Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

No, he's quite right.

Did you hear Varadkar being interviewed by Brendan O'connor on the Marian Finucane Show, the weekend before last?

He described Bailey as up-and-coming, one of the more promising backbenchers. She occupies a politically valuable seat in Dun Laoghaire, and she comes from a respected FG family (that is to say, respected within FG).

I'm not a FGer, and have never in my life voted FG, but barring some major scoop I reckon this is indeed all over, and Bailey's career path is on track.

This matter is still a major topic, and will remain so. Every hike in an insurance premium will remind people.

Has the SC reported yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I'd take them over Eoghan Murphy and Simon Harris any day of the week.

You're welcome to them. And, to show that I'm a good sort, I'll even throw in Eamonn O'Cuiv and Sean "Mister Angry" Fleming for free.

He's only the only alternative because the majority of the electorate keep voting for FF and FG. Anyone who regards both men as 'incompetent' needs to be looking for someone else to vote for.

I have; and the coast is completely deserted. :(

If you have a nominee then I'm all ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I thought he may have been a family friend of Bailey's tbh, he seemed to be shilling for her more than the actual fg representative.

Davin Power was the hack who tried to put a lid on the Brian Cowen being drunk on radio story, he tried to play it down likely because he was in the bar with the whole FF cabinet crew having a jolly till 3 in the morning while Rome burnt down. He also used to do Callinans bidding in the McCabe scandal once calling the allegations of Garda misconduct as a "bottle of smoke".

Anyway we are onto Day 34 of the story and it just keeps rumbling along, the Indo are not dropping it. And now Dimmy Tooley has stuck his oar in-
    A barrister hired by Taoiseach Leo Varadkar wants to find out how information about her fall from a swing at the Dean Hotel found its way into the media.But the inquiry has been criticised by the National Union of Journalists, and now Fianna Fáil has called for it to be dropped altogether.

Opposition spokesman on communications Dimmy Tooley said it "actually beggars belief" that a party of government would seek to undermine media reporting in the public interest. "I think defies logic for a political party to expect any media organisation to breach the journalistic privilege," Mr Tooley said.

He said it would be "more in Fine Gael's line to establish what role, if any, Minister Josepha Madigan played in advising her colleague".
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/pressure-mounting-on-fine-gael-to-drop-its-probe-into-bailey-leak-38250647.html

Plus the Madigan link isnt going away either. All the while Leo is attempting to preform a whitewash and hide behind a report instead of taking action.

Muahahaha wrote: »

Plus the Madigan link isnt going away either.

For me, that's the ticking time bomb in the middle of this sandstorm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

You're welcome to them. And, to show that I'm a good sort, I'll even throw in Eamonn O'Cuiv and Sean "Mister Angry" Fleming for free.

Fianna Fáil might not be the solution but Fine Gael are most definitely the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

For me, that's the ticking time bomb in the middle of this sandstorm.

Its definitely very explosive if details of Mother Madigans possible involvement come out. She is going to be in the news again in July when the Fianna Fail councillor Deirdre Conways High Court personal injury case comes for hearing. Despite us being told that Madigan practices Family Law it now turns out that she practices personal injury too. The only question is if she was the person who advised Maria Bailey that she had a "clear cut case".

Meanwhile Leo is shirking this mess instead of facing it head on. He is looking at four by elections that have to happen by January 2nd and his actions here do not bode well for FG having much success in those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I'd say there is serious internal strife over this in FG. All very badly handled by Leo who appears weak as a kitten. Trying to find the leak after the McCabe scandal is a very misjudged move. The front bench are not the brightest at all.

The story is simmering and will not go away easy.

On a side note, interesting developments in Waterford. They may well destroy themselves from within.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

No, he's quite right.

Did you hear Varadkar being interviewed by Brendan O'connor on the Marian Finucane Show, the weekend before last?

He described Bailey as up-and-coming, one of the more promising backbenchers. She occupies a politically valuable seat in Dun Laoghaire, and she comes from a respected FG family (that is to say, respected within FG).

I'm not a FGer, and have never in my life voted FG, but barring some major scoop I reckon this is indeed all over, and Bailey's career path is on track.

This, if true, merely adds to the story IMO.
    We were watching to see what Leo would do. Looks like entitlement and hypocrisy all round. That's the caliber of Leo's 'new politics' as a distant 'change the way we do business' fades under the echos of 'we look after our own'.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

I think it wise at this stage to wait and see what are the findings in the report ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I think it wise at this stage to wait and see what are the findings in the report ?

What report?

The one establishing the facts of the dodgy claim, or the one trying to root out a possible whistleblower?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,427 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Is that you leo?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,954 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

That'll be the epitaph for this FG government.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

What report?

The one establishing the facts of the dodgy claim, or the one trying to root out a possible whistleblower?

FG's statement regarding the Bailey investigation reads as follows:
    Fine Gael is undertaking an internal review to establish all facts in relation to a civil case which Deputy Bailey is withdrawing from the courts. The review will be undertaken by David Kennedy, Senior Counsel.

Deputy Maria Bailey has agreed to participate fully with this review. [note that there's no mention of Deputy Bailey's legal advisors!]

Presumably "all facts", means all facts, including the identity of the individual who sold poor Maria down the swanee!

I can't help wondering whether Madigan will refuse to breach solicitor-client confidentiality. If she does, then no doubt Beaker will be among the first to praise her for her principled stand! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

The report currently gathering dust on the top shelf that Leo has read and has decided not to share with the public?

The report was ready weeks ago, he as much as said it himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭AbdulAbhaile

Why are Harris and Murphy in with Bailey and Farrell.
    Bailey and Farrell lied in insurance claims.

Why is Harris in with Murphy?

In reality Bailey and Farrell are just the clown show, or at least they were at the start when Leo had a chance to nip this in the bud. He could and probably should have kicked Bailey out and maybe he could have brazened out the Farrell thing and job done, FG can't be having that sort of thing going on.

But that's not what he done, he is keeping them onside for FG party reasons and is going after the whistleblower instead. He might well sacrifice one or both of them in the immediate run up to a GE in an attempt to look like he cares but it's too little too late.

However, Harris and Murphy are the real story that this whole issue is distracting attention from.

Between the housing crisis, the trolly crisis, the waiting list for essential treatment crisis and let's not forget the MASSIVE mistake that they are ploughing ahead with by throwing good money after bad at the national children's hospital.

The insurance crisis can be relatively easily fixed but generations of young people will suffer because of the mess that is the children's hospital and the unaffordability of housing and the two ministers responsible won't even turn up in the Dáil to answer qwestions on the issues.

So swingate is serving a purpose for Leo and FG.

I voted for them and for that I feel I owe the young people an apology. It won't affect me, my next big move is retirement, its my kids and grandkids I worry for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Hopefully the full facts of the case are laid out in the report. If there is a case to answer I'm sure FG will put the right measures in place to prevent it happening in the future. That's if there was anything untoward in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,135 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Leo like Inda before him couldn't give a flying fúck.

He has "leader of a country" ticked off on his life achievements chart, he will be off looking for Tusk's job next.

Hopefully the full facts of the case are laid out in the report. If there is a case to answer I'm sure FG will put the right measures in place to prevent it happening in the future. That's if there was anything untoward in the first place.

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

If only someone closer to the case could come out and clarify things, perhaps on national radio :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

When are you playing Vicar Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,427 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Funniest thing i've read on boards this week.

If there is a case to answer I'm sure FG will put the right measures in place to prevent it happening in the future.

That's if there was anything untoward in the first place.

There wasn't! A member of the public (who happened to be a government TD) filed a claim for compo in the Circuit Court before, foolishly (in my view) backing down when the brown stuff hit the fan, thereby showing (a) that she has no guts and/or (b) that she herself knew that her claim was spurious.

If (a) then she's not fit to be a TD, and if (b) then she's not fit to be a TD. But that's a matter for her electorate to decide.

All that FG can do is remove the whip from her for conduct unbecoming of a FG public rep. - and if they did there's every chance that she'd sue them for trauma, mental anguish, discrimination, PTSD and God knows what else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

There wasn't! A member of the public (who happened to be a government TD) filed a claim for compo in the Circuit Court before, foolishly (in my view) backing down when the brown stuff hit the fan, thereby showing (a) that she has no guts and/or (b) that she herself knew that her claim was spurious.

If (a) then she's not fit to be a TD, and if (b) then she's not fit to be a TD. But that's a matter for her electorate to decide.

All that FG can do is remove the whip from her for conduct unbecoming of a FG public rep. - and if they did there's every chance that she'd sue them for trauma, mental anguish, discrimination, PTSD and God knows what else.

That doesn't cover Farrell's case. These people represent what FG stand for as we can see by the parties acceptance of their behaviour, and it's not law and order or fiscal responsibility.

Go home Paddy, you're drunk, Maureen'll have the fry on.

That doesn't cover Farrell's case. These people represent what FG stand for as we can see by the parties acceptance of their behaviour, and it's not law and order or fiscal responsibility.

But the FG review isn't addressing the Farrell claim. I'm trying to keep on topic so perhaps you could do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

lawred2 wrote: »
    God help us if she's considered 'up and coming'

I think he is talking about up off the floor in The Dean

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

How are FG letting this issue drag on so long? They really are being poorly advised of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,450 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

How are FG letting this issue drag on so long? They really are being poorly advised of late.

Tinfoil hat sitting comfortably? Here's one explanation...
    In reality Bailey and Farrell are just the clown show, or at least they were at the start when Leo had a chance to nip this in the bud. He could and probably should have kicked Bailey out and maybe he could have brazened out the Farrell thing and job done, FG can't be having that sort of thing going on.

But that's not what he done, he is keeping them onside for FG party reasons and is going after the whistleblower instead. He might well sacrifice one or both of them in the immediate run up to a GE in an attempt to look like he cares but it's too little too late.

However, Harris and Murphy are the real story that this whole issue is distracting attention from.

Between the housing crisis, the trolly crisis, the waiting list for essential treatment crisis and let's not forget the MASSIVE mistake that they are ploughing ahead with by throwing good money after bad at the national children's hospital.

The insurance crisis can be relatively easily fixed but generations of young people will suffer because of the mess that is the children's hospital and the unaffordability of housing and the two ministers responsible won't even turn up in the Dáil to answer qwestions on the issues.

So swingate is serving a purpose for Leo and FG.

I voted for them and for that I feel I owe the young people an apology. It won't affect me, my next big move is retirement, its my kids and grandkids I worry for.

• Advertisement

**It is my belief** that Madigan is heavily involved in this, Bailey has the proof of it, Bailey's passionate plea to SOR on how she worked so hard, built up a career etc etc, that she's not going to go quietly, if she goes, she'll spill the beans on Madigan.

Madigan goes, the press go to town on Madigan, and lord only knows what compo claims her paws are all over.

It's the only logical explanation imo.

FGers reading this, if you think it sounds far fetched, ask yourself how farfetched this story would have sounded 5 weeks ago, especially the bit where Leo has let it drag on.....

Time to get the dead cat of the pitch lads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement