Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Approaching stockists for your products?

Options
  • 19-05-2019 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi there guys, does anyone have any experience on approaching stockists to sell their products. If yes, what are the necessary steps one should take. Should we call them up or should we mail them a sample along with a letter of explanation?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Depends on the product and the type of retailer you are going for. Big difference in a niche product your aiming to stock in indes and a food product you're looking to stock in the big multiples.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Moonaz

jimmii wrote: »
    Depends on the product and the type of retailer you are going for. Big difference in a niche product your aiming to stock in indes and a food product you're looking to stock in the big multiples.

Yeah true...well I am interested in selling food products. Most likely approach small to medium retailers....not sure if the big Guys will look my way (but if anyone has tips for the big guys, feel free to share)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Moonaz wrote: »
    Yeah true...well I am interested in selling food products. Most likely approach small to medium retailers....not sure if the big Guys will look my way (but if anyone has tips for the big guys, feel free to share)

How far down the line are you? Is your packaging good to go? Do you have a solid supply chain? Smaller retailers will want bigger margin do you have that built in? Have you done any customer surveys etc?

I would start by ringing a few local places and asking to make an appointment to see the buyer (it's really annoying I'd you just drop in!). When you go to see them take some samples, pricing, information on the product and how to order and see what happens. If you dont hear anything for a few weeks then you can email to follow up but wouldn't do that more than once. Try get as much feedback from them as possible so you can adjust if need be. With any luck you'll get a stockists or two out of that. Once you think you are able to roll it wider then it's fine to just post samples and info etc we get that all the time. With non food products it can be annoying but no one ever said that about a food or drink product they are always appreciated :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Moonaz

jimmii wrote: »
    How far down the line are you? Is your packaging good to go? Do you have a solid supply chain? Smaller retailers will want bigger margin do you have that built in? Have you done any customer surveys etc?

I would start by ringing a few local places and asking to make an appointment to see the buyer (it's really annoying I'd you just drop in!). When you go to see them take some samples, pricing, information on the product and how to order and see what happens. If you dont hear anything for a few weeks then you can email to follow up but wouldn't do that more than once. Try get as much feedback from them as possible so you can adjust if need be. With any luck you'll get a stockists or two out of that. Once you think you are able to roll it wider then it's fine to just post samples and info etc we get that all the time. With non food products it can be annoying but no one ever said that about a food or drink product they are always appreciated :pac:

We have done all that you have asked except customer survey. Also when you talk about big margin, how much are they roughly expecting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

It's a food product - how familiar are you with food regs., labels, packaging, traceability, allergens, etc.? Is it the nut product that you were on about some time ago? I cannot see how any small store group would buy just a small-scale single line from a start-up supplier, it's simply too much hassle. Have you considered for e.g. selling to bars (if it's the nuts!)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

What stage of product development are you at? Have you your production sorted? Has your EHO signed off on your labelling and also food production premises? How niche is your product? Having quite a bit of skin in the game, feel free to PM me and I can advise better, however without a game plan as to how to establish your business channels nor the required margins by each reseller, I'd fear for your development.

Advertisement