Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma O'Doherty and her unicorns

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Seanachai wrote:
    That's fair enough, I don't like the thought of any prayers from any faith being said over my food.
    How do you know that none of the young ones working in Lidl or Tesco arent saying the Our Father over your mince or sausages.

Nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

King Mob wrote: »
    Speaking of...
    Going to go back and address that bit where you claimed articles and people said stuff they didn't?
    Bit dishonest to do that, then promptly ignore when people point out that you did that.
    What's your point here?
    Are you trying to say there was no campaign against Kelloggs paying for Halal certification in Australia? (even though the Muslim guy there said there was)

Or are you trying to say that public tastes and pressure have no effect on the commercial decisions of a company like Kelloggs?
    Because that is simply nonsense. And I realise you have focused in on this one quote from a company spokesperson...
    “This was a commercial decision, not the result of any public pressure or backlash.”
    But that is marketing speak. They would say that, wouldn't they.
    Come on now, I don't think you are so thick as to believe every single thing a marketing executive says.

A commercial decision in such a situation comes down to the basic equation; "if we do X, will it increase our sales, or will it decrease our sales".
    Halal certification, or no Halal certification. That is the question. Maybe it seemed like a good idea at first.
    Its a commercial decision for Brennans, just like it was for Kelloggs. The decision is based on the perceived market demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Seanachai wrote: »
    I haven't set foot inside a church in years, I can understand somebody with Christian, Hindu or another faith not wanting Muslim prayers said over their food though.
    That's fair enough, I don't like the thought of any prayers from any faith being said over my food.
    How would the prayers affect you or your food?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

recedite wrote: »
    Or are you trying to say that public tastes and pressure have no effect on the commercial decisions of a company like Kelloggs?
    Because that is simply nonsense. And I realise you have focused in on this one quote from a company spokesperson...
    First things first,
    You said that Kelloggs did not deny that public pressure played a role.
    Could you please explain why you claimed this in spite of what the article said?
    Did you not realise that the article said this?

Could you also now confirm that when Kellogg said:
    “This was a commercial decision, not the result of any public pressure or backlash.”
    They are in fact lying?

Could you also address why you claimed to be quoting "the muslim" guy when nothing like what you said he said appears in either of the articles you posted.

You are asking a lot of questions before addressing the points you have dodged.
    It's very very dishonest of you, and makes you a bit of a hypocrite to be whinging about honesty.

First things first,
    You said that Kelloggs did not deny that public pressure played a role.
    Could you please explain why you claimed this in spite of what the article said?
    Did you not realise that the article said this?

Could you also now confirm that when Kellogg said:
    They are in fact lying?
    You can call it lying.

I called it marketing speak.
    I believe marketing executives like to call it "bluff and bluster" or use terms like "damage limitation measures".
    Could you also address why you claimed to be quoting "the muslim" guy when nothing like what you said he said appears in either of the articles you posted. It's very very dishonest of you, and makes you a bit of a hypocrite to be whinging about honesty.
    Here's the post where I made that claim, and linked to the relevant article.
    Anyone can read that post, check the link, and see whether I quoted from the link accurately.
    It then becomes obvious which of us is being dishonest here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

Similarly I have stopped buying Brennans bread, but I will resume when/if they stop paying money to the Islamic Foundation of Ireland.
    *I don't have to know what that foundation is spending the money on.*
    I just know they are not getting my money.

Have you made any effort to find out?

Its a registered charity with the Charities regulator, meaning it is subject to regular audit.

https://www.charitiesregulator.ie/en/information-for-the-public/search-the-charities-register/charity-detail?srchstr=Islamic%20Foundation%20of%20Ireland&regid=20012809

It's Activities are listed as
    • Promotion of community
    • Promotion of support to charities sector
    • Religious activities

Beneficiaries
    • Adult training
    • Asylum seekers/refugees
    • Community services
    • Ethnic minorities
    • Ex-offenders and prisoners
    • Family services
    • Health promotion
    • Homeless services
    • Humanitarian relief services
    • Integration of those who are disadvantaged into society
    • Mental health support
    • Overseas aid
    • Volunteers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Have you made any effort to find out?

Its a registered charity with the Charities regulator, meaning it is subject to regular audit.

https://www.charitiesregulator.ie/en/information-for-the-public/search-the-charities-register/charity-detail?srchstr=Islamic%20Foundation%20of%20Ireland&regid=20012809

It's Activities are listed as
    • Promotion of community
    • Promotion of support to charities sector
    • Religious activities

Beneficiaries
    • Adult training
    • Asylum seekers/refugees
    • Community services
    • Ethnic minorities
    • Ex-offenders and prisoners
    • Family services
    • Health promotion
    • Homeless services
    • Humanitarian relief services
    • Integration of those who are disadvantaged into society
    • Mental health support
    • Overseas aid
    • Volunteers

Promotion of the spread of Islam in Ireland. No thanks.

It's not in my interests. Il spend my money elsewhere.

"bend over backwards" = Putting a small little symbol on a piece of food packaging to try increase sales.

The symbol is an indication that the method of butchering the animal was changed to suit Islamic culture and beliefs

No thanks. Manufacturers won't roll out placing the symbol on their products as they know sales will decrease.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,765 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Blueshoe wrote: »

No thanks. Manufacturers won't roll out placing the symbol on their products as they know sales will decrease.

Quite literally the exact opposite

Makeup, meds and sports wear: Why halal has become big business

Halal, a growing regulated market and a great business opportunity

Food and drink manufacturers ‘have no plans’ to ditch halal certification

Etc etc.

2.2 million Muslims in the world in 30 years. Anyone not concerned with Halal certification is a moron.

Are you concerned about Halal certification?

The Nal wrote: »

The guardian? Pull the other one
    The link above it tells us how many Muslims there are and will be and halal is great business for them. That's obvious isn't it. Unless you are accepting that everywhere will eventually have huge Muslim populations which would make Halal the obvious choice.

• Advertisement

The link above it tells us how many Muslims there are and will be and halal is great business for them. That's obvious isn't it. Unless you are accepting that everywhere will eventually have huge Muslim populations which would make Halal the obvious choice.

Well it wasn't ten minutes ago when you posted "Manufacturers won't roll out placing the symbol on their products as they know sales will decrease" despite the actual facts, the evidence, the proof, showing the exact opposite.

Well it wasn't ten minutes ago when you posted "Manufacturers won't roll out placing the symbol on their products as they know sales will decrease" despite the actual facts, the evidence, the proof, showing the exact opposite.

Very small Muslim population in Ireland. At least you are finally accepting that this will eventually change and the percentage will rise drastically. In this case Halal certification makes sense

The symbol is an indication that the method of butchering the animal was changed to suit Islamic culture and beliefs

How many animals do you think were killed to make your batch loaf ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm not going to try and convince you of something you have no experience of, except to say that anybody that truly adheres to the scientific method would have an agnostic position on the subject. It isn't 'settled-science' as they say.

Surely if magic words worked, proof would be as simple as DNA testing the Eucharist wafer post communion?

Waffle about agnosticism when discussing the effect words may have on the imbibing of bread be it Catholic or Halal...
    Is wanton nonsense.

Its also about the growing export market.

As a small open economy, we are very reliant on exports, and alternatives to the UK to diversify customer bases to prevent Brexit shock are actively being saught in many industries.

How many animals do you think were killed to make your batch loaf ?!

Its also about the growing export market.

As a small open economy, we are very reliant on exports, and alternatives to the UK to diversify customer bases to prevent Brexit shock are actively being saught in many industries.

Let's talk about Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Who knew the conspiracy theories provided so much comedy.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭circadian

Who knew the conspiracy theories provided so much comedy.

I can't tell what's for real and what's satire any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Why are we entertaining them doing it then? Why not tell them to take their fairy tales elsewhere.

Because some people want to bend over backwards to accommodate them. Sad

The same reason we entertain catholics when the want to hold candle lit vigils in public places (outside the dail, GPO, etc). Should they be told to take their fairytales elsewhere as well?

Or should we let them because "some people want to bend over backwards to accommodate them"?

• Advertisement

The same reason we entertain catholics when the want to hold candle lit vigils in public places (outside the dail, GPO, etc). Should they be told to take their fairytales elsewhere as well?

Or should we let them because "some people want to bend over backwards to accommodate them"?

Massive percentage of the population are Catholic. At least on paper anyway. Especially the older generation

It's not like for like.

You don't have to attend if not Catholic. You have a choice
    Having my food prepared according to Islamic beliefs is not a choice I would make.

Do I have a choice?

Shouldn't be eating Brennans bread anyway. Or any processed food.

Quite literally the exact opposite

Makeup, meds and sports wear: Why halal has become big business

Halal, a growing regulated market and a great business opportunity

Food and drink manufacturers ‘have no plans’ to ditch halal certification

Etc etc.

2.2 million Muslims in the world in 30 years. Anyone not concerned with Halal certification is a moron.

Are you concerned about Halal certification?
    Anyone not concerned about Islamic takeover in western society is a moron.

Lets see Brennan's openly put the Halal symbol on their bread then.
    Let the market decide. All we want to see here is a bit of honesty.

Lets see Brennan's openly put the Halal symbol on their bread then.
    Let the market decide. All we want to see here is a bit of honesty.

Exactly. That's all we ask. Transparency.

If manufacturers want to go this route then so be it. But if they hide it then something is very wrong .

Other people feel we shouldn't have a choice. Sad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭circadian

Anyone not concerned about Islamic takeover in western society is a moron.

Anyone convinced of an Islamic takeover of western society is a moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Anyone concerned about Islamic takeover in western society is a moron.

Fixed that for you;)

Fixed that for you;)

You never answered my question. You ignored it.

circadian wrote: »
    Anyone convinced of an Islamic takeover of western society is a moron.

lol

Yeah huge amounts running for political office isn't there? Huge amount running large corporations.

Theres been a slight increase in Muslims running for political office based on the fact that they're hated so much and they want a voice.

Im no fan of religion but the anti Muslim thing is the easiest way to get thickos to follow you. Trump, Hopkins, Gemtrails etc. Line 1 in the playbook.

Its so easy to sell an ideology to morons and to profit from it.

Gemma is tears laughing at her followers as her bank balance increases. Must be saying "how are people so stupid, this is so easy".

She even provides you with the link so you don't have to type "youtube" yourself. The thickos need to be spoon fed.

Like, well, like sheep.

• Advertisement

lol

Yeah huge amounts running for political office isn't there? Huge amount running large corporations.

Theres been a slight increase in Muslims running for political office based on the fact that they're hated so much and they want a voice.

Im no fan of religion but the anti Muslim thing is the easiest way to get thickos to follow you. Trump, Hopkins, Gemtrails etc. Line 1 in the playbook.

Its so easy to sell an ideology to morons and to profit from it.

Gemma is tears laughing at her followers as her bank balance increases. Must be saying "how are people so stupid, this is so easy".

She even provides you with the link so you don't have to type "youtube" yourself. The thickos need to be spoon fed.

Like, well, like sheep.

You are worried. You look at the policies of the president of the United States. Arguably the most powerful position on the planet. You are looking at the level of support of the Brexit party and their landslide European election victory. You see the like of Salvini in Italy. The Alternative for Germany party who despite only being formed 6 years ago are now the largest opposition party. Vox in Spain, Le Pen in France, the Sweden Democrats party, The Fins Party of Finland who only lost out by .2 % in the most recent national elections.

Other notable inclusions:

Immigration rules in Denmark are among Europe's toughest, reflecting the power of the right-wing Danish People's Party, which is the second largest party in parliament. Denmark allows its police to seize migrants' property to pay for their upkeep and has pledged to boost contraception aid to developing countries to "limit the migration pressure"

In the build-up to the 2017 election in the Netherlands , the anti-immigration Freedom Party of Geert Wilders had been tipped to win, but in the end came a distant second despite increasing their number of seats. Provincial elections in 2019, however, saw newcomer Forum for Democracy (FvD), led by Thierry Baudet, win the most seats - more than double the Freedom Party.

The Czech Republic's prime minister, Andrej Babis, says recent elections in Slovenia and Italy show the stance of the Czech Republic, Poland, Hungary and Slovakia on immigration is spreading

You are worried

Advertisement