Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Its all pretty standard stuff. They could expel her from the parliamentary party by removing the whip and let her stay in the party itself. They can do this temporarily. they have lots of options.

Exactly.

Political parties have always had ways to remove members so I don't know where all this "innocent until proven guilty" stuff came from. That threshold only comes into play in a criminal trial and not in an internal disciplinary process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

RustyNut wrote: »

Remind us again what qualifications this guy has to run the health services? A masters in public administration perhaps?

Exceptionally clever, apart, of course from the fact that he's not running the Health Service,

this guy is: image.jpg
    Exceptionally clever but no qualifications to be health minister other than the minium standard required to get a job in my local centra. I wonder can he use a swing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Pretty sure Harris dropped out of college with no qualifications, not defending the guy but his leader was also the minister for health ( Leo's a qualified doctor) think he was also useless although was exceptional at commenting on other departments.

Which I believe he completed in becoming a GP while working in Dáil Éireann on the tax payers coin.
    I'm sure his work ethic didn't suffer, based on a career of achieving nothing of note.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

RustyNut wrote:
    Remind us again what qualifications this guy has to run the health services? A masters in public administration perhaps?

Pretty sure Harris dropped out of college with no qualifications, not defending the guy but his leader was also the minister for health ( Leo's a qualified doctor) think he was also useless although was exceptional at commenting on other departments.
    And now he expects a lad with an average leaving cert and a first aid course to do the job. It really is no wonder we have a crysis in the health service.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

The swings are back up.....

D7pLE-0XkAAvYVp?format=jpg&name=small

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Would you 'having your doubts' be the lamest of attempts in coming across as unbiased? That ship has sailed for both yourself and eagle eye.

I know that myself and Eagle Eye are pretty much sailing against the wind of popular opinion but all I'm doing is adding my experience of personal injury claims to the mix.

I'm absolutely sick of dealing with personal injury claims for my employer and I regularly see claims that don't even have as much merit as Bailey's being successful.

I'm not batting for Bailey by any means. I'm just saying that the bar for fraud is very high indeed and in my experience, what she's done so far is nowhere near the level needed for a conviction.

Is what she did ethical, well, that's a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Where are the bottle holders?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

vriesmays wrote: »
    What did Simon Harris say to Bailey: How low can you go.

The floor being the obvious answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

Which I believe he completed in becoming a GP while working in Dáil Éireann on the tax payers coin.
    I'm sure his work ethic didn't suffer, based on a career of achieving nothing of note.

I know it's difficult for you, but try to tell the truth occasionally, Matt.

He completed his qualification by working as an unpaid intern while an elected TD.

Ten seconds' research on google could have established that truth, but you'd much prefer to throw muck at him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

BattleCorp wrote:

Since you posed a question about ethics, maybe answer it yourself. Based solely on the subject of this thread ie Maria Bailey. Is Bailey's behaviour ethical and if not does she deserve to be sanctioned for it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

And now he expects a lad with an average leaving cert and a first aid course to do the job. It really is no wonder we have a crysis in the health service.

You certainly don't need a 3rd level degree or exceptional LC to be successful. Plenty of school drop outs have gone on to be exceptional talents.

However, I think real world experience is the most imortant thing even moreso than a degree. Getting up at 5am and going out working via public transport, building a proper career, setbacks, managing tight salaries and budgeting in a tough housing market etc etc all builds character and resilience.

I believe anyone who choses to be a career politician is devoid of reality. Because they cannot really emphatise with the struggles of daily life. I would put Harris in that grouping.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I know that myself and Eagle Eye are pretty much sailing against the wind of popular opinion but all I'm doing is adding my experience of personal injury claims to the mix.

I'm absolutely sick of dealing with personal injury claims for my employer and I regularly see claims that don't even have as much merit as Bailey's being successful.

I'm not batting for Bailey by any means. I'm just saying that the bar for fraud is very high indeed and in my experience, what she's done so far is nowhere near the level needed for a conviction.

To be clear, she had a claim you 'have your doubts' that she'd win such a case? We're talking on the shambles of a person she is and how her being FG plays into her spurious claim. I mean Ahern never did time but would you trust him with your pension? Or Noonan with the country's NAMA deals....oh wait.

He completed his qualification by working as an unpaid intern while an elected TD.

Ten seconds' research on google could have established that truth, but you'd much prefer to throw muck at him.

Difficult for me? Where's the lie you chancer? In fact show one lie you can attribute to me? I'm not Maria Bailey by the way.
    He completed it while a tax payer paid sitting member of the Dail. I'll note you didn't refute my claim on his career. I like the Daz white of your shirt by the way ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

To be clear, she had a claim you 'have your doubts' that she'd win such a case? We're talking on the shambles of a person she is and how her being FG plays into her spurious claim. I mean Ahern never did time but would you trust him with your pension? Or Noonan with the country's NAMA deals....oh wait.

I think Battlecorp has been very informative even if a lot of posters don't agree with what he says. It's good to have the input of someone who deals with this stuff all the time. To be fair he has repeatedly said he doesn't agree with her putting in a claim, only that she has a right to legally.

pablo128 wrote: »
    I think Battlecorp has been very informative even if a lot of posters don't agree with what he says. It's good to have the input of someone who deals with this stuff all the time. To be fair he has repeatedly said he doesn't agree with her putting in a claim, only that she has a right to legally.

TBF we're discussing what she herself did and detailed what happened and any FG fall out. The legalities only come in to it in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

D7pLE-0XkAAvYVp?format=jpg&name=small

Where are the instructions on how to use swings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭McCrack

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Again, not quite. Texting while driving is illegal. Can you show me what part of what Bailey did is illegal? Having a hard neck isn't illegal.

Unethical maybe, but not illegal. Running a race three weeks after an accident is not illegal. Nor, believe it or not, is having an inaccuracy in an Affidavit. I've seen them corrected a few times in court. (You might say lie, she might say inaccuracy). It's not a lie unless a judge believes it to be a lie.

I know it seems like I am defending Bailey. I'm not. I think it's a scummy thing to do to put in a claim in those circumstances. But, if you'll pardon the pun, to be frank she hasn't broken any laws. Unfortunately.

I've seen weaker cases than hers succeed. Again unfortunately.

By the way, if she was negligent and the hotel were negligent (in any way), she'd probably win her case. She might lose some of her compensation because of contributory negligence but it's unlikely she'd lose everything.

The problem is that the hotel is expected to foresee every reasonable eventuality. They are expected to foresee that people are dumb sh1ts and will fall drunk off a swing or won't hold on properly and must take steps to prevent that from happening. The burden placed on employers is far too much. The fact that the hotel put non-slip tape on the swing following this incident could be used by Bailey to show that the hotel hadn't done enough to prevent gobsh1tes from falling off the swing. Sadly that's the way things are.

Or not put a swing in a premises licensed to sell alcohol

Entirely foreseeable a person drunk is going to use it...

The consequences are obvious and on that basis I could see how liability can attach leaving aside contributory negligence which may/may not be found facts depending

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

k123456 wrote: »
    Where are the instructions on how to use swings

And where are the supervisors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

TBF we're discussing what she herself did and detailed what happened and any FG fall out. The legalities only come in to it in court.

Myself and others were calling for her to be arrested and charged. I myself wanted her imprisoned. Battlecorp has explained in detail and in layman's terms how it's very unlikely she will be punished for this case by a court.

McCrack wrote: »

The consequences are obvious and on that basis I could see how liability can attach leaving aside contributory negligence which may/may not be found facts depending

But she claims she'd only one drink in her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Who was doing his td work then?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Apart from the fact Maria Bailey 150% refutes any suggestion that she was drunk, or was messing (her words) where do you draw the line on this nannyism BS?

A swing is a danger in a venue because drunk people might use it? It's a swing, there's hundreds of thousands of them in kids playgrounds the length and breadth of the country, my guess is rarely if ever are any incidents in the playgrounds, used by prepubescent children - never mind adult legislators.

What else should we remove from pubs incase drunk people use them?

Knives? (Might drunk chop finger off)
    Bottles? (See below)
    Glass? (Sean Conlan)
    High stools? (Risk of falling)
    Stairs? (See above)
    Steps? (See above)
    Railings? (See above)
    Electrical sockets? (Sticking cutlery in them)
    Food (risk of choking)

What about busy roads operating on or near a venue, sure drunk people might fall crossing the road? (Pedestrian/vehicle risk)

Maybe take their kids away from them if they've had a drink too, sure someone on the shandy might drop their children in their head, forget where they left them, or maybe be too hungover in the morning to feed them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

McCrack wrote:

You could say the same about stairs, high stools, pool tables, dart boards etc. Do we simply throw personal responsibility out the window and make the venue entirely responsible for the idiocy of the clientele. Incidentally heard a woman on "whine line' today describe an accident she had at a French train station several years ago, she tripped and fell between the platform and moving train. Very lucky escape by all accounts, amazingly she didn't claim, but I suppose there is no comparison between the danger of a swing 45 cm off the ground and being caught between a train and a platform. Bailey's an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

They've just booked their next holiday;
    The Drunken Monkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

Enjoyable Prime Time stitch up of FG's Alan Farrell. Sweet!

He may not have had whiplash, but hopefully he'll soon have a very severe case of voter backlash!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

He may not have had whiplash, but hopefully he'll soon have a very severe case of voter backlash!
    No way someone with a neck like him got whiplash.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Isn't it amazing how I was in many a crash including the one I absolutely destroyed a Vectra where I destroyed the complete drivers side roof and all and jumped out the passenger side with a scratch on my wrist from the glass smashing everywhere.

I claimed nothing....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Wasn't he photographed up on a ladder after the accident. Farrell made a statement in the Dail about compensation culture just weeks before his claim.

It only seems to be coming into public knowledge now. He was posting links to the defamation act on twitter to people during the Maria Bailey scandal.

Hypocrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

What's the story with compensation payouts - are they private or public information? Councillors and TD's should be obligated to make available all of their financial affairs so the public can see if they have conflict-of-interest or if any large payments suddenly fill up the bank account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Have we all been distracted for long enough from Exxon and CNOOC getting a rubber-stamped scrutiny free exploration licence by now ?

Nothing smells worse than a convenient storm-in-a-teacup media frenzy over a gombeen on a swing while rook takes queen in the background....:mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement