Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

They’ve gone and built themselves a nice little “echo chamber” in here where it’s not really bothering those outside it.

Ironic, considering the resounding echo of multiple voices inside your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The topic of Fine Gael and insurance fraud has been in the media for six weeks now and the thread has 450,000 views yet the Fine Gael spin squad claim nobody is interested :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Still, leave them at it. They’ve gone and built themselves a nice little “echo chamber” in here where it’s not really bothering those outside it.

Hundreds of posts in a virtual chamber pot discussing bowel movements, doesn't like public discussing insurance fraud....

Echo chamber he says.......

:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The topic of Fine Gael and insurance fraud has been in the media for six weeks now and the thread has 450,000 views yet the Fine Gael spin squad claim nobody is interested :rolleyes:

I have voted FG #1 in the last number of general elections but I'd be a very angry FG diehard too realising that somehow they had allowed FF to make a comeback. I actually thought FF would die off after 2011 and I was delighted. FG's rehabilitation of FF has been quite amazing and FF have actually remained pretty honourable throughout. They seemed to lick their wounds, take their medicine and shied away for a few years. The comeback gained traction in 2016. Now they look utterly professional in comparison to FG's arrogance, corruption and mismanagement. I guess the difference is that I am not a FG diehard, I will not do the wrong thing and given them another vote after 8 very unremarkable years in office. The biggest regret is that Enda & Co missed a huge opportunity in 2011 to reform this country. Nobody would have argued with harsh action considering the state of the nation. No Irish government will get such an opportunity again.

That said, I will probably vote for SDs, Greens or Independent because I don't trust either party now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I'm an avid runner and take part in many organised events. Just learnt that an event I entered was cancelled due to high insurance costs, the Sligo Way Ultra. FG have no interest in tackling the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

FG have no interest in tackling the problem.

FG are the problem at this stage. They have fallen hook, line and sinker for their own spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Moleskin wrote: »
    If action is taken against MB she could sue for constructive dismissal.

She will say she has done nothing wrong and if she is dismissed then so should the thousands of other people who have put in dubious claims over the years.

She cannot sue for anything. You can be "reshuffled" about for disloyalty, incompetence, even competence if the party leader thinks you are too good and a rival. She can be kicked to the back benches and it's no shame, sure most of the party are back there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I love that Leo is hiding behind the legal person he appointed. He could just withhold the actual names. Another slimy trick. It stinks.

https://extra.ie/2019/07/06/news/irish-news/leo-varadkar-report-maria-bailey
    ‘I did consider making an exception in this regard, but when I met with David Kennedy he pointed out to me that he sought the cooperation of those who were interviewed for the report on the basis that it wouldn’t be published.
    ‘And he gave them that commitment in writing, so I don’t feel I could possibly override that.’

We can all blame David Kennedy instead it seems. Gutless performance.

I mean the whole world knows the people he questioned: (1) Bailey (2) The Swing (3) The Hotel Manager who saw the CCTV (4) the drunk friend and (5) Madigan.

4 and 5 could be the same person.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I was wondering how many events and festivals have closed because of rising insurance. I still don't know, but it is a lot.
    20 festivals were cancelled in the first 2½ months of 2019, mainly due to rising Insurance costs. Since then there have been others like the Ballina Salmon Festival and the Promenade Festival - I'm sure that there have been plenty more, probably too many to list.
    Ironically, Josepha Madigan is the Minister for Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht watching these cancellations happening.

From an article 2 months ago
    https://www.thejournal.ie/insurance-cancelling-festivals-in-ireland-4624624-May2019/
    Colm Crofty, executive director with the Association of Irish Festivals and Events told TheJournal.ie that a number of other festivals around Ireland have closed in recent years citing insurance issues.

“Festivals are already stretched to breaking point by rocketing insurance costs and this is the thing that will push them over the edge,” he said.

Minister for Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht, Josepha Madigan said she was aware of reports of rising insurance premiums but said it was the remit of junior minister Michael D’Arcy.

“Public liability insurance needs to be looked at and he is looking at that,” she said.

“There is a small festival scheme run under my own department, it has closed for this year, but people will be in a position to apply for that next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭JPCN1

I love that Leo is hiding behind the legal person he appointed. He could just withhold the actual names. Another slimy trick. It stinks.

I mean the whole world knows the people he questioned: (1) Bailey (2) The Swing (3) The Hotel Manager who saw the CCTV (4) the drunk friend and (5) Madigan.

The party has to start looking at Leo at this stage. Too much spin and too little substance. I don't believe his remarks earlier this week were off the cuff, I think they were designed to get a juvenile titter from the benches behind.
    He was always going to try hide behind this report but many of the members will be raging. My car insurance had doubled in the last seven years with no claims... Easy enough to fix it were we not led by invertebrates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Muahahaha wrote: »

Folks, don’t let these leeches trying to stick up for FG. They aren’t worth getting into an argument with. They know the sh1t has hit the f@n, &they like FG’s last stand.

Their next move will be an all out attack on the insurance companies in an attempt to deflect from their own fraudster members and paint them as the victims in all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Well, at least by cowardly Leo hiding behind the ,promise smokescreen, that only endorses the thought that there IS something to hide.

I am fully convinced this MB charade will bring down this shambolic excuse for a government.

Their next move will be an all out attack on the insurance companies in an attempt to deflect from their own fraudster members and paint them as the victims in all this.

Read this evening that they are threatening the insurance companies with super taxes on their profits if they do not reduce premiums for end users.

FG - saviours of the people.
    Well, at least by cowardly Leo hiding behind the ,promise smokescreen, that only endorses the thought that there IS something to hide.

I am fully convinced this MB charade will bring down this shambolic excuse for a government.

Leo is truly more stupid than he looks if he believes this will not find itself in the public domain in the next short while.

Quite a stroke though hiding behind Kennedy. It's always someone else's fault in the Fine Gael party, that's how they roll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Came across this on LinkedIn. Great idea. It's a pity such innovative concepts will be shunned here for fear of some delicate flower suing because they mortified themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

I'm so glad this thread is still going, this can not be let go over the summer break.

We have all suffered because of insurance fraudsters whether we realise it not.

Either through:

1. Our premium rising

2. Local businesses closing

3. Our employers suffering from increase premiums and therefore struggling to improve wages.

Don't let this go folks. I know I for one will forever more vote for anyone but FG until they come out and condemn Maria Bailey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

pinkyeye wrote: »
    I'm so glad this thread is still going, this can not be let go over the summer break.

We have all suffered because of insurance fraudsters whether we realise it not.

Either through:

1. Our premium rising

2. Local businesses closing

3. Our employers suffering from increase premiums and therefore struggling to improve wages.

Don't let this go folks. I know I for one will forever more vote for anyone but FG until they come out and condemn Maria Bailey.

People need to demand an election, simple as that

• Registered Users Posts: 23,356 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The way I see this,
    FG were as well to take an advert every day in the indo saying '**** you all. suckers' with a photo of Leo grinning from ear to ear standing beside Maria Bailey.
    They are fecked. The sooner they get out and take redacted with them, the better for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,888 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Moleskin wrote: »
    If action is taken against MB she could sue for constructive dismissal.

She will say she has done nothing wrong and if she is dismissed then so should the thousands of other people who have put in dubious claims over the years.

She wont be re elected though, she will be laughed off the doorstep by most people and most people go through their lives without making any sort of claims. The tiny minority of people who have brassnecks will continue to support her but within that group there will be a lot of people furious with her because she has done the State a huge service by drawing public attention to the ridiculous claim culture in this country.

I dont believe there is any real will to change things, too many fat cats feeding off the payments and they wont see this easy income dry up without a battle. Its the insurance companies and their willingness to invest in anti fraud measures that has led to cases being won against fraudsters and not any action the Government has taken on this matter. Setting up an anti fraud unit within the Garda Siochana would have been a very effective measure so why hasnt this happened, no real political will to make change and ruffle the pals in the legal profession may be one of the reasons.

Who could she sue for constructive dismissal?

blanch152 wrote: »

Leo vradkar, FG, Leinster House, Dáil Éireann, The Ceann Comhairle, the state and anyone else she can think of.

Not having an actual case didn't stop her before, no reason she wouldn't chance it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

mike_cork wrote: »

So they pretty much named everyone who took part in the internal review (that we all knew anyway) so Leo's argument is out the window

blanch152 wrote: »

I get the impression ms Bailey would be the type to try and initiate legal proceedings against a blue bottle if it landed on her buttered scone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Well that didn't take long to leak. Well played Leo you numpty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Well that didn't take long to leak. Well played Leo you numpty.
    He reminds me of a sinning priest

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mike_cork

Took about 24/48 hours for the indo to get their hands on the report. Expect a week long barrage of bailey/fg/insurance fraud articles, further reinforcing in voters minds that FG is cool with insurance fraud. This is at a time when insurance is crippling your average joe.
    Bravo Leo,bravo. *Slow claps*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

If they have the report then they're towing the line as there hasn't been a peep about Ms Madigan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

According to today's Business Post (behind a paywall):
    Fraudsters are flocking to Ireland to take advantage of the country’s abnormally high personal-injury awards as the insurance crisis engulfing businesses, voluntary organisations and consumers continues to deepen.

Lead from the top ........... is the old adage.
    So when our foreign visitors see that members of our sitting Government are taking part in the fraud that is crippling the country, no wonder foreign fraudsters are flocking here from far flung countries to do likewise.

Fine Gael is a disgrace to allow this to continue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

If Madigan wasn’t involved surely she’d have no problem with the report being published. Her refusal to answer any questions on the issue says it all.
    This report obviously involves a lot more and uncovered stuff FG would rather not have out there.

It’s in the public interest and Leo is either stupid or drunk with power thinking we’ll forget all about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭McCrack

I presume the reports conclusion could be published and Mr Kennedy draft it in such as way that there's no source identification

I would expect thats the way it is so release the conclusion which will confirm what we already know

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement