Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

What, if anything, do ye think Fine Gael can do to mitigate this mess at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Sack:
    Bailey
    Farrell
    Madigan

Simple

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

UsBus wrote: »
    Sack:
    Bailey
    Farrell
    Madigan

Simple

Would have happened by now, not gonna happen unfortunately.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

KikiLaRue wrote: »
    What, if anything, do ye think Fine Gael can do to mitigate this mess at this stage?

Do nothing till summer recess and hope people have forgotten about this when they return about 3 months later?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I think people over estimate the structure within political parties.

This story on Farrell broke here
    https://www.thesun.ie/news/1703010/fine-gael-td-suing-car-hire-firm-for-up-to-e15000-over-crash-that-left-him-in-pain-for-14-months/

about 9 months before it came to trial. So even if Farrell didn't notify HQ, it was it the public domain and yet he was arrogant enough to plough ahead with a case which could only do reputational damage to himself, his party and government.

Likewise, no one in FG had control over Bailey and off she went with her Radio 1 interview.

These two say a lot about the calibre of typical TD's and even more about the seat of the pants way big parties are run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

inforfun wrote: »
    Do nothing till summer recess and hope people have forgotten about this when they return about 3 months later?

This.
    The nod and sly knowing wink culture at the top in Ireland will be maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

gmisk wrote: »
    Another non td chancer.
    He lost, but they didn't go after him for costs so what's the deterrent?
    Passenger loses personal injury claim over Bus Éireann vehicle involved in 4mph scrape with car https://jrnl.ie/4668164

He also had another claim against bus eireann but dropped it so he wouldn't have to pay bus eireanns legal costs on the first case. What a degenerate, he should be barred from bus eireanns buses. I hope the newspapers keep publishing these stories and the names of the claments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

BattleCorp wrote: »
    banie01 wrote: »
    100% agreed.
    Quite often in my own line of work it's easier to settle than defend.
    The fees associated with drafting pleadings and instructing counsel make small cases practically a gimme.

It's a cost and ethical quagmire IMO.
    Money or its lack, should never dictate or restrict a plaintiffs access to justice.
    But.
    It's also important that repercussions follow the plaintiff for any frivolous or exaggerated claims.
    Finding the balance that allows that will go a long way towards freeing up the court lists.

The Injuries Board don't help when it comes to the small cases either. I haven't seen an Injuries Board award for less than €20k in about 4 years. So if someone cuts their finger and get one stitch, are out for a week and then return to work, yep, €20k. Say you have a pain in your back and are out of work for two weeks, yep €20k. It's a fcuking joke.
    Doesn't that reflect very badly on Alan Farrell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

givyjoe wrote: »
    Would have happened by now, not gonna happen unfortunately.

No probably not. But fine gael are gonna get reamed in the next general election. Real hatred of them developing now. Cue Fianna fail back in, the country goes into recession and rinse and repeat..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Underground

We all know someone who got compo for an injury' - ex-FG candidate defends Bailey

Gas.

The indo are digging like demented moles on this case, they've also an article on Madigans and whether Josepha played any part of this kerfuffle.

To be fair to her, I believe she's being honest there in that everyone within her circle of FG friends know people who have got compo claims. Spurious claims seem to be par for the course for them.

She's just demonstrating once again how out of touch FG are with the everyman who doesn't file a claim every time he's the victim of his own clumsiness. Granted, his person is independent now but she's FG at heart.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Ten Pin wrote:
    It's their arrogance that gets them in the end.

That has always been the problem of FG, people tolerate for only so long and hey ho back comes FF.
    My grandfather disliked FF but always said " at least FF would leave a few pennies in your pocket, FG would take your last penny and laugh at you".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

inforfun wrote: »

That would have been the usual procedure in such situations. However everybody in business has difficulties getting insurance cover. Thus this incident will be recalled daily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

That has always been the problem of FG, people tolerate for only so long and hey ho back comes FF.
    My grandfather disliked FF but always said " at least FF would leave a few pennies in your pocket, FG would take your last penny and laugh at you".

My 76 year old mother, has never been political, but when FG got elected in 2011, she was quick to say, if you think FF are bad, wait til you see this crowd.

She was pretty bang on to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Is there any way to find out who represented Farrell in his case?

20 months after his 'accident'..
    https://twitter.com/namawinelake/status/1016579324298891264

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

It's too late at this stage and tbh they have rounded the wagons to protect one of their own.

Watch out for the next major international news story/terror attack etc.. as FG will be looking to release the results of their "investigation" into her then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

They may do what they do with many shown to be incompetent/unfit for duty in the public eye, make her a Senator down the road or stick her on a board. That'll keep her quiet and away from the public gaze. She messed up too clearly and publicly to get an EU posting like Frances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

They may do what they do with many shown to be incompetent/unfit for duty in the public eye, make her a Senator down the road or stick her on a board. That'll keep her quiet and away from the public gaze. She messed up too clearly and publicly to get an EU posting like Frances.
    Eh, really? She was forced to resign her position and nearly brought down the government. The fiasco she was part of had massive media coverage, she had absolutely nothing of note to say in the recent election debates and somehow in light of all the above, she managed to get a seat in Europe. I wouldn't bet against her running in next GE, and STILL being re-elected (Bailey I mean).

givyjoe wrote: »
    Eh, really? She was forced to resign her position and nearly brought down the government. The fiasco she was part of had massive media coverage, she had absolutely nothing of note to say in the recent election debates and somehow in light of all the above, she managed to get a seat in Europe. I wouldn't bet against her running in next GE, and STILL being re-elected (Bailey I mean).

She was "exonerated". There was even talk of apologies for her :rolleyes:

Well there is the generational no matter what FG voter, (and FF) the scourge of the nation IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

RustyNut wrote: »
    Who was doing his td work then?

The matter was comprehensively covered by the Irish media at the time, so, challenging though it undoubtedly is for many users, Google remains your friend.

• Advertisement

The matter was comprehensively covered by the Irish media at the time, so, challenging though it undoubtedly is for many users, Google remains your friend.

You've yet to show where him being a paid TD while completing his medical qualifications was wrong or inaccurate. Stating the information is available or that it was covered by the media does nothing to dispute it.
    eagle eye wrote: »
    The cas has been dropped, there is no insurance fraud.

The public are not up in arms. The media are pushing it because the stupid on social media have bitten on this.
    Normal people on the street who don't spend their whole day with their heads stuck in a phone have moved on from this long ago.

Nice try ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

https://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/td-alan-farrell-claimed-880-worth-of-car-repairs-after-minor-collision-but-later-dropped-case-38183291.html

The indo is pushing it now, Farrell must be cursing Maria now. Maria is spreading the muck far and wide. Its like a ****e bomb explosion everyone in FG is getting a little turd on them.

Macdarack wrote: »
    No way, she and they should be hounded and made examples of. Hopefully it marks a turning point in fraudulent claims helped by this /these high profile cases.

Bearing in mind that she filed her claim a couple (? or more?) of years ago, there are probably quite a few interesting ones still coming down the tracks.

There seems to be a huge problem with judicial consistency though; some judges appear to be adopting a very sceptical approach to claimants whereas some others still seem to be throwing compo at them like snuff at a wake.

I don't know if we'll ever be able to solve that particular variable dimension in judicial awards. Also, while I have no supporting evidence, I have a suspicion that factors like nationality/ethnical grouping/appearance/address/ and possibly even accent can seriously influence both the verdict and level of award that claimants get.

You've yet to show where him being a paid TD while completing his medical qualifications was wrong or inaccurate. Stating the information is available or that it was covered by the media does nothing to dispute it.

Not my job, sunshine.

You told the lie - so it's up to you to do the digging. I'm not a manual worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭abff

I was in a local coffee shop (part of an international chain) about a year ago when I had a fall. The place I was sitting was on a raised platform a few inches above the floor and I turned as I got up from my seat to say something to the person I was with, who had just taken a call on his cell phone.

I missed the step and fell heavily, banging my arm and shoulder against the table opposite. A member of staff came rushing over to see if I was OK and I assured her that I was fine, just a little dazed. I sat back down and she brought me a drink of water.

I thought nothing further of it until the shop's manager came running over to me a few minutes later, asking for my name and contact number. At this point, I realised that she was concerned about a potential insurance claim.

As far as I'm concerned, it was my own carelessness that caused me to fall and it had not occurred to me to try to pin the blame on the restaurant. I had a couple of aches and pains for a day or two afterwards, but otherwise no ill effects.

Funnily enough, I heard something on the radio the following day about the compensation culture and it helped put the manager's actions into context. I considered getting in touch with the restaurant to put the manager's mind at rest, but decided that this might come across as an attempt to get something from them.

Do I think that I deserve any thanks for behaving as I did? No, I just behaved in a way that I hope most people with any sense of decency would behave.

Unfortunately, it seems as if I'm in somewhat of a minority in this regard. I don't regret not 'cashing in' on my accident, but I do regret the apparent loss of the type of values that were commonplace when I was growing up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

https://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/td-alan-farrell-claimed-880-worth-of-car-repairs-after-minor-collision-but-later-dropped-case-38183291.html

The indo is pushing it now, Farrell must be cursing Maria now. Maria is spreading the muck far and wide. Its like a ****e bomb explosion everyone in FG is getting a little turd on them.
    The driver of the Hertz vehicle had been inching forward and panicked when a spider fell on to her arm.

:D

Humanity is doomed!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,561 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

wonder if by any chance it was a friend of his who carried out the €600 worth of 'labour' on the car. Also €153 worth of paint ??? I'm struggling to see where the damage is

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

From the above article
    Mr Farrell was awarded €2,500 for his injuries, but Judge Coghlan said there was "little or no notation to back up a claim of significant whiplash". "In the circumstances I consider it to be a very minor injury," he said. When asked about his decision to drop the material damage claim, Mr Farrell told Independent.ie: "My case was adjudicated on by a District Court judge. Liability for the accident was admitted and I am satisfied that the matter is concluded. I have no further comment."

Last week, Deputy Farrell came out in support of Fine Gael colleague Maria Bailey after she withdrew her personal injury claim against The Dean Hotel following a fall from a swing on a night out. "Just because you hold public office shouldn't debar you from defending and vindicating your rights," he said. The Dublin Fingal TD said he had "a great deal of sympathy for her personally and for her family" after she officially withdrew her claim last week.

The Irish Independent revealed how Ms Bailey ran a 10km race three weeks after she fell from the swing.

Just watched the clip of Alan Farrell on last nights Prime Time, he is fine with putting in a massive claim for whip lash but when confronted about it by the reporter he is completely silent. What a neck on him

https://twitter.com/tvcritics/status/1136035442803929088
    https://twitter.com/tvcritics/status/1136035442803929088

Not my job, sunshine.

You told the lie - so it's up to you to do the digging. I'm not a manual worker.

Why that's the boorish behaviour of a Yaley!
    What lie? :):)
    Leo completed his medical qualifications while a TD paid by the tax payer.
    You claimed I lied. You then changed tack and tried to dismiss it as old news. If you are just making claims to chance your arm, you're in the right thread ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

2smiggy wrote: »
    wonder if by any chance it was a friend of his who carried out the €600 worth of 'labour' on the car. Also €153 worth of paint ??? I'm struggling to see where the damage is

12 hours of labour trying to find the damage

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement