Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love Island 2019 (Please See Note In OP...)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,262 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Anyone want to start taking bets on who will survive Casa Amour??
    Imagine if Emily Barker was in there, wipe the smug grin off Amy's face.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Maura is rough full stop. That Longford accent! My god, shocking

What's she supposed to do? Drop her Ballymahon lilt and start speaking West Brit? Fair play to her! A bit rough no doubt, but in the way of the constant F-bombs more than her accent. I wish she'd tone that down. She's also going to have to tone down the prowling she-wolf act..

That said, she's the only one who's a bit real in the diary room. God help Tommy Fury, but he'd never be able to handle her for long!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

Anyone want to start taking bets on who will survive Casa Amour??
    Imagine if Emily Barker was in there, wipe the smug grin off Amy's face.

Casa Amour is up for sale so they might have a different gaff this year :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Rainbow Kitty

I'm gutted that Joe is gone, he was my favourite in there but on the other hand i'm glad that Lucie will get to couple up with someone else and maybe start to really enjoy the experience instead of trying not to upset Joe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I'm gutted that Joe is gone, he was my favourite in there but on the other hand i'm glad that Lucie will get to couple up with someone else and maybe start to really enjoy the experience instead of trying not to upset Joe :)

Hard to know after her reaction last night.

Pretty much isolated in there now. So either she sticks it through, probably means hanging out with girls more or a new partner, or she does a runner.

We've seen contestants before threathen to walk when their partner goes but she has the most case out of all of them. Hope she doesn't and sticks it to Amy. Puts her sights on Curtis haha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

jluv wrote:
    Glad Anton stayed. Maura is the fakest there. Theres always people I change my mind on but don't think she'll be one. I really hope Curtis and Amie don't get to be the new Jack and Dani. I like him but theres a nasty undercurrent to her.. I'd like to see Tommy and Lucy get together..

I don't think she's fake at all. She has no filter, doesnt stop to think and swears like a fishwife. I don't see her behaviour as tactical.
    I agree with all your other points. Amie will be like the cat that got the cream now a competing couple is gone.
    Can see Tom's head being turned in Lucie's direction now she's single. Hope Maura has the pride to back off. He clearly preferred Elma.
    Just hope Lucie doesn't wallow in misery without Joe. Get your act together woman!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Totally agree, Maura HAS to have the common sense to just give up with Tom, no self respect if she goes after him when he so clearly chose elma over her. I really like Maura and wish I could just send her a little text to give her some advice!

would love to see Tommy and Lucie get together now, Molly doesnt have a genuine interest in Tommy and if she does it is a kind of "fake it till you make it" kinda love where she pretended for so long that she developed something for him in the end. either way, im not a big fan of her at all!

Amy is far too smug, she is a little bit crazy really, you can see it bubbling away underneath!

ya know, I think amber and michael might be the winners at the moment, they are playing it low key and come across as really genuine, not overly lovey dovey, just getting on great and having fun.

not enamoured with the two new guys really, they are a bit "meh" but I suppose I need to get to know them more and give them a chance.

yewande? dont know what is up with her, poor danny is practically proposing to her and she is rejecting him. did you see how he went to give her a little kiss once they were saved and she turned her head? very odd! although in saying that, maybe she is just being real and she isnt going to stay in a relationship for the sake of it. perhaps she deserves a lot of respect for being herself but at the same time, this is a game and she isnt playing it well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

A lot of chat about Joe and Lucie and edits can show things so differently but the same argument can be said for Amy (again allowing for editing). She seems a particularly nasty piece of work under the façade.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

The producers can do what they want with you, they can portray your character in many different ways.

I actually feel a bit sorry for Joe. The guy is just a kid. Yes he is obviously competitive, but I would genuinely find it difficult watching your " girlfriend" flirt with other guys etc. Lucie is a ride, loads of men will always want to be with her, she is also well used to these behaviors with men.

He has made a fool of himself but I don't really think it is fair the way the media is picking this up. The tabloids will annihilate the poor guy. I hope he can recover, he is not a bad person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,442 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

All the focus on Joe and not much discussion of the other girls being devious unrelenting bullies...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    The producers can do what they want with you, they can portray your character in many different ways.

I actually feel a bit sorry for Joe. The guy is just a kid. Yes he is obviously competitive, but I would genuinely find it difficult watching your " girlfriend" flirt with other guys etc. Lucie is a ride, loads of men will always want to be with her, she is also well used to these behaviors with men.

He has made a fool of himself but I don't really think it is fair the way the media is picking this up. The tabloids will annihilate the poor guy. I hope he can recover, he is not a bad person.
    From a physiological point of view what Ywanda is doing is fairly bad as well yet no mention of it. Textbook method for acquiring power and control in a relationship.

