Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

what do the courts have to do with what happens from here on in? the court case is gone.

I was using my experience of dealing with claims to show the types of things that Bailey could have argued to show that her claim had some merit.

There are rules and evidence in court. There are no rules and evidence in the court of public opinion. I'm just saying that I'd rather there was evidence of a fraudulent claim before I'd openly accuse Bailey of making a fraudulent claim, which many people on here haven't waited for. And in my opinion, the evidence for a fraudulent claim isn't there. We may suspect it, but suspecting it isn't the same as proof.

By the way, are we sure the court case is gone? Bailey has said she is discontinuing the claim, but has she lodged papers in court to say that she withdraws the allegation? If she hasn't lodged the papers, then the case hasn't gone away yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Agreed.

Which (for me) makes her gutless decision to withdraw her claim the most contemptible thing about the stupid woman!

She had a choice of letting a judge decide on whether or not she was entitled to comp0, or letting the mob decide, and she opted for mob law!

What a moron!

This is one of the better TD's on Leo's team, according to himself, you are talking about. Careful now.

golfball37 wrote: »
    She told SOR she was covered by medical insurance too. What medical expenses did she need to recoup if it didn’t cost her anything?

If you have car insurance and I crash into you from behind (my fault), why would you claim off your own insurance? You wouldn't. You'd claim off my insurance. I'd guess that is why Bailey went after the hotel. Plus, nobody believes she just wanted her medical bills paid.

PHI doesn't cover drugs and some policies don't cover GP or the full costs of physio treatment. But it seems clear that the hotel's offer to pay her medical expenses would have covered those costs.

I suspect that she'd have been looking for compo. for pain and suffering in court - and not for her medical expenses.

Fact is that she dug an gigantic hole for herself on the SOR show and has no-one to blame but herself.

€600 wouldn't go far when paying for medical expenses such as doctors visits, physio etc. We don't know what treatment she sought. You could rack up a €600 bill pretty quickly.

She was a gobsh1te to go on SOR. She did herself a heap of harm doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,427 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I was using my experience of dealing with claims to show the types of things that Bailey could have argued to show that her claim had some merit.

There are rules and evidence in court. There are no rules and evidence in the court of public opinion. I'm just saying that I'd rather there was evidence of a fraudulent claim before I'd openly accuse Bailey of making a fraudulent claim, which many people on here haven't waited for. And in my opinion, the evidence for a fraudulent claim isn't there. We may suspect it, but suspecting it isn't the same as proof.

By the way, are we sure the court case is gone? Bailey has said she is discontinuing the claim, but has she lodged papers in court to say that she withdraws the allegation? If she hasn't lodged the papers, then the case hasn't gone away yet.

One thing we do know is that she has lied about the case. She said she was only claiming medical expenses. That was a lie. She said she was unable to run afterwards. She ran 3 weeks later in a time similar to previous runs. So that was also a lie. I'm sure there are many other lies she told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

€600 wouldn't go far when paying for medical expenses such as doctors visits, physio etc. We don't know what treatment she sought. You could rack up a €600 bill pretty quickly.

She was a gobsh1te to go on SOR. She did herself a heap of harm doing that.

Has she said how much she was claiming for medical expenses? Would the district court not have been the appropriate court if she wasn't trying to milk it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

RustyNut wrote: »
    This is one of the better TD's on Leo's team, according to himself, you are talking about. Careful now.

As if Bailey hadn't got enough problems of her own, trust Leo to apply the Judas kiss!

smurgen wrote: »
    I wonder do FG supporters here describe revenue as a mob when they're pursuing people for welfare fraud?

I strongly doubt it. You see, the vast majority of FG supporters would be aware that the Revenue Commissioners have got absolutely nothing to do with pursuing Welfare fraudsters.

One thing we do know is that she has lied about the case. She said she was only claiming medical expenses. That was a lie. She said she was unable to run afterwards. She ran 3 weeks later in a time similar to previous runs. So that was also a lie. I'm sure there are many other lies she told.

Yes, I don't believe that she only wanted medical expenses. But I'd stop a wee bit short of calling it an outright lie though because I don't know exactly what she was claiming for in court.

She can at least claim that she wasn't able to run for three weeks after the accident so there's no proof of a lie there.

Look, we suspect she was lying, but saying something that is inaccurate isn't necessarily lying. She could have been mistaken. Do I think she was mistaken, no, I don't think that. But I can't say with 100% certainty that she was lying.

RustyNut wrote: »
    Has she said how much she was claiming for medical expenses? Would the district court not have been the appropriate court if she wasn't trying to milk it?

Probably. I doubt her medical expenses would have exceeded the max of the district court. But like I said earlier, I don't think she was just after her medical expenses.

I don't think she made public how much her medical expenses were.

• Advertisement

Yes, I don't believe that she only wanted medical expenses. But I'd stop a wee bit short of calling it an outright lie though because I don't know exactly what she was claiming for in court.

If she was only claiming her medical expenses she would have not have brought it to the circuit court. So she was lying when she said she was only looking for her medical expenses.
    She can at least claim that she wasn't able to run for three weeks after the accident so there's no proof of a lie there.

Look, we suspect she was lying, but saying something that is inaccurate isn't necessarily lying. She could have been mistaken. Do I think she was mistaken, no, I don't think that. But I can't say with 100% certainty that she was lying.

if she wasn't able to run at all in the three weeks before the race she would not have come anywhere near the time she did. So i'm pretty happy to say she lied about that as well.

There was no "mob" involved when Farrell withdrew his claim for damage to his car. I'm of the opinion that both cases were withdrawn because they couldn't be supported by evidence.

But yea blame the mob, the press, the whistleblower or anyone except the people involved.

I'll blame whoever I like - with or without your permission.

Have you a crush on Farrell? Because you appear to have a craving to drag him into the Bailey thread at every conceivable opportunity. Perhaps you should seek help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Prime Time have released a little 5 min video on facebook.

More or less backing up the government and blaming the judges, saying the government can do nothing.

https://www.facebook.com/RTEPrimeTime/videos/489715611835548/

A load of bulls**t. But looks like the PR machine from FG is up and running.....

Also says the insurance companies are making money!!!!

RTE really are the lapdogs for the Government

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

I'll blame whoever I like - with or without your permission.

Have you a crush on Farrell? Because you appear to have a craving to drag him into the Bailey thread at every conceivable opportunity. Perhaps you should seek help.

Yeah, I mean they're in no way related at all.. none, definitely not. :rolleyes:.

If she was only claiming her medical expenses she would have not have brought it to the circuit court. So she was lying when she said she was only looking for her medical expenses.

if she wasn't able to run at all in the three weeks before the race she would not have come anywhere near the time she did. So i'm pretty happy to say she lied about that as well.

No argument with you on either point. But us suspecting it doesn't make it proof.

No argument with you on either point. But us suspecting it doesn't make it proof.

who needs proof? again, this is not going to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Nice one.

Where the thread belongs.

particularly now people are trying to kill it by assertion.

WHERES THE REPORT LEO?

"Well we'd really love to show you the report but that's not the done thing...."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/varadkar-on-swinggate-not-the-norm-of-any-party-to-publish-internal-party-inquiry-results-933077.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

givyjoe wrote: »
    Yeah, I mean they're in no way related at all.. none, definitely not. :rolleyes:.

When you can't play the ball, play the man. A strong whiff of desperation really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Proof is at the heart of the whole issue.

Bailey and Farrell were hoping to never have to prove anything and when push came to shove they couldn't.

Bang a claim in and hope that being among the "best of people" their dodgy claims wouldn't be questioned. It didn't work out to well for them.

A win for the honest little man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Leo just signed his own political death warrant with that comment.

They really are working from a long obsolete playbook.

He really thinks people are going to forget this debacle and not hold FG to account?

As others have said, whatever is contained in that report obviously goes much deeper as it comes to the involvement of others and the players involved have clearly leveraged and threatened whatever revelations they can make if they’re removed.

This is going to backfire on him spectacularly.

He should have gotten out in front of this in the very first instance.

Too late now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

He really thinks people are going to forget this debacle and not hold FG to account?

As others have said, whatever is contained in that report obviously goes much deeper as it comes to the involvement of others and the players involved have clearly leveraged and threatened whatever revelations they can make if they’re removed.

Too late now.

Maybe he's right, I mean who are we to demand transparency from the political class.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Maybe he's right, I mean who are we to demand transparency from the political class.

In an ideal world they’d be transparent to begin with and the idea of protecting the party and control of their role in government would be a distant concern. As it stands it’s the other way around.

This is cute hoor protect our own gombeen politics writ large.

Remember it next time any of them slag off the Healy Raes.

Those in FG are no better. In fact they’re worse

givyjoe wrote: »

As far as I know they're not. Bailey comes from somewhere in Dun Laoghaire whereas Farrell is from Malahide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

As far as I know they're not. Bailey comes from somewhere in Dun Laoghaire whereas Farrell is from Malahide.
    Wow obviously their conduct forms the point of connection rather than biology.
    It might be nice to think that the genes that prompt someone to lie on an insurance affidavit and to become an FG TD could be identified and corrected but that's a fantasy at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Fair enough, so Mick Lowry gets my no.1!

And my number 2 will go to Mattie McGrath.

Happy now?

A vote for FG is a vote for Lowry anyway, he's in the party in all but name.
    Floppybits wrote: »
    Doesn't matter now, Leo the Liar has just said that the report is unlikely to be published and that he didn't instigate the witch hunt for the whistleblower.

Enda was the liar, Leo is a spin merchant. At least you could get a laugh out of Enda's tall tales.

Both are two chancers, FG chancers, who put in claims that many of the public view as spurious. Do you see the connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Both are two chancers, FG chancers, who put in claims that many of the public view as spurious. Do you see the connection?
    I don't think xer does. Xer seems to have Eoghan Murphy levels of intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Oh that report will see the light of day… one way or another.

But Varadkar is a dead man walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

mad muffin wrote: »
    Oh that report will see the light of day… one way or another.

But Varadkar is a dead man walking.

A dead man walking because of this? That’s an incredibly naive and indeed slightly delusional opinion. It’s very much a nonissue for most people - Brexit, Health service strike etc far more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

A dead man walking because of this? That’s an incredibly naive and indeed slightly delusional opinion. It’s very much a nonissue for most people - Brexit, Health service strike etc far more important.

No. Not just because of this…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The proof element is a bit of a red herring, I mean bailey admitted live on air that she wasn't using a swing the way most of us have been taught to use one (with both hands on each roap/chain etc) by saying she had a beer in her hand and a was reaching for wine with the other hand, when pressed on this blunder , and asked straight out if she had something in each hand, she doubled down on it, answering that it would have been up to s judge to adjudicate on, like WTAF, either she had or she hadn't.

Then the other blatant spoofs about not being able to run "at all" and when the incident even happened, she said they were "wrong" and were going to be corrected if/when/before they went before s court, "as is the plaintiffs right" - to me reads you can say whatever the hell you like in an affidavit in an attempt to shake someone down in an insurance claim, if they pay out before courts? Well then it isn't a lie at all.

Bailey denied herself the chance to be exonerated, which is weird.

Too late now.

Leo be grand, he's his beady little eyes on a top EU job according to an indo article today.

Varadkar admits he is 'flattered' but rules out seeking top EU job

That headline, roughly translated means he's definitely not ruling it out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement