
    2 José Rojas (Spa) Movistar Team 0:01:32
    3 Giovanni Carboni (Ita) Bardiani CSF 0:01:41
    4 Nans Peters (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:02:09
    5 Valentin Madouas (Fra) Groupama-FDJ 0:02:17
    6 Amaro Antunes (Por) CCC Team 0:02:45
    7 Fausto Masnada (Ita) Androni Giocattoli-Sidermec 0:03:14
    8 Pieter Serry (Bel) Deceuninck-QuickStep 0:03:25
    9 Andrey Amador (CRc) Movistar Team 0:03:27
    10 Sam Oomen (Ned) Team Sunweb 0:04:57
    11 Pello Bilbao (Spa) Astana Pro Team 0:05:23
    12 Primoz Roglic (Slo) Team Jumbo-Visma 0:05:24
    13 Davide Formolo (Ita) Bora-Hansgrohe
    14 Tony Gallopin (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:05:34
    15 Simon Yates (GBr) Mitchelton-Scott 0:05:59
    16 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Bahrain-Merida 0:06:03
    17 Superman Lopez (Col) Astana Pro Team 0:06:08
    18 Rafal Majka (Pol) Bora-Hansgrohe 0:06:13

Live TV coverage on Eurosport1 now. Highlights on Eurosport1 at 8pm & 11pm this evening.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Victor Campenaerts is currently in the hot seat. He had a disaster of an enforced bike change but even still it might be a while before his time is beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

I think they could have floated around Italy with this weather

Roglic faster than Yates and Nibali at the first time check but not by a huge amount; 17 and 27 seconds respectively

• Registered Users Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Disaster for Yates and Lopez

Wow, really poor from Yates

• Advertisement

Roglic goes fastest and bar something very very strange will win the stage. He gains just over a minute on Nibbles and just over three minutes on Yates!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Yates & Lopez being big losers so far. I'd say Nibali is happy with that and I hope he goes on to win. Mollema should move onto a podium position now if he can hold form in the mountains.

With the time gaps for yates and lopez it means they'll have to attack early so could make final week good?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Roglic will win the Giro if he stays upright on his bike. Disaster for Yates, so he'll have to attack, but how fit is he to do any damage? Nibali still within reach but will need Roglic to have a bad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Yates completely blew up there. Did he put far too much into the flat section? Don't see anyone sh!tting themselves after watching that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Yates completely blew up there. Did he put far too much into the flat section? Don't see anyone sh!tting themselves after watching that.

Probably put too much effort into sh1t talking before the race began, happy for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭lissard

Wow, Nibali is shaping up really well this year. He's a proven GC contender, expect some fireworks in the Alps. As ever the last few days of the Giro looks sadistic and a lot will come down to how good Jumbo Visma as a team hold up in the last week.

ROGLIC +0:00
    MOLLEMA +01:00
    NIBALI +01:05
    CARAPAZ +01:55
    YATES +03:11
    LOPEZ +03:45

• Registered Users Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Jesus the conditions are awful!

Conti still in pink with 1'50" lead. Roglic now second in GC

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Savage poor stuff from Yates today.

Roglic looks primed & ready for the next period in this Giro but id love to see Nibali win it myself.

This time last year I'd have been 100% Yates but I've cooled towards him in recent months. Nibali needs to get back 1:44 I think and then gain another what 2 minutes maybe more to give him a chance going into the final stage. Yates would need 5 minutes plus as it stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Roglic has by all accounts an inexperienced team for GC protection left so he may be vulnerable. This is likely why they left the jersey go during the week.

Nibali is clever and looks on top form, for me he is the only one who can mount a serious challenge & sustain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Odds on Nibali shortened from 6/1 to 15/4 today.

Come on Nibbles, I need a new bike :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

The trumps never fail to amuse me even now having seen hundreds of them and I bet the pros get a kick out of them big time if they win.

The one for Anna van der Breggen in the Cali tour was great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

L O N G way to go in this Giro yet ! I think upping Roglic as the de-facto champion is premature. He needs to be in pink after the last day ..........

It will be interesting to read Matt White summary of yesterday - he was cock sure that Yates would put it up to Roglic in the TT; I'd say MW is the source of SYs cockiness to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Doc07

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    L O N G way to go in this Giro yet ! I think upping Roglic as the de-facto champion is premature. He needs to be in pink after the last day ..........

It will be interesting to read Matt White summary of yesterday - he was cock sure that Yates would put it up to Roglic in the TT; I'd say MW is the source of SYs cockiness to be honest.

I’d take anything he (MW) says with a big pinch of salt and view any confidence he expresses with a bigger does of skepticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Roglic will win the Giro if he stays upright on his bike. Disaster for Yates, so he'll have to attack, but how fit is he to do any damage? Nibali still within reach but will need Roglic to have a bad day.

I might be wrong!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

velo.2010 wrote: »
    I might be wrong!!

Well technically he didn't stay upright so you are still good

Advertisement