Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Shefwedfan wrote:
    The Greens have nothing to do with any taxation.....

You clearly don't remember the greens last taste of office.

lola85 wrote:
    Never anything negative reported these days.

Not true, I read about a FF politician who got a grant to tarmac his driveway by using his mother's entitlement to a grant. In was in the run up to the local elections. When FF are in office again the media will turn their attention to them. At the moment FG is giving them all the column filler they need .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Apart from the motor taxation change, what did they do?

FG had an opportunity to become the main party of government for 20 years back in 2011, they f**ked it up by showing they are no different than what they replaced. Took FF over a decade to become unbelievable arrogant, FG managed the FF level of arrogance in less than one term.
    FG have done more to rehabilitate FF than anyone else.

You're 100% correct in all of this, particularly how FG threw away that opportunity (so, too, did Labour on a spectacular scale by implementing savage cutbacks for the little people but spectacular rises for their political advisers). This really was a lost opportunity to reform and I sense historians will interpret it as such.

What's your alternative government to the Blueshirts, though, or is it simply get them out and make some government up with the rest of them?

The only alternative at present is FF with a bunch of indos or a smaller party acting as mudguard.
    The electorate has no interest in radical political change, that opportunity was squandered by the present party of government in 2011. Anyway time for pints with friends. Have a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

lola85 wrote: »
    So that’s it?

Job done?

We are now left with FF and you think sure what can ya do..

We got FG out but after that sure that’s just the way people are.

I don’t get this at all.

You seem passionate in your posts everyday but you seemed to have thrown the towel in now FF might be back in.

And in five years time he'll be telling us FF have blown their great opportunity and the only alternative is to put FG back in...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Six thousand seven hundred people idly talking about fraudsters like Farrell and Bailey yet the unpopular,unelected and impotent Leo in his party socks dosn't think.it makes any difference afa reputational or knock-on-damage is concerned.
    Meanwhile businesses shut and industries are shut down across the country because of people like these.

Just shows how horribly out of touch he is with preactically everything.

And the 1 billion euro hole in St Jamses car park - also not his problem and not his issue to fix. Unbelievable arrogance.

And in five years time he'll be telling us FF have blown their great opportunity and the only alternative is to put FG back in...

It's the same in most countries....Labour/Conservatives....Republicans/Democrats

Etc etc etc....

All you hope is at some stage you get a good un and he runs the country right.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Given Ireland had it's largest budget deficit in the history of the State at that time, you think any additional taxation measures at that point were a bad idea? You think we should've reduced or cut taxes?

Economically illiterate.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    It's the same in most countries....Labour/Conservatives....Republicans/Democrats

Etc etc etc....

All you hope is at some stage you get a good un and he runs the country right.....

Our PR-STV system gives the individual voter a greater opportunity to break up the duopoly though. In Britain, for example, a voter might feel most closely aligned to the Greens but decide they have to vote Labour because that's the only way to keep the Conservatives out. Under our system you can give your first preference to the Greens and a lower one to whichever of FF or FG you regard as the lesser evil. And if people did this in increasing numbers over a series of election cycles the dominance of FF/FG could eventually be broken.

• Advertisement

Amirani wrote: »
    Given Ireland had it's largest budget deficit in the history of the State at that time, you think any additional taxation measures at that point were a bad idea? You think we should've reduced or cut taxes?

Economically illiterate.

It is funny how many people blame the Greens.....in reality they had and still have very little power.....if any power at all.....

Insitu government pointing at the little guy always keeps them in the clear...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Six thousand seven hundred people idly talking about fraudsters like Farrell and Bailey yet the unpopular,unelected and impotent Leo in his party socks dosn't think.it makes any difference afa reputational or knock-on-damage is concerned.
    Meanwhile businesses shut and industries are shut down across the country because of people like these.

Just shows how horribly out of touch he is with preactically everything.

And the 1 billion euro hole in St Jamses car park - also not his problem and not his issue to fix. Unbelievable arrogance.

1 billion isn’t that big when you consider we pay 2 BILLION a year in bank debt.

But sure that’s all forgotten now ay.

Let’s focus on an overspend of 1 billion.

Leo is a coward for not standing up to FF

• Registered Users Posts: 29,282 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Economically illiterate.

Wouldn't have mattered to the Greens. Their proposals had zero to do with the prevailing economic circumstances... they weren't about fiscal balancing.

Their pro-diesel policies have directly led to dangerous air quality across Europe.
    https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/motors/2017/0405/865457-former-green-minister-regrets-decision-to-promote-diesel-engines/

It's 2019 now and still their 'solutions' are all about tax tax tax.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,721 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Economically illiterate.

I think his point was that the Greens would have agreed with anything FF did just for the wee bit of power. They were guilty of aiding and abetting FF instead of being the steadying influence or watchdog the country needed. As such they were happy with the carbon tax hikes which cost motorists big time but gave them the air of importance and as such justified their existence.
    They are a clown of a party imo.

What’s the point in politics in this country so?

No one gets the blame.

Ireland is changing slowly....anyone born before the 70's still believe the tripe that comes out of RTE

70's a bit,80's, 90's are not as gullible. Just watching the 9 news and taking it that everything is ok is going, the government are losing that control.

Leo was voted in because it was supposed to be a new Ireland, he was young, from parents not originally Irish, a change from the norm.....he was also gay.....this was such a huge change

The problem is he is useless and has missed his chance. He is just seen by the majority of people as a bumbling idiot that is more interested in going to Kylie than doing his job.....

If FF had any cop on they would ursher in a new young person with new ideas and they would wipe the floor, someone not mixed up in previous governments, they have done it at the majority of other levels...

SF and the rest can br thrown into a pot of people just trying to grab as many votes off the unemployed etc etc.....the majority of people who actually know about politics will never vote them in.

Imagine if Pearse Doherty went in as leader of FF? he is the type of person who seems could do some change......but gets dragged down with the SF disaster area......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Leo didn't come out until he saw the public opinion on Gay marriage, so that had zero effect on the voters.

FF and FG are no for me.
    Green Party will only be if I do more research on the others and decide I wouldn't vote for them either.

Green Party + taxes are often mentioned together
    https://www.thejournal.ie/green-party-national-conference-4722281-Jul2019/
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/elections-2019/philip-ryan-on-the-green-party-first-they-come-for-your-votes-and-then-they-come-for-your-taxes-cars-and-beef-burgers-38147504.html

The greens don't seem to have anyone capable of coming up with any solutions to anything, unless it's more tax, and they were very easily led (or so we are to believe), the last time around.
    They would only get my vote, as mentioned, as a last resort.

I'm running out of options. Is another civil war completely off the table?

Suckit wrote: »
    Leo didn't come out until he saw the public opinion on Gay marriage, so that had zero effect on the voters.

That why I put the gay in at the end

But I lived in his area where he got voted in for years.....it was hardly a secret so the voters who got him into the government knew.....

We never really got a chance to let the country vote him in

Leo was voted in because it was supposed to be a new Ireland, he was young, from parents not originally Irish, a change from the norm.....he was also gay.....this was such a huge change

This says that his mother, Miriam Howell, was born in Dungarvan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Varadkar receives dozens of similar emails from voters about FG boycott after Maria Bailey case https://jrnl.ie/4726357

They quoted an email that many of us from this thread copied and pasted to Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I don't care if they were from Jupiter and he shoots moonbeams out his arse, he's still the worst Taoiseach in my lifetime, and I'm including Enda Kenny, Brian Cowen and Bertie Ahern in there.
    Ironically it took Maria Bailey banging her backside for the country to wake up to exactly how bad he actually is.

• Advertisement

This says that his mother, Miriam Howell, was born in Dungarvan.

Sorry typo on the parents instead of parent....

Whoever think RTÉ are not the government lapdogs just need to read this

“At the time, Fine Gael sources said party HQ was not made aware that Bailey would be on the programme, and said it was “discourteous” of RTÉ not to inform them that Bailey was due to be on the radio show.“

No wonder Leo was on sOR show, RTÉ trying to get back into good books....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Suckit wrote: »
    I don't care if they were from Jupiter and he shoots moonbeams out his arse, he's still the worst Taoiseach in my lifetime, and I'm including Enda Kenny, Brian Cowen and Bertie Ahern in there.
    Ironically it took Maria Bailey banging her backside for the country to wake up to exactly how bad he actually is.
    I personally find him frightening.

The only reason FG are still in power is because FF are too weak to call an election...if the do FG will just fire out that FF are costing the country millions to run an election in the middle of brexit

If suits FF to sit back and do nothing apart from the odd promo video....FG at the moment are doing enough harm to themselves it better to wait till they do moe harm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,841 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I personally find him frightening.

Is that based on personality or policy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

The only reason FG are still in power is because FF are too weak to call an election...if the do FG will just fire out that FF are costing the country millions to run an election in the middle of brexit

If suits FF to sit back and do nothing apart from the odd promo video....FG at the moment are doing enough harm to themselves it better to wait till they do moe harm

People have good memories, and FF won't make a comeback any time soon.

The left has become totally fragmented and has decimated the Labour party, ironically the only one with any experience running a country.

So, it's FG (plus whoever) for the foreseeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

n97 mini wrote: »
    People have good memories, and FF won't make a comeback any time soon.

The left has become totally fragmented and has decimated the Labour party, ironically the only one with any experience running a country.

So, it's FG (plus whoever) for the foreseeable.

The latest and indeed recent polls would disagree with you.

As bad as FF are, FG always show themselves up as even worse in the end.

We've seen it before, we're seeing it again.

FG will be restored to their rightful place on the opposition benches soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    The latest and indeed recent polls would disagree with you.

As bad as FF are, FG always show themselves up as even worse in the end.

We've seen it before, we're seeing it again.

FG will be restored to their rightful place on the opposition benches soon enough.

I’ve yet to see FG drive the country into 60 billion debt for generations.

But I’m sure you will prove me wrong.

They are all the same:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

mikemac2 wrote: »
    6,700 wouldn't even elect a single TD. Not on the first count anyway, maybe on transfers

If you are posting on boards its because you have an opinion. Boards.ie polls would have made David Norris the President and put Sinn Fein in power

The outrage about Farrell and Bailey is real but not nearly as powerful as posters here think. I remember reading posts here the National Childrens hospital would collapse the government only for Brexit

How does 60,000 euro compare to over one billion euro?

The outrage is going to increase substantially when all our festivals, outdoor entertainment, leisure activities are extinguished.

Personally I mostly blame the judiciary, the solicitors and other groups in society prepared to sue over nonsense or fraudulent claims.

FG would be in trouble anyway as a government if they couldn’t fix this, the fact that their TDs include people who have caused it means the party is doomed, unless something is done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

I’ve yet to see FG drive the country into 60 billion debt for generations.

But I’m sure you will prove me wrong.

They are all the same:)

To be fair the only reason that FG didn’t drive the country into 60 billion debt for generations in 2008 was because they were not in power in 2008.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement