Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,356 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Im actually surprised by that. It could surely be argued that anyone is entitled to go on a pleasure ride without getting injured and if injury such as a broken arm is a possible outcome, the ride should be altered to reduce that risk.

That said, We need lots of decisions like this. People need to see that there is a strong chance that they will fail in their claims if they are in any way on dodgy ground. That woman would have been in for a large payout if they were found negligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

mickdw wrote: »
    Im actually surprised by that. It could surely be argued that anyone is entitled to go on a pleasure ride without getting injured and if injury such as a broken arm is a possible outcome, the ride should be altered to reduce that risk.

That said, We need lots of decisions like this. People need to see that there is a strong chance that they will fail in their claims if they are in any way on dodgy ground. That woman would have been in for a large payout if they were found negligent.

Not so sure in this case it was the correct decision. Part of being negligent is if injury is reasonably forseeable and to be honest, it sound like it might have been. No restraints and no cushion to mitigate possible injuries from being thrown around the boat. Fair enough comment on the no restraints re: capsizing, but not so much on the cushions. I doubt she's the first person to get a nasty bump from the ride.

Def not a clear cut case of no liability and in no way is this comparable to Bailey. The judge specifically said injured party was not negligent themselves, unlike that dope Bailey going hands free on a swing.

Key point here from the judge on the note of standards in St Maarten where the accident happened.. "..The judge said Ms Kellett had not established the excursion operators failed to comply with the relevant standards applicable in St Maarten. There was simply no evidence of what those standards might be...". A ride which throws you from your seat and no restraints or padding doesn't sound particularly safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

that case seemed to hinge on the fact that it happened outside the state and no evidence was presented as to the legal safety standards required in St Maarten

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I could have sworn that exact case was in the paper last week, with the outcome? It must have beenleading up to it, but I thought it said she lost. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,356 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

She did

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

mickdw wrote: »
    She did

Yeah :) true, I meant that I thought it said that last week, not just that the case was due to appear or whatever..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

I’m no fan of the man but I think it’s stands to Leo that he finish his studies to become a doctor. Politics is no sure game especially for a newcomer

This brings us neatly to the point that upon being elected he clearly said on RTÉ he’d be doing one term as td and going back to medicine.
    Then Much later and very conveniently coming out a few weeks before marriage equality.
    And here we are.

Make of that what you will.

He’s the biggest opportunist say anything to get you there snake since Bertie
    And possibly even worse.

To quote my da on Leo
    ‘It’s not leadership he has. It’s followship. Licks his finger sticks it up in the air to see which way the wind has been blowing for ages. Go that way’.
    It’s not even leading from the back. It’s following public mood and badly.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

To quote my da on Leo
    ‘It’s not leadership he has. It’s followship. Licks his finger sticks it up in the air to see which way the wind has been blowing for ages. Go that way’.
    It’s not even leading from the back. It’s following public mood and badly.
    Not disputing what you posted.
    I just think its ironic that you criticise Leo for following the herd by telling us what someone else thinks.

• Advertisement

I just think its ironic that you criticise Leo for following the herd by telling us what someone else thinks.

Haha.
    I think it too. Many do. The guy hasnt a bulls notion what he’s doing as Taoiseach.
    Farms every decision out and no actual leadership.
    These are facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

That’s 3 posters in the last 3 days who have told us their grand parents and parents words of wisdom about FG and Leo.

Same posters will give out people only vote for FF or FG because their parents did back in the day.

Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Doc07 wrote: »
    I have criticised Leo publicly and privately many times and on many issues.
    His medical training and the integrity and manner of achieving his GP training while also becoming a politician are not in dispute. It’s a non issue and a silly hill to die on.
    Persisting with the angle that it was untoward makes you look at best a fool or at worst a troll to any reasonable person.

No one disputes his training but at the time the Medical Council did dispute him becoming a fully qualified doctor when he had already publically announced that he did not intend to practice medicine and was instead going into politics full time.

In any case Varadkar hasnt been a doctor since 2013 so its all irrelevant anyway.

That’s 3 posters in the last 3 days who have told us their grand parents and parents words of wisdom about FG and Leo.

Same posters will give out people only vote for FF or FG because their parents did back in the day.

Strange.

And yourself and a number of very obvious spinbots in every time he’s mentioned in fairness. At least your kind of consistent.
    He’s directly related to this story and his decision or more likely lack of in this particular matter is going to loom large and hit hard if he does his usual which is total inaction.
    It’s not going away. People are still furious. Perhaps he follows his single political instinct and follow public opinion and fire her.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,980 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Melania Trump enjoyed a special cultural showcase upon arrival in Shannon. The First Lady was treated to a performance that included Irish music, dance and poetry hosted by Ireland’s Minister for Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht Josepha Madigan.
    https://www.irishpost.com/news/melania-trump-ireland-167787

Original itinerary featuring trip to Dublin vetoed by Secret Service when they saw The Dean listed as one of the venues...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

No I mean all attempts, from oil exploration licenses to children's hospitals to Leo etc . As I said all attempts not just one.

Yes, amateurish deflection attempts. It seems the real FG Communication gurus are still in urgent conclave trying to cope with Swing-gate.
    That Bailey wan is a laughing stock, which is not a good place for any politician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Augme wrote: »
    Well hardly. Fine Gael haven't come close to Fianna fail yet. Anything who thinks they have need to do a bit of research on Fianna fail.

True FF have a long way to go to top FG on child homelessness for example. We have record breaking levels of homelessness, child homelessness doncha know?
    blackwhite wrote: »
    More lies Matt?

He completed his GP training - which meant doing part time cover in a GP surgery when the Dáil wasn't in session. No "going to college" involved.

Your personal obsession with Varadkar surely extended to the tiniest piece of research on this - so yet again you let your wierd desire to drag politics down to personal attacks on any politician you don't like push you to exaggerate and lie instead of sticking to the truth.

Yourself and the rest of the mob are really scraping the barrel to deflect from the collective drop in votes for the looney left parties.

Is that the whiff of shyte talk I sniff?
    Show me the lie? Show me any lie I've ever posted?
    Someone mentioned he trained as a doctor. I pointed out he completed his qualification while a paid sitting TD. Fact B.W.

Now you're just getting all tin foil hat B.W...Personal how? Japers you're stuck for a FG merit badge I suppose.

If you were half the casual observer you claim to be you wouldn't be in like a blue shirted knight anytime your team gets called out. Now off with you I'm gagging.... *pew*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Shouldn't have been clogging up the Irish high court. It happened in the Caribbean and a British outfit ran the holiday. The Irish office that booked it have nothing to apologise for, they just work in an office. They have never seen the boat 3,000 miles away!

“Costs to be decided later.” Why can’t both sides put up a bond before the case happens? I dunno, might be a way to keep non serious claims out of court

• Registered Users Posts: 38,397 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

blackwhite wrote:
    There’s plenty of genuine stuff Varadkar can be criticised for. Criticising him for finishing the last stage of GP training is utterly stupid
    I asked a question,I didn't make any point.
    He was a paid political representative for the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭blackwhite

True FF have a long way to go to top FG on child homelessness for example. We have record breaking levels of homelessness, child homelessness doncha know?

Is that the whiff of shyte talk I sniff?
    Show me the lie? Show me any lie I've ever posted?
    Someone mentioned he trained as a doctor. I pointed out he completed his qualification while a paid sitting TD. Fact B.W.

Now you're just getting all tin foil hat B.W...Personal how? Japers you're stuck for a FG merit badge I suppose.

If you were half the casual observer you claim to be you wouldn't be in like a blue shirted knight anytime your team gets called out. Now off with you I'm gagging.... *pew*

You claimed he was “going to college” - a flat out lie.

But as usual it’s then on to your repertoire of personal digs.

Pathetic as always - everyone knows exactly your agenda on here, and the desperation to peddle any lies and throw any abuse you can to further that agenda.

Must be a sad existence to be so obsessed with a small handful of politicians - and to feel the need to get abusive every time your lies and obsession get shown up.

• Advertisement

You claimed he was “going to college” - a flat out lie.

But as usual it’s then on to your repertoire of personal digs.

Pathetic as always - everyone knows exactly your agenda on here, and the desperation to peddle any lies and throw any abuse you can to further that agenda.

Must be a sad existence to be so obsessed with a small handful of politicians - and to feel the need to get abusive every time your lies and obsession get shown up.

Wait wait....are you saying he took it correspondent style online while carrying out his TD duties? Or do you think I'm saying he's one of them X-Men and was both in the Dail and school at the same time? Because I'm not.
    To clarify for you, he was a TD getting paid by the tax payer while he completed his qualification.
    And here you go again. You're the one jumping in to point out behaviour describes your own self. I get a little silly grin when I read how passionate all this gets you :)
    Go wan now Wheels is at FG HQ with a coco for you, mind the swings :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

At least he has a qualification I suppose, more than some of the gobsh1tes he has on his team.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Wait wait....are you saying he took it correspondent style online while carrying out his TD duties? Or do you think I'm saying he's one of them X-Men and was both in the Dail and school at the same time? Because I'm not.
    To clarify for you, he was a TD getting paid by the tax payer while he completed his qualification.
    And here you go again. You're the one jumping in to point out behaviour describes your own self. I get a little silly grin when I read how passionate all this gets you :)

It’s already been stated on this thread that GP training was completed by working at a GPs practice on days the Dail wasn’t sitting. Maybe in whatever warped mind you have working in a GPs practice equates to “going to college” - but the more likely explanation is the usual Matt habit of ignoring any facts that don’t suit the bitter agenda he pushes about his personal obsession.

It’s funny how abusive you always get when your lies get pointed out - I don’t think I’ve ever seen you engage about FG without you resorting to personal attacks on whoever calls out your lies and obsessive behaviour.

It’s almost like you don’t have the capability of engaging civilly like an adult - funny that :rolleyes:

You’re so argumentative and confrontational.

I haven’t commented on your posts here at all yet you drag me in.

It’s actually pathetic.

It’s already been stated on this thread that GP training was completed by working at a GPs practice on days the Dail wasn’t sitting. Maybe in whatever warped mind you have working in a GPs practice equates to “going to college” - but the more likely explanation is the usual Matt habit of ignoring any facts that don’t suit the bitter agenda he pushes about his personal obsession.

It’s funny how abusive you always get when your lies get pointed out - I don’t think I’ve ever seen you engage about FG without you resorting to personal attacks on whoever calls out your lies and obsessive behaviour.

It’s almost like you don’t have the capability of engaging civilly like an adult - funny that :rolleyes:

Was he on unpaid leave on these days B.W.? Did he take a sabbatical from the Dail?
    All I'm saying is, he was a sitting taxpayer paid TD when he completed his qualification.
    You've pointed out no lie/lies. You are mistaking abuse for boredom. You roll in to any thread slights FG in any way and shovel the same 'unbiased' crapola.

You seem to be obsessed with anyone who criticises the government of the day. I mean I could see a random punter passing occasional comment but you seem like you've skin in the game to me B.W.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Book2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,980 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Pity Leo didnt stick to medicine. We could do with another doctor and one less politician sitting on the fence.

In some alternate universe, the Irish government is about to collapse as details emerge about Taoiseach Maria Bailey's personal imjury claim...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

You’re so argumentative and confrontational.

I haven’t commented on your posts here at all yet you drag me in.

It’s actually pathetic.

I saw you liked B.W's post. Now this is where you say 'All complaining and no solutions' or something ;)

I saw you liked B.W's post. Now this is where you say 'All complaining and no solutions' or something ;)

So what if I liked a post.

Leave me out of whatever your arguing about today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I'm guessing this sneering comment is directed at myself along with two others. This is what my grandfather said 'FF would leave you with a few pennies while FG would take your last penny and laugh at you' at least tell the truth.He had no opinion on Leo since he's been dead since 1997 yet you decided to make a personal comment about his level of intelligence. You really should just stick to attacking the comment and not the posters. Play the ball dude not the man.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement