Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mods, could this thread be moved to the new “Current Affairs” forum, please?

The stench of mouth-breathing from the last couple of pages is starting to stink the place up.

Mod note: Threads will be moves as appropriate. Report the post and mods will have a look at whether it merits moving or not. CA isn't going to be a dumping ground for all manner of thread so give a reason in your report why it should be moved.

The second paragraph, well that has no place in a discussion. Be civil or expect to receive an infraction. Same applies to all posting.

Buford T. Justice

• Registered Users Posts: 10,747 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Mod note: Threads will be moves as appropriate. Report the post and mods will have a look at whether it merits moving or not. CA isn't going to be a dumping ground for all manner of thread so give a reason in your report why it should be moved.

The second paragraph, well that has no place in a discussion. Be civil or expect to receive an infraction. Same applies to all posting.

Buford T. Justice

Apologies, B.

I assumed, obviously incorrectly, that the new CA forum was there to take in these sort of threads and to cut down on the over zealous, almost “bot-like”, posting ad infinitum about “dis and tat”, regarding “loosers” in other political parties, so the more normal AH reader wouldn’t have to endure it.

I, respectfully, withdraw my comment about the “mouth breathing”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Buford T. Justice

Apologies, B.

I assumed, obviously incorrectly, that the new CA forum was there to take in these sort of threads and to cut down on the over zealous, almost “bot-like”, posting ad infinitum about “dis and tat”, regarding “loosers” in other political parties, so the more normal AH reader wouldn’t have to endure it.

I, respectfully, withdraw my comment about the “mouth breathing”.
    Are you drunk?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Are you drunk?

High on chite fumes maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Has the SC's report on this incident been published yet?.

Amazing that all the FG spinners haven't put this to bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

nuac wrote: »

They are focusing on who the whistleblower is, it's obviously taking a little longer to find someone to blame than to get at the facts but priorities an all that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭Sajid Javid

RustyNut wrote: »
    They are focusing on who the whistleblower is, it's obviously taking a little longer to find someone to blame than to get at the facts but priorities an all that.

So its a who done it kinda thing?
    If Leo need advice on that one God help us all.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭JPCN1

nuac wrote: »

I would imagine it'll be held back until summer recess in the hope it'll get buried but I can't see it going away and the drip drip will really begin hurt FG.

MM must be watching with glee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

JPCN1 wrote: »
    I would imagine it'll be held back until summer recess in the hope it'll get buried but I can't see it going away and the drip drip will really begin hurt FG.

MM must be watching with glee.

I don't know why they are taking so long, its not like they are busy doing the day job.

Yay for new politics.
    Almost half the Cabinet has failed to turn up in the Dáil for topical questions this year — despite a pledge by the Government that debates would be revamped and junior ministers would not just read scripts.

Figures obtained by the Irish Examiner reveal that Health Minister Simon Harris and Housing Minister Eoghan Murphy are the worst offenders — attending just one such debate out of a total 63.

Details for the first half of this year show that seven Cabinet members sent their junior ministers to answer Dáil questions instead of them during 74 topical debates. These debates are designed to address mainly local concerns for TDs or particular problems relating to crime, spending or services.

A breakdown of attendance records for topical debates for senior ministers between January 15 and May 14 shows Mr Harris attended none out of 49 listed for him, sending junior ministers instead.

This week as she was taking questions about children in pain with scoliosis waiting months for treatment, junior minister Catherine Byrne told the Dáil she didn’t know where Mr Harris was or what she could say. she told stunned TDs:

I did not know up to two hours ago whether or not I would be taking this. I do not know whether or not what I suggest is possible

Records show that Mr Murphy attended one Dáil topical debate out of 14 during the half year. Others failed to attend any such debates, including Foreign Affairs Minister Simon Coveney (0/3), Finance and Public Expenditure Minister Paschal Donohoe (0/7), Defence Minister Leo Varadkar (0/1) and Business Minister Heather Humphreys (0/1).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

There's a certain irony coming from all of this.

Here we have a man who launched an entire campaign urging people to rat out anyone they suspected of cheating out welfare system (he even over inflated the figures on how much was going on)

And he's now gone all Columbo on finding out who ratted out one of his own cheating the insurance system.

You couldn't make it up.:D:

Yp8BgKh.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

RustyNut wrote: »

So correct me if I am wrong.

We have not one but four FG politicians (3 TD's and 1 MEP) being named in controversy involving insurance claims.

Coincidentally, three of the four were apparently supporters of Coveney during the FG leadership battle two years ago.

As was Maria Bailey's friend Kate O'Connell TD. Coincidentally, it was Kate's brother in law, Hugh O'Connell who broke the whole Maria Bailey story. Kate seems to have distanced herself, even apparently changing her facebook homepage picture with Maria Bailey (after Maria had a nightmare interview with Sean O'Rourke).

As we know, whilst Coveney won the membership vote in the leadership contest, he lost on the TD/Senators vote which had been given a 60% weighting in the overall ballot.

Now Varadkar claims to be hunting for a leak ?

Suckit wrote: »
    Yp8BgKh.jpg

It's mad that Leo has let this rumble on for so long now with no decisive action either way.

The independent covering it today again, taking a few swipes at FG, who appear to be under the impression that whoever leaked the story is more worrying to them than the story itself.
    Yesterday, it emerged that Mr Kennedy had written directly to the Irish Independent asking if it would reveal how it became aware of the case and obtained court documents.

The newspaper said it would not be co-operating with an internal Fine Gael investigation.

On Twitter, Independent Newspapers Editor-in-Chief Fionnan Sheahan described the request as "disturbing" and said he hoped it would be "withdrawn swiftly" by Fine Gael. The party has not commented on why the review is focusing on the source of the story.

Very secret society cult like altogether, especially from a crew who claim to want to stamp out compo chancers, and the affect they have on small businesses.

I'd say there's friction going on behind the stiff upper lip the public are seeing.

Wouldn't be surprised if privately, Bailey and Madigan are pariah's now, with people concerned they'll back the wrong horse.

Blame game starting to emerge, also from the article.
    During her infamous radio interview Ms Bailey said she was told by her legal team that she had a "clear-cut" case against the Dean Hotel after she fell from a swing.

The first-time TD was being represented by Madigans Solicitors which is the former practice of Culture Minister Josepha Madigan.

Ms Madigan's brother currently runs the legal firm which was established by her father.

Sources close to the minister have said the firm did not tell Ms Bailey she had a "clear-cut" case.

Going by her interview, Bailey's not the fizziest can in the fridge, so unfortunately for her, I'd say Madigans got the brains to better cover her tracks on this, than Bailey does.

However...... You'd have to wonder if Bailey's any pictorial evidence of whom accompanied her to Sophie's on that fateful night, and witnessed the fall?

Surely not the same solicitor who told her to press charges?

Presently, support for FG is support for insurance fraud, and the circle of wagons going on to protect those behind it, and clamp down on those who leaked it to the public.

Fcuking Gougers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I hope none of the regular FG concert-goers turned up at Lana Del Rey last night in Malahide Castle, it could have resurfaced memories that they had locked away.. (no supervisor, and no sign of any instructions near her).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

It's mad that Leo has let this rumble on for so long now with no decisive action either way.

The independent covering it today again, taking a few swipes at FG, who appear to be under the impression that whoever leaked the story is more worrying to them than the story itself.

Very secret society cult like altogether, especially from a crew who claim to want to stamp out compo chancers, and the affect they have on small businesses.

I'd say there's friction going on behind the stiff upper lip the public are seeing.

Wouldn't be surprised if privately, Bailey and Madigan are pariah's now, with people concerned they'll back the wrong horse.

Blame game starting to emerge, also from the article.

Going by her interview, Bailey's not the fizziest can in the fridge, so unfortunately for her, I'd say Madigans got the brains to better cover her tracks on this, than Bailey does.

However...... You'd have to wonder if Bailey's any pictorial evidence of whom accompanied her to Sophie's on that fateful night, and witnessed the fall?

Surely not the same solicitor who told her to press charges?

Presently, support for FG is support for insurance fraud, and the circle of wagons going on to protect those behind it, and clamp down on those who leaked it to the public.

Fcuking Gougers.

The independent clearly are no longer under the control of certain pro FG individuals.

Shows the value of independent media.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Suckit wrote: »
    I hope none of the regular FG concert-goers turned up at Lana Del Rey last night in Malahide Castle, it could have resurfaced memories that they had locked away.. (no supervisor, and no sign of any instructions near her).

I was there and that's the first thing I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Shows the value of independent media.

Also shows the effect that it apparently had on the Indo. Seems to be a complete 180 in recent weeks. I'd actually rate them higher than the rest given the change.

Would make you wonder about the state of the rest of our media.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Also shows the effect that it had on the Indo. Seems to be a complete 180 in recent weeks.

A fair point and something we should all ask and wonder about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Also shows the effect that it apparently had on the Indo. Seems to be a complete 180 in recent weeks. I'd actually rate them higher than the rest given the change.

It's about time one of the media outlets started to be a different voice in Ireland.....the rest of the media are just lapdogs.....pushing out the same pro governments**t

You'd have to wonder who in FG pissed them off?

Or..... Tbf to the Indo, they've been pushing an anti compo culture now for what seems like ages.

Might be a case that they simply don't like chancers and Gougers, especially when they're minister's or TDs from political partys who proclaim to be steadfast against such fcukerty.

It's been close to a month now with the negative press about them, you'll still get the odd shill popping in here to whine about people talking about it, wanting it shunted off to different forums, and questioning if people have nothing better to do with their time than talk about politicians involved in possible corruption.

Then they'll scurry back to add to their already 100s of posts about defecation, and the sounds, smells and colours their bodies omit.

Because that's somehow more constructive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

pinkyeye wrote: »
    Tbf just because someone had an insurance claim we can't automatically assume that it was fraudulent?

Not talking about Bailey now because we know that was fraudulent but to start dragging up every claim anyone ever made and assuming it's fraudulent is going too far.

How unlucky do you think FG TDs compared with the lay person?

I have been in four cars involved in RTAs and knocked down as a kid but even though exercise was off the cards for a year after the worst one I never suffered the kind of debilitating injuries suffered by the poor FG craythurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

storker wrote: »
    I think Leo's spent too much time patting himself on the back for being the gay Taoiseach. That's not to say that having a gay Taoiseach is a bad thing, but being the gay Taoiseach isn't his job. Being the Taoiseach is.

I've never heard him mention the gay thing other than when threw his weight behind the referendum by coming out.

I find him weak and self serving though and the kylie letter was embarrassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    It's about time one of the media outlets started to be a different voice in Ireland.....the rest of the media are just lapdogs.....pushing out the same pro governments**t

I spent a lot of time listening to Newstalk radio but just gave in last year as it had become ridiculous in terms of pro government spin. Pity as there really isn't much fair and balanced reporting in Ireland tbh,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Looks like FG'ers have gotten their wishes and this story has fallen off a cliff. Brass neck it out the Irish way.

Looks like FG'ers have gotten their wishes and this story has fallen off a cliff. Brass neck it out the Irish way.

I don't think so. It was trending on twitter again Saturday. The story isn't going away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

It got a mention in yesterday's Indo.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

if you want this story to be maintained, keep clicking on those articles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Quite unbelievable that the person investigating the matter thought the Indo would reveal its source for the court case. Arrogance or stupidity hard to know which.

Ye wha?

Still on the front pages of today's Indo.

Brand new article:

FG hunt for source of swing story 'entirely inappropriate', says union

And it seems they've not only managed to piss off people being crucified with extortionate insurance premiums.

They've also pissed off the National Union of Journalists.
    In recent days Mr Kennedy wrote to this newspaper requesting to know the origins of the story.

"I wonder can you tell me how you heard about the case, and obtained a copy of the pleadings?" Mr Kennedy said.

The Irish Independent will not be co-operating with an internal Fine Gael probe, a move that has now been backed by the National Union of Journalists.

Irish secretary of the NUJ Seamus Dooley said the Government party should not expect reporters to divulge sources.

"It is not unreasonable to expect that the focus of the investigation would be the conduct of a TD and whether her behaviour was consistent with her office and the party code of ethics.

"The request for media assistance in revealing the source of the leak is entirely inappropriate at a number of levels," he said.

Mr Dooley said the right of journalists to protect confidential sources of information has been upheld by the Supreme Court and is recognised under Article 10 of the European Convention.

"I suspect An Taoiseach and his advisers may regard the request as legitimate because it was just that - a polite note seeking assistance rather than a court order, but the principle is just the same: you don't ask a journalist or media to breach their professional code of conduct or waive their rights for political expediency."

Leos auld spin unit would have come in handy in days like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Quite unbelievable that the person investigating the matter thought the Indo would reveal its source for the court case. Arrogance or stupidity hard to know which.

Or more likely an attempt to intimidate and deter whistleblowers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement