Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma O'Doherty and her unicorns

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Blueshoe wrote: »
    What's the problem with people knowing that their food is halal certified?

What if staunch Catholics don't want to eat halal certified food?
    That's only one example. People are entitled to know about the products they are spending their money on.
    Who are you to call them a racist?

You really love throwing that word about don't you

Because apart from meat hallal certified doesn't mean anything at all so "staunch" racists would be getting offended by nothing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Because apart from meat hallal certified doesn't mean anything at all so "staunch" racists would be getting offended by nothing

Means nothing to you but your views are not the same as everyone else's. Are you calling Catholics racist or what's your point?

Who are you to decide how others should feel or what they want?

Could I sell a product to Muslims and not tell them there is pork in it? We eat pork here all the time sure what difference does it make to them?

Another one of you shouting racist because some people may want to know how their food is produced.

Is that all you can say? Are you all stuck on repeat?

How about mind your own business. You buy the bread if you want. Let others do the same or different if they choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

recedite wrote: »
    That's Avonmore in the bad books now, as well.
    The others I don't tend to buy anyway.

no glanbia prodcts? you probably are and dont even know it

Another one of you shouting racist because some people may want to know how their food is produced.

How about mind your own business. You buy the bread if you want. Let others do the same or different if they choose.
    Some products just happen to be hallal by their nature, if a company advertises the fact to gain some Muslim customers it's still3the same product

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Means nothing to you but your views are not the same as everyone else's. Are you calling Catholics racist or what's your point?

Who are you to decide how others should feel or what they want?

Could I sell a product to Muslims and not tell them there is pork in it? We eat pork here all the time sure what difference does it make to them?

it makes no difference to them if you eat pork. why would it?

Just to be clear I only used the word racist there for the craic...now you were saying?

Some products just happen to be hallal by their nature, if a company advertises the fact to gain some Muslim customers it's still3the same product

If that's the case then there is definitely no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

What's the problem with people knowing that their food is halal certified?

What if staunch Catholics don't want to eat halal certified food?
    That's only one example. People are entitled to know about the products they are spending their money on.
    Why would that bother them?
    Nothing in Catholicism requires that eating halal or halal certified food is a bad thing.
    That's simply not a rule and would be due to the catholic person's own ideas and prejudices.
    Who are you to call them a racist?

You really love throwing that word about don't you
    Again, why can't I call things what they are?
    Do you not like that word? Is it offensive to you? Would you prefer I use a different, more acceptable word?

You are awfully touchy about that word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

King Mob wrote: »

Again, why can't I call things what they are?
    Do you not like that word? Is it offensive to you? Would you prefer I use a different, more acceptable word?

You are awfully touchy about that word.

What you perceive it to be is really what you should be saying!

• Advertisement

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    What you perceive it to be is really what you should be saying!
    Not really getting much in the way of good reasons to perceive as anything else.

So far, all the reasons presented to oppose halal certified food have proven to be not true or entirely hypocritical and inconsistent.

The only reason that seems to make sense is racist.

Not liking being called racist isn't much of an argument against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

You'd want to have found that out before glorying in the depths of your own ill-informedness on a public forum, in fairness.

Irish law provided for a number of stunning methods in the slaughter of cattle, and a couple of methods of exsanguination. None are specific to halal slaughter, nor provided for reason of allowing that. What's your theory here, exactly, that every piece of beef be labelled with all aspects of the slaughtering process? Cue the ICSA popping a vein about pettyfogging bureaucrats putting folk off their dinners with Too Much Information about their nice bit of shteak.

Or maybe a simplified labelling system would suffice? "WARNING: INSIDIOUS DUSKY MIDDLE-EASTERN AND SOUTH ASIAN TYPES INVOLVED IN THIS PRODUCT!" and "normal", say?

The only reason that seems to make sense is racist.

Not liking being called racist isn't much of an argument against it.

I don't think they think their reasons have to make any sense. "Simon says I'm not racist." "That allegation hasn't been proved (at least to my own satisfaction."

I guess there's a natural tendency to regard oneself as a portable Golden Mean. Those people are obvious racists. But those are Political Correctness Gone Made type.

