Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Country Road speed ramps?

• 20-05-2019 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi folks

Bit of an unusual one here.

I live on a moderately busy country road where if two cars meet, one car will have to pull in to let the other pass.

However, I live in the middle of a c. 800 meter dead straight stretch in the road, the surface is perfect on the road and so cars can easily and regularly reach 100-120 kph on this stretch in the road (a few I’d image travel at 120+)

As my dwelling is in the middle of this, I have nearly been mowed out of it a few times when merging from my drive onto the road.

I am just looking for advise really, would it even be worth approaching a councillor over this issue or can speed ramps only be placed in urban areas?

Thanks for any replies :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Having had friends who had speed ramps outside their house, they were a disaster with the noise from cars hitting them at night. I'd forget about speed ramps. Any other speed reduction measures means you'll have the noise of cars accelerating away from them.

I live on a country road where there is no hard shoulder. My solution is making sure I had good visibility from my gate both up and down the road and wait. The wall is back a good 10 foot from the edge of the road to ensure good visibility. I've often had to wait 2 minutes or more to get across the road in the morning..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Maybe get the council to erect a "Caution, Children" sign with one of those radar speed displays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

A set of mirrors directly across the road from your exit point giving you a left and right view might make life easier for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

"Merging" from a driveway suggests an onus on other road users to accommodate you.
    Pulling out of a driveway suggests that you carry a greater degree of the onus of care.
    Just saying like.................

Advertisement