Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for small office PC with SSD

Options
  • 20-05-2019 11:26am
    Subscribers Posts: 41,596 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All, hopefully some of the more experienced heads in here can help me out.
    my very much 'IT poor' boss in work needs to upgrade his current ancient PC.

i think what he has originally was an XP machine that had windows 7 installed over. Its a head wreck for both him and me now with nearly everyday there are technical issues with wifi printers and peripherals.

so what im looking for here is advice as to what to suggest to him as an upgrade.

Dont need a screen, but probably a usb keyboard and mouse.

Its main use would be a kin to a small home office, so very basic word processing, pdf document reading, net browsing etc..... wifi connection to at least 2 printers.

so nothing overly heavy.

It would have to have an SSD drive for quick startup... preferraly not emmc unless they have come on in quality.

Dont need a huge storage capacity.

Ive built before, but i think this would be an off the self purchase.....

Any suggestions please to to the best bang for buck out there currently?

TIA

Comments

would point you towards nuc from intel

edit (hit send early, sorry)

can get them with windows pre installed and although ive had mine on emmc and installed my own ssd alright i believe you can get them in any configuration from scratch

worth looking at, theyre pretty well kitted out in terms of Bluetooth/wireless and assorted ports too

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah, NUC or ZBox would be grand.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,596 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

thanks guys, im liking the look of the NUCs but one question.... can i buy one with say a 128 GB HDD installed along with the 32 SSD?
    and i guess i would purchase office 365 and windows 10 separately ?

the zotac products seem hard enough to get over here?

Some models have a 2.5" slot and an M2 on the board so you could. 32GB is NOT enough for W10, get a 64GB minimum if going that way. I'd go all SSD with the current pricing.

Amazon have some.

def need more than 32gb, id agree that 64gb is a working minimum.

check out their site or amazon, you can get it with windows pre installed etc etc

dont know your requirement or budget but you. should be able to find something to suit

• Advertisement

im looking at a site with 240 gb SSD, intel celeron quad core, 1.5 ghz, NUC 6CAYH with win10 and Office 365 for €460... coming in from UK.
    im seeing some requiring batteries? whats that about :)

im assume its very simple to clip in a 240GB SSD into these boxes?

im a bit blinded by the options in NUC... so could someone put together an amazon bundle with lets say an i3 chip and 240 GB SSD? if win10 preinstalled it would be a plus but not at all a must.

actually, scratch that, ive figured it out....

this one is actually ticking lots of boxes

No name, no reviews, the 4200U is a little too light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would say there is no need for it to be a NUC unless you literally need it to be tiny. You can get a 2nd hand SFF Dell with something like an i5-4570, 8GB ram and 120GB SSD for about €150 on Ebay, three times as powerful, three times as cheap.

any suggestions?
    budget would properly top out at €450 but that should include approx €70 for office 365

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You can shop around but this is an example of a tiny USFF PC you can configure with i5 4th gen, 8GB Ram, 240GB SSD for €205.

i5 desktop 4th gen (say, i5-4440) is miles faster than mobile i5's with U in their model number (eg i5-4200U).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

I answered a similar enough query a couple of months back and for that I recommended a refurbished Lenovo Tiny PC from ITZOO, I think the OP was happy enough with his purchase. I have purchased a few refurb laptops and AIO's from them before and not had any issues.

Looking at their site they have the following i5 7500 with 16gb RAM and 240gb SSD for €380

https://itzoo.co.uk/collections/pc-base-units/products/as-new-lenovo-thinkcentre-m910q-tiny-pc-16gb-256gb-ssd

Although a refurb it still is under manufacturer warranty until 2021 and has a Win 10 license. If you sign up for newsletter prior to purchase you should get a 10% discount code (Often try THANKS10 or TWITTER10). The only negative is the lack of a wireless wifi module or bluetooth connectivity (can be added on obviously)

The one listed above is simply a newer version of the pc suggested by TerrorFirmer

Advertisement