Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hansons Method

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Ah, that's what was confusing. When I've done repeats before my recovery was the distance of the repeat.

So with this if it takes me 2mins for the repeat I should just jog for between 1-2 mins and then go again?

I did the program in 2019. I did 400m on target/400m jog

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Unknownability

I did the program in 2019. I did 400m on target/400m jog

Thanks that's what I would be use to but this time I just jogged for 90 seconds, which was 90% of target time of reps.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 The_Geezer

Another Hanson success story here, followed the plan pretty much to the letter. But had to adapt it a few times with galway bay being cancelled. Etc Did it in 2.57.30. Took 8.mimutes off my pb. Did a 10 k loop 4 times plus the extra bit at the end. Very strong headwind for about 3 mile of each loop. But absolutly delighted to get round. Did my Tempo runs at 6.45 and ended up with a 6.47 average. Very tough plan to follow. But I'm glad I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

I also can again endorse the success of the Hanson plan. It's was third time to use the plan. Ran the virtual marathon yesterday in tricky conditions to an unofficial 2min pb (2:59:28 for 26.3m). In real race conditions with crowds, drafting etc I reckon it could even have been another minute or two quicker.

Like the previous poster I had to make some adjustments to the plan as various races got cancelled. The plan went from 18 weeks to 17 weeks to finally a 20 week plan. Ended up with 1 extra 16mile LR and 2 extra 10 mp runs which was probably of benefit.

Although the plan doesn't encourage training by heart rate, I actually used HR as a guide to establish my MP pace over the first 6/7 weeks to make sure I was neither too slow or too fast. I had the benefit of the results from an LT test last year to help here so deciding the correct MHR wasn't a wild guess. Other than the HR bit, I pretty much ran exactly according to the plan with no LRs over 16 miles.

It's a good plan but it is quite taxing on the body and sometimes feels relentless. IMO the consistency it brings though has huge benefits, training both the body and the mind to deal with the challenges that a marathon brings.

My only problem now is what plan to use next (whenever that is). Suspect I may try something new but I imagine it'll be along similar lines with emphasis on quality rather than quantity cos the aging body won't take too many miles. I'll park that decision for a while though while I 'enjoy' my recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ferris didn't mention that he is 53. A debut sub-3 run at that age shows you how effective the plan can be for (ahem) older runners.

My own story is very similar (and I had the benefit of Ferris's ear and experience for the duration of my own first ever full Hanson marathon block). I also used HR to establish the MP target, actually downgrading over the first weeks from a 3:20 to a 3:21 target. In the end I ran just under 3:21, probably my best marathon run ever, at a time when I feared PB-like times were behind me.

Also did the plan by the book, aside from the additional weeks and a couple of abandoned runs. It's relentless, but the focus on marathon pace just locks it in for you on the day, provided you've chosen carefully and monitored your effort carefully on those 10-mile 'tempo' runs.

• Advertisement

Well done everyone, currently following the half marathon plan with no goal in target just using it for structure and not religiously sticking to it.

Will definitely use it for Berlin next year.

Well done everyone, currently following the half marathon plan with no goal in target just using it for structure and not religiously sticking to it.

Will definitely use it for Berlin next year.

Don't think it's the kind of plan you can do with no target. Everything in it is based on the target.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Don't think it's the kind of plan you can do with no target. Everything in it is based on the target.

Or at least have a realistic target established a few weeks into the plan. The more of the MP paced runs you do at that pace, the more dialled it it becomes and the more likely you are to hit it in the day.

@Ferris - Bloody well done on the sub3 dude!!! Honestly you log was the first I reference when using the plan myself last year and you were so close then.

Delighted for you!

And Murph_D... sweet eh?! You put down some block and sounds like you executed on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭muloc

The_Geezer wrote: »
    Another Hanson success story here, followed the plan pretty much to the letter. But had to adapt it a few times with galway bay being cancelled. Etc Did it in 2.57.30. Took 8.mimutes off my pb. Did a 10 k loop 4 times plus the extra bit at the end. Very strong headwind for about 3 mile of each loop. But absolutly delighted to get round. Did my Tempo runs at 6.45 and ended up with a 6.47 average. Very tough plan to follow. But I'm glad I did.

Well done. Is there a sub-3 Hanson plan available anywhere online? Can't find one. Would like a look.

Murph_D wrote: »

Sorry, when I meant no target, I meant no target race.

I am doing the plan and paces with an "target" for a half marathon PB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

muloc wrote: »
    Well done. Is there a sub-3 Hanson plan available anywhere online? Can't find one. Would like a look.

The "plan" is basically the same for all time targets, just the pace of the tempo and mp runs change. Get the book and read it and read it again. It's kinda hard to get your head around long runs of "just" 16 miles but I have used it and stuck to it for two marathons now and all I can say is that it works. Print off the plan and then use the tables in the book as reference for your training paces.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

Not as such. You just dial in your paces. I got the book on Kindle as well as a good few pics sent to me from a couple of posters here.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 The_Geezer

As the other poster said u need to read it In conjunction with the book. A few pages back in this thread is a link to the excel spread sheets of the 16 week plan. That's what I used

The_Geezer wrote: »
    As the other poster said u need to read it In conjunction with the book. A few pages back in this thread is a link to the excel spread sheets of the 16 week plan. That's what I used

Thanks. I'll have a look at the spreadsheet

Thanks. I'll have a look at the spreadsheet

There you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Duanington

Ferris also didn't mention that he could have done another mile or two at the end if he had to, not his claim - mine, I've never seen someone finish a marathon so comfortably

There you go.

