Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tedder and silage

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Are they really worth it say if your only making 300 bales a year?

Deffo cause you’ll only make 250

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭locha

I’ve been thinking about one for the last 2 years. Pit 80 acres but the contractor has zero interest in tedding. Could get it done by a neighbour @ €12 an acre but I know when I want it done he won’t be available. two drivers of it for me - quality and decrease effluent. Anyone buy a lely? It’s going to be a lifetime purchase for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭lab man

i was at a main dealers the other day locha, 11k for a 6 rotor lely with straight tines the one with bent tines are coming back later in the year he said, wheather there is a difference in the tines how they ted out i dont know. but someone here might know if there is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

locha wrote: »
    I’ve been thinking about one for the last 2 years. Pit 80 acres but the contractor has zero interest in tedding. Could get it done by a neighbour @ €12 an acre but I know when I want it done he won’t be available. two drivers of it for me - quality and decrease effluent. Anyone buy a lely? It’s going to be a lifetime purchase for me

I read quite a few opinions on them in recent years and came to the conclusion that you couldn't really go wrong with any of the grass machinery manufacturers with a pedigree in grass. ie Kuhn,krone pottinger and lely.
    you probably could over think the tine question.

They will both do a good job. one thing though i did find interesting was some were of the opinion that the smaller diameter rotor was best verus a larger diameter rotor. so conclusion being more smaller rotors than less larger ones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Bought a new Kuhn 3160 last year.
    Got spreader vanes on it to help wilting and it’s a great help. Will save having to ted in an any way normal year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,428 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Bought a new Kuhn 3160 last year.
    Got spreader vanes on it to help wilting and it’s a great help. Will save having to ted in an any way normal year.

How ya find the mower? I'm thinking of the new kuhn 3161 this year. Serious animal. A whole new redesign

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Reggie. wrote: »
    How ya find the mower? I'm thinking of the new kuhn 3161 this year. Serious animal. A whole new redesign

Nothing wrong with the mower. Easy to drive follows the ground nicely. Bed doesn’t need oil changing which is supposed to be better. Only time will tell.
    Only thing that I’m disappointed about is the noise of it. It’s loud. Think it’s down to the conditioner being driven by a gearbox. Doesn’t sound like a mower. Heavy sound. Only a minor thing.
    Kept our fc 302 and there’s a lovely whizz out of it.

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with the mower. Easy to drive follows the ground nicely. Bed doesn’t need oil changing which is supposed to be better. Only time will tell.
    Only thing that I’m disappointed about is the noise of it. It’s loud. Think it’s down to the conditioner being driven by a gearbox. Doesn’t sound like a mower. Heavy sound. Only a minor thing.
    Kept our fc 302 and there’s a lovely whizz out of it.
    Yeah drove a 3160 last year and it was like a 747 behind me alright

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭stanflt

Yeah drove a 3160 last year and it was like a 747 behind me alright

Kuhn 302 was probably the best mower ever built

stanflt wrote: »
    Kuhn 302 was probably the best mower ever built

Well it's still kinda alive with you so that's saying something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭stanflt

Well it's still kinda alive with you so that's saying something

She’s nearly 20 years old and never lets us down- it’s probably only doing 3-400 acres a year now cause it’s easier for me to get a big m in knock the grass in a few hours

stanflt wrote: »
    She’s nearly 20 years old and never lets us down- it’s probably only doing 3-400 acres a year now cause it’s easier for me to get a big m in knock the grass in a few hours

That's called laziness

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭davidk1394

lab man wrote: »
    i was at a main dealers the other day locha, 11k for a 6 rotor lely with straight tines the one with bent tines are coming back later in the year he said, wheather there is a difference in the tines how they ted out i dont know. but someone here might know if there is

The straight tine will spread heavy fields of silage a lot smoother and with very few lumps. The hooked tines last longer and will work well on uneven ground. The smaller rotors are designed for silage and the larger rotor are for hay. Lely is the best well known make. They do a good job but would be softer than the likes of Kuhn or Krone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

I've been hearing good reports about the Malone tedders - anyone any experience with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Panch18 wrote: »
    I've been hearing good reports about the Malone tedders - anyone any experience with them?

Yes, I have one the last 2 years. Well built, solid machine. We broke a few tines this year and the brackets for holding the lights and warning signs on the back broke with the weight. I took it off and didn't bother putting it back on. It makes manoeuvring the tedder in tight gaps easier. It will take a bit of time to have the tedder set right. One thing i noticed is the tedder wont clear all the grass where the wheels of the tractor pass over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Looking at a 4 rotor Tedder. Narrowed down to Kuhn, Krone or Claas. Claas dealer is nearest to me annd leaning towards it. All in around the the €12k mark.

Any views.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Priced 6 rotor claas recently with the local claas dealer in the past 3 weeks. €17k all in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Sami23

Would you consider a Kverneland tedder. Think @Reggie. has good things to say about them and they look to be well made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Sami23

Very very hard to justify paying that much for a tedder that will sit in a shed for most likely 11 months of the year.

Surely 2nd hand would make more sense ?

Yeah good job in fairness. Mines out of action atm but after 6 years work I can't hold it against it.

I prefer the straight tine to the hooked .

I know the krone isn't too well liked sound here due to causing lumps but have no experience. Claas would be well got around here too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,375 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

They would be the type of machine that you could easily be buying someone else's problem. You can get that on any machine, but they aren't really they type of machine many lads would need to "upgrade" except for the fact it is giving issues or about to give them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Like anything once you have one you find it hard to be without. I make a serious wedge of hay every year and its a god send. This year it was a life saver with silage being to only way to drop the bale count in short weather windows. It would be used here from May to September and has really helped on fodder dry matter. It's easily saving me over €1000/year in reduced bales and this is only costing the contractor, wrap and gathering them up off the field. A neighbour had 2nd cut beside my second cut at the start of august. Similar crops and I had dropped the bale count 6 bales/ AC he was over 11/AC. The only difference was I tedder it twice.

I have an old 6 rotor and it's starting to get to its last legs. Lots of moving parts and time takes its toll on them and that's with slow travel speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭White Clover

Heard that about the Krone but was told that it was only the large rotor ones (4 rotor) that were leaving lumps. The small rotor models (6+ rotor) are supposed to be very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭kk.man

The Lely tine is 'hook' type. Its design was to lift grass to get drying underneath. Malone have them also.

I get it that people say it leaves more lumps. I was saving hay last year in a tight time frame and noticed this issue. I got the contractor to ted it one of the days for this reason alone. Contractor had a straight tine Class.

I love the Lely but with heavy crops i think it puts you on the back foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Had a Tedder here during the so called summer. A 5 rotor to spread out 3 ten foot rows. Then had a 6 rotor to spread out 3 ten foot rows and the 2 of them were working in the same 50 acre field making hay. The 6 rotor was far better to spread out the rows and turn hay. 5 rotor threw it back in lumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭White Clover

You won’t see a 5 rotor Tedder unless one rotor falls off of a 6 rotor! The more I hear about Tedders the more I begin to think that the 6 rotors do superior work than a 4 rotor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

You could be right. Was a malone. The more rotors the better for pulling the grass apart. Neimyar??? Was the 6 rotor 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Would it cost much to have a set of straight tines and swap over?

Rather than getting a tedder, would spreader vanes on the moco not get sufficient spread for drying without the additional cost of the tedder?

Not really as I notice when I mow grass open that it has a tendency to stick to the ground for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭DBK1

Plus you’re also driving on it when cutting the next swarth just to really stick it to the ground.

Advertisement