Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma O'Doherty and her unicorns

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

King Mob wrote: »
    However, as your link points out the majority no stun kills in the UK were for kosher reasons.
    This is despite the number of muslim people in the UK out numbering the number of Jewish people by a factor of 10.
    I am not discussing the UK methods here. The stats for Ireland UK and France were given separately. Pre-stunning was not used in Halal slaughter outside the UK.
    Also the other point you avoid and ignore:
    You claimed that muslim people would not adapt their practices. However your link specifically states that they are adapting their practices.
    No, I did not make that claim. I said the opposite...
    recedite wrote: »
    If it can be changed that easily, due to UK market demand, it just shows the exemption to animal welfare laws was never justified in the first place.

Ok. So what brands do you avoid because their are promoting kosher?
    Do you avoid buying Irish Pride? Glanbia?
    If not, why not?
    So now we are back to Kosher bakeries, as opposed to kosher slaughter. I have no problem with kosher bread and bakeries. They have a long history in Ireland. Particularly in parts of Dublin such as around the Grand Canal areas along South Circular Rd. where there used to be lots of them, but that whole area is now swamped with Muslims and Halal shops. Jews are in decline in Ireland, but Muslims are rapidly increasing.
    Even if I thought that Judaism was as malign as Islam (which I don't) the fact that one is disappearing and the other is doing the opposite, is relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I am not discussing the UK methods here. The stats for Ireland UK and France were given separately. Pre-stunning was not used in Halal slaughter outside the UK.

So now we are back to Kosher bakeries, as opposed to kosher slaughter. I have no problem with kosher bread and bakeries. They have a long history in Ireland. Particularly in parts of Dublin such as around the Grand Canal areas along South Circular Rd. where there used to be lots of them, but that whole area is now swamped with Muslims and Halal shops. Jews are in decline in Ireland, but Muslims are rapidly increasing.
    Even if I thought that Judaism was as malign as Islam (which I don't) the fact that one is disappearing and the other is doing the opposite, is relevant.

The jewish population in ireland has been falling since WW2. nothing to do with muslims.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

but they aren't given in detail. They do not separate between kosher and halal.
    And again given the weird disproportionate numbers in the UK, it's not a safe assumption.
    It's an assumption you are pulling out of your arse because you want to maintain this non-issue.

For all you know, all of the non-stun slaughter in Ireland are for kosher reasons.
    Again, if you actually cared about the issue, this seems like something you would know about.
    But you don't cause you don't.
    So then muslim people are assimilating more than Jewish people.

So what's your issue again?
    So now we are back to Kosher bakeries, as opposed to kosher slaughter. I have no problem with kosher bread and bakeries.
    So then what's your problem with halal bread?
    Why will you now be avoiding Brennan's bread?

Remember that the issue you brought up was about bread. Not slaughter.
    Bit hypocritical to be asking "Why are we talking about slaughter?" all of a sudden.

This still doesn't answer the question I posed to you however. So I will just go ahead and conclude that you don't avoid any products that are certified kosher and that your issue is with halal for reasons other than animal welfare.
    So the issue has nothing to do with animal cruelty and everything to do with having a go at muslims.

So the issue has nothing to do with animal cruelty and everything to do with having a go at muslims.
    You're the one conflating the two different issues. Ritual animal slaughter without pre-stunning is one issue. That's an animal welfare issue.

Buying Halal and Kosher bread is a different one. Its a minor consumer choice issue. If there are 4 different brands on the supermarket shelf, and they are all beside each other, and all taste much the same, its as easy to pick one as the other.

Lets say one bread has the Islamic seal of approval, which requires paying annual certification fees to the Islamic centre. The next one has the Jewish seal of approval -its kosher. The next one has the Scientology mark, and the last one carries a tiny swastika indicating that it has the support of some neo-nazi group (or perhaps sponsors the group in some way).
    Which one are you going to pick?
    I'm guessing you will pick the halal. I'll choose the kosher.
    We're both entitled to make our own choices.

You're the one conflating the two different issues. Ritual animal slaughter without pre-stunning is one issue. That's an animal welfare issue.

Buying Halal and Kosher bread is a different one. Its a minor consumer choice issue. If there are 4 different brands on the supermarket shelf, and they are all beside each other, and all taste much the same, its as easy to pick one as the other.
    Again, you brought up animal slaughter. And again you avoid points.

Your position is clearly hypocritical as you have no issue buying kosher approved products despite kosher slaughter being as bad as halal slaughter. (According to your evidence, it's worse.)
    Your objection to halal certified bread has nothing at all to do with animal slaughter and your raising of the issue was pointless.

So what is the issue with halal bread?
    Why is it worth bringing up?
    Why is it so upsetting to you that you would hitch your wagon to a racist conspiracy theorist?

Do you have anything to show that halal certification requires paying annual certification fees to the Islamic centre?
    Is this something you or Gemma are making up?

• Advertisement

Your objection to halal certified bread has nothing at all to do with animal slaughter
    Correct.
    So what is the issue with halal bread?
    Already explained.

Correct.
    So you were just wasting people's time. Super.
    Already explained.
    No, it hasn't been.
    You previously claimed that it was due to the method of slaughter of animals.
    You seem to be claiming that it's because of a fee supposedly paid to an Islamic centre.
    However, since you once again avoided a point that you find inconvenient, I will hazard a guess that that wasn't true either.

So the only explanation is what several of us have pointed out.
    Racism.
    Is that the explanation you are referring to?

Do you have anything to show that halal certification requires paying annual certification fees to the Islamic centre?
    Is this something you or Gemma are making up?
    I do.
    The cost of the Halal certification for diary and food products consists of the following:
    An initial fee of €1500-00 for site inspection to cover the travel, the administration and other expenses involved.
    An annual certification fee. This is currently charged at €300 per year for each product.
    All monies payable to the Islamic Foundation of Ireland.

Meanwhile in faraway Australia, Kelloggs has stopped paying for Halal certification due to consumer concerns about some of it funding terrorism.

So the only explanation is what several of us have pointed out.
    Racism.
    Islam is not a race.
    Its a harmful ideology wrapped up in a religion.
    I'm quite entitled to oppose it's spread here in this country if I want to.

Ok. So the issue is...?

Also, gonna ask to see something that this is the method that Brennan's use.
    I am not going to take your word on anything I'm afraid.
    Meanwhile in faraway Australia, Kelloggs has stopped paying for Halal certification due to consumer concerns about some of it funding terrorism.
    Why are you now bringing up Australia?
    You were moaning at me only a few posts ago for using statistics from the UK.
    Touch hypocritical, no?

Do you have any evidence to show that fees paid to the IFI is being channeled to fund terrorism?
    Sounds a bit like a mad racist conspiracy theory there...

• Advertisement

Islam is not a race.
    Its a harmful ideology wrapped up in a religion.
    I'm quite entitled to oppose it's spread here in this country if I want to.
    Sure. And I'm free to point out that you are simply using pedantry to cloak racism/xenophobia/whatever it is you call it when you are hateful towards a particular people or culture.

Also, again, you're going to have to explain how bread is causing the spread of Islam.
    And then also how you not buying one brand of bread is going to do anything against that spread.

You also might want to explain why you thought that posting a link from a racist conspiracy theorist who believes in fake school shooting and chemtrails would lead to you being taken at all seriously.

Umm. that's not what that article says btw.
    Where are you getting that notion from? :confused:

King Mob wrote:
    You seem to be claiming that it's because of a fee supposedly paid to an Islamic centre. However, since you once again avoided a point that you find inconvenient, I will hazard a guess that that wasn't true either.

*Link given to prove a point.

King Mob wrote:
    Ok. So the issue is...?

Ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,765 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Umm. that's not what that article says btw.
    Where are you getting that notion from? :confused:

It says nothing of the sort yeah.

But don't be surprised or confused. I think you're over estimating the intelligence and attention span of Gemmas followers.

Clearly just speed read the headline, attached their bias to it and posted it as fact. Post truth at its worst. The real surprise would be if there was any substance or relevance in the article. But this is how Gemma and her type attract followers. They target thickos who spend too much time on Twitter and have a 280 character attention span.

Easy pickings!

Humiliating and sad.

*Link given to prove a point.

Ha.
    So is there a point here... or...?
    Also I thought you weren't going to be wasting any more time with me?

The Nal wrote: »
    It says nothing of the sort yeah.

But don't be surprised or confused. I think you're over estimating the intelligence and attention span of Gemmas followers.

Clearly just speed read the headline, attached their bias to it and posted it as fact. Post truth at its worst. The real surprise would be if there was any substance or relevance in the article. But this is how Gemma and her type attract followers. They target thickos who spend too much time on Twitter and have a 280 character attention span.

Easy pickings!

Humiliating and sad.
    Ok I'm sure that Gemma or someone like her tweeted something like Red's post and he's just regurgitating it without even having read the linked story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Gerry G wrote: »

That man has a unicorn picture in between his first and last names. He must consider himself to be a unicorn or have unicorn traits. Possible that he is just an idiot either.

He shouldn't be trusted or quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

Blueshoe wrote: »
    That man has a unicorn picture in between his first and last names. He must consider himself to be a unicorn or have unicorn traits. Possible that he is just an idiot either.

He shouldn't be trusted or quoted. Mental illness perhaps?

I hope hes not allowed around any kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

He shouldn't be trusted or quoted. Mental illness perhaps?

What utter stupidity is this now?

• Advertisement

Boxing.Fan wrote: »
    I hope hes not allowed around any kids.

Why?

Lazy attempts to troll I fear.

I know sure. A unicorn.
    Anyway. Did you see the clip of the woman and her male friend throwing a milkshake at that croft chap?

What did you think about that?

I know sure. A unicorn

Do you have a problem with unicorns?

Yes. They shouldn't be given grass and stables before our own homeless horses.

Yes. They shouldn't be given grass and stables before our own homeless horses.

I think some of the posters on here need to stay away from the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I wonder how Gemma would react if she was told that the Unicorns were killed in an Halal approved manner?

I think some of the posters on here need to stay away from the grass.

What about croft and the milkshake though?

What about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,603 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

He should use a sippy cup.

Advertisement