There was quite the flurry of "racism" memes going around from Trumpy types. And yes, they were against it! Right after defining pretty much "just the KKK" on the one hand, and a wide range of expressly anti-racist organisations on the other. As if they were in any sense whatsoever remotely equivalent. But apparently they thought so. Or thought it was a viable talking point to say they thought so, at least.

Gerry G wrote: »
    I always feel that the Muzzies would be a much happier bunch of they were just to have a feed of porter and wake up to a bacon sanger the following morning.

They'd probably be a rather more materially "happier bunch" if randomers on the internet weren't talking prejudicial crap about them on the internet on a routine basis.

Il let you in on a secret: More stuff happens than what rte report on.

I'll let out in on something that's even more bleedin' obvious, and more important besides: Less stuff happens than the sum total of the conspiracy theories of people seeking to stir it for their own petty and tawdry ends.

People are entitled to know how their food is produced. They are entitled to know all information enabling them to decide if they want to purchase it or not.

Is it halal? GMO ? A palm tree product? Vegan ? Kosher? Gluten-free? Etc

Some are for medical reasons some are religious and some are personal.

It's not for anyone else to decide.

So again mind your own business about why some might choose one product instead of another.
    Half of your problems are because you all spend too much time sticking your oar into other people's choices.

There is a whole group of you busy bodies on here trying to fill a hole in your lives. Stay in your lane

Throwing out the racist tag at everything you don't agree with yet I guarantee if any of you saw real racism in real life you would look away and not speak up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,765 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

People are entitled to know how their food is produced. They are entitled to know all information enabling them to decide if they want to purchase it or not.

Well do some research then. It's all freely available information.

I've no idea what this has to do with that racist piece of trash.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

It's not for anyone else to decide.

So again mind your own business about why some might choose one product instead of another.
    Half of your problems are because you all spend too much time sticking your oar into other people's choices.

There is a whole group of you busy bodies on here trying to fill a hole in your lives. Stay in your lane

Throwing out the racist tag at everything you don't agree with yet I guarantee if any of you saw real racism in real life you would look away and not speak up.

And all of this information is readily available.

Again, you are misrepresenting arguments to act superior.
    Most breads are inherently halal.
    The are halal whether or not they have certification.
    Brennan's bread was most likely always halal.

The issue being discussed is halal certification.
    We're trying to find out what reason someone might have to avoid halal certified products.
    We've discovered that it's not an animal welfare issue, as that's not relevant and the same moaners aren't avoiding kosher products.
    We also know that it's not due to the money being used for illicit purposes as there's no evidence at all for such illict purposes and the same moaners enjoy kosher products despite not knowing where that money goes.

So what's left.
    Why are people opposed to halal certification to the point they'll avoid a product?
    So far, the most likely reason we can see is that they don't like muslim stuff because it's muslim.
    This is evidenced by people using terms like "dirty" and "barbaric" to refer to halal food.
    Do you have an alternative explanation?
    The moaners don't seem to have one.

Again, why are you opposed to people pointing out this?
    Why are you so triggered by the term racism?

The Nal wrote: »
    Well do some research then. It's all freely available information.

I've no idea what this has to do with that racist piece of trash.

Do some research online.

Would you say that to people who look at labels to see if their product is vegan? Or contains nuts ? Or is sourced from sustainable developments?

Go look online. Yeah only for some .

There is that word again. Your safe word.

• Advertisement

Again, you are misrepresenting arguments to act superior.
    Most breads are inherently halal.
    The are halal whether or not they have certification.
    Brennan's bread was most likely always halal.

The issue being discussed is halal certification.
    We're trying to find out what reason someone might have to avoid halal certified products.
    We've discovered that it's not an animal welfare issue, as that's not relevant and the same moaners aren't avoiding kosher products.
    We also know that it's not due to the money being used for illicit purposes as there's no evidence at all for such illict purposes and the same moaners enjoy kosher products despite not knowing where that money goes.

So what's left.
    Why are people opposed to halal certification to the point they'll avoid a product?
    So far, the most likely reason we can see is that they don't like muslim stuff because it's muslim.
    This is evidenced by people using terms like "dirty" and "barbaric" to refer to halal food.
    Do you have an alternative explanation?
    The moaners don't seem to have one.

Again, why are you opposed to people pointing out this?
    Why are you so triggered by the term racism?

No not we. You have decided.
    And you want everyone else to follow or else they are a racist.

