Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma O'Doherty and her unicorns

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

That doesnt make it alright though. He still supports arson of dp centres. He still violently threatened his curry coke milkshake attacker. Hes a racist thug.

This thread (and for that matter any thread relating to immigration, refugees etc) has rapidly departed from what could be considered rational debate.

There are lies, innuendo and exaggeration in virtually every post on BOTH sides of the argument,.

Any even light call for immigration control results in accusations or racism. Any comment, act or even body language of some people is exaggerated, expanded and condemned irrespective of actual content.

People who questions statistics and quotes are buried under an avalanche of tabloid rants, conspiracy theories or misinterpreted quotes.

Its both sad and scary that a rational debate is no longer possible.

Its also scary that normally rational people, who have concerns re immigration or how we accept and process refugees feel so under attack that they are flocking to wingnuts like Gemma or Hermann.

I was recently at an event where a well educated, very bright, well liked middle aged man dared to questioned the rational behind placing 115 refugees in a direct provision center in a village like Lisdoonvarna. He isn't from Lisdoonvarna, or the surrounding area, he has no issue with refugees being accepted into the country he merely questioned the appropriateness of placing 115 refugees into a village with a population of 750 without providing any additional resources or support. Yet he was greeted with a stream of abuse, condescension and vitriol by group of 20 \ 30 somethings to the extent that he got up and left.

You have people like Gemma proclaiming Bleach as the cure for autism, 5G is going to kill us all, chemtrails and gaining an audience. Allowed to spout lies, hate and vitriol without consequences..

Its equal parts depressing and scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

knipex wrote: »
    This thread (and for that matter any thread relating to immigration, refugees etc) has rapidly departed from what could be considered rational debate.

There are lies, innuendo and exaggeration in virtually every post on BOTH sides of the argument,.

Any even light call for immigration control results in accusations or racism. Any comment, act or even body language of some people is exaggerated, expanded and condemned irrespective of actual content.

People who questions statistics and quotes are buried under an avalanche of tabloid rants, conspiracy theories or misinterpreted quotes.

Its both sad and scary that a rational debate is no longer possible.

Its also scary that normally rational people, who have concerns re immigration or how we accept and process refugees feel so under attack that they are flocking to wingnuts like Gemma or Hermann.

I was recently at an event where a well educated, very bright, well liked middle aged man dared to questioned the rational behind placing 115 refugees in a direct provision center in a village like Lisdoonvarna. He isn't from Lisdoonvarna, or the surrounding area, he has no issue with refugees being accepted into the country he merely questioned the appropriateness of placing 115 refugees into a village with a population of 750 without providing any additional resources or support. Yet he was greeted with a stream of abuse, condescension and vitriol by group of 20 \ 30 somethings to the extent that he got up and left.

You have people like Gemma proclaiming Bleach as the cure for autism, 5G is going to kill us all, chemtrails and gaining an audience. Allowed to spout lies, hate and vitriol without consequences..

Its equal parts depressing and scary.

That's life now I'm afraid. Nobody has to prove anything anymore. Just post it on social media and it becomes instantly true. We are truly ****ed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,765 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Gerry G wrote: »
    That's life now I'm afraid. Nobody has to prove anything anymore. Just post it on social media and it becomes instantly true. We are truly ****ed

Only if you read social media. Easy to ignore it. Gemma and her pitiful band of followers are not a threat to anyone apart from the bewildered. 2 or 3k watch (parts) of her live streams. All that noise and hatred, years of it now, and not even 30k twitter followers. Pathetic.

To put that into perspective, Dustin the Turkey has 70k followers. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

King Mob wrote: »
    But it is contradicted by the Kelloggs because they don't mention a campaign or a concern about funding terrorism.
    Of course they don't mention it, they don't want any more adverse publicity. Keeping quiet about a mistake is just good business practice. That is not the same as denying it.
    Do you not understand what the word "contradict" means? Its an active denial of something.

That's not what he said though.
    He said there was a campaign, but he pointedly didn't mention a size or if it actually was the reason.
    Eh... I quoted exactly what he said, word for word. Maybe you think Mohamed is lying? I'll quote it again...
    Halal Certification Authority president Mohamed Elmouelhy said a public campaign against halal certification may have made companies think twice.'Yes, of course. There was a campaign,' he told Daily Mail Australia.
    Mr Elmouelhy has declined the reveal the details of his clients or where his halal fees went.
    Therefor it's going to terrorism?:confused:
    You're going to have to clarify this point.
    I'm happy to clarify that I don't know where the money is going (either in Ireland or in Australia)
    Presumably some Islamic cause.

I said that in Australia, Kelloggs stopped paying their Halal money due to public concerns about it, and those concerns included the speculation that some of it was ending up funding terrorism. Those concerns could be totally unfounded for all I know, but the fact remains that Kelloggs responded to consumer concerns. Which is completely unsurprising; after all they are a business.

Similarly I have stopped buying Brennans bread, but I will resume when/if they stop paying money to the Islamic Foundation of Ireland.
    I don't have to know what that foundation is spending the money on.
    I just know they are not getting my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

• Advertisement

I see our Gems has launched a legal action against Science writer David Robert Grimes now. Should be interesting. Still dont know who's bank rolling this crazy lady

• Registered Users Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

recedite wrote: »
    Of course they don't mention it, they don't want any more adverse publicity. Keeping quiet about a mistake is just good business practice. That is not the same as denying it.
    Do you not understand what the word "contradict" means? Its an active denial of something.
    So like saying something along the lines of:
    https://mumbrella.com.au/kelloggs-withdraws-from-halal-certification-for-cereals-produced-in-australia-458722 (your original link, btw)
    In a statement provided to Mumbrella, a Kellogg’s spokesperson said: “As most of our cereals are plant-based, they’re inherently halal, so we chose not to renew our certification in 2016 as part of a regular review of all certifications for our foods.

“This was a commercial decision, not the result of any public pressure or backlash.”

This quote is repeated in your second link.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4702446/Kellogg-s-Sanitarium-shun-halal-certification-fees.html
    Kellogg's, which sells popular plant-based cereals like Corn Flakes and Special K, denied it last year changed its halal policies over public pressure.

'They’re inherently halal, so we chose not to renew our certification in 2016 as part of a regular review of all certifications for our foods,' a spokesman said.

'This was a commercial decision, not the result of any public pressure or backlash.'

So Kelloggs are lying?:confused:
    Eh... I quoted exactly what he said, word for word. Maybe you think Mohamed is lying? I'll quote it again...
    Halal Certification Authority president Mohamed Elmouelhy said a public campaign against halal certification may have made companies think twice.'Yes, of course. There was a campaign,' he told Daily Mail Australia.
    You aren't quoting him though. You said:
    The Halal certifier guy (whose quote I linked to) admitted that the negative consumer feedback had outweighed any commercial advantage Kelloggs was getting in Australia.
    That is not what the quote says.
    Please point to exactly where he said the above.

I'm happy to clarify that I don't know where the money is going (either in Ireland or in Australia)
    Presumably some Islamic cause.

I said that in Australia, Kelloggs stopped paying their Halal money due to public concerns about it, and those concerns included the speculation that some of it was ending up funding terrorism. Those concerns could be totally unfounded for all I know,
    They seem to be entirely unfounded and based off racist ideas.
    Why would Kelloggs respond to the delusional and false claims of racists and demagogues like Pauline Hanson?
    Why can't you or the Daily Mail point to this large scale backlash against a fictional issue?
    but the fact remains that Kelloggs responded to consumer concerns. Which is completely unsurprising; after all they are a business.
    That isn't a fact though. That's supposition.
    No where in the articles you link is there any evidence that this is the reason why they did what they did. It is again directly contradicted by them.
    It also doesn't make sense as the "consumer concerns" seem to be both fictional and not actually from consumers?
    Similarly I have stopped buying Brennans bread, but I will resume when/if they stop paying money to the Islamic Foundation of Ireland.
    And what other products do you do this with?

Why do you think that it's a concern that the funds of halal certification are being used for anything illicit as opposed to the funds of Kosher certification?
    Do you know where the funds of kosher certification are going? If so, please explain.

To me, it looks like you are assuming that they might be used for nefarious because you have a negative view of muslims.

And btw, I don't believe that you are going to stop buying Brennan's products at all. I think that's just a bit of virtue signalling on your part.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Will you also stop buying goods from these companies?

Annotation-2019-07-05-162017.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I see our Gems has launched a legal action against Science writer David Robert Grimes now. Should be interesting. Still dont know who's bank rolling this crazy lady
    Yeah you would wonder who is giving the cash to pay for this legal action ..the firm of solicitors she is using don’t come cheap ( KRW Law) Belfast.

Only if Gemtrails says to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

The Nal wrote: »
    This happened more than two years ago. Yet people are only outraged about it in 2019. :confused:

Who are the sheep here? And why would RTE report on something so insignificant?!

BrennansAnnual-Site-Certificate2017.jpg

Exactly my point. Why would they?

But that doesn't mean some people wouldn't be interested to know.
    Il let you in on a secret: More stuff happens than what rte report on.

Blueshoe wrote: »

Just as well I don't read or watch RTE then.

I just find it amusing that people are outraged by this, something that happened two years ago. Surely if there was something that would make people so angry they would've been aware of it before then?

Just as well I don't read or watch RTE then.

I just find it amusing that people are outraged by this, something that happened two years ago. Surely if there was something that would make people so angry they would've been aware of it before then?
    Well that's cause they were hiding it, obviously.
    It took a crack journalist like Gemma to track down the information that was freely available on several websites that could be found with a simple googling.

They would have gotten away with it too...

Have a look at this evil bread making terrorist.

First reported by ....RTE!

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/953613363489263616

I still don't get the outrage over halal bread. All it means is that its certified veggie - no animal in it - so it can be safely eaten by veggies, sold to restaurants etc.

Some people are just thickos I guess. Can't change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Are Islamic prayers said over the food or is it just relating to the preparation?

Seanachai wrote: »
    Are Islamic prayers said over the food or is it just relating to the preparation?

Gemma implies to her ignorant racist lot that there are hoards of fresh off the boat evil immigrants shouting "death to the infidel" over our good ol' Irish bread.

The reality is that halal bread isn't "blessed" like holy bread or wine. All it means is that the bread doesn't have animal fat in the shortening for example. Other things like lard, alcohol etc aren't allowed either. ie the ingredients adhere to whats allowed in a Muslim (and in a lot of cases Irish vegetarian) diet.

A whole load of nothing basically but Brennans is such an Irish thing that its easy for her to appeal to her pathetic thicko followers using Brennans as the whip.

Easy pickings for her when you're dealing with people who are so stupid and easily manipulated.

Gemma implies to her ignorant racist lot that there are hoards of fresh off the boat evil immigrants shouting "death to the infidel" over our good ol' Irish bread.

The reality is that halal bread isn't "blessed" like holy bread or wine. All it means is that the bread doesn't have animal fat in the shortening for example. Other things like lard, alcohol etc aren't allowed either. ie the ingredients adhere to whats allowed in a Muslim (and in a lot of cases Irish vegetarian) diet.

A whole load of nothing basically but Brennans is such an Irish thing that its easy for her to appeal to her pathetic thicko followers using Brennans as the whip.

Easy pickings for her when you're dealing with people who are so stupid and easily manipulated.

I always feel that the Muzzies would be a much happier bunch of they were just to have a feed of porter and wake up to a bacon sanger the following morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Any news on the case surrounding that absolute dangerous nutjob who threw a concoction at Rowan Croft?
    Digital rags like the journal and rte arent reporting on it, I wonder why.
    Hopefully she will face the full extent of the law

Annotation-2019-07-05-162017.jpg
    That's Avonmore in the bad books now, as well.
    The others I don't tend to buy anyway.

Do you know where the funds of kosher certification are going? If so, please explain.
    To me, it looks like you are assuming that they might be used for nefarious because you have a negative view of muslims.
    I already said I don't know. I doubt they donated it to the gay pride festivities though.

And btw, I don't believe that you are going to stop buying Brennan's products at all. I think that's just a bit of virtue signalling on your part.
    I already did. Currently I'm enjoying Aldi's Ballymore Crust range. Just as good as Brennan's and much cheaper. And best of all; zero % of the purchase price goes to the Islamic Foundation of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

That's Avonmore in the bad books now, as well.
    The others I don't tend to buy anyway.

Best stay far away from kingsmilll products too so.

https://bakeryinfo.co.uk/news/archivestory.php/aid/9567/Kingsmill_gains_halal_certification.html

Red, you are once again ignoring points.
    You claimed your links said things they did not say and denied they said things they did say.

You either deliberately misrepresented them, or you never actually read them beyond the headlines.
    I think it was the former.

Could you at least explain why you did this?
    I already said I don't know. I doubt they donated it to the gay pride festivities though.
    But you don't know about the money being spend on halal certification.
    You avoid one and support the other.
    Again, your hypocrisy is showing.
    I already did. Currently I'm enjoying Aldi's Ballymore Crust range. Just as good as Brennan's and much cheaper. And best of all; zero % of the purchase price goes to the Islamic Foundation of Ireland.
    Again, I have little reason to believe you.

You are gone way way off the point. My statement was along the lines that Gemma reported that Brennan's bread is halal certified and while most people don't care or want to know there are some that do care. And they only found out about it because of her reporting.

That's all. No more no less.

You went off on a bit of a mental tangent and brought a few others with you. Relax

You are gone way way off the point. My statement was along the lines that Gemma reported that Brennan's bread is halal certified and while most people don't care or want to know there are some that do care. And they only found out about it because of her reporting.

That's all. No more no less.

You went off on a bit of a mental tangent and brought a few others with you. Relax
    Again "reporting" by a "journalist" who just googled freely available information.

She most likely did this to wind up the gullible and the racist.

Again "reporting" by a "journalist" who just googled freely available information.

She most likely did this to wind up the gullible and the racist.

Any news story from any media source unless being an exclusive is copied or researched by someone else.

The term "racist" is fast losing any real meaning. You and others are throwing it around multiple times a day.

Guilible would mean they believed something that isn't true. It is true.

Any news story from any media source unless being an exclusive is copied or researched by someone else.
    Ok?
    But Gemma didn't do any journalism here and it's not even news....

Why do people care if the bread is certified as halal?
    Is it cause they are racist and don't like muslim things?
    Guilible would mean they believed something that isn't true. It is true.
    They believe that it's a problem or something worth getting all worked up about.
    That isn't true, hence gullible.

Ok?
    But Gemma didn't do any journalism here and it's not even news....

Why do people care if the bread is certified as halal?
    Is it cause they are racist and don't like muslim things?

No she didn't break an exclusive. She reported some facts that others might be interested in but wouldn't have gotten from news sources.
    What's the problem with that?

I don't know why they care or don't care. They are entitled to decide what food they spend their money on.
    Some people avoid products tested on animals. Others avoid products containing palm oil. It's their choice
    What business is it of yours?

No she didn't break an exclusive. She reported some facts that others might be interested in but wouldn't have gotten from news sources.
    What's the problem with that??
    The problem being is that she did so to stir up racist sentiment for profit and attention.

Doing such a thing is wrong and immoral.

They wouldn't have gotten it from news sources any more than food getting any other kind of certification. It's only a big deal to racist and those who pander to them.
    I don't know why they care or don't care. They are entitled to decide what food they spend their money on.
    What business is it of yours?
    Sure, they are free to do so. Never said otherwise.
    Am I not free to point out that their reasons for doing so might be stupid, racist and hypocritical?

The problem being is that she did so to stir up racist sentiment for profit and attention.

Doing such a thing is wrong and immoral.

They wouldn't have gotten it from news sources any more than food getting any other kind of certification. It's only a big deal to racist and those who pander to them.

Sure, they are free to do so. Never said otherwise.
    Am I not free to point out that their reasons for doing so might be stupid, racist and hypocritical?

What's the problem with people knowing that their food is halal certified?

What if staunch Catholics don't want to eat halal certified food?
    That's only one example. People are entitled to know about the products they are spending their money on.
    Who are you to call them a racist?

You really love throwing that word about don't you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I always feel that the Muzzies would be a much happier bunch of they were just to have a feed of porter and wake up to a bacon sanger the following morning.

Welcome to boards Gerry

Advertisement