Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

""Checks thread title**

Only got tuned in where leo was admitting that he got it wrong ref the children's hospital, and broadband.
    Anyone that caught the start, did he mention Kennedy's report he was due to make a statement on?

People don't care about insurance fraud within the government's "better TDs" it's the economy stupid.

Get up the yard Matty.

I tuned in around the same time,that's why I asked the question.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

mattser wrote: »
    No, but the economy grew by 8.2% in 2018. But that's not important at all sure.
    Amateurs.
    My car insurance quote grew with 20% in 2018.

Oh... wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

In all fairness I'd overlook him not commenting on the report until next week considering the circumstances.

My point was, I think in all fairness some lads on this site would be happy enough if he didn't comment on it ever considering the circumstances.

People are very interested in the story, no matter how many times they try and protest otherwise.

"It's the economy stupid" doesn't wash anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,285 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"It's the economy stupid" doesn't wash anymore.

Even in the past, it doesn't explain every election.

Case in point - FG should remember the 1997 general election where the sitting FG\Labour\DL government lost to FF+PDs with an economy arguably in much better shape overall than today.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

This is the crux of it at this stage, Leo isn’t leading very well and his ministers aren’t much better.

I thought Oliver Callan nailed what has happened to Leo in the last 12 months very well
    Despite having the largest team of spin doctors of any Taoiseach, Leo Varadkar has proven to be unexpectedly foolish and undignified in the job.
    The "Love, Actually", "Dear Kylie" and Operation Transformation episodes were at the lower end of the scale, but did awaken the public to his oddities.
    These trivialities wounded his reputation as a solid and respectable leader who took his office seriously.

Other incidents demonstrated poor judgement for a figure sold to us by PR handlers as an intellectual.There was the "windmills" gaffe on his first trip to Washington as leader, the claim that Ireland's homelessness compared well to other countries and farmer-enraging comments that he was cutting back on eating meat.

These off-script moments highlighted how carefully manicured the image of Leo the Leader is, and how the polish dulls when he tries to go solo.
    They have hurt his position, but perhaps most damning of all for the Fine Gael leader and his party, Leo Varadkar has been slowly revealed to be just a regular politician. The straight-talking, breath-of-fresh air, un-politician he had been once seen as, has evaporated. The much-admired Simon Coveney is quietly looking on, aghast.

Varadkar enjoyed a long honeymoon and it's easy to convey yourself as a statesman when times are good. Last Summer, he bounced into the holidays top of the polls and with approval ratings so high he was hot favourite to remain Taoiseach after a ­general election. His horizons have darkened a year later and his party now trails Fianna Fail in the polls with his own ratings trending downwards behind Micheal Martin. A poor local election has seen his temper and patience deteriorate and along with it, a style of ill decorum has set into his Dail appearances.
    Despite all the style, flash and showmanship of his spin, there is very little substance or action to his two years in the highest office. Varadkar's Government has held up almost 150 pieces of legislation tabled by Opposition TDs and Senators despite winning approval in both houses.
    Many of the bills seek to improve the lives of people, a basic task of parliament. The Government has failed to make progress on reforming property tax.
    It's almost a year since they announced a Land Development Agency, a quango to help Eoghan Murphy out of his housing mire, but it has no legal powers and, quite unbelievably, no land. A land agency with no land? Only in Ireland. These problems will be parked even longer as the Dail goes on its Summer break today until mid-September.

The rural broadband plans remain in disarray. We still don't know how much the children's hospital will cost or its effect on all the promises made in Project 2040. Don't forget how that bottle of smoke was toured across Ireland in a roadshow at great expense. They set up showy stages and had Varadkar walk out like a star, heavily-scripted and kept away from the public. They barely mention it now as the entire scheme unravels over their inability to control spending on capital projects under way or not yet even started.

The Taoiseach had it all. A party that believed in him, a starstruck media and a public willing to give his youth and confidence a chance. How did Leo Varadkar blow it? There's a very Irish phrase "What's soft got is soft spent".

Perhaps if Varadkar had to work hard to get to where he is today, he wouldn't be on the verge of losing it all, having achieved so little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭blackwhite

In all fairness I'd overlook him not commenting on the report until next week considering the circumstances.

I’d have expected something yesterday - last day before summer recess - if Baileys family hadn’t suffered their loss this week.

Be very surprising if at a minimum she doesn’t lose her committee positions. If Leo was more decisive I’d expect to see a period of suspension from the parliamentary party also - but I don’t think he’s strong enough to do that. Seems to veer to the soft options time and again.

Longer term - I’d be surprised to see her standing in next elections - whether via deselection or her “own choice”.

FG held an extra seat in Dun Laoghaire last time due to Barrett being the outgoing Ceann Comhairle - realistically two seats is the max for them there so I’d say they’ll need strong candidates there. FF will be gunning for at least one seat with Hanafin - who should hoover a lot of last-time Bailey voters.

Given Barrett’s unlikely to run again, and the other incumbent is Mary Mitchell O’Connor who isn’t likely to bring a pile of transfers, then a strong candidate is needed for them - which MB most certainly isn’t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Will you go away with that number. Pure Leprechaun economics figmentation (my word). I can't believe Leo actually said that number without being embarrassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Kivaro wrote: »
    Will you go away with that number. Pure Leprechaun economics figmentation (my word). I can't believe Leo actually said that number without being embarrassed.

Think the 8% was GDP

GNI numbers around the 6% mark - which excludes profits from multinationals.

Given that some of the multinational profits do stay here (in the form of wages, local suppliers, etc) then the real number is somewhere between 6%-8%.

Best indicator of the economy is really domestic personal consumption of goods and services - up 3.4% last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Because it means f*** all to a lot of people.
    Dublin's canals run like long fingers of parkland through the city and county.

Along the banks, waterfowl build nests among the reeds, swans swim regally through the water .

People walk, jog and cycle, boats move slowly through the locks.

In recent years, there has been a new addition to this scene - small, brightly coloured tents have appeared, some solitary, some in groups.

Those inside the tents are not there for leisure or pleasure, they are just trying to survive.

00125ae2-800.jpg
    https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/0712/1061635-homeless/

I digress, back to Leo's party where fraudsters get rewarded because he wants to keep 'stability' ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

blackwhite wrote: »
    Think the 8% was GDP

GNI numbers around the 6% mark - which excludes profits from multinationals.

Given that some of the multinational profits do stay here (in the form of wages, local suppliers, etc) then the real number is somewhere between 6%-8%.

Best indicator of the economy is really domestic personal consumption of goods and services - up 3.4% last year.
    3.4% is a more realistic depiction of our economy.
    The 8.2% is a distortion due to a small amount of multinationals.

While 3.4% is decent enough growth, is it wiped out for the regular man/woman on the street by .......... let's say .......... increases in insurance premiums?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

odyssey06 wrote: »
    A dead thread? It's the #3 thread on Current Affairs, with 488,421 views.

And if it's a dead thread, why are you here?

BRILLIANT reply OD! And yes, OP, why are You here if it's a dead thread, as you proclaim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Kivaro wrote: »
    3.4% is a more realistic depiction of our economy.
    The 8.2% is a distortion due to a small amount of multinationals.

While 3.4% is decent enough growth, is it wiped out for the regular man/woman on the street by .......... let's say .......... increases in insurance premiums?

Well mine went from 600 to 950. I eventually renewed for 650. I used to pay 400 on the very same car. 17 years continuously insured claim free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Has bailey been mentioned yet ?

A yes. Standard FG type post and the very obvious party line. You know the economy is not the only thing to measure the performance of a country by? The economy may be doing well but a lot has deteriorated under their governance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Imagine how much it would grow if he hadn't got a gob***t as taoiseach?

The economy grew without anything from the government, if anything they have held back the development of the economy because they have not fixed the housing crisis in Dublin

A number of companies didn't move to Ireland with brexit because staff would not be able to find accommodation, and then if they did find accommodation they would spend half the day trying to get into dublin city centre as we have no public transport and the amount of cars on the road is growing faster than before....

All thanks to Leo :-)

Now back to Bailey

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    A yes. Standard FG type post and the very obvious party line. You know the economy is not the only thing to measure the performance of a county by? The economy may be doing well but a lot has deteriorated under their governance.

I read someplace recently, could even have been on this thread,that we are a country/community..we are not an economy. A healthy economy is important, but it's not imperative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Any news from China this morning?

Mr Flash, if you're reading this, the young lad wants a mogwai, searched every pet shop I can think of in the Wickow and South Dublin area, seems China is my best bets.

Pm me, and I'll sort you out (have revolut/PayPal).

**Crosses fingers**

That jet lag must be a bummer coming from China.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Datuk Vaderthir

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Imagine how much it would grow if he hadn't got a gob***t as taoiseach?

The economy grew without anything from the government, if anything they have held back the development of the economy because they have not fixed the housing crisis in Dublin

A number of companies didn't move to Ireland with brexit because staff would not be able to find accommodation, and then if they did find accommodation they would spend half the day trying to get into dublin city centre as we have no public transport and the amount of cars on the road is growing faster than before....

All thanks to Leo :-)

Now back to Bailey

The issue has gone on way further back than Leo Varadkar. He's merely the present incumbent inheriting a crisis.

Everyone knows the most sure and certain way to create a conservative is to make them flog themselves to death to get land, and thats the whole 'aim' of 'divide and conquer'. So one sector thats worked for it can resent other sectors that have'nt.

Its not in the interests of the established parties that solve it. To much of the Middle Class, High prices keep skangers out, and scummy elements that they perceive in existing in certain postcodes. Any policy that risks changing that, risks changing 'safety', 'security', 'negative equity' destabilises everything. Land is the pillar and lynchpin upon which Ireland's economy rests, and NOBODY knows how to change that even if they wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Good article about insurance scammers in this morning's Indo.

Urgent need' to combat Ireland's insurance crisis
    Mr Boland said: "The key thing is that the vast majority of cases never get to court but the solicitors will get paid, the barristers will get paid, the claimant gets paid, the insurance company passes the costs on in increased premiums so they make a profit and the policy-holder picks up the tab for the whole thing."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The Insurance Crisis (i love how everything is a "crisis") has one source; the Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

The Insurance Crisis (i love how everything is a "crisis") has one source; the Irish people.

Not all of the Irish people thank you very much. I think lawyers and politicians have to carry much of the blame.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

I agree in a way. We aren’t calling it what it is.
    A cabal. A scam. A racket.

Feel free to add your own

Look at the business closures owing to insurance.
    It is a crisis though

• Registered Users Posts: 68,579 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Didn't see the unseemly need for the newspapers to send photographers to the funeral (even the Irish Times did it) No need for our media to go that way.

However it does mean this story ain't go anywhere fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

I'm one of those who fell for the Leo propaganda, I'm ashamed to admit.

The fact that he claimed that he was for the working person who gets up at 6am and wasn't afraid to call out welfare cheats dragged me in.

But this whole saga has made me do a 180 completely.

He thinks fraud is okay as long as it's carried out by a D4 head, that's the truth of the matter.

Really really sickens me.

I'm so glad this thread is still going though, keep it going lads. They may have stumbled to the summer break without dealing with this but they won't get way with in the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

pinkyeye wrote: »

The fact that he claimed that he was for the working person who gets up at 6am and wasn't afraid to call out welfare cheats dragged me in.

He thinks fraud is okay as long as it's carried out by a D4 head, that's the truth of the matter.

I'm so glad this thread is still going though, keep it going lads. They may have stumbled to the summer break without dealing with this but they won't get way with in the next election.

I don't think he would care if she lived in a ditch on Mutton Island, as long as she's wearing a blue shirt he'll pretend he sees nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

youre not alone on that one. a lot of us liked that soundbite but it was a lie. He has done nothing for the people who get up early in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

youre not alone on that one. a lot of us liked that soundbite but it was a lie. He has done nothing for the people who get up early in the morning.

And just chucking out a soundbite like that is enough to sell you on the guy? Do you not need to see some detail on his proposed policies to support early risers before deciding he is the new messiah?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,721 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

And just chucking out a soundbite like that is enough to sell you on the guy? Do you not need to see some detail on his proposed policies to support early risers before deciding he is the new messiah?

I thought he might have been converted on the road to Demarcus.
    I was wrong, it was the road to God knows where for the working man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I don’t give a cr*p if he gets up at 12 in the day, as long as the few hours he works he gets something done

He could be getting up at 6 and working till 9 each night but at present he hasn’t managed to do anything so he might as well have stayed in bed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement