Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Toilets

Options
  • 20-05-2019 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,525 ✭✭✭

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/public-toilets-in-pipeline-for-city-centre-after-20-year-absence-1.3703437

I can't see a thread on this anywhere so thought I'd start one.
    The City Council got out of the public toilet game when heroine and prositituion became problematic.

I was in Vienna a few years ago and they have these underground public toilets, I have to say they're nearly a tourist attraction in themselves. Gorgeous tile work, gold taps, a guy in a top hat and suit handing you a towel. Real Early 20th century opulent style.

Anyway it seems there is now a budget for new ones (a shame the underground ones are gone, filled in with concrete I think.

So what do we think, yay or nay? I think they could be great but they'd have to be staffed and have a charge to use them, not just an Irish, sure it'll be grand, job.

EDIT: Typo in the headline, I'm aware of it, can't change it though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I think they should charge for them bit there should be toilets. Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,525 ✭✭✭cgcsb

sugarman wrote: »
    No need for them, theres always a shopping centre, pub or restaurant within a few meters. Never had a problem finding one.

If new public toilets were installed id still use the above as they'd generally still be a closer distance and kept cleaner as cleaners are required to pop in every hour throughout the day. Not to mention, staff are usually on top of letting junkies through the door, nevermind their toilets.

But of course, older people, women after having a baby etc, often complain about the lack of facilities. And like a said, if they were like they are in Vienna, they can be an experience in themselves, charge a € in even.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Even when you go up north you find toilets in public places. Our lack of facilities in the citys and the country are an absolute shambles. Everyone needs to use toilets yet we have none? And then pubs say "for customers only"? Its long been a bugbear of mine but public toilets are badly needed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭JDMC2

I was in Kilkenny a few weekends back and they have public toilets on the parade. Really clean. Cost a few pence....can’t remember exact amount

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

JDMC2 wrote: »
    I was in Kilkenny a few weekends back and they have public toilets on the parade. Really clean. Cost a few pence....can’t remember exact amount

Hen/Stag party capitol of Ireland (was anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Bad idea if they ever opened again, would be ruined by the junkies and scum that currently roam the streets (the boardwalk and Rosie Hackett Bridge for example). I doubt the Garda would be interested in policing these public toilets either, given that you barely see any on the mentioned locations.

Sad that we can't have these public facilities for those in need to use.

Of course there should be public toilets, also there should be water fountains.
    The argument we hear all the time is that our junkies & scumbags will ruin them. Well, there are junkies & scumbags in all European cities, but they can have these things, we are not special!
    In particular, the Phoenix park definitely need these facilities. I wouldn't mind paying for decent facilities, I doubt anyone else would.

w/s/p/c/ wrote: »
    Bad idea if they ever opened again, would be ruined by the junkies and scum that currently roam the streets (the boardwalk and Rosie Hackett Bridge for example). I doubt the Garda would be interested in policing these public toilets either, given that you barely see any on the mentioned locations.

Sad that we can't have these public facilities for those in need to use.

Like I said, properly staffed and maintained.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

cgcsb wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/public-toilets-in-pipeline-for-city-centre-after-20-year-absence-1.3703437

I can't see a thread on this anywhere so thought I'd start one.
    The City Council got out of the public toilet game when heroine and prositituion became problematic.

I was in Vienna a few years ago and they have these underground public toilets, I have to say they're nearly a tourist attraction in themselves. Gorgeous tile work, gold taps, a guy in a top hat and suit handing you a towel. Real Early 20th century opulent style.

Anyway it seems there is now a budget for new ones (a shame the underground ones are gone, filled in with concrete I think.

So what do we think, yay or nay? I think they could be great but they'd have to be staffed and have a charge to use them, not just an Irish, sure it'll be grand, job.

EDIT: Typo in the headline, I'm aware of it, can't change it though.

"Heroine" is a typo too i presume?

You must be fun at parties.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

cgcsb wrote: »
    You must be fun at parties.

Says the person who starts a thread about public toilets :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Yes we need toilets. Everyone needs to use toilets. Private businesses shouldn't have to provide them. And they don't. Some do as a courtesy if you ask nicely but who likes asking to use a toilet like a child.
    We seriously need to sort this issue out.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

Have these sort of public jacks in the Netherlands/Belgium. Urinals so not much use for the ladies but handy for the lads.

566812.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Have these sort of public jacks in the Netherlands/Belgium. Urinals so not much use for the ladies but handy for the lads.

I wonder if that one just drains into the canal behind it or if it's connected to the sewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

It's fairly common in Europe to have public toilets. Normally they are ran and maintained by someone who is there all the time and a fee is charged to use them. Creates jobs and provides a service.

They are ran as public toilets but not free to use toilets, which deters a significant portion of ne'er-do-well's. Previously public toilets in Ireland were free to use and not maintained hence the terrible state and stigma associated with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

it is actually a legit name, many drugs have the -ine ending, codeine, morphine, it is odd that it does not.

https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Heroin-hydrochloride
    Chemical Names:
    Heroin hydrochloride

Heroine hydrochloride

Diacetylmorphine hydrochloride

Diamorphine hydrochloride

Diacetylmorphine HCl
    that is high enough for women to use.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urination#Standing_versus_sitting_or_squatting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_urinal

I read there is some country, I think in Africa, where men traditionally urinate in a squat position and women standing up -not partially squatting, they urinate out towards the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's fairly common in Europe to have public toilets. Normally they are ran and maintained by someone who is there all the time and a fee is charged to use them. Creates jobs and provides a service.

They are ran as public toilets but not free to use toilets, which deters a significant portion of ne'er-do-well's. Previously public toilets in Ireland were free to use and not maintained hence the terrible state and stigma associated with them.

The attendant takings rarely cover costs BTW, not an argument against provision but if it's used as an argument for provision it falls down.

Also problematic for the poorest who are most in need of facilities not in pubs / shopping centres

• Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

if you're on the southside and you want a piss you have to go to the 3rd floor of the f*cking St Stephen's Green shopping centre! I don't think there are any other options unless you're a "paying customer" somewhere. I remember in parts of London they had community toilet scheme or something where places like McDonald's just allowed the public to use the jacks without being a customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

So no one knows about the empty plastic bottle trick?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

We need manned public toilets in the city - pay in -twenty cent or somewhat. Not a euro like the self cleaning tardis boxes they thought would save the planet. People need to pee - private businesses should not have to take up theflac - we also need them in remote hiking areas like Glendalough ( cafe owner is paid to check and lock and clean them) that beaches are popular swimming places if the weather is ever hot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Slovakia has public toilets with an attendant .
    You pay your money and get your 2 sheets of toilet paper on the way in.....hoping that's enough. You can buy more if you need it....or bring tissues.
    They are kept spotless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Ireland’s attitude to things like this is downright shocking and it’s something that angers me all the time. People can’t even have a p*ss without someone pulling the “what about the junkies?” line. Sure people said it about the College Green plaza too (the busiest, fastest corridor was definitely going to become some sort of crack den apparently). People complain about drug addicts all the time in the city centre, but what happens when they try to open an injection centre to get them off the streets? Objections left right and centre. Unfortunately we have a very very backwards atttude towards drug addiction in this society, one so backwards that we can’t even have any f*cking public toilets!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

bubblypop wrote: »
    Of course there should be public toilets, also there should be water fountains.
    The argument we hear all the time is that our junkies & scumbags will ruin them. Well, there are junkies & scumbags in all European cities, but they can have these things, we are not special!
    In particular, the Phoenix park definitely need these facilities. I wouldn't mind paying for decent facilities, I doubt anyone else would.

In other countries scumbags and junkies are dealt with by the police if they are causing trouble. Here the Gardai ignore most offences and there is no consequences for people who have multiple convictions even if the Gardai do arrest them. How many European countries have people selling and taking hard drugs in full view?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    So no one knows about the empty plastic bottle trick?

All well and good...until....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ18TBefhIw&list=PLIsfE-qpiqMxspE-0nUWniDmAi4xAuRd3&index=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Del2005 wrote: »
    How many European countries have people selling and taking hard drugs in full view?

You’d be surprised.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

Public toilets in Dublin is an extremely bad idea, let's face it, in reality, they are never going to be maintained, cleaned or policed to any standard.

Anti social activity is tolerated to an extraordinary extent in Dublin, and the Guards operate with one hand tied behind their backs all the time. On the plus side, i've found you can give scroats a good hammering when they try it on, without the guards getting too bothered about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭pnecilcaser

fatknacker wrote: »
    Yes we need toilets. Everyone needs to use toilets. Private businesses shouldn't have to provide them. And they don't. Some do as a courtesy if you ask nicely but who likes asking to use a toilet like a child.
    We seriously need to sort this issue out.

The county council (in Donegal i think) is runninga trial with some local hotels to make their toilets "public". Still looked after and maintained by the private entity but advertised in public spaces as a public toilet. The hotels get more footfall and get paid by council. sounded like a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

This is a big issue.
    I suffer from a medical condition which on occasions necessitates an immediate visit to the toilet.
    I kind of know places where I can get in but there aren't many. I can recall one time where I tried 4 places before someone allowed me in, luckily that time wasn't so urgent but it could easily have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

As a runner/shopper/human there should be decent public toilets that are well maintained and that you can use without feeling like you're going to get glued to the seat or anything you touch and are safe to use.

In New Zealand along the lakeside they have a fantastic facility of public toilets that are spotless. Lock and give you 10 minute and even play music for you. They are impeccable. To the side they have showers too.

Most parks/public spaces had them and all free to use and again spotless and safe.

They spent their money well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

I’d like to see public toilets in Dublin. My husband, myself and the kids have to bring baby wipes with us when up in the city. It’s humiliating having to number 2s up lanes or behind cars

Advertisement