Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calculating a rent increase using RTB calculator

Options
  • 19-05-2019 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭

I think I’m being very thick here but using the RTB rent calculator to calculate a rent increase is giving me the wrong number (I think) even after inputting all the details it asks for.
    The calculator is giving me this:
    €1250 x (1+0.04*29/12) = €1370.83

The rent was last increased on 01/04/2017 and the date the new rent will come into effect is 01/09/2019 (allowing me to give a bit more than 90 days notice)

My confusion arises because I thought the first review after two years for an existing tenancy prior to the 24th of Dec 2016 only allowed 2% increase per year.

Does the RTB calculator not take this into account even when it asks for the dates?
    Should the calculation be:
    €1250 x (1+0.04*29/24) = €1310.41

But then the extra five months is also at the 2% pro-rata level?

If the first two years is 4% increase & the 5 months is 5/12 x 4% should the rent increase by €1250 + 5.67% = €1320.87

Any mathematical geniuses out there who could help me? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

Hi there,
    I'm bumping this as I've the same issue with the RTB calculator, after negotiating a rent increase for a sitting tenant (after 6 years).

The rent from Dec 2015 is €1300 and the calculator works out the max increase as €1,445 - thats 2% pa for 5.5 years. Shouldn't it be 2% for the first 2 years/24months, and then up to 4% for the 3.5 years thereafter?

we agreed a rent of €1,500 (still miles below the market rate, but that's ok), but I need to send a screenshot from the RTB website and I can't figure it out.

EDIT: I've figured this out - up until the FIRST rent review for an existing tenant, irrespective of how long ago the rent was set, the max increase is 2% pa. In other words, I'm being penailised for not increasing it 4% (2yrs * 2%) after the first 2 years of the tenancy had passed. If it did that I could increase it up to 4% for each of the subsequent 3.5years.

Its only a small difference to me, as hte rent I agreed was still so much below the market rate, but its bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

sk8board wrote: »
    The rent from Dec 2015 is €1300 and the calculator works out the max increase as €1,445 - thats 2% pa for 5.5 years. Shouldn't it be 2% for the first 2 years/24months, and then up to 4% for the 3.5 years thereafter?

we agreed a rent of €1,500 (still miles below the market rate, but that's ok), but I need to send a screenshot from the RTB website and I can't figure it out.

that's illegal then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

meijin wrote: »
    that's illegal then?

which is why I asked the question :D

Advertisement