Seems like you are against free choice and speech as anyone who disagrees with you or your pals is called a racist.

Mind your own business.

No not we. You have decided.
    And you want everyone else to follow or else they are a racist.

Seems like you are against free choice and speech as anyone who disagrees with you or your pals is called a racist.

Mind your own business.

But you see, you're not actually reading or addressing my posts. You are making a straw man argument and trying to reduce my position to something silly.

My position is that the moaners have been offered the chance to explain their objections and show how they are based on something other than racism.#
    They have failed to do so.

No one here has said someone can't boycott anything. They can if they like.
    We however can point out that their reasons for doing so are silly and racist.

You are saying that we are not allowed to point this out.

And again: calling something from a different culture "dirty" or "barbaric" is racist. You can disagree if you like, but "no it isn't" or "islam isn't a race" isn't an argument.

But you see, you're not actually reading or addressing my posts. You are making a straw man argument and trying to reduce my position to something silly.

My position is that the moaners have been offered the chance to explain their objections and show how they are based on something other than racism.#
    They have failed to do so.

No one here has said someone can't boycott anything. They can if they like.
    We however can point out that their reasons for doing so are silly and racist.

You are saying that we are not allowed to point this out.

And again: calling something from a different culture "dirty" or "barbaric" is racist. You can disagree if you like, but "no it isn't" or "islam isn't a race" isn't an argument.

So if someone chooses not to buy a halal certified product just because it is Halal they are a racist?

That's the basics of your point

So if someone chooses not to buy a halal certified product just because it is Halal they are a racist?

That's the basics of your point
    No, that's a strawman of my argument that you are making after ignoring all of my post.
    You are very desperate to pretend than anyone using the term racist must be over reacting.

To answer the question directly:
    It depends, do they have a reason for avoiding halal certified bread that isn't racist?
    If so, what is it?

So far, no one has provided a consistent reason that isn't hypocritical, irrelevant or racist in a different way.

So if this person you are refering to has a good reason, then no, he might not be racist.
    I would have to hear the reason first.

Again, why are you trying to prevent people from pointing out racism?
    Why does that bother you?

No, that's a strawman of my argument that you are making after ignoring all of my post.
    You are very desperate to pretend than anyone using the term racist must be over reacting.

To answer the question directly:
    It depends, do they have a reason for avoiding halal certified bread that isn't racist?
    If so, what is it?

So far, no one has provided a consistent reason that isn't hypocritical, irrelevant or racist in a different way.

So if this person you are refering to has a good reason, then no, he might not be racist.
    I would have to hear the reason first.

Again, why are you trying to prevent people from pointing out racism?
    Why does that bother you?

You are missing the fact that it's none of your business. You seem to have it in your head that people need to justify their choices to you. They don't.

Who are you?

Why am I trying to prevent people from pointing out racism?
    I'm not . I'm trying to point out that people don't need to justify anything to you. You are automatically calling people racist unless they run it by your beliefs first.

Again who do you think you are?

People are free to buy whatever they want or not. You are not free to go around labelling anyone and everyone a racist

You are missing the fact
    lol, you've again ignored the content of my post including where I directly and clearly addressed your question.
    Go back and try again.
    People are free to buy whatever they want or not. You are not free to go around labelling anyone and everyone a racist
    But that's not what I was doing though, once again you are being dishonest and misrepresenting my position.

Know what would solve this right quick:
    Provide a reason, any reason to avoid halal certified bread that isn't stupid or racist.

Not sure why that would be so hard if there is legit reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

I think King Mob, Blue shoe and recedite have way too much time on their hands

lol, you've again ignored the content of my post including where I directly and clearly addressed your question.
    Go back and try again.

But that's not what I was doing though, once again you are being dishonest and misrepresenting my position.

Know what would solve this right quick:
    Provide a reason, any reason to avoid halal certified bread that isn't stupid or racist.

Not sure why that would be so hard if there is legit reasons.

Ok here is my reason: because I don't choose to.

Gerry G wrote: »
    I think King Mob, Blue shoe and recedite have way too much time on their hands

Breaks up my motorway drive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,765 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ok here is my reason: because I don't choose to.

lol

Why not though? Halal certified bread is very healthy.

Tap water is halal certified by the way.

So are potatoes.

Advertisement