Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

I do take heart that right / far right parties don’t get foothold here.
    Have there even been any?

I don’t think Irish people at any point in the past or future would fall for it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

I do take heart that right / far right parties don’t get foothold here.
    Have there even been any?
    FG dallied with it a long time ago. Hence the 'Blueshirts' moniker. I think the republican movement here provided that kind of violent nationalist outlet - hoovered up all the 'talent' as it were.

mikhail wrote: »
    FG dallied with it a long time ago. Hence the 'Blueshirts' moniker. I think the republican movement here provided that kind of violent nationalist outlet - hoovered up all the 'talent' as it were.

I’m not sure I’d call the republican movement here in the past far right.
    It certainly wouldn’t gain any traction here now though. Though you’d be convinced it’s here and thriving reading some threads on these forums.
    Full of crazies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

I’m not sure I’d call the republican movement here in the past far right.
    It certainly wouldn’t gain any traction here now though. Though you’d be convinced it’s here and thriving reading some threads on these forums.
    Full of crazies.
    You're right; if anything, they had a lot of far left rhetoric going on. I do think they attracted the kind of mind who might have drifted into far right territory though - as I said, disposed to violent solutions to political problems, and nationalistic. Call it a horse-shoe theory if you like! And to be clear, I don't mean to dismiss the republican movement as being exclusively composed of that sort either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

odyssey06 wrote: »
    In 1977 FF+FG had 80% of the vote.
    In 1987 FF+FG had 70% of the vote.
    In 1999 FF+FG had 67% of the vote.
    In 2011 FG+FF had 56% of the vote
    In 2015 FG+FF had 50% of the vote.

Even if you include Labour as 'centre', the percentages go up but the trend is still downwards.

The center needs to buck up its performance or it ain't gonna hold.

The two combined still have a comfortable majority of Dail seats though, more so if you include the two parties' gene pool independents as part of the overall bloc. I reckon we're still a fair bit away from a government not involving FF or FG.

• Advertisement

mikhail wrote: »
    You're right; if anything, they had a lot of far left rhetoric going on. I do think they attracted the kind of mind who might have drifted into far right territory though - as I said, disposed to violent solutions to political problems, and nationalistic. Call it a horse-shoe theory if you like! And to be clear, I don't mean to dismiss the republican movement as being exclusively composed of that sort either.

It speaks to how identical FF FG are that there isn’t a tangible Left Right Dynamic in play. Might be FF were a little more conservative in the past but dragged away from that after marriage equality. Which they didn’t campaign for in any real sense. But happy to turn up at every pride parade now. Eyeroll implied

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Are FG and FF in cahoots with regard to keeping power. Either of would let each other in charge if it meant an alternative wouldn't get a look in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Did Maria get her medical expenses?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It speaks to how identical FF FG are that there isn’t a tangible Left Right Dynamic in play. Might be FF were a little more conservative in the past but dragged away from that after marriage equality. Which they didn’t campaign for in any real sense. But happy to turn up at every pride parade now. Eyeroll implied

As another poster mentioned, our electorate is largely centrist. The are slight leanings left and right by people. FG / FF represent that.

Theta no corresponding equivalent of Jeremy Corbyns, nationalise everything here. Neither do we have any desire for full on right wing policies.

The electoral pendulum only swings very slightly off median here.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,282 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The two combined still have a comfortable majority of Dail seats though, more so if you include the two parties' gene pool independents as part of the overall bloc. I reckon we're still a fair bit away from a government not involving FF or FG.

True but there is a definite drift away and neither party should be complacent about the future, in a way they could afford to be in the 80s and 90s.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Is this thread not about Maria Bailey and her insurance claim?
    Why are mods allowing it to be derailed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

BENDYBINN wrote: »

People have drifted to talking about other matters here as the story has died. However posters here have an insatiable desire to bump this thread in a vain attempt to give life support to this forgotten footnote. The wild conspiracies about Madigan and this being the event that would topple a government all look rather silly now.

