Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Four full pages with no input from our resident spin doctor.
    Not even a whisper.

Did you get taken out wheeliebin? Are ye ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I'm guessing the 'injured' party is sueing the tour operator for not having a representative advise her that snow and ice maybe slippy. Joking about the last but but it seems they are suggesting the tour operator was negligent.

Like unless one of the tour operator reps pushed her down the steps of the bus then it is pretty difficult to see where this claim is coming from. Time will tell but it is sounding very spurious to me, especially in a ski resort where injuries occur so frequently that they have a field hospital on site and medics staffed within it.

Theres loads of other injuries in ski resorts aside from on the slopes, vast majority of these are drink related with people slipping on icy footpaths. Another common injury away from the slopes is people walking down steps in ski boots- the rigid calves on ski boots point your entire body forward at a 10-15 degree angle and if you try to go down steps whilst wearing them then its not going to end well.

Time will tell but my guess is that she did her hip in on the beginner slope and she went off to Madigan to attempt a pay out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

[quote="Muahahaha;110460396"

Another common injury away from the slopes is people walking down steps in ski boots- the rigid calves on ski boots point your entire body forward at a 10-15 degree angle and if you try to go down step in them then its not going to end well.[/quote]

That’s why you should hang onto the handrail, oh hang on, this sounds familiar...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭McCrack

Odelay wrote: »
    That’s why you should hang onto the handrail, oh hang on, this sounds familiar...

**** there is no handrail..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Four full pages with no input from our resident spin doctor.
    Not even a whisper.

Did you get taken out wheeliebin? Are ye ok?

I think Wheelie now has 3 good reasons not to vote for FG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Well I know you're all mad agin Johnny but maybe take some time out to do some therapeutic carpentry, like Joseph of Nazereth :pac:

Because she's back baby, throwing around High Court compo writs like confetti at a wedding :D Just for clarity though Madigan no longer has the case, after she filed the initial pleadings soon after in 2017 FFs Deirdre Conroy changed solicitor for reasons unknown.

Now here is the interesting bit- up until now Joespha Madigan has been refusing to answer questions about her involvement in the Maria Bailey case. She refuses to say whether or not she advised Bailey that she had "a clear cut case" and has hidden behind client confidentiality as her cover. We were told by FG hacks on here that Joespha practiced Family Law and there is no way that she would lower herself to that personal injury stuff.

Well now that turns out to be a crock o' sh1te because Phoenix magazine is reporting, and I quote verbatim:

Now what that says to me is that Joespha Madigan personally signed the papers going into the High Court. The article states her name- it does not state Madigan & Co. Solcitors so there is now no hiding behind the company. We were told before that she practices Family Law only but that no longer appears to be the case and further questions on her involvement in the Maria Bailey case are now even more valid than they ever were.

Circuit court not high court. the circuit court limit is €60000

€60k isn't much for a broken hip.

I think Wheelie now has 3 good reasons not to vote for FG.

There’s a heated frantic meeting at spin hq tonight or I’m a monkeys uncle.

BattleCorp wrote: »

It's 60k too much if you don't deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

There are many people who broke their hips and got nothing ? Why , because it was their own fault and it never entered their heads to blame anyone else .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,971 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Should be simple enough to assemble data on how many business closures and the cause of them no? Isn’t that what they do?

How would you work out the cause of business closures? Do you expect the CSO to audit their accounts, including the insurance costs? Or just take whatever they're told and report that as fact regardless?

It’s a genuine shame Coveney didn’t get the job. He has the head for it and a deep understanding of how politics works both here and abroad. You would have never heard of him hiring a spin unit. Ever. He wouldn’t and wouldn’t have to.
    He’s no interest in the photo op and glad handing either.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/ministers-45-advisers-set-to-get-increases-in-salaries-36487890.html

The 45-strong team includes former Newstalk presenter Chris Donoghue, who was recently appointed as a media adviser to Tánaiste Simon Coveney, on a salary of €98,391.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

My mother god rest her soul worked in a bank doing cleaning work many moons ago. They had a leaking sink pipe in their canteen that went unfixed for a few weeks until she slipped and broke her wrist one evening. She went off to the hospital and the bank paid her sick pay and sent her a nice bunch of flowers every Friday for the few weeks she was out and that was that.

Different mustard back then when you compare her with the scum you hear about now these days looking for the next quick buck. The disturbing thing is they see no shame in it and our supposed leader is only to happy to stand by them.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

The story that won't go away. Businesspeople up and down the country are watching what Fine Gael do here, the action they take, or the inaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

In fairness, Leo was too busy trying to show how in-tune he is with the "Green wave" today by showing up for their big Climate Change Plan launch (no doubt another lip-service smoke and mirrors effort to extort more tax from people) in one of Dublin Bus's new hybrids

Always one for a media stunt is our Leo :rolleyes:

Balanadan wrote: »
    The story that won't go away. Businesspeople up and down the country are watching what Fine Gael do here, the action they take, or the inaction.

I'm confident it will be the latter. Bailey has a bargaining chip, that of throwing Madigan to the wolves.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

It depends on the severity and if there is on going pain. PIAB awards for a fractured hip range from €27k (minor) up to €94k (severe, bone graft surgery required and permanent pain).

She had an operation on it but sure her health insurance would have paid for that (Im assuming barristers have health insurance here). Even if she didnt she could have got hip surgery in local hospital for free on their public system with an European Health Insurance Card, something any EU citizen can avail of if injured in another EU member state.

Time will tell what exactly she is claiming here. But if it is a case that she went skiing as a beginner and fell over as all beginners do then the media is going to have a field day here. It would be like learning how to ride a bike and you fall off and then sue the lad who sold it to you, taking no responsibilty for your own misfortune and trying to make a quick easy buck. The fact Madigans paws are on this so soon after the spurious Bailey swing case makes it even worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

You heard it here first.:cool:
    pablo128 wrote: »
    I was wondering why no other politician has jumped on this case like a tramp on a half eaten burger. Half of them are probably sweating in case their own claims surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

McCrack wrote: »
    You don't know the facts of the injury or what the particulars of negligence were in fact being alleged so you cannot make a comment on the merit of otherwise of Deirdre Conway's claim

Clearly Madigan Solicitors or Charles Boyle & Son or any solicitors practising personal injury work are going to accept instructions if there is at least a stateable case to be made - that is their business after all.

Christ, is it the "I am an adult, I was unsupervised and there were no signs up saying skiing can hurt"
    or "I have never heard of Michael Schumacher" defence ?

No there is not. I'll explain it more for you

.. If one person sues another and they withdraw or lose the case they usually will be responsible for the legal costs of the person they sued regardless what fee arrangement they might have made with their own solicitor

As a consequence 'no win, no fee' does not exist

No win no fee is not allowed to be advertised but it is still practiced.

Sure there are some T&Cs but they have to be explained to the client upfront.

"They usually will be responsible" ? Unless it is an obvious try on the judges tend not to find fees against the plaintiff when its an individual V a company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭McCrack

Shemale wrote: »
    Christ, is it the "I am an adult, I was unsupervised and there were no signs up saying skiing can hurt"
    or "I have never heard of Michael Schumacher" defence ?

No it usually comes under breach of statutory duty on the part of the occupier

How would you work out the cause of business closures? Do you expect the CSO to audit their accounts, including the insurance costs? Or just take whatever they're told and report that as fact regardless?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/ministers-45-advisers-set-to-get-increases-in-salaries-36487890.html

That’s not shocking at all. It’s Fine Gael after all.

Power over people.

• Advertisement

No it usually comes under breach of statutory duty on the part of the occupier

Based that on the assumption she rented faulty equipment or ski lift wasnt up to scratch?

Ten Pin wrote: »
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/taoiseach-government-will-nudge-people-to-change-behaviour-in-bid-to-tackle-climate-change-931207.html

But of course the Greens are loving it as they eye up another few years of trough snoiting to save the planet and ruin the country, it's 2007 all over again.

The distraction begins

• Registered Users Posts: 16,461 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Oh deary me, yet another politician is about to be outed for engaging in Irelands compo culture. Most people won't have heard of Deirdre Conroy but she is a newly elected councillor for Fianna Fail in Dublin 6, she was personally convinced to run for FF by Michael Martin himself.

Some may be aware of her as the 'Deirdre de Barra' who went public about her experience of fatal foetal abnormality before the 2002 abortion referendum. Ironic that Martin's attempt to burnish FF's newfound right-on credentials may end up reinforcing the party's older associations with gombeenism and cute hoorism.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭Sajid Javid

I was told we had a leak in the cabinet but I didn't believe it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSxuXQCEC7M

And to think of all those millions which Fine Gael, to an extent not practised by any previous Irish government, is spending on media spin, and then all this heroic work is upended by the Hugh McElvaney and Maria Bailey types of Fine Gael.

Perhaps it's time to sack the spindoctors, and their online volunteers?

And to think of all those millions which Fine Gael, to an extent not practised by any previous Irish government, is spending on media spin, and then all this heroic work is upended by the Hugh McElvaney and Maria Bailey types of Fine Gael.

Perhaps it's time to sack the spindoctors, and their online volunteers?

Their online volunteers are working after hours.

Oh dear, it seems Shatter has really tried to put the boot in.

The Indo have gone with a direct quote from him for their headline.

Taoiseach's dangerous reaction to Bailey case more befitting of a cult than a political party'

I have to agree, it's very cult like altogether, and I've being saying it all along, I think David Kennedy's report might have turned into Pandora's box for Leo, load of stuff in it he doesn't want to see himself, never mind let us plebs have a gander at.

Skid marked knickers aplenty that he won't air in public.

Oh dear, it seems Shatter has really tried to put the boot in.

The Indo have gone with a direct quote from him for their headline.

Taoiseach's dangerous reaction to Bailey case more befitting of a cult than a political party'

Christ almighty, our candidates tell us, we bury it as much as we can and spin away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Do they? Are you privy to the fee arrangement agreed between Maria Bailey and her own solicitors?

Legal fees are as much a part of the problem as the dodgy claims.

Take Farrell's claim where liability wasn't even contested. While he was awarded a token €2500 his legal fees were a multiple of that and had to be covered by Hertz.

The real winners from the dodgy claims game played by "the best of people" are the Josepha Madigans in the legal profession. The losers, the honest ordinary people (not the best of people) who don't make or support dodgy claims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It depends on the severity and if there is on going pain. PIAB awards for a fractured hip range from €27k (minor) up to €94k (severe, bone graft surgery required and permanent pain).

She had an operation so you can be sure that the award would be closer to the upper end of the scale. You'd get €27k for a feckin sprain these days, and I'm being 100% serious. I've seen it several times.
    She had an operation on it but sure her health insurance would have paid for that (Im assuming barristers have health insurance here). Even if she didnt she could have got hip surgery in local hospital for free on their public system with an European Health Insurance Card, something any EU citizen can avail of if injured in another EU member state.
    The medical costs are only one part of a claim.

If she went to court and won, she'd more than likely get general damages, special damages and costs.

General damages are compensation for physical or mental pain and suffering and generally increase if there is impairment or loss of function or if the quality of life is reduced following an accident.

Special damages are your out of pocket expense such as medical expenses, physio, etc. I'm assuming that she couldn't drive so taxis to medical appointments etc. could be counted. Loss of earnings are also included in Special damages.

Special damages can also include future loss of earnings. An example of this might be that I'm a block layer who earns €1000 per week but as a result of my injury, I can't lay blocks any more. I now can only work in a Spar and earn €500 per week. So I'm down €500 per week. Therefore I've a loss of €500 per week. Now say I'm 40. So I've 28 more years of work where I'm at a loss of €500 per week. 28 x 52 x €500. That adds up to quite a substantial sum.

It's not quite as simple as that example because you'd be unlikely to get everything that you look for but that's just to give you an idea of what solicitors/barristers look for when it comes to court.

And costs, that is her legal costs and they can be very substantial, especially with high court cases. This include solicitor/barrister fees, medical reports, engineer reports etc.

By the way, a Barrister is normally self-employed and there is no obligation on them to have health insurance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement