Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slievenamon CC 200km Sportive August 25th

Options
  • 19-05-2019 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Below are details for our 2019 Sportive. We have decided to be a little different to previous years and make it a 200km spin across various climbs, Christ the king, The Vee, Colligan & The Nire to finish off.

Date : August 25th
    Start Time : 7am

Route : https://www.strava.com/routes/18032569

Start & finish : Powerstown Racecourse Clonmel with loads of parking & refreshments after the event.
    Eircode : E91 EP20

Entry : €50 for CI members with limited places or €55 for non CI members, online only via https://eventmaster.ie/event/zDvFPYSQJ

This is a Cycle Ireland approved event with rules of the road to be observed at all times by participants.

Please see Slievenamon CC Facebook page for further details.
    https://m.facebook.com/Slievenamoncyclingclub/

Any questions please ask below and i'll answer or get the information needed.

480714.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Small bump for this folks, it's a smashing route.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭AxleAddict

I'm very tempted by this - but can't commit until closer to the time. Might try and squeeze in the West Cork Peaks Challenge the day before if I can so that I can justify the journey down from Belfast. Will just have to hope there are still places left come August. I did the Tour of the Galtees a few years ago and had a great day out (I see this route overlaps that a bit) so will definitely keep it in mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Unfortunately, I'm working that day. :(

Otherwise I'd love to do it (and it's not far from the in-laws so I'd have accommodation).

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭hoganj

Tempted by this, but the longest sportive i've done was the 100km Sean Kelly thing a few years back, hmmmm

Unfortunately, I'm working that day. :(

Otherwise I'd love to do it (and it's not far from the in-laws so I'd have accommodation).

That's a real pity as we would have welcomed WA to the parish for a mammoth spin and knowing you it would have menat cycling home as well!!!

• Advertisement

hoganj wrote: »
    Tempted by this, but the longest sportive i've done was the 100km Sean Kelly thing a few years back, hmmmm

With a steady training programme the 200km would be well within your grasp. There is plenty respite between climbs though the last one will be tough on the legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Typically how many would you get participating in this one?

who_ru wrote: »
    Typically how many would you get participating in this one?

Hi, it's our first one at 200km so hoping to get 200 or more all goikg well. The route will appeal to cyclists looking for something a little different than the standard 100k balls out Sportive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Must put this in the aul calendar

fat bloke wrote: »
    Must put this in the aul calendar

Good stuff, we can't guarantee dancing Garda or stewards Beara style but we will give plenty encouragement along the way.

• Advertisement

Sharing this again folks, after today's Tour De Kilkenny some may fancy a visit our way.

Chrsit The King
    The Vee
    Colligan
    The Nire

All solid climbs and the last two will test the legs for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭AxleAddict

AxleAddict wrote: »
    I'm very tempted by this - but can't commit until closer to the time. Might try and squeeze in the West Cork Peaks Challenge the day before if I can so that I can justify the journey down from Belfast. Will just have to hope there are still places left come August. I did the Tour of the Galtees a few years ago and had a great day out (I see this route overlaps that a bit) so will definitely keep it in mind...

Well, for better or worse, I signed up for this a while back, so looking forward to it this weekend - also gonna do the West Cork Peak Challenge the day before as originally planned. It's the ~5hr drive each way I'm not quite so keen on! :P

Anyone coming tomorrow be careful on the descents off each climb as normal, they are quick with the last one when kegs are tired one to be wary of.

The numbers didn't reach our target but weather will be good and hope everyone has a good & safe day.

All went off today without a hitch. The weather turned out to be glorious if even a little too warm for the last two climbs.

We hope all had a good day & hope to see even more do this next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

dahat wrote: »
    All went off today without a hitch. The weather turned out to be glorious if even a little too warm for the last two climbs.

We hope all had a good day & hope to see even more do this next year.
    Just see that a few people I follow on Strava did it including a fellow club member. By all accounts, it was a great day. Envious now - well done.

Just see that a few people I follow on Strava did it including a fellow club member. By all accounts, it was a great day. Envious now - well done.

Thanks, hopefully he passes on good things about us.

Of course we will take on board any observations good or bad for next year, always room to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

Hi Dahat , not on Facebook but luckily theres a thread here for me to give Slievenamon CC a tonne of credit for Sunday. It was such a well ran event, the details all taken care of, with the support to the riders being second to none. The weather i can't give ye credit for but it was the ideal day ye deserved.

The route was stunning, we rolled and we climbed our way around Tipp and into Waterford , horsing down nice grub at the right times. Marshall's were excellent with their vocal support, tho next year a sticky bottle up Colligan might ne nice. Man it was rough!!

To anyone thinking of doing this next year go for it, get your ticket early and train for it. Your hard work will be rewarded.

Congratulations and thank you SCC.

Thank you very much for the kind words. We have done a quite a few Sportives over the years but 200kms is a challenge to marshall etc so delighted to hear it went well.

The day got the better of a small few who chose to head towards Clonmel bypassing The Nire. These lads were topped up with extra fuel by road marshalls where possible. The numbers allowed this extra touch and it is something that will be done where possible next year.

There is a few pictures about so if you want one just drop me a pm with name and I'll try locate one from the Facebook page.

Roll on 2020!!!

Advertisement