Thanks for that.

Can I ask what extra does the book give as I'd have enough in that spreadsheet to do the plan.

Thanks for that.

Can I ask what extra does the book give as I'd have enough in that spreadsheet to do the plan.

Context on all of the different types of run. How to approach, execute etc.. but all books do that. Most important content is about the method. Where it came from, the why and the how...

As the lads have reported, the plan is relentless. Its relentless because of the method of cumulative fatigue that builds week on week. Without the context you will ask yourself all kinds of questions like "how fast should I do these?", "Can I change the plan?", "What sessions are most important?", "Why do I feel so tired on this run?", "Shouldn't I do at least 1 20miler?", "what is a 'strength' workout?", "am I overreaching, over training or just tired?" etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

25% off LHR plans this weekend if anyone is in the market: https://lukehumphreyrunning.com/training-programs/marathon/

Giving this a bump for anyone who might be using the plan for an autum marathon.

I'm using it for Manchester and the plan starts tomorrow, I'm looking forward to the structure of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Giving this a bump for anyone who might be using the plan for an autum marathon.

I'm using it for Manchester and the plan starts tomorrow, I'm looking forward to the structure of it.

Same here. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Have the book halfway read for a marathon in October hopefully. Struggling hugely with IT band this week though, have been to physio, resting for week and getting no better. Some frustration. On the Hanson method, I spoke to a marathon runner about this and he pretty much laughed at me, if I wasn't doing a 20 mile run it would not work... Is there a good bit of success in here with this plan? It looks sound enough to me.

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Have the book halfway read for a marathon in October hopefully. Struggling hugely with IT band this week though, have been to physio, resting for week and getting no better. Some frustration. On the Hanson method, I spoke to a marathon runner about this and he pretty much laughed at me, if I wasn't doing a 20 mile run it would not work... Is there a good bit of success in here with this plan? It looks sound enough to me.

I've read this entire thread and that issue pops up time and time again, the plan works you just need to believe in the theory behind it.

I'm sure people will pop in with there own personal experiences of it as I've only completed run one of the plan so far :D

Your marathon runner might be sceptical, but he is not very open minded, and not very knowledgeable about marathon training if he hasn’t heard yet that this plan does ‘work’ and that 20 mile long runs are not necessary for good results. Yes, of course there is success with this plan, that’s what this thread is all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

I (and others) can back up Murph on this. Ran a PB (2.57.xx) at age 54 in Valencia off the back of Hansons. Followed it almost to the letter. Longest run was 30k instead of 26 but it really was just a light jog warm up and cool down to make the 30. There IS something about only running 26k though, I'll grant you that.

But the main point stands. The plan works and the comment about 20 milers is just not accurate.

Thanks all! I will be trying it, I just wanted to see your consensus here. I think its a very interesting plan, and the book gives great detail. I'll read back through the thread when I have a little time.

I was a bit worried about the lack of "20's" in the plan but having used it for 3 marathons now I am absolutely sure that it works. I ran my best marathon for years in Dublin 2019....3.20 @ 66 years of age. One thing I noticed was that the "fade" that usually happens late in the marathon was much less pronounced using Hanson and I put that down to doing the hard work during the week and going into the 16 on tired legs. I seems to get the body ready for the tough going in the later miles. Follow the plan and believe in it.

I was a bit worried about the lack of "20's" in the plan but having used it for 3 marathons now I am absolutely sure that it works. I ran my best marathon for years in Dublin 2019....3.20 @ 66 years of age. One thing I noticed was that the "fade" that usually happens late in the marathon was much less pronounced using Hanson and I put that down to doing the hard work during the week and going into the 16 on tired legs. I seems to get the body ready for the tough going in the later miles. Follow the plan and believe in it.

Thanks, it's my first marathon, going for the beginner plan and aiming under 4 hours. Never ran over 25k before so it's a big step and I can't wait. Just the physio issues now at the moment to sort and I'll be on it, hopefully injury free.

I really appreciate all the feedback. And a 3.20 marathon at 66 is incredible! Fair play.

That is a tremendous result, Glencarraig, fair play. I’m a little bit younger (not much), but my own two best results - 3:22, 3:21 - have been ‘powered by Hanson’ also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭FinnC

It like this, as far as I’m concerned,16mile long runs may very well be long enough for you or it may not be. Training is a very individual thing, what works for you may not work for someone else. I did the plan and didn’t really like it and felt the 16 mile long runs were not enough.
    I’ve done other plans with much longer long runs and and had far greater success. My mate did Hanson and he smashed his PB and would never do anything but a Hanson plan now, I wouldn’t be so keen on trying it again.
    The only way you’ll know is by doing the plan.
    In that regard your Marathon friend may well be right,but he may also be wrong!
    I wouldn’t get stressed about it either, if it works great, if not do a different plan for your next marathon. It’s important to enjoy the training also, I didn’t enjoy Hanson as much as other plans, if you enjoy it you are more likely to stick to it and get success.
    All plans work anyway to some extent, you’ll know yourself after a few training blocks what gets the best out of you.

Advertisement