Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

In other words, you don't want to see the construction company making a profit?

By any chance are you an escapee from the thread where a bunch of economically challenged nitwits are whining about insurance companies making a profit?

T11 or who ever looks after road building, have in the past several years been able to have projects completed on budget and on time or even earlier than promised.

Not twice or 3 times the quote, but the price that was given in the first place.

We the taxpayer are being rode sideways with this hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Propose thread title change to 'Soon to be former Fine Gael TD...'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Wonder if Bailey's and Farrell's behaviour is having an impact on FG's poll rating? Or it could just be FG's ingrained arrogance.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It’s a genuine shame Coveney didn’t get the job. He has the head for it and a deep understanding of how politics works both here and abroad. You would have never heard of him hiring a spin unit. Ever. He wouldn’t and wouldn’t have to.
    He’s no interest in the photo op and glad handing either. Unlike Leo.

You’d wonder do they have him on the bench for later. But unless something disastrous happens you’ll never see Leo step down.

You’d hope his buffoonery dealing with this Bailey issue would lead to it. It might yet. But history of accountability in this country suggests otherwise

Because everytime he opens his mush he embarrasses himself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

Yurt! wrote: »

Maria Walsh is another thing entirely, completely empty, policy free zone. "New face! Fresh voice! Up and coming generation! Children are the future! Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!"

She really irritated me. It's like we've completely dispensed with the concept of merit in our society and political system.

Happily, not living in the Greenland South East european constituency (or whatever it's called), I managed to avoid her completely, but I like your description!

It sounds rather as though she's FG's answer to another MEP from that same constituency - no, not Ming the Mindless, but Dana!

• Advertisement

pablo128 wrote: »

T11 or who ever looks after road building, have in the past several years been able to have projects completed on budget and on time or even earlier than promised.

Not twice or 3 times the quote, but the price that was given in the first place.

We the taxpayer are being rode sideways with this hospital.

No. We're simply being asked to pay what it costs.

The roads analogy is far too simplistic - it's far easier to cost and build a strip of asphalt and a few bridges than it is to build a state of the art 21st century hospital.

Can you carry out an organ transplant on a road?

No. We're simply being asked to pay what it costs.

The roads analogy is far too simplistic - it's far easier to cost and build a strip of asphalt and a few bridges than it is to build a state of the art 21st century hospital.

Can you carry out an organ transplant on a road?
    Is it too much to ask for the tender to be reasonably accurate instead of putting a low-ball tender in and just handing the bill whatever it is to the customer?

There is a good reason T11 projects come in on time and on budget and it's all down to the contracts, and don't come back with some smarmy unwitty soundbite.

We are being turned over. Again.

pablo128 wrote: »

Is it too much to ask for the tender to be reasonably accurate instead of putting a low-ball tender in and just handing the bill whatever it is to the customer?

There is a good reason T11 projects come in on time and on budget and it's all down to the contracts, and don't come back with some smarmy unwitty soundbite.

We are being turned over. Again.

When you write "smarmy sound bites" it's pretty clear that you are unable to construct any coherent counter-argument to the points that I am making.

And, so simplistic was your "roads" comparison that I didn't even bother to dig up some examples of massive overspend on TII contracts. But had I wished to so, then I could.

All of that said, I share your and other posters' fury at the many-layered, ongoing incompetence of the NCH Project Team, as documented in chilling detail in the PWC Report. Where I differ from you is that I am not prepared to blame Government Ministers for the failings of others.

Personally speaking, I'd be far more annoyed at the impending cost of the National Broadband Scheme. Although in that case, I suspect that the government has played a game by outlining a worst case price of €3bn in the expectation that it will be brought in for a lot less, whereupon the government will seek credit for its prudence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Sligo rovers reporting their public liability insurance gone from 15k to 86k in two years with no claims, they negotiated to 65k with massive excess but saumy its unsustainable. More fool ppl of Sligo voting in FG TD's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

When you write "smarmy sound bites" it's pretty clear that you are unable to construct any coherent counter-argument to the points that I am making.

Just to jump in here you might get a more reasoned and thought out reply to your comments if you dropped the superiority attitude and insults you have engaged in to this point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

And, so simplistic was your "roads" comparison that I didn't even bother to dig up some examples of massive overspend on TII contracts. But had I wished to so, then I could.

All of that said, I share your and other posters' fury at the many-layered, ongoing incompetence of the NCH Project Team, as documented in chilling detail in the PWC Report. Where I differ from you is that I am not prepared to blame Government Ministers for the failings of others.

Personally speaking, I'd be far more annoyed at the impending cost of the National Broadband Scheme. Although in that case, I suspect that the government has played a game by outlining a worst case price of €3bn in the expectation that it will be brought in for a lot less, whereupon the government will seek credit for its prudence.

Unfortunately FG seems to be economic illiterates. their actions have driven the hoards back into the arms of FF and the Greens. Can you imagine how bad people must consider FG to be to make people believe that FF and the Greens offer a credible government, these are the people who brought the country to its knees but are now likely to be the main beneficiaries from FG's arrogance and incompetence.

Here's a counter argument. We are being lied to, blatantly robbed, in full public view, under the watch of Fine Gael, who, it appears to the public, are just shrugging their shoulders.

By the tone of your posts, you are ok with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Unfortunately FG seems to be economic illiterates. their actions have driven the hoards back into the arms of FF and the Greens. Can you imagine how bad people must consider FG to be to make people believe that FF and the Greens offer a credible government, these are the people who brought the country to its knees but are now likely to be the main beneficiaries from FG's arrogance and incompetence.

I suppose a 1 billion overspend is worst than a 64 billion bailout.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

which party is economically literate? i'm no FG fanboy but look at our options at election time - it's a grim vista.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

which party is economically literate? i'm no FG fanboy but look at our options at election time - it's a grim vista.

The children's hospital, the rural broadband, the health service over runs, the housing crisis, the HAP scheme, I could continue but it makes me feel ill to see all that waste of tax payers money.

All control of these projects and departments seem way beyond FG competence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I suppose a 1 billion overspend is worst than a 64 billion bailout.

And as we all know, FG called for even more tax cuts and spending when in opposition just prior to the collapse. I suppose ye should be thankful that it was Bertie and not FG who had their hands on the tiller.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    And as we all know, FG called for even more tax cuts and spending when in opposition just prior to the collapse. I suppose ye should be thankful that it was Bertie and not FG who had their hands on the tiller.

Richard Bruton is on Dáil record for the 2002 budget calling for decrease in spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,461 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Well if people are not happy with either option they need to be looking for someone else to vote for. And if that option isn't there they need to be organising themselves to provide it. It suits FF and FG fine that a lot of people can only see politics as a pendulum swing between the two of them. That way no matter how far the pendulum swings away from one of them it'll always come back eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Well if people are not happy with either option they need to be looking for someone else to vote for. And if that option isn't there they need to be organising themselves to provide it. It suits FF and FG fine that a lot of people can only see politics as a pendulum swing between the two of them. That way no matter how far the pendulum swings away from one of them it'll always come back eventually.

Makes it important to start using our votes to out these two (at least).

If Farrell and Bailey, or either of them are still in FG come next GE, and FG don't lose by a landslide, then we have nobody to blame but those around us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Overtime must be great in Sunday’s all the same

• Advertisement

Just to jump in here you might get a more reasoned and thought out reply to your comments if you dropped the superiority attitude and insults you have engaged in to this point.

Perhaps so. However, I don't expect to read many balanced, reasoned or well thought-out replies on a thread discussing the utterly contemptible Maria Bailey and her shabby compensation-seeking antics.

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Sligo rovers reporting their public liability insurance gone from 15k to 86k in two years with no claims, they negotiated to 65k with massive excess but saumy its unsustainable. More fool ppl of Sligo voting in FG TD's

FG TD's???

For the record, the Sligo-Leitrim electorate elected one FG TD and three opposition TDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Richard Bruton is on D record for the 2002 budget calling for decrease in spending.

Their (FGs) manifesto in 2007 though had commitments to "cutting the rates of income tax for all taxpayers, and keeping the low rates of corporation and capital gain tax"

Simply put, FG were simply lucky that it happened to be FFs time at the controls when the wheels fell off.

There's a case to be made that, had FG have gotten in on 2007, we'd have been in deeper sh1t.

Their (FGs) manifesto in 2007 though had commitments to "cutting the rates of income tax for all taxpayers, and keeping the low rates of corporation and capital gain tax"

Simply put, FG were simply lucky that it happened to be FFs time at the controls when the wheels fell off.

There's a case to be made that, had FG have gotten in on 2007, we'd have been in deeper sh1t.

And every opposition party at the moment is calling for more spending in every department.

Do you think that’s a good idea at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I see they're going after Leo for horsing into the Bolivian marching powder in his youth

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Naturally.

Only a complete fool would imagine that a Doctor and a young whippersnapper with a good Leaving Cert would know more about hospital construction costs than the professionally Qualified multi-disciplined Project Team set up to deliver the hospital.

So basically what you're saying is Varadkar and Harris cant be held accountable because they didnt know what they were doing.

The Swedes, who have higher labour costs that Ireland, recently built a national childrens hospital. It cost €2.1bn and it delivered 1,340 beds or a cost of €1.56m per bed. Our hospital to date is costing €2bn and it will deliver 473 beds or €4.43m per bed, almost three times what the Swedes done it for.

Yet you are on here arguing that we aren't getting stitched up :rolleyes: would ya go away and sh1te, Fine Gael is paying way over the odds for this hospital and anyone who says they arent is just another party shill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Muahahaha wrote: »
    So basically what you're saying is Varadkar and Harris cant be held accountable because they didnt know what they were doing.

The Swedes, who have higher labour costs that Ireland, recently built a national childrens hospital. It cost €2.1bn and it delivered 1,340 beds or a cost of €1.56m per bed. Our hospital to date is costing €2bn and it will deliver 473 beds or €4.43m per bed, almost three times what the Swedes done it for.

Yet you are on here arguing that we aren't getting stitched up :rolleyes: would ya go away and sh1te, Fine Gael is paying way over the odds for this hospital and anyone who says they arent is just another party shill

Well, isn't that amazing?
    But us Irish are different. We have to pay a billion or two over cost .... ..... you know, because of brown envelopes.

Fluckin' parasites. You can only abuse so long before we really rise up and teach you a lesson.
    It'll give a new meaning to early risers Leo, you stinking liar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Thats the problem with Ireland, in a nutshell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Perhaps so. However, I don't expect to read many balanced, reasoned or well thought-out replies on a thread discussing the utterly contemptible Maria Bailey and her shabby compensation-seeking antics.

According to Leo, Maria Bailey is one of his better TD's, one of the more competent ones. Says a lot about him and his team really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

It’s a genuine shame Coveney didn’t get the job. He has the head for it and a deep understanding of how politics works both here and abroad. You would have never heard of him hiring a spin unit. Ever. He wouldn’t and wouldn’t have to.
    He’s no interest in the photo op and glad handing either. Unlike Leo.

You’d wonder do they have him on the bench for later. But unless something disastrous happens you’ll never see Leo step down.

You’d hope his buffoonery dealing with this Bailey issue would lead to it. It might yet. But history of accountability in this country suggests otherwise

Coveney was at Bilderberg, wouldnt want him near the top job.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement