Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma O'Doherty and her unicorns

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Why would you call someone a racist for not buying bread?
    But that's not my position. That's a very childish misrepresentation you've slapped together in place of any actual arguments.

You've already agreed that racism is a reason for why at least some people would avoid halal certified bread.
    Not sure why you're asking me this question when you know and agree with the answer.:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

King Mob wrote: »
    But that's not my position. That's a very childish misrepresentation you've slapped together in place of any actual arguments.

You've already agreed that racism is a reason for why at least some people would avoid halal certified bread.
    Not sure why you're asking me this question when you know and agree with the answer.:confused:

One of many possible reasons.
    Would you like to see halal certification symbols on food products?

One of many possible reasons.
    You've given 3. One of which was "randomly decides to do it out of the blue".
    The other of which was not a valid reason as neither Judism or Catholism have any rules against halal certified bread. It was also not relevant as none of the moany types here who said they were going to avoid Brennans subscribe to either Judism or Catholism.
    You had ignored these points previous. However, this has not made them go away.

The 3rd option was that it was due to racism. You are now whinging at me for making that same suggestion for some reason.

You have not presented any other of these "many possible reasons".
    I think this is because they don't exist.
    Would you like to see halal certification symbols on food products?
    But I've already answer this question directly and clearly several posts ago: "I don't care."
    Why are you asking it again?:confused:

You seem to be going around in circles a bit hoping to stumble onto a graceful exit where you can stomp out of the thread in a huff.
    Might be best to just do that now and save the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Jesus, these lads are still going at it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

The Nal wrote: »
    Gemma implies to her ignorant racist lot that there are hoards of fresh off the boat evil immigrants shouting "death to the infidel" over our good ol' Irish bread.

The reality is that halal bread isn't "blessed" like holy bread or wine. All it means is that the bread doesn't have animal fat in the shortening for example. Other things like lard, alcohol etc aren't allowed either. ie the ingredients adhere to whats allowed in a Muslim (and in a lot of cases Irish vegetarian) diet.

A whole load of nothing basically but Brennans is such an Irish thing that its easy for her to appeal to her pathetic thicko followers using Brennans as the whip.

Easy pickings for her when you're dealing with people who are so stupid and easily manipulated.

That's fair enough, I don't like the thought of any prayers from any faith being said over my food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Seanachai wrote: »
    That's fair enough, I don't like the thought of any prayers from any faith being said over my food.

Nothing worse than a haunted toastie.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

One wonders how many have this attitude yet take communion in church?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Why would you wonder?
    It seems obvious they would be unlikely to attend either a church or a mosque.

recedite wrote: »
    Why would you wonder?
    It seems obvious they would be unlikely to attend either a church or a mosque.

Not really, plenty of fairweather "Catholics" in Ireland only too happy to nod at the alter and take communion so as not to offend the mammy or the granny.

Also blueshoe stated
    Catholic people might avoid it because they are a different religion

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

I hope everyone in South Dublin are still safe.

https://twitter.com/gemmaod1/status/1147900262432083968

• Advertisement

I haven't set foot inside a church in years, I can understand somebody with Christian, Hindu or another faith not wanting Muslim prayers said over their food though.

I haven't set foot inside a church in years, I can understand somebody with Christian, Hindu or another faith not wanting Muslim prayers said over their food.

Why though? They are just words, they are not magical, they don't make anything taste different. I honestly think it's a very childish reason to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭circadian

Maybe I picked this up wrong, but are you suggesting there's an Imam at the exit to the factory blessing all the bread?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,765 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

circadian wrote: »
    Maybe I picked this up wrong, but are you suggesting there's an Imam at the exit to the factory blessing all the bread?!?

Yes a lot of people believe that.

She and her ilk have purposely targeted thick people - people who believe in chemtrails and nonsense conspiracy theories, who spend too much time on social media - to further their own career in politics, in the media and most importantly to make money.

It works in fairness. Shes more famous and richer now since shes monetised a few thousand stupid people. Easy targets. Its shameless stuff, taking advantage of the bewildered, but some people are shameless.

I honestly don't know enough about it, I'd like to though, I think I'll email the Irish Islamic council. I know that there were Rabbis working in the meat factory near where I grew up. It's not inconceivable that they would be saying prayers over the bread mix at least.

Why though? They are just words, they are not magical, they don't make anything taste different. I honestly think it's a very childish reason to use.

That's your opinion, neither of us can prove it either way. My position and experience is that prayer and ritual do have metaphysical power, I can't prove this to you. If there was a mage doing Solomonic rites over food, even people with no spiritual beliefs would probably be a bit uncomfortable.

That's your opinion, neither of us can prove it either way. My position and experience is that prayer and ritual do have metaphysical power, I can't prove this to you. If there was a mage doing Solomonic rites over food, even people with no spiritual beliefs would probably be a bit uncomfortable.
    But magic isn't real though...

Either way, no prayer is being used on halal certified bread, so you are safe from the evil magic.

This has gotten very silly indeed.

I haven't set foot inside a church in years, I can understand somebody with Christian, Hindu or another faith not wanting Muslim prayers said over their food though.
    Islamic prayers are in integral part of the Halal slaughtering process.
    Paying money over to the Islamic Foundation of Ireland is an integral part of marketing Halal certified bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Islamic prayers are in integral part of Halal slaughtering.
    Paying money over to the Islamic Foundation of Ireland is an integral part of marketing Halal certified bread.

are they an integral part of the making of halal bread? at what point in the bread making process are the prayers said?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

are they an integral part of the making of halal bread? at what point in the bread making process are the prayers said?

They get Aul Mr Brennan to say the prayers.

189789150_640.jpg

• Advertisement

King Mob wrote: »
    But magic isn't real though...

Either way, no prayer is being used on halal certified bread, so you are safe from the evil magic.

This has gotten very silly indeed.

I'm not going to try and convince you of something you have no experience of, except to say that anybody that truly adheres to the scientific method would have an agnostic position on the subject. It isn't 'settled-science' as they say.

I'm not going to try and convince you of something you have no experience of, except to say that anybody that truly adheres to the scientific method would have an agnostic position on the subject. It isn't 'settled-science' as they say.

anybody that adhered to the scientific method would ask for evidence of your claims and dismiss them when you cant provide it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Why are we entertaining them doing it then? Why not tell them to take their fairy tales elsewhere.

Because some people want to bend over backwards to accommodate them. Sad

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

Why are we entertaining them doing it then? Why not tell them to take their fairy tales elsewhere.

Because some people want to bend over backwards to accommodate them. Sad

"bend over backwards" = Putting a small little symbol on a piece of food packaging to try increase sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,772 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What a fantastic form of protest if someone goes ahead with that.

Obviously not, but you go ahead and create the strawman anyway. Then you can have some fun over the next few pages laughing at all the non-existent "stupid" people your strawman represents. Its what you have been doing throughout this thread. A blatantly dishonest form of debate.

Obviously not,
    Why bring up halal slaughter then?
    The topic is and has been halal certified bread which does not have prayers said over it.
    So that isn't a concern.
    A blatantly dishonest form of debate.
    Speaking of...
    Going to go back and address that bit where you claimed articles and people said stuff they didn't?
    Bit dishonest to do that, then promptly ignore when people point out that you did that.

Ok, but magic doesn't exist. It's fictional.

Halal bread is not cursed by Islamic magic.

Obviously not, but you go ahead and create the strawman anyway. Then you can have some fun over the next few pages laughing at all the non-existent "stupid" people your strawman represents. Its what you have been doing throughout this thread. A blatantly dishonest form of debate.

Pot meet kettle.

• Advertisement

"bend over backwards" = Putting a small little symbol on a piece of food packaging to try increase sales.
    Some people get triggered by the smallest things...

Advertisement