Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

A dead man walking because of this? That’s an incredibly naive and indeed slightly delusional opinion. It’s very much a nonissue for most people - Brexit, Health service strike etc far more important.

Yeah, and what a stellar job he's doing in all the other areas :rolleyes:

I was actually a fan (I use the term lightly, I'm not really a fan of any politician), and I thought he might actually do a good job. At least he would be an improvement over Enda.. but christ that couldn't be further from the case. The chap just does not seem to have a clue, I don't think I've seen or heard him make a decisive decision on ANY issue. This fiasco is just another example of his failed leadership, if you can even call what he does as leadership. The fact that he/FG seem more concerned with finding out who leaked the details, rather than the shambles Bailey herself, is utterly depressing. So yes, anyone with any kind of sense won't be voting for him in the next GE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The proof element is a bit of a red herring, I mean bailey admitted live on air that she wasn't using a swing the way most of us have been taught to use one (with both hands on each roap/chain etc) by saying she had a beer in her hand and a was reaching for some with the other hand, when pressed on this blunder , and asked straight out if she had something in each hand, she doubled down on it, answering that it would have been up to s judge to adjudicate on, like WTAF, either she had or she hadn't.

Then the other blatant spoofs about not being able to run "at all" and when the incident even happened, she said they were "wrong" and were going to be corrected if/when/before they went before s court, "as is the plaintiffs right" - to me reads you can say whatever the hell you like in an affidavit in an attempt to shake someone down in an insurance claim, if they pay out before courts? Well then it isn't a lie at all.

Bailey denied herself the chance to be exonerated, which is weird.

Leo be grand, he's his beady little eyes on a top EU job according to an indo article today.

Varadkar admits he is 'flattered' but rules out seeking top EU job

That headline, roughly translated means he's definitely not ruling out out.
    We heard the nonsense trotted out about Enda aswell.If Europe thought either Enda or Leo were of any use they would be already out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

We heard the nonsense trotted out about Enda aswell.If Europe thought either Enda or Leo were of any use they would be already out there.

Reminds me or the arguments for paying Gerry Ryan and Pat Kenny the big bucks, seemingly the BBC and the like were trying to poach them and we should appreciate them all the more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Does the Renua party still exist?
    Just curious, I only heard of them that one time and then they seem to have disappeared.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Timing works out not too bad. Presume the report will be relatively bland. Won't be earth shattering. Will recommend that elected members disclose any planned proceedings to party HQ in advance.

Report will be released mid July. Just before the summer recess. It'll all be long long forgotten about come September when brexit is back on the news.

That's quite naïve thinking.

FG cannot win here. If they try and stretch to the summer recess it will be seen as very cynical move and yet another FG target will be missed (a date this time).

People have lost interest in Brexit because it not's tangible in any way yet and it has gone on way too long.

However the Bailey story is extremely tangible. As I said before the Bailey and Farrell cases will be remembered every time a voter is paying through the nose for car or house or particularly business insurance.

Fine Gael is taking money from people's pockets by not addressing insurance fraud and corruption. It's hugely damaging. This soft-on-fraud tag will stick to FG for a long long time.

When the report does come out, it is open season again. I wonder who will defend her actions on Radio 1 next time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

I'll blame whoever I like - with or without your permission.

Have you a crush on Farrell? Because you appear to have a craving to drag him into the Bailey thread at every conceivable opportunity. Perhaps you should seek help.

You wouldn't be his election agent? Because you appear to have a craving to keep his name out of the story about FG TD's and their dodgy claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

What is in this report?
    Is the reason why Maria Bailey made this claim connected with childhood trauma? What is the nature of that Trauma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Prime Time have released a little 5 min video on facebook.

More or less backing up the government and blaming the judges, saying the government can do nothing.

https://www.facebook.com/RTEPrimeTime/videos/489715611835548/

A load of bulls**t. But looks like the PR machine from FG is up and running.....

Also says the insurance companies are making money!!!!

RTE really are the lapdogs for the Government

And vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

I strongly doubt it. You see, the vast majority of FG supporters would be aware that the Revenue Commissioners have got absolutely nothing to do with pursuing Welfare fraudsters.
    I hope the FG'rs are a little more honest when dealing with revenue than the are when dealing with insurance companies.

I hope the FG'rs are a little more honest when dealing with revenue than the are when dealing with insurance companies.

You know FG went 9 years without paying any taxes, so they've previous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of Bailey and I hope she loses her seat but in answer to your points above:

1. We don't know what was on the CCTV. It may have shown wrongdoing by Bailey but if the hotel also did something wrong, Bailey would probably win her case but lose some of her compensation due to contributory negligence. The bar is set much higher for the hotel than it is for a customer so the hotel would be punished more than Bailey. Dropping the claim due to negative publicity also isn't proof that her claim was fraudulent.

2. Legally speaking, Bailey was in no way obligated to accept medical expenses. The law allows for her to also seek compensation so again, she did nothing wrong there.

3. Nobody believes that she only wanted her medical expenses covered. I don't believe she only wanted her medical expenses covered.

4. I don't know the nature of the injuries alleged in her medical reports but I'd guess the Circuit court was the correct place to lodge the claim. Just because she lodged the claim in the Circuit court in no way guarantees that she'd get anywhere near €60k.

5. Again that is only proof that she had somewhat recovered in three weeks. And she could say that she was still sore after the race. It's not a personal injury case-killer. There's still the three week period where she could claim that she couldn't run.

6. You don't have to spend the €6k medical expenses in the three weeks. Doctors often give a long term prognosis of maybe 6 to 9 months to a full recovery. That could mean 6 - 9 months of doctors visits, physio etc.

And here's another point. Just because you can do a 10k run doesn't mean that you are fully recovered. Maybe her injury only plays up when she is at rest and running actually relieves the symptoms. I've seen that kind of thing argued in court. Of course this is all speculation. I'm only talking about the types of things that are argued in claims against us.

7. When did she return the €600? I doubt it's guilt. Not many TD's suffer from that complex.

8. Yep, she made a boo-boo. But like I said in point 1, even if she did wrongdoing, maybe the hotel did too.

9. I 100% agree with you on this one, but the laws surrounding health and safety don't make sense to the average joe soap.

My point was to highlight lies / errors on her behalf:
    1) We dont but the timing is suspicious
    2) Absolutely not, she was claiming she only wanted expenses (bollox imo)
    3) Totally agree
    4) She claims she wanted €7k medical expenses, District Court is the place for sub €15k awards (more bollox), 15k - 60k is Circuit, why go here if looking for 7k
    5) If you can run an entire 10k 3 weeks after such awful accident in a decent time you are probably sufficently recovered all the same
    6) You dont but the bulk of physio was probably out of the way given her impressive 10k
    7) https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/td-bailey-rejected-600-from-hotel-to-pay-her-medical-bill-after-swing-fall-38143356.html
    8) Yes that is possible, especially as they put grips on the seat at a later date. My 3 year old knows he will fall off a swing if he doesnt hold on with both hands
    9) I worked in insurance for years and have seen some terrible awards in my time. At the same time a TD has stated in records that go into public domain if it goes to court that "I need instructions and supervision on a swing"

This is from today, shows plenty of detail:

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/fgs-probe-into-bailey-swing-claim-nears-end-and-includes-dossier-of-coverage-by-media-38254415.html

"The court filing by Ms Bailey's solicitors reveals that in addition to general damages", so complete bollox about looking for medical expenses only.

MRI and xray found nothings, smells like a try on to me

I strongly doubt it. You see, the vast majority of FG supporters would be aware that the Revenue Commissioners have got absolutely nothing to do with pursuing Welfare fraudsters.

There is an awful whiff of someone getting stung working while claiming disability....

BattleCorp wrote: »

I don't think she made public how much her medical expenses were.

She said 7k or 8k on SOR and that was all she wanted, her medical

As far as I know they're not. Bailey comes from somewhere in Dun Laoghaire whereas Farrell is from Malahide.

Jesus Christ, such a **** attempt of humour.

All relatives live in the same town together, forever :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

mickdw wrote: »
    There must be a whole mountain of sh1t just under the surface waiting to bust out. Leo is just about holding it all back by keeping all sides on boards.ie

Why would he keep them all on boards.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Bet shes sorry she didn't just jump on a trampoline :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Any politician with half a brain would get out in front of this and not just respond to a random question from small fry regional paper

He hasn’t

What does that tell us

He knows the indo are on it like a pitbulll with a bone.

Get out in front and own it.

He hasn’t.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

In fairness to Leo, once Ms Bailey gave that car-crash interview it was hard to get our ahead of the story.
    imho on hearing that interview Leo should have handed her the political equivalent of a loaded revolver and bottle of whiskey.
    The energetic spinning here by or on behalf of FG just digs a deeper hole

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

nuac wrote: »
    In fairness to Leo, once Ms Bailey gave that car-crash interview it was hard to get our ahead of the story.
    imho on hearing that interview Leo should have handed her the political equivalent of a loaded revolver and bottle of whiskey.

The spinning here has been quite apparent. They hired interns it seems.
    The. You remember there’s two bodies called young Fine Gael and young Fianna Fáil. And you despair.
    They have minions and they’re on the way up unchallenged and full of notions

No doubt at all Bailey was among their number in her day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Could he come out now and claim that having allowed for due process and assessing the report he now has no confidence his td, essentially, if belatedly loading the revolver and cracking the lid on the Jameson?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Could he come out now and claim that having allowed for due process and assessing the report he now has no confidence his td, essentially, if belatedly loading the revolver and cracking the lid on the Jameson?

I don't think so, his complete and utter inaction has left him boxed into a corner, much like a rat.

To top it off, he now has bullying allegations to contend with to accompany the insurance fraud allegations.

Enda would have had this all sorted a half hour after it broke. Leo reeks of inexperience and incompetence, be surprised if the old guard within the blueshirts put up with it for much longer.

Leo is having a hard time of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

A dead man walking because of this? That’s an incredibly naive and indeed slightly delusional opinion. It’s very much a nonissue for most people - Brexit, Health service strike etc far more important.

People are being crippled by year on year insurance cost rises, I know folk who have 20+ years claim free driving yet their premiums have doubled in the space of five years. The compo culture that Fine Gael TDs engage in is most certainly an issue, especially when people are being hit directly in the pocket and businesses are closing down and jobs are being lost because of scam artists like Bailey and Farrell.

For someone who puts himself out there as being PR savvy Leo really comes across as clueless on this whole mess. Enda might have been a muppet but when anyone brought political heat to his doorstep he cut them loose pretty quick- Phil Hogan shoved off the Europe, Callinan and Shatter dispatched in a night of long knives, Richard Bruton outmaneuvered and put back in his box, Lucinda Creighton chucked out and a strategy put in place to make her lose her seat. Leo by comparison looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights. Whats worse is it is pretty obvious he is going to let Bailey off the hook. Thats his prerogative but then he shouldnt be surprised when Fine Gael get labelled as the party of insurance fraudsters who are cheating us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Bet shes sorry she didn't just jump on a trampoline :)

Her daughter anyway…

thats if she has one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Muahahaha wrote: »
    ...Phil Hogan shoved off the Europe,...

In fairness, that was Hogans reward for having to be the fecker that brought in water charges. They were good buddies.

This is an old article on Hogans well paid gig in Brussels.

https://www.thejournal.ie/phil-hogan-salary-eu-commissioner-1665311-Sep2014/

Leo's best move is to come out and say the claim was withdrawn and although some of us might have our opinions the matter is closed, we've addressed the matter internally etc. etc.
    ....otherwise it's the death of a thousand cuts. I don't think hes any PR skills at all which is unfortunate for someone with so little to offer who might think he does. The people like a cute hoor not a vacuous smart arse.

The people like a cute hoor not a vacuous smart arse.

The Healy-Rae dynasty exemplify the "cute hoor", having never lost an election. Leo has all the savvy of a seal on shore leave, underestimating the public doesn't bode well for longevity.

The Healy-Rae dynasty exemplify the "cute hoor", having never lost an election. Leo has all the savvy of a seal on shore leave, underestimating the public doesn't bode well for longevity.

If Ireland's future is between the Healy-Reas and Varadkar, the last words can only be given to that man in the dock back in 1867, after he had just been sentenced to death: God Save Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Theres a whole world of difference between Healey Rae's and veruka. Even DHR could sell veruka, and he 'd never realise he was for sale
    Cute has many many meanings !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

So Leo has told the plebs to feck off and mind their own business.
    Asked whether Fine Gael will publish the final report when it is completed in the next week or so, the Taoiseach said he would not.

The public who are faced with rising insurance premiums each and every day will be reminded why their costs are in part rising (compo culture) and how the government thinks it's not one iota of their business that one of their own is engaging in it - Leo thinks it's none of their concern, but will then ask for a nod come election time.

The Indo look like keeping this at the fore. (no matter what our amigos proclaim) with another article in this morning's edition.
    There has been huge public interest in the case since it was revealed Ms Bailey ran a 10km race just three weeks after the fall at The Dean Hotel in July 2015, despite claims in court papers that she was unable to run "at all" for three months.

The claim also alleged the hotel was negligent because the swing was unsupervised.

A string of Fine Gael ministers said the controversy hurt their local election campaign.

But Mr Varadkar said: "It is an internal party inquiry, and it's not the norm of any party to publish the results of their internal party inquiries."

Rather strange thinking behind it from Leo, surely if Bailey stays in situ - we have to assume one of two things.

Either Leo has found the report to completely exonerate her, and yet he would still prefer that the report stays private, (which is some weird strategy)

Or its a damning report that shows Bailey (and possibly her legal adviser) in the worst possible light imaginable, leaving it as to without a shadow of a doubt this was a carefully planned and methodical approach to extract some easy money from a Dublin business, and leo doesn't want the public to see the warts and all findings, and so leaves everyone in situ so as not to rock the boat, raising his middle finger to the insurance straddled public, telling them to feck off and mind their own business.

Neither scenario looks promising for leo.

tenor.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Your GIF had underpants on.

no clothes at this stage.
    not even a fig leaf

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement