Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

It's telling you haven't addressed the Bailey controversy directly on a single occasion, FG badge of honour stitched in place. In their place are episodic attempts at deflection, including this one. Much to your chagrin, you alone can't stem the tide of antipathy towards a compulsive liar who is trying to extort the system.

I couldn't give a rat's ass, Bart, about Marie Bailey. Not a curse. I would worry a small bit about you though; I really do bother you, and I'm living rent free inside your head. Stop taking this site so seriously. It comes across as weird to be honest, who ever you are. Following me around from thread to thread like an intellectual and emotional beggar.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

You've posted twice as often as any other poster on this thread - and most of them were responding to a lad who was winding you up like a pocketwatch! :D
    You were the same in the various water threads at the time - you couldn't see that you were the one getting played, and your obsession with FG was starting to look slightly unhinged. Listen, lad, put away the phone for the day, and go for a drive or a walk or something. It's a lovely day out there, and it's starting to look like you need a break from all this - there's a fair bit of anger in your posts behind all those smilies and stuff. It's only politics - you certainly can't change it while typing into a 2 inch keyboard.

TLDR.

Count to a million, and check back in the thread again, if I'm still here rinse and repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,393 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

ChikiChiki wrote:
    Well they should be charged with it. You probably see nothing wrong with that.
    I hardly brought it up if I see nothing wrong with it.

I couldn't give a rat's ass, Bart, about Marie Bailey. Not a curse. I would worry a small bit about you though; I really do bother you, and I'm living rent free inside your head. Stop taking this site so seriously. It comes across as weird to be honest, who ever you are. Following me around from thread to thread like an intellectual and emotional beggar.

Marie Antoinette rearing up again, sans cogent retort. If you don't care about Bailey, why deign to post in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

You've posted twice as often as any other poster on this thread - and most of them were responding to a lad who was winding you up like a pocketwatch! :D
    You were the same in the various water threads at the time - .
    I would worry a small bit about you though; I really do bother you, and I'm living rent free inside your head. Stop taking this site so seriously. It comes across as weird to be honest, who ever you are. Following me around from thread to thread like an intellectual and emotional beggar.

Nice to have that sort of time to keep track of various posters in various threads. Enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

So guys whose side are you on?

In the Green corner we have Fingal Council reluctantly sawing down trees on the footpaths of Skerries in an attempt to try to prevent compo claims;

and, in the blue corner, proudly wearing their dunces' hats, we have a bunch of well-intentioned, but foolish, locals trying to stop them.

When the Council puts the business rates up because of the increase in compo claims, guess who'll be among the first to scream blue murder!

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/skerries-locals-take-streets-stop-16347371

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Can we wrap this all around a fish supper until the video inevitably gets leaked and pop it up then for a round of I-told-you-so ?

If the Queen of the Swingers, our Dublin VIP hasn't suffered enough, then she will :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

eagle eye wrote: »

If you go back and check my posts during Obama's visit you'll see where I felt embarrassed because Enda Kenny who had used the N word in a joke in 2002 was up there as our nation's leader and I'd be certain that Obama would be aware he used that word.

For the record, he quoted a black barman using the n word. That was the whole point of the (pretty lame) joke.

That he told it to members of the press can certainly be cited as evidence that Kenny was a fool, but trying to use it as proof that he was unfit to meet Obama is is complete and utter nonsense.

I hope they have at least made a copy of the footage before handing it over.

Few extracts for those that are blocked by the paywall.

David Kennedy SC, who was appointed by Fine Gael to “establish all the facts” around Ms Bailey’s action, will have access to the case papers from the Dean Hotel in Dublin as he reviews the events around the case.

The hotel gathered CCTV footage for its file – a basic technical support used by businesses to assess the veracity of personal injury claims taken by members of the public – that could assist Mr Kennedy for the Fine Gael review.

“We are co-operating with an official government review and we believe that this is the correct way for us to provide any further information,” said a spokeswoman for Press Up Entertainment Group, owner of the Dean.

The CCTV footage was a reason why the company contested the action and denied liability in Ms Bailey’s case.

If Josepha Madigan is on that CCTV, she will be bricking it at this stage. Her involvement, or lack of is going to come out soon.

The case papers may reveal further details on the involvement of Madigans Solicitors, the Dublin law firm that represented Ms Bailey in her case and where her Fine Gael colleague, Minister for Culture Josepha Madigan, worked.

A spokesman for Ms Madigan said last night that she worked in the firm until June 2017 but declined to say whether she was involved in Ms Bailey’s legal action.

Ms Madigan, who was a colleague of Ms Bailey’s on Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council in July 2015, would not be commenting further until Mr Kennedy’s review was complete, the spokesman said.

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has admitted the legal action caused “reputational damage” to Fine Gael, while Minister for Health Simon Harris said the case had done damage to the party in the run-up to last month’s elections.

Chancers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Shouldn't a copy of this also be sent to who ever Investigates Insurance Fraud ?

Its not as if Fine Gael can be Trusted ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,941 ✭✭✭✭josip

A poster who openly admits to being a paid FG shill, and committing electoral fraud to their benefit - rides in like a white knight on his majestic steed to defend them......

Go back to your shyte thread flash, your depriving losty with toilet talk and thanks button clicking.
    :D

Ohh, burn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

eagle eye wrote:
    Dropped because of damning press and social media.

Possibly dropped when the hotel owners made it clear they were defending the case with the aid of CCTV footage.

Possibly dropped when the hotel owners made it clear they were defending the case with the aid of CCTV footage.

Posted this on the main politics forum
    I see the indo have an article today featuring Pat McDonagh (he of Supermacs) and the knock on effects insurance/claims have on businesses.

The article references a couple of now withdrawn claims against the company,

It's fairly reminiscent of the Bailey case, as in the Dean also refused to accept liability, and refused to settle the case, opting to fight it instead.

You'd have to wonder if the indo has some info on the CCTV footage of that night, as they also make reference to how footage was pivotal in their case, even showing a clip of a guy staging a fall (obviously GDRP doesn't affect the indo or Supermacs)

https://m.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/latest-news/no-consistency-no-justice-in-the-system-says-supermacs-boss-38173154.html

One wonders if we'll soon be gifted similar CCTV of an otherwise previously unknown TD and God knows who else in the swing gate incident?

Posted this on the main politics forum

I worked for Pat years ago. We had footage of a staged accident. I won't go into details. But we allowed it go to court and disclosure was made about the CCTV but the other side still proceeded thinking we would settle on the steps. After the material was played the judge threw out the case. We still had to pay our costs, it was and still is crazy that there is no consequence for bringing a spurious claim.

She might have a case now. I'm sure the hotel sought legal advice about handing over data to a third party before doing it but if they didn't.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I worked for Pat years ago. We had footage of a staged accident. I won't go into details. But we allowed it go to court and disclosure was made about the CCTV but the other side still proceeded thinking we would settle on the steps. After the material was played the judge threw out the case. We still had to pay our costs, it was and still is crazy that there is no consequence for bringing a spurious claim.

Yeah I have heard Pat raise this issue quite a few times now. He has CCTV everywhere now to prevent fake claims. Inaction by the government is one thing, but watching their own TDs take advantage of the slack legal area is beyond comprehension.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

After what senior Gardaí did to McCabe, I would imagine they have many copies made.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    She might have a case now. I'm sure the hotel sought legal advice about handing over data to a third party before doing it but if they didn't.....

Let's hope it was better legal advice than Maria's clear cut case.

Madigans have a lot to answer for.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Can't you be prosecuted under the 2004 Civil Liability act (I think?) for making a false claim? There's a fine and a prison sentence. Isnt if you give false or misleading instructions to a solicitor in relation to a personal injury? So it doesn't exactly have to go to court?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

It doesn't work like that. You burn copies to hand over to Gardai or whoever. Security staff or the equipment installers with PSA affiliations verify the time and date stamp on the footage and sign and seal them with a date. You do not give anyone access to the original, this will be on archive storage.

If a copy of the video ever gets into the public arena she can take a case against the people responsible for the video. In this day and age with the new gdpr laws in place it'd be very foolish to leak it.
    All she'd have to do is file and take her tome with it until after a GE and then attribute the leak as a cause for her not getting re-elected. We know she won't be elected next time up but if the video was leaked it would definitely go against her.

eagle eye wrote:

The hotel can sue Bailey for their costs. The hotel is complying with an investigation I'm sure they took the relevant advice to protect themselves. You really are coming across as deluded in your posts.

Can't you be prosecuted under the 2004 Civil Liability act (I think?) for making a false claim? There's a fine and a prison sentence. Isnt if you give false or misleading instructions to a solicitor in relation to a personal injury? So it doesn't exactly have to go to court?
    I think it does have to get to court before that comes into play.

The hotel can sue Bailey for their costs. The hotel is complying with an investigation I'm sure they took the relevant advice to protect themselves. You really are coming across as deluded in your posts.
    I said I'm sure they did take legal advice but if they didn't she might have a case.
    How do you s that deluded?
    Or is this just a general statement because I'm not rowing in with the rest?
    I've been accused of being Maria Bailey, of being a Fine Gael supporter and of defending Maria Bailey in this thread.
    All I've said is this is very minor in comparison to other things like the billions wasted on the children's hospital.
    I've talked about Maria Walsh telling lies and nobody caring about it. The hypocrisy is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,618 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

^^^^^

This is a runaway train at this point.
    You are trying to stop it, but instead, you are encouraging people to keep pushing. Walk away and it will likely slow to a halt soon after.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭tigger123

It's a Senior Counsel conducting the 'review'. I'm sure he wouldn't be asking for a copy of the CCTV footage if he thought it would have consequences down the line.

People seem to think that because of GDPR no cant do anything anymore. It's the new Health and Safety.

• Advertisement

This is a runaway train at this point. You are trying to stop it, but instead, you are encouraging people to keep pushing. Walk away and it will likely slow to a halt soon after.
    I'm enjoying the stupidity and hypocrisy of it all. It's just funny.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement