Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

First I heard of this Exxon deal !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Just another lame excuse to blame the gubberment on everything wrong in the world.

"The gubberment" are supposedly giving out about spurious and exaggerated injuries/compo payouts and are batting for medium and small enterprises in an effort to tackle same, yet members of same "gubberment" including TDs, and possibly reaching up to those with ministerial positions have been caught poaching when meant to be game keeping.

In Alan Farrell's case, we all know motoring insurance is mandatory here by law, motor insurance is steadily creeping up (no claims bonuses seem to be a thing of the past) and Farrell was caught being part of the problem.

I know you're in a bit of a sticky wicket here trying to find ridicule, but just for a minute do this, close your eyes and imagine that it is Erica Fleming or Margaret Cash involved in these claims......

There now, that should be you in happy place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

eagle eye wrote: »
    At trying to shut down the story by claiming nobody is interested. We are complex beings. We can have a thread on that and others too. Trump is in Ireland, nearly missed it because I was thinking about Bailey....
    I posted the question of why the media were being so nasty about it and social media so up in arms.
    The ordinary man on the street thought about it, maybe discussed it once and in many cases laughed about how crooked politicians are.
    Exxon getting drilling rights is a very big deal but nobody noticed it because the media were all over this rubbish. They'll drop it now and move on.

Go start a new thread about Exxon then. This one is about Maria Bailey and her false insurance claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Augme

tototoe wrote: »
    That has always been the problem of FG, people tolerate for only so long and hey ho back comes FF.
    My grandfather disliked FF but always said " at least FF would leave a few pennies in your pocket, FG would take your last penny and laugh at you".

My 76 year old mother, has never been political, but when FG got elected in 2011, she was quick to say, if you think FF are bad, wait til you see this crowd.

She was pretty bang on to be fair.

Well hardly. Fine Gael haven't come close to Fianna fail yet. Anything who thinks they have need to do a bit of research on Fianna fail.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭Sajid Javid

Alistair Campbell could not spin this shower out of the web they have created.
    It was not just a moment of madness when the FG Mafioso put Leo the media attention seeking camera loving whore in charge of communications (GE 2016) it was simply nuts of the highest order and it upset a lot of the Veterans some of which were and are still very loyal to the party.
    This shower would put the script writers of British sitcom Yes Minister to absolute shame with their version of Minister for What, I have to say I immensely enjoyed the first episode and cant wait for the next installment as more actors come on board creating lots of awe and shock for all the now concerned.
    I wouldn't rule out musical chairs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Why do people say things like "FG haven't been as bad as FF yet" or "FF were worse" etc..
    It's too late to give a shit about them (or too early), but in the right now, we have politicians in government in the party with the most power, bringing 'iffy' claims to court while the same party are claiming to be tackling 'iffy' claims etc..
    Deal with the now and worry about the other shit when it happens.

No wonder they all swan about as though they are untouchable, when we don't remind them why they are supposed to be where they are, and for whom.
    When there are signs of rot showing, cut it off. Don't help it grow or keep it. Absolutely bullshit pointing the finger elsewhere. We already know the other party are crap, we were here then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I posted the question of why the media were being so nasty about it and social media so up in arms.
    The ordinary man on the street thought about it, maybe discussed it once and in many cases laughed about how crooked politicians are.
    Exxon getting drilling rights is a very big deal but nobody noticed it because the media were all over this rubbish. They'll drop it now and move on.

Re Exxon - deflection alert
    Re Swing-gate, I think anybody who is paying for accident insurance would be very interested in this saga as developes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

nuac wrote: »
    Re Exxon - deflection alert

Yeah, some tart on a swing off a swing off her face on the radio is definitely a bigger issue than the minister for Natural Resources, Community Affairs and Digital Development granting licences for exploration wells without meeting with the parties concerned, or knowing the exact details of the licence.....
    Is the tail wagging the dog in your head ?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭AbdulAbhaile

RustyNut wrote: »

Remind us again what qualifications this guy has to run the health services?

Exceptionally clever.

Is the any visible sign of this exceptional cleverness? Previous history of successful projects completed maybe? Because what I see is an ordinary Joe who is in full fake it till you make it mode but the make it bit's not happening.

Maybe its just me but I think that the people at the top table who are dealing with budgets in the billions and are making decisions that will affect the people for generations to come should have a proven track record backed up with some relevant education.

I'm talking as someon who voted FG no1 the last two times out.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭AbdulAbhaile

RustyNut wrote: »

Remind us again what qualifications this guy has to run the health services?

Exceptionally clever.

Is the any visible sign of this exceptional cleverness? Previous history of successful projects completed maybe? Because what I see is an ordinary Joe who is in full fake it till you make it mode but the make it bit's not happening.

Maybe its just me but I think that the people at the top table who are dealing with budgets in the billions and are making decisions that will affect the people for generations to come should have a proven track record backed up with some relevant education.

I'm talking as someon who voted FG no1 the last two times out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Go start a new thread about Exxon then. This one is about Maria Bailey and her false insurance claim.

As if a fine gaeler is bothered by a drilling licence.you'll be waiting on that thread for awhile!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭blackwhite

That would be an ecumenical matter.
    The point is he was a sitting paid TD, while completing his medical qualification. Maybe we could discuss the costs of such a back up plan on the tax payers coin at another juncture...
    Well for him all the same. While the working poor get abuse from FG spivs on not bettering themselves. Be nice to have a (well paying) job that allows you go to college at the same time. Sure it's all swings and roundabouts ;)

More lies Matt?

He completed his GP training - which meant doing part time cover in a GP surgery when the Dáil wasn't in session. No "going to college" involved.

Your personal obsession with Varadkar surely extended to the tiniest piece of research on this - so yet again you let your wierd desire to drag politics down to personal attacks on any politician you don't like push you to exaggerate and lie instead of sticking to the truth.

Yourself and the rest of the mob are really scraping the barrel to deflect from the collective drop in votes for the looney left parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Fianna Fáil effectively bankrupted the country for a 3rd time in our short history and only added fuel to their own house fire as the whole thing came down around them.

They effectively beat themselves into a pulp, cut out their tongue and lay the edge of the political abyss. All FG had to do was to give them a little nudge. And from the void perhaps a true left leaning alternative party may have emerged.

Instead FG pulled FF back from the abyss, got them bumped up the hospital queue ensuring a speedy recovery and paid for their new tongue implant through a dodgy insurance claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,397 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

blackwhite wrote:
    He completed his GP training - which meant doing part time cover in a GP surgery when the Dáil wasn't in session. No "going to college" involved.
    Did he give back his pay when he was doing that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

As James Gogarty would have said 'did he ...'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

If you are annoyed with the thoughts of that, have a read of this.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/norris-got-tcd-disability-pay-1.884724

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

BattleCorp wrote:

Did you ever get the feeling that all those involved in politics are self serving 'C U Next Tuesday's' just taking the p*ss out of the public to enjoy a privileged lifestyle?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,397 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

BattleCorp wrote:
    I'm not really annoyed by it, I've come to accept that the majority of them are at it.
    This is why I was asking why this particular case was causing so much consternation. It's not like it's anything new, and it's not corruption that's costing us millions which there has been plenty of.

eagle eye wrote:
    I'm not really annoyed by it, I've come to accept that the majority of them are at it. This is why I was asking why this particular case was causing so much consternation. It's not like it's anything new, and it's not corruption that's costing us millions which there has been plenty of.

The reason it causes so much consternation is the blatant hypocrisy of FG when as a government they are telling us they are tackling the high cost of insurance yet several of said government are involved in what appears as spurious and hyperbolic claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'm not really annoyed by it, I've come to accept that the majority of them are at it.
    This is why I was asking why this particular case was causing so much consternation. It's not like it's anything new, and it's not corruption that's costing us millions which there has been plenty of.

I think this particular case resonates with people because we are all seeing insurance costs rise. It's either our house insurance, car insurance, health insurance, business insurance etc. It effects everybody.

Norris being paid to be a Senator while being off work on disability from Trinity doesn't seem to be as much of a direct hit on people's pockets (although it is) as an arrogant politician looking for easy insurance money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

blackwhite wrote: »

Yourself and the rest of the mob are really scraping the barrel to deflect from the collective drop in votes for the looney left parties.

This comes back to the political party/football team analogy I made earlier in a different forum.

May I suggest that the "mob" couldn't give a collective fcuk about the "drop in votes for the looney lefts".

Another poster who makes a comment on another poster(s) input to the thread, but leaves out their own thoughts on the dubious claim(s).

FFS, even wheeliebin has been saying if she's not booted from the party, he's no longer going to vote for them.

Some irony in a post singling out a poster with an observation about singling out a public representative.

What's your thoughts on Bailey's shifty (now withdrawn) claim btw, or is having a go at a poster higher up your outrage barometer?

Why would he do that? Was his attendance in the Dail reduced during that time?

Is anyone else who works two jobs expected to hand back their pay from one of them?

There’s plenty of genuine stuff Varadkar can be criticised for.
    Criticising him for finishing the last stage of GP training is utterly stupid

This comes back to the political party/football team analogy I made earlier in a different forum.

May I suggest that the "mob" couldn't give a collective fcuk about the "drop in votes for the looney lefts".

Another poster who makes a comment on another poster(s) input to the thread, but leaves out their own thoughts on the dubious claim(s).

FFS, even wheeliebin has been saying if she's not booted from the party, he's no longer going to vote for them.

Some irony in a post singling out a poster with an observation about singling out a public representative.

What's your thoughts on Bailey's shifty (now withdrawn) claim btw, or is having a go at a poster higher up your outrage barometer?

Coming from someone who only ever posts criticism of a two parties - and tied himself in knots to defend certain parties - we can take he above with the hefty pinch of salt it deserves.

I’ve posted on Bailey on a different thread. She’s an idiot and deserves to lose any current positions. I’d expect her to be deselected in the next election.
    If we had a proper political culture then she’d have resigned already - but we’ve seen that there’s something that no politicians in Ireland - regardless of party - ever do.

Funnily enough - MBs posts aren’t about Bailey - they were fabricating lies about Varadkar “going to college” whilst a member of the Dail. Yet that off topic is perfectly fine for johnny because is attacking the “other side”

Pot calling the kettle black comes to mind for the first line of your post above TBH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

Interesting the way the "debate" has moved on from Matt's original lie to whether or not Leo should return his pay for having the nerve to work during his time off!

Interesting the way the "debate" has moved on from Matt's original lie to whether or not Leo should return his pay for having the nerve to work during his time off!

The "debate" in this thread concerns the nefarious intentions of Maria Bailey. It's not that difficult to comprehend.

The "debate" in this thread concerns the nefarious intentions of Maria Bailey. It's not that difficult to comprehend.

In fairness the attempts at derailing the thread are amusing.

In fairness the attempts at derailing the thread are amusing.

You mean the posters continually bringing up Varadkar's medical training?

blackwhite wrote:
    You mean the posters continually bringing up Varadkar's medical training?

No I mean all attempts, from oil exploration licenses to children's hospitals to Leo etc . As I said all attempts not just one.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Thread needs a little reminder of what it is about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Doc07

I have criticised Leo publicly and privately many times and on many issues.
    His medical training and the integrity and manner of achieving his GP training while also becoming a politician are not in dispute. It’s a non issue and a silly hill to die on.
    Persisting with the angle that it was untoward makes you look at best a fool or at worst a troll to any reasonable person.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement