Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

It's an internal party report. It's not for the public domain.

I only remember this being spouted after Leo got confirmation that it was as bad as he feared.

Meanwhile, as I was saying.
    The disappointment provoked by the findings of the internal Fine Gael inquiry into Maria Bailey’s personal injury claim are exacerbated by the fact that the report will not be published.

All too conveniently, barrister David Kennedy was able to tell Taoiseach Leo Varadkar that “he sought the co- operation of those who were interviewed for the report on the basis that it wouldn’t be published”.

This, amazingly, allowed Mr Vardakar to respond: “And he gave them that commitment in writing so I don’t feel I could possibly override that.”

It requires spectacular gullibility to imagine Mr Kennedy had the independence, tacit or otherwise, to offer that blanket protection to witnesses, a protection that has once again been used to treat the idea of accountability in public life and the electorate with contempt.

If that protection was not contrived it highlights mere misjudgment — as this is, no matter how FG bleat and would have us believe, a matter of grave public interest.

Despite that details of the report came to light in yesterday’s Sunday Independent and it shows that Ms Bailey’s personal injury claim “overstated” the impact of injuries she suffered falling from a swing in a Dublin city centre hotel.

This seems to leave Fine Gael with limited options.

One of those, the most important, centres on the party’s next selection convention for Dún Laoghaire where Ms Bailey is one of three Fine Gael deputies. She should not be on the ticket.

The Feckin Gullible party.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Brought you out of hiding ;)

Seems Madigan got a mention anyway. Very telling she's all tight lipped except when she's able to reveal good news about herself. Obviously had concerns going in.

Looks like the report vindicates her from any wrong doing. I'd say the famous five detectives and their wild conspiracy theories are raging.
    I'm sorry but the more I think about this the more annoyed I get. I mean how stupid do they think we are. Complete an internal party review, won't make it public but will come out with statements like above. Jesus wept. These lads are borderline gangsters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

According to the recent opinion poll FF are five percentage points ahead of FG.

https://www.thejournal.ie/fianna-fail-opinion-poll-3-4684640-Jun2019/

It's a bad state of affairs for FG when ANY poll puts FF ahead of them again after all that's happened.

I won't vote FF or FG or SF for that matter, but out of all of them for me, FG are a pack of scumbags. What they are doing to the health service as one examplee is disgraceful and only expericing it in my family recently. Never mind housing etc.

They were bad with Kenny, noonan and co but this current crop of misfits, leo, the Simon's, Murphy and co are appalling altogether.

Th

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Madigan came across just as arrogant as her mate there on Drivetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,914 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

tototoe wrote: »
    It's a bad state of affairs for FG when ANY poll puts FF ahead of them again after all that's happened.
    I won't vote FF or FG or SF for that matter, but out of all of them for me, FG are a pack of scumbags. What they are doing to the health service as one examplee is disgraceful and only expericing it in my family recently. Never mind housing etc.
    They were bad with Kenny, noonan and co but this current crop of misfits, leo, the Simon's, Murphy and co are appalling altogether.

So many self inflicted wounds \ needless own goals. With better leadership and political sense they should have put themselves in power for a generation.

The IMF said bring in water charges, and bring down the costs of legal access.
    Of course, they tackled the one they thought there was money in, and it cost them dozens of seats; while leaving the legal profession as a closed cartel.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

odyssey06 wrote: »
    So many self inflicted wounds \ needless own goals. With better leadership and political sense they should have put themselves in power for a generation.

Of course, they tackled the one they thought there was money in, and it cost them dozens of seats; while leaving the legal profession as a closed cartel.

And now they're bulling Hogan in again. He must know where leo buried his dead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

odyssey06 wrote: »

Completely.
    There's more money leaving housing in crisis and better chance at privatisation by leaving health in crisis. Tackling the Bailey issue properly might cost more seats so try let it die, whereas a cuter hoor would have nipped it in the bud weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

And now they're bulling Hogan in again. He must know where leo buried his dead

Leo might have to rethink appointing Hogan due to gender quota's according to the Times.

Leo might have to rethink appointing Hogan due to gender quota's according to the Times.

I hear he self identifies as a public representative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Kivaro wrote: »
    So about this €300,000 claim in the news today, brought by the Stokes and McDonagh clans from London.

I wonder do they feel a little bit dirty knowing that they are being associated with Bailey and Farrell by their actions.

The best of people according to the FG minister.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

I hear he self identifies as a public representative.

There isn’t one member of FG or FF can identify as a public representative at this stage.

Corporate representatives to the last man. And woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Phil Hogan is highly respected in Europe. Not surprised at his reappointment.

You're confusing Phil with Hulk I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

This is not going away. Its gona haunt FG for years
    They will pay a very expensive price for this incompetence.

Just in case you anyone forgets: https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/30000-for-hanafin-mum-after-leinster-house-fall-26657826.html

The entire FFG party is at

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

That’s true. Almost cross group support, which is unusual. There’d be people here though who would admire the unholy trinity of Ming ‘9 skinner’ Flanagan, Mick ‘Raiding the pension fund’ Wallace, and Clare ‘Its wine time’ Daly. Thankfully they never get near the steering wheel of power.

They obviously don't know Phil the trickle like we do.

He hasn't been reappointed yet and it's looking like he may fall victim to gender quotas. Now that would be hilarious considering his public comments to a woman several years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

What response would you recommend?

Personally I'd recall Alan Shatter to tackle the legal profession, but unfortunately the clueless nitwits in his constituency decided that Shane Ross was a better candidate so he hasn't got a seat.

Lol more Fine Gael revisionism of what actually happened. Shatter had his chance to reform the legal profession and he blew it. He sent the legislation for approval by the Bar Council who duly added over 200 amendments to it. You'd never think it because Blueshirts like to sell the spin that Shatter was a 'reforming minister' when the actual reality is following Shatters so called 'reform' the legal industry is still self regulated and we still have some of the highest legal fees anywhere in the western world. If you think that is reform then you need to buy a new dictionary.

That’s true. Almost cross group support, which is unusual. There’d be people here though who would admire the unholy trinity of Ming ‘9 skinner’ Flanagan, Mick ‘Raiding the pension fund’ Wallace, and Clare ‘Its wine time’ Daly. Thankfully they never get near the steering wheel of power.

No. That motely crew of ne'er do wells have no interest or competence when it comes to political leadership. They prefer to heckle from the cheap seats while the grown ups get down to the serious and largely thankless task of governance.

No. That motely crew of ne'er do wells have no interest or competence when it comes to political leadership. They prefer to heckle from the cheap seats while the grown ups get down to the serious and largely thankless task of governance.

Hurlers on the ditch, Paddy. Easy to point out all the issues, but not a Ronnie Drew on how to realistically solve anything. It’s angsty sort of stuff - all protests, placards, and shouting. Megaphone politics. Appeals to some people, but doesn’t keep the country running. That’s why people vote for FG and FF.

• Advertisement

We need the awkward squad sometimes.
    Just not too many of them.
    Not every TD/MP needs to be or should be chasing cabinet seats.

Hurlers on the ditch, Paddy. Easy to point out all the issues, but not a Ronnie Drew on how to realistically solve anything. It’s angsty sort of stuff - all protests, placards, and shouting. Megaphone politics. Appeals to some people, but doesn’t keep the country running. That’s why people vote for FG and FF.

You're 100% right there Johnny. Couldn't have said it better myself. There's a reason Patrick and Petunia Taxpayer vote FG and FF in every election. Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You're 100% right there Johnny. Couldn't have said it better myself. There's a reason Patrick and Petunia Taxpayer vote FG and FF in every election. Well said.

It's a while since any of them were 'voted' in. They fell short of that and had to seek support elsewhere and in the case of this government, the aquiesence of FF to gain power.

Stay within the bounds of the realities here please. Next thing you'll be claiming FG are the 'most popular party in the country'.

It's bad when the blueshirts own spinbots are clinging to their one time, all time boogeymen of "they wrecked the country" Fianna Fail as some kind of heroic saviours.

The last shards of credibility breakaway from ⅔ of the amigo's, emmet'll trot in soon on his clapped out donkey for virtual high fives and terms of endearment :D

It's bad when the blueshirts own spinbots are clinging to their one time, all time boogeymen of "they wrecked the country" Fianna Fail as some kind of heroic saviours.

The last shards of credibility breakaway from ⅔ of the amigo's, emmet'll trot in soon on his clapped out donkey for virtual high fives and terms of endearment :D

Just pointing out that the Irish electorate tend to vote for centrist parties like FF and FG. They have no interest in voting for economically illeiterate fringe parties with a whiff of cordite off them. That's all Johnny.

All I'm saying is the people who get up early, eat their porridge and read the Irish Times make up the bulk of the vote and they like FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Just pointing out that the Irish electorate tend to vote for centrist parties like FF and FG. They have no interest in voting for economically illeiterate fringe parties with a whiff of cordite off them. That's all Johnny.

All I'm saying is the people who get up early, eat their porridge and read the Irish Times make up the bulk of the vote and they like FG.
    But the people who get up early have already been alienated by FG so that's a third of your base gone there straight away.

More like FF though according to the last poll taken, just saying. Leo's claim that he wants to look after the man that gets up early turned out to be BS. FG only look after themselves as evidenced by the behaviour and wagon circling concerning Bailey's attempted fraud.

You seem to be 30 years out of date. FF and FG have lost between them 30percent of the electorate since their heyday.

And the Irish Times daily sales is 80000.

We need capable centrist parties with integrity and responsible economics.
    FG had a once in a generation opportunity to lead the country out of the mess FF left to a better Ireland and they sadly screwed it up.

That’s a bitter pill for some people to swallow, Patrick. People realise that most things are going fine, and they certainly don’t intend to change it for a government made up of shinners, lefties, and me fein independents. Not going to happen. Pipe dream stuff.

• Advertisement

That’s a bitter pill for some people to swallow, Patrick. People realise that most things are going fine, and they certainly don’t intend to change it for a government made up of shinners, lefties, and me fein independents. Not going to happen. Pipe dream stuff.

Here we have the tyranny of low expectations.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement