Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could someone explain these licensing terms to me?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Do you mean rifle&pistol ranges?True that.North of Limerick and West of the Shannon there is nothing until you reach Lough Bo in Sligo.:(
    Plenty of local game hunting clubs and such tho.

Driven shoot.Hope you have your plus fours ,tweed jacket shirt&tie,brouges and Mike Yardley approved hat and bespoke SXS:rolleyes: Not to mind a toilet paper sized roll of 50 euro notes for the day.It's crazy mony for what it is here.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Bagpipe

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Do you mean rifle&pistol ranges?True that.North of Limerick and West of the Shannon there is nothing until you reach Lough Bo in Sligo.
    Plenty of local game hunting clubs and such tho.

Driven shoot.Hope you have your plus fours ,tweed jacket shirt&tie,brouges and Mike Yardley approved hat and bespoke SXS Not to mind a toilet paper sized roll of 50 euro notes for the day.It's crazy mony for what it is here.
    solarwinds wrote: »
    Plenty of clubs in the west. What do you mean by a group bird shoot, like a driven shoot ?.

Yeah its a shame you cant set up your own shooting range on your own land as far as i know. The only shooting range close to me is in Sligo and the closest hunting club is Claregalway. T'would be lovely to go out with friends and bring home the dinner. Yes a driven shoot ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

No driven shoots i know of in the west. There are any amount of hunting clubs between sligo and claregalway. Check out the nargc site for game clubs in the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Do you not bring home the dinner with the aid of your .223?

solarwinds wrote: »
    No driven shoots i know of in the west. There are any amount of hunting clubs between sligo and claregalway. Check out the nargc site for game clubs in the west.

By jaysus thats news to me :D Shame about the driven shoots, maybe I could be the first to form one ;)

• Advertisement

Do you not bring home the dinner with the aid of your .223?

Well i've never tried to eat a fox ;) and I haven't had much luck with deer either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Bagpipe wrote: »
    Well i've never tried to eat a fox ;) and I haven't had much luck with deer either.

Well you can't shoot deer with a .223 , but heres a recipe for fox;

https://www.livestrong.com/article/487204-how-to-cook-fox-meat/

.... plenty of lads hunt rabbits with the .223. Don't get me started with rabbit meat, the recipes are endless....

......https://youtu.be/4rT5fYMfEUc

....substitute rabbit for shrimp and you get the idea.

By jaysus thats news to me :D Shame about the driven shoots, maybe I could be the first to form one ;)

You wont be the first or the last with that idea out Whest... If you enjoy pouring money into a bottomless pit and getting little return on it,because you have to charge ridicilous amounts to your guests on a days shoot and with birds that had better be either plentiful or vey challenging shots.Its a very hard one to make a return on.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

There used to be one near Gort but I think it’s gone.

You wont be the first or the last with that idea out Whest... If you enjoy pouring money into a bottomless pit and getting little return on it,because you have to charge ridicilous amounts to your guests on a days shoot and with birds that had better be either plentiful or vey challenging shots.Its a very hard one to make a return on.

What's the legality regarding setting up targets on your own land to shoot at or making what is essentially a shooting range. I would presume its legal until you tried to operate it as a business? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Completely illegal.

Witcher wrote: »
    Completely illegal.

So on my farmland it's completely illegal to shoot at a stake for example? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CorkCBR6

Illegal to target shoot on your own or nominated land afaik.. silly rule in my opinion.

It gets even greyer when you ask yourself the question can I zero a rifle on my own land.. you'd obviously have to use some sort of a target

CorkCBR6 wrote: »
    Illegal to target shoot on your own or nominated land afaik.. silly rule in my opinion.

It gets even greyer when you ask yourself the question can I zero a rifle on my own land.. you'd obviously have to use some sort of a target

So it's illegal to cull the population of trees, stakes, buckets and cinder blocks that have just been breeding in such a way that they're stacked perfectly straight? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

There has recently been a VERY length thread about setting up a a target on your own property to use for zeroing. If you do a search I'm sure you'll find it.

Basically, you can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

So it's illegal to cull the population of trees, stakes, buckets and cinder blocks that have just been breeding in such a way that they're stacked perfectly straight? :D

The thinking behind that law is that it makes it illegal for every Tom, Dick and Harry to set up their own range without the correct authorisation. I'm actually ok with that end of things because unauthorised ranges would be unregulated, may be in unsuitable locations and may have no safety arrangements. I prefer my ranges to have very robust safety arrangements.

And I'd bet my left nut that as soon as someone is shot on a range - either one that is regulated or unregulated - there would be an almighty clamp-down on ranges and our sport would suffer. And lets be honest, someone is far more likely to be shot on an illegal, unregulated range than on a well run range such as HH or MNSCI.

The downside is that, while unintentional, zeroing outside of an authorised range is now illegal. A really poorly thought out and worded piece of legislation is the cause of that.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    The downside is that, while unintentional, zeroing outside of an authorised range is now illegal. A really poorly thought out and worded piece of legislation is the cause of that.

I don't bleeve that there is anyone here who would not agree with you.

tac foley wrote: »
    I don't bleeve that there is anyone here who would not agree with you.

It's actually worse than you think.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the toy in the link below is actually a restricted firearm according to our very poorly worded legislation due to the fact that they didn't put in a drawstring weight or some other means of differentiating between toys and real crossbows (kind of like how they differentiated between airsoft guns and guns that need licences).

https://www.walmart.com/ip/NXT-Generation-Tactical-Toy-Crossbow/24857906

Apologies, I can't post pics anymore due to new security arrangements on my work computer.

So is a pea-shooter................'uses propellant gas to expel a missile/projectile'................

If it fires under 1joule of energy its not classified as a firearm.Hence airsoft toys arent liscensed like paintball markers..

• Advertisement

If it fires under 1joule of energy its not classified as a firearm.Hence airsoft toys arent liscensed like paintball markers..

Ah yes, paintball markers - restricted short firearms which aren't licensable since November 2008. ðŸ˜

Well all of my questions have been answered thoroughly so I wish to express my gratitude, this is a very very helpful community!

Advertisement