From a psychological point of view what Ywanda is doing is fairly bad as well yet no mention of it. Textbook method for acquiring power and control in a relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

JeffKenna wrote:
    From a psychological point of view what Ywanda is doing is fairly bad as well yet no mention of it. Textbook method for acquiring power and control in a relationship.

What's her problem anyway? She seems put off by him swearing undying love when they barely know each other...Does she actually know what the show is all about?
    Not sure if she fancies him at all.Her body language was never very encouraging anyway. He won't be long tiring of her if this strop continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I understand that I apologise. It was first spoiler posted and I've been here form day one it won't happen again

All good, Dirk. I'll pull that red card off your profile too - no harm done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    What's she supposed to do? Drop her Ballymahon lilt and start speaking West Brit? Fair play to her! A bit rough no doubt, but in the way of the constant F-bombs more than her accent. I wish she'd tone that down. She's also going to have to tone down the prowling she-wolf act..

That said, she's the only one who's a bit real in the diary room. God help Tommy Fury, but he'd never be able to handle her for long!

she's rough as a bee's ar$e, if she was from Dublin her accent would be fair game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

This is the thing.

The media tend to point the finger at Love Island for the mental state of the islanders/contestants, and until they brought in these changes it really looked like a case of once you're done you're not their problem, but the media have been the big reason for fanning the flames and tearing their lives apart. Fans can be awful too but the media will run with it and milk every penny keeping it alive. They follow them and try find any dirt on them. It's rich that they then go to criticise the show when at least it is attempting to change.

I believe the stories that he's been taken to a "safehouse" to prepare himself for the backlash and it's shocking really. I know Womens Aid are trying to spread the importance of realising and identifying controlling and abusive behaviour but this is the third time in my memory that they've picked a contestant to use as an example, named them and labelled them.

They've toned down how they go about it but I think it just pours more fuel on the fire of abuse to a young person on a semi scripted reality tv show who has no idea what they will be leaving to.

His poor mother is getting contacted now. Apparently devastated with what she is reading about her son and arguing that the things people are calling him are not true at all, and talking about his life at home and friends. I forgot the's only fecking 22!

Ann22 wrote: »
    JeffKenna wrote:

What's her problem anyway? She seems put off by him swearing undying love when they barely know each other...Does she actually know what the show is all about?
    Not sure if she fancies him at all.Her body language was never very encouraging anyway. He won't be long tiring of her if this strop continues.
    I'm not sure... She's a smart cookie and very self aware judging by her diary room chats so whatever it is I reckon it's a plan anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,262 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

100%.
    I feel like this has all been edited and blown up for good telly and drama.
    There was such a hubbub about minding participant's mental health following the 2 recent and heartbreaking deaths.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Given up watching now. Will keep up to date on this thread. It's more interesting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

Mr E wrote: »
    I understand that I apologise. It was first spoiler posted and I've been here form day one it won't happen again

All good, Dirk. I'll pull that red card off your profile too - no harm done.

Thanking you mate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    she's rough as a bee's ar$e, if she was from Dublin her accent would be fair game.

I think her accent is actually very typical of her home area. I don't think its fair to characterise her as rough on the basis of her accent, just as it would be unfair and wrong to characterise the TOWIE and Scouser accents of some others on the show in a pejorative way either.

Maura came in 'full-on' with clear riding instructions (cough! cough!)from producers to shake things up because the whole thing was dying a slow insipient death and needed a kick up the ar$e. She carried out that role very well and shook things up. Look at her performance compared to those of Joe and Lucie for example. Leaving out the controlling/set-up arguments, they acted like they were on a desert island instead of love island. And the other Irish girl, YerWanThere... jaysus but what IS going on inside that very intelligent head?

Anyway, Maura, as you'd say yoursel' FFS, tone down the slutty, chavy stuff. You're a lovely Irish girl and are playing a blinder. Just don't carry the act too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 BoredwithLife

Why does the Love Island theme song sound like a Tribal dance? Can anyone explain it to me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

JeffKenna wrote: »

I disagree, her behaviour is a pathological pattern in my family. My dad and my sister are like that, she's a trainee psychotherapist too and actively works on it with other therapists.
    Both really struggle to take their relationships to the next level because on one hand they want to be in control, on the other they are incapable of trusting a partner.
    His relationships never last longer than 5 years because he's bricking it with commitments.
    She naturally mistrusts nice men and dates horrible guys; she's currently dating a pretty nice lad but she can't let him close and after almost 8 months she is too scared to make it official because she can't trust the process. She had a fair share of really horrible partners, one of them fathered a child with her and didn't tell his parents until she was 8 months along... While living at home.

Some people just really struggle and since they had a really strict selection process this year I'm not too surprised that there isn't your average Geordie accumulation.

Regarding Joe just being a kid: the guy is 22. He is not a child and if he isn't capable of telling right from wrong he shouldn't be there. Some conversations J+L had were really unsettling and I was screaming at the TV that she should run because this shouldn't be the foundation of a relationship. Just look on different relationship boards, this topic comes up all the time.
    Fair enough maybe it was editing but all that came out of his mouth.
    Maybe he's a grand and passionate guy, but he certainly didn't present himself in a good light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

LirW wrote: »
    I disagree, her behaviour is a pathological pattern in my family. My dad and my sister are like that, she's a trainee psychotherapist too and actively works on it with other therapists.
    Both really struggle to take their relationships to the next level because on one hand they want to be in control, on the other they are incapable of trusting a partner.
    His relationships never last longer than 5 years because he's bricking it with commitments.
    She naturally mistrusts nice men and dates horrible guys; she's currently dating a pretty nice lad but she can't let him close and after almost 8 months she is too scared to make it official because she can't trust the process. She had a fair share of really horrible partners, one of them fathered a child with her and didn't tell his parents until she was 8 months along... While living at home.

Some people just really struggle and since they had a really strict selection process this year I'm not too surprised that there isn't your average Geordie accumulation.

Regarding Joe just being a kid: the guy is 22. He is not a child and if he isn't capable of telling right from wrong he shouldn't be there. Some conversations J+L had were really unsettling and I was screaming at the TV that she should run because this shouldn't be the foundation of a relationship. Just look on different relationship boards, this topic comes up all the time.
    Fair enough maybe it was editing but all that came out of his mouth.
    Maybe he's a grand and passionate guy, but he certainly didn't present himself in a good light.

The thing is though and this goes back to my previous point sometimes the questions were directly pointed at him for explicit answers. Mollie Mae asked him what was quite clearly a rehearsed - fed question about "where is your head at right now?" and he answered it which he seemed to answer truthfully. In such cold, harsh terms it can be easier to frame a narrative around it. He may also have softened the conversation with Lucie but they took the parts to make it look bad and used that instead (potentially!!). We don't know without seeing all the footage.

Again though, the girls behaviour and Amy in particular seem to be getting away unquestioned.

There's a been a good deal of pushback to WomanAid from both men and women to that tweet which is good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

Ann22 wrote: »

Yewande is very self aware and knows that Danny is not into her but she does like him . ..he is probably out of her league and she knows it.

She needs to be mentally tougher for that show. She is not playing the game as many of the other couples are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Underground

Michael and Amber ftw. The only two genuinely into each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 BoredwithLife

I've noticed that Yewande is a very reserved girl. She's shy and not great at expressing her emotions. I say she likes Danny as a friend but as from last nights show, she clearly is not into him as he is. This relationship could be doomed.:)

I feel bad for Joe. He has not been portrayed in the greatest light by the media or Love Island for that matter. I'm afraid producer manipulation has portrayed its ugly head yet again. The producers want us to think that Joe is obsessive and emotionally abusive. To me the guy is only in his early 20s and probably hasn't had enough experience of relationships. The media and organisations like Womens Aid should give him a break.

That challenge on Love Island last night didn't appeal to me. All that good food been thrown around last night. How long will it be before a food charity complains to Ofcom that it can't stomach the food that is being wasted on the Island.

I've noticed that Maura's skin didn't look the best either. If she doesn't look after it who know what her skin will look like in her 30s or 40s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

foxyladyxx wrote: »
    Yewande is very self aware and knows that Danny is not into her but she does like him . ..he is probably out of her league and she knows it.

She needs to be mentally tougher for that show. She is not playing the game as many of the other couples are.

Yep I think so too. She knows he's not that interested and his head will be turned at the first opportunity so she doesn't trust him.

LirW wrote: »

I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with? You've said yourself your sister struggles to take a relationship to the next level because she wants to be in control? That doesnt make her a bad person, to borrow a phrase it is what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with? You've said yourself your sister struggles to take a relationship to the next level because she wants to be in control? That doesnt make her a bad person, to borrow a phrase it is what it is.

It's not a conscious thing though, that's what I mean. Like it's not guilting someone into submission. Emotions are complicated :D

Aaaanyway: screw the b1tchy girls, Anna is a total snoozefest, I hope Amy's plan will crumble apart.
    And I love Michael and Amber, their relationship and the way they are to each other at the moment reminds me of my own relationship.

Advertisement