Terry and Theresa Taxpaper don't give a white shite about this story anymore. They're just looking forward to their week in the sun. Come September after the recess and when the body politic is back in action minds will be focussed on the looming brexit deadline and this sorry tale will be a distant memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

But the people want to vote for them. That’s why they do so. They vote for one of the two centrist parties. You might not like it, but that’s democracy in action. The stability of our democratic and parliamentary system is one of the reasons we went from being the poorest country in the EEC in 1973 to now being ranked the 4th best country in the world in which to live by the UN. The electorate have always roundly rejected far left alternatives. And far right parties never even get off the ground. We like centrist politics. This is fairly simple stuff to get the head around tbh.

I said we need rid of both of them.
    Where did I say nobody votes for them? If nobody voted for them they wouldn't be a problem now would they johnny?

Did Maria get her medical expenses?

I'm wondering did she take a few days sick and is FG HR investigating? ;)

All discussions drift, but as you can see from the post below vested interests are still trying to kill the story.
    People have drifted to talking about other matters here as the story has died. However posters here have an insatiable desire to bump this thread in a vain attempt to give life support to this forgotten footnote. The wild conspiracies about Madigan and this being the event that would topple a government all look rather silly now.

Terry and Theresa Taxpaper don't give a white shite about this story anymore. They're just looking forward to their week in the sun. Come September after the recess and when the body politic is back in action minds will be focussed on the looming brexit deadline and this sorry tale will be a distant memory.

Thankfully Leo seems to think like you, that's exactly why the story will continue to have legs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,282 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Well actually I was pointing out that FG (and FF) face deaths by a thousand cuts in the long run if they don't get on top of issues like this one... it's the slow haemorrhaging of their support.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Paddy. Maybe you’ve heard of unintended consequences.

Perhaps if you didn’t respond saying the story was dead it would actually contribute to it dying.

Posting to say it is dead bumps the thread. More people see it.

Kind of self defeating yanno?

Are there not other threads and other forums for talking about other matters?
    Why here? I not buyin that..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Forgotten Footnote?
    Well, I never..
    A humanity has been crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

i'm sure you would be more than happy for this to go away. i think we should keep it going as long as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Paddy. Maybe you’ve heard of unintended consequences.

Perhaps if you didn’t respond saying the story was dead it would actually contribute to it dying.

Posting to say it is dead bumps the thread. More people see it.

Kind of self defeating yanno?

I think paddy needs to google the streisand effect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Will they be getting travel insurance?

Who will they think of the next time they are paying say...
    Car insurance?
    Property insurance?
    Employers liability insurance?
    Public liability insurance?
    etc

;)

500,000 views. Paddy likes to know the story :D

I think paddy needs to google the streisand effect.

The thought might touch him in the morning, and his humanity will be crossed and he’ll sue the spin team HR for thoughts unbecoming

Is Maria on the ticket next election?

Is Maria on the ticket next election?

On any real world she wouldn’t be.
    But she will be. That won’t be until March at least and FG will assume people will have forgotten.
    Fair chance the indo are sitting on that report and have the video. And will drop both on the public between now and then

On any real world she wouldn’t be.
    But she will be. That won’t be until March at least and FG will assume people will have forgotten.
    Fair chance the indo are sitting on that report and have the video. And will drop both on the public between now and then

People didn’t forget about your one down in Galway.........you know the wiffy one......

You try to adopt a flippant attitude, yet you materialise here repeatedly...the desperation is showing. Keep trying to convince yourself that public interest in the story has come to a standstill, the reality is the opposite. Insurance fraud is ubiquitous, and the honest taxpayer doesn't like stumping up the difference.

We don't live in a goldfish bowl, per your wilful delusion. The ballot box offers a sharp rebuke to chancers, and there will be several denizens of FG biting the dust in the next election. Off with you back to the scutter thread, it perfectly fits your propensity for bullsh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

BENDYBINN wrote:
    Is it true she was as drunk as a monkey?

No idea other than she is incapable of sitting on a swing without adult supervision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Terry and Theresa Taxpaper don't give a white ****e about this story anymore. They're just looking forward to their week in the sun. Come September after the recess and when the body politic is back in action minds will be focussed on the looming brexit deadline and this sorry tale will be a distant memory.

So you are a few others have said on multiple occasions yet here it still is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I genuinely don't get why posters continue to engage with one lad talking to himself (yet again the 2 ID's show up within a few posts of each other), desperately trying to convince us that there's nothing to see here.

Wasting your time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement