Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You’re a FF supporter, Kaiser. No harm in that at all, compadre, but at least be honest about it.

I'll be honest (as per the brief analysis of the electoral options I did on this thread a few days ago) and say that FF are probably the best of a very poor selection alright, and that we are effectively a one party state given historical results.

We don't have the population to sustain multiple different parties in any real numbers, our electoral system doesn't support it, and the only real alternative to FF are a party who consistently prove themselves even less suitable for Government. We all know SF (the third option) would be a disaster for this country - don't think anyone would deny that.

So yes, I suppose that makes me a FF supporter by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭mike_cork

You’re a FF supporter, Kaiser. No harm in that at all, compadre, but at least be honest about it.
    I am an office worker who gets up early in the morning & I do vote FG. But you (and others) sneering demeaner in your comments really hurt your end objective....Which is presumably to encourage others to vote for FG??
    Shock horror, not everyone who criticizes a clearly disreputable person such as Bailey is a crank no matter how often you and others keep repeating that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

mike_cork wrote: »
    And who says FG arent men of the people :rolleyes:

Most popular party in the State, amigo. Increased representation at local and European level. That’s a bitter pill to swallow for some of the followers of the parties of combat trousers and megaphones.

I’m not condoning Bailey’s actions by the way. Just don’t think it’s actually as big an issue as some of ye lads make out. Much bigger fish in the sea. Not big picture sort of fellas one would opine. More general operatives sorts who get a bit obsessed with one thing and can’t let it go.

Most popular party in the State, amigo. Increased representation at local and European level. That’s a bitter pill to swallow for some of the followers of the parties of combat trousers and megaphones.

I’m not condoning Bailey’s actions by the way. Just don’t think it’s actually as big an issue as some of ye lads make out. Much bigger fish in the sea. Not big picture sort of fellas one would opine. More general operatives sorts who get a bit obsessed with one thing and can’t let it go.

Bigger fish in the sea like the national children’s hospital, the national broadband scheme (and the events center for those of us in cork) ?
    I think you're failing to see that incidents like Bailey (which agreed on its own is relatively minor) feeds into a narrative of FG both being feckless with taxpayer’s money and completely out of touch.
    Politics is all about narrative and if you think these issues adding up won’t affect FG's chances at the upcoming general election I think you're slightly misguided

FG now find themselves in a situation where the papers will drip feed this bailey thing over the next few weeks/months when a strong leader could have nipped it in the bud (and even used it as a Mea Culpa moment).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,553 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/fine-gael-tds-concerned-by-latest-poll-figures-slump-931098.html
    I am not so sure about that to be honest....

In the latest Behaviour and Attitudes poll, published in yesterday’s Sunday Times, Fianna Fáil was placed on top of the pile with an unchanged 28%.They were followed by Fine Gael on 23% (down 5 percentage points), Sinn Féin on 12% (down 7), the Greens on 11% (up 6), Labour on 5% (up 1), the Independent Alliance unchanged on 3%, Solidarity-PBP on 2% (down 1), and the Social Democrats unchanged on 1%.

By the way I am from Northern Ireland so I have no real allegiance to any party down here.

I think it is a big issue, its costing people when it comes to insurance etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Actually the most recent poll put FF as the most popular party in the state, but hey when has the truth ever bothered certain individuals. ;-)

gmisk wrote: »
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/fine-gael-tds-concerned-by-latest-poll-figures-slump-931098.html
    I am not so sure about that to be honest....

n the latest Behaviour and Attitudes poll, published in yesterday’s Sunday Times, Fianna Fáil was placed on top of the pile with an unchanged 28%.They were followed by Fine Gael on 23% (down 5 percentage points), Sinn Féin on 12% (down 7), the Greens on 11% (up 6), Labour on 5% (up 1), the Independent Alliance unchanged on 3%, Solidarity-PBP on 2% (down 1), and the Social Democrats unchanged on 1%.

By the way I am from Northern Ireland so I have no real allegiance to any party down here.

I think it is a big issue, its costing people when it comes to insurance etc.

FG had a once in a 100 years chance to destroy FF which in my view are a scourge on Ireland. Instead FG now find themselves trailing FF in the polls. I mean what does that say about the party????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

I am an office worker who gets up early in the morning & I do vote FG. But you (and others) sneering demeaner in your comments really hurt your end objective....Which is presumably to encourage others to vote for FG??
    Shock horror, not everyone who criticizes a clearly disreputable person such as Bailey is a crank no matter how often you and others keep repeating that point.
    I'm currently working as a research scientist. I wonder if, by Johnny's criteria, I'm allowed to criticise FG without being branded some kind of layabout. Because there is an awful lot to criticise FG about. (And lest he assume so, I'm not a FF supporter either. I don't subscribe to any single party)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    We all know SF (the third option) would be a disaster for this country - don't think anyone would deny that.

Even SF voters?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Even SF voters?:confused:

SF voters by and large don't come out in any great numbers on the day.

SF (like the AAA and "Independents") have a useful function as watchdogs over the sitting Government (a function they performed pretty well over the last 7/8 years), but that's about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    SF voters by and large don't come out in any great numbers on the day.

They got nearly 300,000 FPVs in the last general election. You're saying none of those people actually want SF in government.

Read Hugh's piece in the Indo about Bailey and Madigan. Seems Madigan processed Bailey's intial claim submitted to PIAB but the Dean was having none of the b*ll**** submitted by Bailey and Madigan and decided to fight it. Anyway article is on the Indo site can't link it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

FG had a once in a 100 years chance to destroy FF which in my view are a scourge on Ireland. Instead FG now find themselves trailing FF in the polls. I mean what does that say about the party????

They are a rogue party whose policy infleuenced by corporations and big donators. Have watched them closely and their policy is rarely in the interest of those who elected them. They have the absolute brass neck to take credit for and big up the easy stuff like marriage equality and repeal both of which would have passed under any party.

I have no doubt many tribunals lie ahead from the past decade and we will look back and think "why did we let it all happen?" as we stare at a mountain of national debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

Read Hugh's piece in the Indo about Bailey and Madigan. Seems Madigan processed Bailey's intial claim submitted to PIAB but the Dean was having none of the b*ll**** submitted by Bailey and Madigan and decided to fight it. Anyway article is on the Indo site can't link it.
    Looks like Madigan dodged a bullet there, but it's still ricocheting around.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭JPCN1

mikeymouse wrote: »

Has she though? This 'exoneration' leak coming from a FG source from a report they hope will never see the light of day... sure that's grand so.

mikeymouse wrote:

Problem for Madigan is she is associated with a fraudulent claim, the inquiry may have given her a pass. Joe Public may not be so forgiven, see as it's the same Joe Public who suffers from the abuse of insurance claims.

Problem for Madigan is she is associated with a fraudulent claim, the inquiry may have given her a pass. Joe Public may not be so forgiven, see as it's the same Joe Public who suffers from the abuse of insurance claims.
    If Bailey says Madigan only processed the claim form,and had no other input,
    then Madigan is off the hook,even if she was in the 'swing'group on cctv.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Does that suggest that Madigan was the one that gave Maria Bailey the advice?

mikeymouse wrote:
    If Bailey says Madigan only processed the claim form,and had no other input, then Madigan is off the hook,even if she was in the 'swing'group on cctv.

She was involved in processing a bullsh*t claim , she would as a solicitor offered advice. Bailey claimed she was told she had an 'ooen and shut' case. I doubt she is off the hook with public opinion as most see solicitors as one of the driving forces of the compo culture.

Suckit wrote:
    Does that suggest that Madigan was the one that gave Maria Bailey the advice?

She prepared the claim for PIAB so yes she would have offered advice, what exactly noone knows but Bailey claimed she was told she had an open and shut case. Make of that what you will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

why do you think that? if madigan was the solicitor who submitted the exaggerated* claim to PIAB then she is in it up to her neck.

*i think i am very generous in describing it as exaggerated.

Originally Posted by mikeymouse View Post
    why do you think that? if madigan was the solicitor who submitted the exaggerated* claim to PIAB then she is in it up to her neck.

*i think i am very generous in describing it as exaggerated.
    From report in today's Indo;Link

mikeymouse wrote:
    Originally Posted by mikeymouse View Post If Bailey says Madigan only processed the claim form,and had no other input, then Madigan is off the hook,even if she was in the 'swing'group on cctv.

Who exactly is she off the hook with though?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I am hoping somebody can explain this to me please...

Culture Minister Josepha Madigan has said she is "very satisfied" with what a Fine Gael review into the Maria Bailey case says about her.
    And
    Varadkar satisfied Madigan has no questions to answer over Maria Bailey personal injury case.
    Madigan has left her family law firm and is currently not practicing, so she couldn't have represented Bailey, It was still her family law firm though and it looks like she provided the advice and processes the claim form - They are the bad bits, no?

Would I be correct in thinking Leo and Madigan are quite literally bullshitting us, because they thought we wouldn't get to hear or see any of the review, yet they decided to talk about it?
    This is blowing my tiny mind.
    This is similar to stuff I used to see as a small child.
    The only bit that Leo and Josepha focused on and spoke about was that it looked very good for Josepha and she has nothing to answer for (the public will never know otherwise, they'll have to believe us), yet it doesn't and she has.
    Why else would they even mention it, after telling us that we are not going to be allowed to see it? Eyecrazy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

no, i meant why do you think that lets her off the hook? do you think she just filled in a form? that she didnt provide any advice whatsoever to Bailey?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Oh dear, the plot thickens.
    The Irish Independent can reveal that Ms Madigan processed an application by her party colleague Ms Bailey to the statutory body that deals with personal injury claims.

That is quite damning for Madigan. Complicit now no matter what she says. More to come I imagine...

I love how the Fine Gael idiots are leaking the report details to the public in a slow release process to try and minimise the damage!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Well that is Joespha Madigan confirmed as an ambulance chaser, there is no denying it now from the FG shills. The FG spin is that she had "minimal" involvement, I mean you would want to be some sucker to swallow that crap- she filled out and submitted the form to PIAB which means 1) She personally agreed to take the case and 2) She saw nothing wrong about suing the Dean Hotel with a frivolous claim.

So Leo has an ambulance chaser as a Minister while the rest of us are forced to stump up higher insurance costs. Says it all about Fine Gael, they are going to be goosed at the next election.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Well that is Joespha Madigan confirmed as an ambulance chaser, there is no denying it now from the FG shills. The FG spin is that she had "minimal" involvement, I mean you would want to be some sucker to swallow that crap- she filled out and submitted the form to PIAB which means 1) She personally agreed to take the case and 2) She saw nothing wrong about suing the Dean Hotel with a frivolous claim.

So Leo has an ambulance chaser as a Minister while the rest of us are forced to stump up higher insurance costs. Says it all about Fine Gael, they are going to be goosed at the next election.

Yep its actually hard to fathom.
    3 Fine Gael TDs up to their necks in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

They will be absolutely destroyed in the next election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yep its actually hard to fathom.
    3 Fine Gael TDs up to their necks in it.

The election poster prints itself, just need to get Madigan in there chasing an ambulance

[IMG][/img]FG-ad.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement